• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Shippuden |OT| The Filler Chronicles (Anime Only! No manga spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlassBox

Banned
Tobi is the Wizard of Oz?
RTN-Special-09.jpg

Sai is French?
RTN-Special-26.jpg

Just a little lower Naruto.... :D
RTN-Special-34.jpg

Jiraiya lives on in Neji
KuGsj.gif

RTN-Special-43.jpg

This movie is going to be such a crack-fic from Kishi.

GlassBox

Banned
Since the movie is out in Japan, people have begun posting impressions. Here's a rundown

• The AU universe seems more stand-alone than previously thought. It was first believed to be entirely a full creation of Tobi's "Infinite Tsukiyomi" that altered the world. However, Tobi doesn't seem to have much control over the universe and it is highly implied it remains even after Naruto and Sakura leave (possibly left intentionally open-ended in case anime team ever wants to do more with this AU), which is also reinforced by this last week's movie tie-in episode "Road to Sakura"
  • The Akatsuki role is unfortunately very minor (looks like the studio just highlighted them for promotional sake). They appear at the beginning and have a very brief fight with the rookies, but they're all White Zetsu clones so they are easily defeated and do not use any special attacks. They reappear in the alternate universe again briefly at the end to actually battle alongside Naruto against the Masked Men (I guess in the AU, Akatsuki really did become an organization for peace).
  • The main villain is named Menma, the alternate "dark" Naruto (apparently Menma is another ingredient in Ramen). There isn't much background given on him other than he has control over 9 spiritual beasts (the Masked Men and Masked Animals, the alternates to the tailed beasts) and is influenced by Tobi for some reason.
  • While Naruto has what he wants in the AU, Sakura doesn't (her parents are dead, and while Sasuke is in the village, he's a "player" and is sleeping around with all the girls) so that's where the conflict is.
  • Naruto recognizes both his Mom and Dad, so that rules out this movie being a part of the manga/anime lore, since he could never be in the village prior to the War while knowing who his mom is.

GlassBox

Banned
Chouji was a baby in the manga too, and I think the anime team enjoys to over-dramatize his emotions and expressions.

Here's a neat little doodle drawn by Kishi of Naruto and Menma (Dark Naruto) from the film:
Kc4r6.jpg

tumblr_m8umn5IjcI1r3knooo2_r1_250.gif

The best part of the episode was Naruto and Bee breaking through the 36 layer barrier, although I think it was a bit lacking in someways it was still epic and way better than I remember it in the manga. Hopefully it gets the CC2 QTE or cutscene treatment.

SykoTech

Haha, I still can't believe that Kakuzu got taken down off screen by Choji. It was bad enough that Naruto made him look like a pushover, now this happens to him. All that talk about how long he's been around and fighting the 1st Hokage was for nothing.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
This whole arc's rubbing me the wrong way. The bad art and animation, we're back at the first couple seasons of Shippuuden at times in that regard; ugly and choppy at best. The storytelling style and amount of time being focused on each one of the legends from the past is just not right, either.

It feels rushed. "Oh, remember that legendary dude with the salamander that we kept hinting about? Here's his life story, all his history with the character we've brought on to fight him, and now he's defeated. Next up..."

It's so hollow, like an excuse to fill in the gaps with the backstory and drag out the series some more with the least amount of effort or consideration possible.

Kokonoe

Banned
It took me a little bit to realize it, but Naruto just isn't quite the same as it was at first where the enemies and characters actually are taken seriously. The fights now are just simple fights you'd probably see in any anime without super powers that the Naruto characters have, unlike how it was where a fight between two Jonin was a big deal. Now I don't mean everything should be a big deal, but the fights are just really weak in my opinion lately, especially with the Kankuro and gang VS Deidara.

The Sasuke VS Deidara fight was crazy, and even the Deidara VS Gaara fight seemed to be a lot better and detailed. Although it's not so much one thing, it's just everything has been doing this lately with Naruto, even before this specific arc, and it's just rather weird and loses the meanings behind previous plots and character developments.

I hate how old powerful characters/villains now suddenly feel so weak during the war. It really reminds me of that episode (or movie?) in Dragon Ball Z where Freezer, Cell, etc. come back from hell and they're absolutely terrible, getting beat in 5 seconds. It taints their character IMO.

Ep 276

I must have ran through the associated chapter in the manga, or something, because I totally didnt remember none of this happening...well apart from a flashback much later in the story referencing this episodes key moment
the gedo statue getting the eight tails piece and some nine tails chakra from that container
what Shikamaru and Darui indicated. Good tense episode and Kabuto.

Cant wait for next weeks episode, preview
Naruto Sasuke flashbacks.

GlassBox

Banned
Episode today was good and shows that even with average animation, if an episode is planned out well, it can still be great.

Some September episode titles have leaked, looks like there will be some filler:

279: The White Zetsu's Trap
280: The Artist's Aesthetics
281: Allied Mom Forces!!

I can't believe we're going to get a "Mom's are tough!" segment in Naruto :p

Really? I thought the animation was awesome. Same with the previous episode. The one that had sub par or horrible animation was the samurai one.
The barrier scene was nice, but everything before that was really bad. Freeze-frame some shots of Naruto and look at how off-model he is. It's really distracting, and I usually ignore that sort of stuff.

