• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 08 Xbox 360 League thread: Lace up and check in

Phthisis

4ms7e60.jpg

The Official NeoGAF NHL 08 League

Start date: Sunday, September 23

Relevant info:

League name: NeoGAF Cup
Password: xyxy

Northeast
rs7k (redsniper7000) - Montreal Canadiens
hadareud (hadareud) - Buffalo Sabres
Doel (David2Crazy) - Toronto Maple Leafs
Dez (dezed13) - Ottawa Senators
B-Rad Lascelle (UberTag) - Boston Bruins

Atlantic
Mark D (plastic handgun) - New Jersey Devils
Captain N (TagSomethingTsT) - Philadelphia Flyers
Kingpen (KINGPEN66) - Pittsburgh Penguins
epik (epik07) - New York Rangers
New York Islanders

Southeast
Tiktaalik (Muonproof)- Carolina Hurricanes
TheFallen (Xploited13) - Florida Panthers
Sandman42 (Zell Rocks) - Tampa Bay Lightning
bishoptl - Washington Capitals
ghostmind (ghostmind) - Atlanta Thrashers

Northwest
(Che Guevara) - Calgary Flames
blah141 (Cheese Toad 141) - Colorado Avalanche
Trellisaze (Trellisaze) - Edmonton Oilers
DoctorWho (PROTEUS) - Vancouver Canucks
Cold-Steel (CatalystZero) - Minnesota Wild

Central
Chicago Blackhawks
Foreign Jackass- Detroit Red Wings
sefskillz (sefskillz) - Nashville Predators
FightyF (TerraRhythm) - Columbus Blue Jackets
squatingyeti (squatingyeti) - St. Louis Blues

Pacific
Nander (Freaktown) - Anaheim Ducks
Marty Chinn (Darknight) - San Jose Sharks
Phthisis (Justegarde) - Los Angeles Kings
shoplifter - Dallas Stars
Phoenix Coyotes

Subs:
Fifty

Code:
Standings:

New Jersey Devils (10-2-2)
NY Rangers (9-0-0)
Los Angeles Kings (7-5-0)
Tampa Bay Lightning (5-1-0)
Montreal Canadiens (4-4-0)
Ottawa Senators (4-3-0)
Detroit Red Wings (3-2-0)
Buffalo Sabres (3-1-0)
Atlanta Thrashers (2-5-0)
Pittsburgh Penguins (2-8-0)
Dallas Stars (1-2-0)
Washington Capitals (1-2-0)
Carolina Hurricanes (0-0-1)
Nashville Predators (0-1-0)
Florida Panthers (0-1-0)
San Jose Sharks (0-1-0)
St. Louis Blues (0-1-0)
Columbus Blue Jackets (0-1-0)
Toronto Maple Leafs (0-2-0)
San Jose Sharks (0-3-0)
Edmonton Oilers (0-4-0)
Boston Bruins*
NY Islanders*

*indicates no games have been played

NHL 08's league interface works as follows: each participant in the league will play each other member 1 time (for a total of 30 if the league stays full) . At the end of the league, the team with the best win/loss record is declared league champion.

Remember:

-Please post your gamertag if it's not already in the list
-Subs are always welcome (people will inevitably drop out)
-Input the Reebok Edge Uniform code to avoid connection problems during the league. The code is: h3oyxpwksf8ibcgt

Finally, we should discuss if we want to the league to end with the declaration of the best record-holder, or if we want to organize a playoff bracket with the appropriate teams from each conference and have the best-record championship simply be a President's Trophy of sorts. I'm up for trying to organize a playoff post-season after the season finishes, unless everyone else feels like it will be too much work to set up playtimes.

Anything I forgot? Let me know

I'm in but have been experiencing a lot of connection problems with this game. If for some reason I can't do it than I will give my spot to the bish.

Kingpen

I'm in as well. I think we should save the championship/playoff thoughts until we see how this first round of the games shake out. If we have all kinds of people participating, we could do anything.

At the very least, I think having a one game championship game at the end of the league between 1st and 2nd place would be fair to those that played well during the league...

Sandman42

I'll play, but I'm having some connection problems. At the end of every game it disconnects me. Every game I win, I lose. It really sucks.

Phthisis

Marty Chinn said:
Have we figured out what kind of settings we'll be using?

Standard NHL rules, medium game speed, line changes active. I think those are the only things you can change when doing multiplayer.

Phthisis said:
Standard NHL rules, medium game speed, line changes active. I think those are the only things you can change when doing multiplayer.

I haven't looked to see what the settings are, but are we defining the camera angle and other stuff like penalties are 2 minutes in real time rather than accelerated time? I vote for classic camera and real time powerplays.

Phthisis

Marty Chinn said:
I haven't looked to see what the settings are, but are we defining the camera angle and other stuff like penalties are 2 minutes in real time rather than accelerated time? I vote for classic camera and real time powerplays.

I think the camera is user independent so that shouldn't be a problem. I've also looked for a penalty clock option but can't find it; I think in this year's game the synced both the penalty and game clocks to real-time together.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm in. Monday night would work better, but Sunday should be fine as long as it isn't during the Lions game.

Phthisis

Plinko said:
I'm in. Monday night would work better, but Sunday should be fine as long as it isn't during the Lions game.

Well, the league starts on Sunday, but seeing as how there's no schedule per se, just play your games when you find time and we can all come to some decision as to when all games must be played by.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Phthisis said:
Well, the league starts on Sunday, but seeing as how there's no schedule per se, just play your games when you find time and we can all come to some decision as to when all games must be played by.

Ah, got it. Thanks.

epik

If anyone needs to contact me, cause I usually don't have my xbox running (Scared of failure) .. so just msn me!

wildwing3(at)hotmail(.com)

Dez

You should set a deadline for sign in, so that subs can take their spots! What does it look like so far, how many people have signed in?

Phthisis

12/30 have checked in so far in this thread. I'll send a PM out to everyone who hasn't reported. If they haven't showed up by Sunday, I guess we can open their teams to the subs list.

shoplifter

Also, if people end up not playing and people picked teams because 'they were what was left' I'm willing to take the Jackets if FightyF doesn't really want them.

:lol

Dez

Phthisis said:
Both the Devils and the Stars are now open because two people bowed out. Grab them while they're hot.

I'll take one. Do people higher on the sub list get priority?

EDIT: I took the Devils. Let me know if i acted too quickly :lol Gamertag: dezed13

Hey, I was subbing way before most of the people here, from the original thread. Count me in, and don't piss me off by picking someone else before me, or I'LL CRUSH YOU WITH KOMISAREK

My gamer tag is... UltremeMan

And well, if I get the priority I deserve, I'll take the Devils ;). If not, well... I'll have to settle for the freakin Stars, one of my most hated teams. Well, if someone wants to trade, I'll take anyone except Columbus over the Stars.

Phthisis

Yes, you're right about that ForeignJackass. Forgot about you when revising the sublist.

I've sent out PMs to the people who were on the original list to either check in or give up their spot. Some new teams might become available depending; by Sunday we WILL have a set roster (if they aren't heard from by then, their spot becomes vacant).

bryehn

I'm gonna drop out guys, I found the game really glitchy (like screen artifacts and junk).

Tried 3 different discs, and all the same...so I'm passing...

Frees up the Sens for ya's...

Fifty

I'm glad I'm not #1 on the waiting list. (I'm a huge Leafs fan)

A league this big is bound to have people dropping out/flaking. You look like you're well enough organized though, Phthisis. I speak from experience as I've helped run numerous leagues on GAF in NBA and NFL games.

Dez

Foreign Jackass said:
Hey, I was subbing way before most of the people here, from the original thread. Count me in, and don't piss me off by picking someone else before me, or I'LL CRUSH YOU WITH KOMISAREK

My gamer tag is... UltremeMan

And well, if I get the priority I deserve, I'll take the Devils ;). If not, well... I'll have to settle for the freakin Stars, one of my most hated teams. Well, if someone wants to trade, I'll take anyone except Columbus over the Stars.

K you can take the devils.. I'll take the Senators.

shoplifter

I'll take the Sens if Bish doesn't want them.

edit: I guess we are going to wait until everyone dropping does before selecting. I'm fine with that, someone 'better' may turn up :lol

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
If I get to take a team, can I be in a division in which I'll play bishoptl a few times? I've got a bone to pick with that cocksuc..........I mean I would like to get to know him. I kid, i seriously kid.
Don't ban me...again

hadareud

The Translator
I am still in!

There's some delay with the game being shipped, so I hope I get it tomorrow. would it be a big problem if I was only able to start playing Monday?

Porkepik

Still In, I'll be there. BBV has finally received my copy last monday, I did not pratcice very much so you guys will probably destroy me but the game is really fun (my little guy likes to play (well tries to play) as well he is 4and a half)

Phthisis

FightyF said:
Any word on what sort of settings we'll be using here?

It's up near the beginning of the thread: NHL rules, medium game speed.

hadareud said:
I am still in!

There's some delay with the game being shipped, so I hope I get it tomorrow. would it be a big problem if I was only able to start playing Monday?

Nope, that's fine.

Mark D

Are the bolded teams now available? I've got St. Louis but I'd love to trade them for one of the other teams up there, if possible. Detroit, Ottawa, New Jersey, I don't care... anyone but St. Louis.

Kingpen

I don't know why the hell our hockey games 2007 thread got locked... That sucks.

Another thing that sucks is that NHL08 put some minor circular scratch marks on the bottom of my disk tonight. But now, the game is freezing every time I am on the loading screen before a game.

I'm going to go make gamestop give me a new one tomorrow, but don't know how successful I will be. I'll post back in here to update my availability for the league depending on what happens today.

Edit:
I've been reading up, and apparently there are some very serious problems with NHL 08 on the 360. It appears my dirty disc errors are not un-common and it appears that the first batch of the game that was pressed is shoddy. I can't get a franchise game to boot up at all now, and I've cleared my cache. I've been pulling an all nighter for work related stuff, so I might not be level headed right now, but I'm almost thinking of figuring out a way to get my money back for 08 (I know of a way, even though it is opened).

I'm thinking of maybe sticking with 2k8 until EA admits this problem and gets it resolved. Don't strip the Pens from me out of the league yet, but I'll let you guys know what happens today...

Top Bottom