This whole arc's rubbing me the wrong way. The bad art and animation, we're back at the first couple seasons of Shippuuden at times in that regard; ugly and choppy at best. The storytelling style and amount of time being focused on each one of the legends from the past is just not right, either.

It feels rushed. "Oh, remember that legendary dude with the salamander that we kept hinting about? Here's his life story, all his history with the character we've brought on to fight him, and now he's defeated. Next up..."

It's so hollow, like an excuse to fill in the gaps with the backstory and drag out the series some more with the least amount of effort or consideration possible.
Agreed. The entire war arc is terrible and filled with wasted opportunities. It cheapens just about every character death on the show and just introduces dozens of characters we're supposed to instantly care about. It's actually being handled a bit better on the show in my opinion, but it was never good to begin with.
I hate how old powerful characters/villains now suddenly feel so weak during the war. It really reminds me of that episode (or movie?) in Dragon Ball Z where Freezer, Cell, etc. come back from hell and they're absolutely terrible, getting beat in 5 seconds. It taints their character IMO.
Yep. These big, epic characters come back which not only negates their initial impact, it cheapens it by having them last 5 minutes. I hope the manga refocuses greatly after this arc, but I know it won't.
Ep 276

I must have ran through the associated chapter in the manga, or something, because I totally didnt remember none of this happening...well apart from a flashback much later in the story referencing this episodes key moment
the gedo statue getting the eight tails piece and some nine tails chakra from that container
what Shikamaru and Darui indicated. Good tense episode and Kabuto.

Cant wait for next weeks episode, preview
Naruto Sasuke flashbacks.
I don't recall it in the manga either. It felt like (slight manga spoiler)
the anime team was bringing in some recent manga activity to flesh out a sequence that didn't make much sense.
Though that could just be me and my memory.

SykoTech

*sees dat Hinata*

Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have skipped that filler.

I hope this arc does more justice to the legendary ninjas as it progresses.

I can't believe we're going to get a "Mom's are tough!" segment in Naruto :p

Just need an episode about a birthday party going wrong now.

Credo

I'm afraid it'll be that way for a pretty long while unless they do something to speed up the story's progress. I hated the entire arc in the manga too, and I'm very glad it's practically over. If there is supposed to be any point in how most of the legendary shinobi are getting beaten down, I guess it's supposed to show how "the new generation has surpassed the old." But these are supposed to be the best warriors of all time. And I also agree that how they're handling character backstories seems like a waste. Even from a business standpoint, it's wrong. If you stretch out the backstories even for just the cream of the crop like Hanzo and others on his level, it will allow you to sell more DVDs. Even with all my complaints, I'll just keep watching it, so I guess I should shut up.

Well to be honest I think it was already odd how the kids got rid or could fought almost evenly with Akatsuki people in the past. I think they already went too far with the reviving everyone so you had to fight them again (cheap way to extend the story without introducing anything new). However some of the old villains are interesting and it is a shame that they get such rushed ending. One thing thats certain was that the fights and stories were much better in the beginning of Naruto. I guess this is just something that plagues long running manga series.

Kokonoe

Banned
Something has been on my mind lately. Have they ever explained how the Dead Demon Consuming Seal technique was learned? I don't recall it ever being explained how Minato and Hiruzen encountered it, and it's a rather odd move, even for Naruto.

Ch 537 was animated this week.

Thank you, (spoilers?)
I got up to half way before I saw Itachi and Nagato and I had to stop. Seems like things are about to get really good.

Major manga spoilers:

Fake Madara/Tobi = Obito. People called this shit like, the second he was revealed 6 years ago.

I'm not even surprised, I just want the series to end now.

Desmond

Lads, no manga spoilers. Some people may be just anime only.

Shippuden 277
I LOVE the song that plays at the start of the flashback.

Ep 277
tumblr_m9khitmSYy1qeqhx5o1_500.gif

This is so far, probably one of my favorite shippuden episodes for the arc. The Naruto and Kyuubi thing is always good to see and just the whole flashbacks with Sasuke (Naruto so lucky to get to unison sign with him) and etc were good to see, as well as the inner dialogue. Kyuubi starting to change, I like it.

Are you disappointed?

Been disappointed in the series since 2005. :/ The HiKa arc was a nice reminder on how well Kishi could write entertaining characters, but ever since their death it all went down the drain. B and Raikage are also fun characters, but the overall story quality is just... ugh.

I feel compelled to finish this because it's the first anime series that I ever followed. :( I'm hoping Gai gets at least one more chance to truly shine, because I don't expect Neji and Lee to do anything special.

Ep 278
tumblr_m9ygka9VQ91qzisjjo1_r1_500.gif

I think they really did the whole intruder in the medic camp well and Itachi :D. Just the music atmosphere and the way they did certain scenes worked well.
SAKURA FTW!!!!!!!!! That punch to Zetsu

Ep 277
tumblr_m9khitmSYy1qeqhx5o1_500.gif

This is so far, probably one of my favorite shippuden episodes for the arc. The Naruto and Kyuubi thing is always good to see and just the whole flashbacks with Sasuke (Naruto so lucky to get to unison sign with him) and etc were good to see, as well as the inner dialogue. Kyuubi starting to change, I like it.
I always get chills when Naruto is talking to kyuubi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom