• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 08 Xbox 360 League thread: Lace up and check in

Mark D said:
Seriously, it's times like that when this game pisses me off. But, good game regardless. :lol That first goal of yours that went off my player was hilarious.

I know, hahah. You blocked the shot, and then it flipped over Brodeur's head oh-so-slowly, while he tried to flick his glove to catch it, not even close. Boy did I laugh. I didn't deserve THAT win, but then again, the next game was funny.

I won 9-3 again the Stars and their PITIFUL Marty Turco. I scored from the red line on the side of the goal, like from the boards, behind the back, while fighting for the puck with Zetterberg. God that was an awful. It went between the skate of Turco and the post, and he just stayed there.

However this made it like 6 or 7-3, so...

And Datsyuk got FOUR goals. Hah. Poor other guy, I wonder who that was. He had 8 shots against 32 or something.

Edit : Oh, it was shoplifter. Sorry for the blowout, man, I usually suck at this.

Mark D

Foreign Jackass said:
Edit : Oh, it was shoplifter. Sorry for the blowout, man, I usually suck at this.

Oh, don't feel sorry for him. He just beat me 3-1. The shots were 30-10 for me. That's two games in a row, unbelievable. 3 goals in 10 shots, what the hell Brodeur!

shoplifter

wow, the online play really is half-assed. No way to set up offensive/defensive strats? Super.fucking.weak.

edit: yeah, I was pretty boss in the old 2k leagues. Here I don't really feel 'that good' yet.

Mark D said:
Oh, don't feel sorry for him. He just beat me 3-1. The shots were 30-10 for me. That's two games in a row, unbelievable. 3 goals in 10 shots, what the hell Brodeur!
HAHA! And you're such a dominating player, too. Oh, well, I'm not sad for you, I hate the fact that you own.

shoplifter said:
wow, the online play really is half-assed. No way to set up offensive/defensive strats? Super.fucking.weak.

edit: yeah, I was pretty boss in the old 2k leagues. Here I don't really feel 'that good' yet.
In fact, you can. Just try the face buttons. It's like X and B or something. B for offense and X for defense, I think.

Phthisis

shoplifter said:

Strategies can be set before the game by pressing the right stick in at the line change screen, or during the game using the X and B buttons.

EDIT- Wow, there's a lot of parity in this league. I beat Foreign Jackass 1-0 earlier (breakway by Frolov), but got manhandled by the people he beat.

shoplifter

Phthisis said:
Strategies can be set before the game by pressing the right stick in at the line change screen, or during the game using the X and B buttons.

I don't mean the 'on the fly' strats, I mean offensive/defensive setups like crash/overload on offense. If it's there, then I must be overlooking it, because it's not where it is offline.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
haven't actually joined the league yet, been out of town. will join up tonight and look for a game

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm getting on tonight for the first time--it's my first year teaching and I'm swamped with essays right now.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Sorry guys, you'll only catch me from friday-sunday every week. I'll try to pile on as many games as humanly possible during those days. I must warn you though, apparently my great skills in 2k have not carried over. If you start to embarrass me I could become so emotionally distraught, I put a hit out on your best player. :D

hadareud

The Translator
whoa, what a game rs7k :D

I couldn't have been much luckier in the first 2 periods, I had nothing on you until I got a bit used to your play. Do you have a headset?

rs7k

hadareud said:
whoa, what a game rs7k :D

I couldn't have been much luckier in the first 2 periods, I had nothing on you until I got a bit used to your play. Do you have a headset?

I do, but I didn't feel like putting it on, it's 35 degrees here.

If only my defenseman was a bit faster at the end...

rs7k

sefskillz said:
damn rs, your checking owns me. i had two lucky goals or that woulda been a lot worse :p

remember that poltergiest glitch lol

in any case, I don`t think I can score a goal like that fourth one again

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
rs7k said:
remember that poltergiest glitch lol

in any case, I don`t think I can score a goal like that fourth one again
ya that goal was sick

shoplifter, i accepted your invite but it just stuck on the team select, dunno what happened

Kingpen

Watch out for Rs7k... He manages to have some gameplay where it seems like he has ringers on his team. Those ringers being Scott Stevens, Chris Pronger, Darius Kasperiatis and Jeff Beukeboom all on his blue line. Man, I'm surprised you didn't injure any of my players that game. Your checks were all brutal.

Good one though. Your good, and I'm glad I managed to keep the game 1-0.

ghostmind

rs7k and I just finished checking each other into a pulp... but his 4 goals (compared to zlich for me) decided the outcome... man you have some bruisers on your team...

rs7k

Yeah, I've been doing pretty good. Epik averages more hits per game than I do, so I can't wait to see what playing him will be like :lol

I have to say the hitting in this game is far too easy. I almost feel bad for doing it.

ghostmind said:
rs7k and I just finished checking each other into a pulp... but his 4 goals (compared to zlich for me) decided the outcome... man you have some bruisers on your team...
WHO? I'm a big habs fan. WHO are the bruisers?

epik

Whos up for some game's now.. or are you all Halo 3'ing (Which I'd kinda wanna do since I just got it today ;p)

Phthisis

I've updated the standings in the first post, but here they are anyway:

Code:
Standings:

New Jersey Devils (7-2-2)
NY Rangers (6-0-0)
Tampa Bay Lightning (5-1-0)
Los Angeles Kings (4-5-0)
Montreal Canadiens (3-2-0)
Ottawa Senators (3-3-0)
Pittsburgh Penguins (2-5-0)
Atlanta Thrashers (2-5-0)
Detroit Red Wings (2-2-0)
Buffalo Sabres (3-1-0)
Toronto Maple Leafs (0-2-0)
Dallas Stars (1-1-0)
Carolina Hurricanes (0-0-1)
Nashville Predators (0-1-0)
Florida Panthers (0-1-0)
San Jose Sharks (0-1-0)
St. Louis Blues (0-1-0)
San Jose Sharks (0-3-0)
Boston Bruins*
NY Islanders*
Edmonton Oilers*
Washington Capitals*

*indicates no games have been played

I'd also like to get some games in today, so if you see me on Xbox Live and haven't played the Kings yet, send me an invite.

The league is still also missing 9 players who picked teams and then never registered. Please do so if you plan on playing; I hope we can finish all of our alotted games in the next 2 weeks or so.

rs7k

I'm gonna go online now. Invite me for a game, I'd like to continue yesterday's streak and I need something to distract me from my asshole girlfriend.

Phthisis

Alright so new policy: if you've played a game that ended up disconnecting and registering as a 3-0 loss (or win depending on which end of the d/c you were on), play that same opponent again in an unranked online game. I'll keep track of the win/loss record outside of the EA server standings. I think it's only happened twice (one of those between rs7k and me just now).

So go ahead and play your game again if you had that happen and post the results. It's really not fair to use those games as part of the league.

rs7k

Ya good game. Your goalie was ridiculously awesome and my defense was atrocious this time around.

I think epik mentioned something about an 8-1 win then a disconnect giving him a L. Since it was 8-1, he should probably get another W on his record. There's no coming back from a 7-goal deficit.

epik

Yea... it was a 7 goal deficit.. but w/e .. I'd rather kinda have it.. just to have my team up top lol... but then again it's not so bad ... as long as I win out, I'm good, since I beat the other top teams

and btw rs7k .. I'm surprised after all these posts that no one has mentioned anything about my hitting lawl .. and yes I average more hits per game.

Can't wait to play! .. Possibly tonight, although I have to finish this damn assignment ;p

Phthisis

hadareud destroyed me 5-0. Of all the people to score a hat trick on the Sabres, it was Jason Pominville. Too bad Labarbera decided to take the night off. Yeesh. Good game though :)

Also epik, who were you playing in that 8-1 game so I can adjust the stats accordingly?

hadareud

The Translator
good game :D

I continue to be a bit lucky, Miller is doing a good job for me. It's also useful to pay the refs off.

epik

Phthisis said:
hadareud destroyed me 5-0. Of all the people to score a hat trick on the Sabres, it was Jason Pominville. Too bad Labarbera decided to take the night off. Yeesh. Good game though :)

Also epik, who were you playing in that 8-1 game so I can adjust the stats accordingly?

Doel ... The Maple Leafs!

rs7k

I'm averaging 50+ hits per game, as well as 550 seconds of attack time. My defense near the net is killing me, I need to make adjustments.

Ill be on tonight at around 11. Let's get some games going.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sorry guys--I'm going to have to drop out of the league. I didn't think I'd be this swamped with work, but I have no time to play :( Job has got to take precedence, unfortunately.

Kingpen

rs7k said:
epik will win the league. He's just impossible to play against. You never get the puck!

Epik performs surgery with how well he can play a puck in an uncovered spot on the net. I was really impressed.

I honestly don't feel like I am playing 'that bad' but man, my record stinks. 2-8. I guess in some of these games I'm just not doing enough to get over the hump. I've enjoyed playing against everyone though...

epik

Well I like to change it up.. I don't always shoot, TOP RIGHT corner, or triple all the time.. Like I think I scored 2-3 five hole goals... I saw that it was open or that the goalie was shifting side to side. That's why I think I'm successful with scoring, I switch it up.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I'll be on tonight and tomorrow after 8 PM PST, and Saturday morning between 10am and noon if anyone wants to go.

Holy crap, good progress in the league so far. I'll be online pretty late tonight, hopefully not too late to meet up with someone there for a game.

FightyF

Banned
I finally subscribed to this thread, I gotta do some catching on this, as I don't know how the games are laid out and organized...hopefully by tonight I'll be all ready for some games.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Trellisaze said:
Holy crap, good progress in the league so far. I'll be online pretty late tonight, hopefully not too late to meet up with someone there for a game.
I'm good to go if your game is done.

edit: scratch that, I'm in another game now.

Nander

Oh, shit. I've completely missed that the league has started. I'll sign up as soon as I get home from school, and maybe someone would like to meet the Ducks later? :)

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
For God's sake...if you get an invite while downloading the new rosters, the joypad stops working and you have to reboot. Nice work, EA.

And downloading new rosters EVERY TIME you want to play an online game? Patently ridiculous.

Phthisis

I need to play both Edmonton and Washington, so when you guys are finished beating each other up and down the rink, I'm in line.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Damn, two good games so far. Lost a tight one to New Jersey 3-2, I fell behind 2-0 early, battled back to tie it up quickly, only to lose in the third period. My game against Edmonton went much better, a 4-0 win with Michael Nylander potting the hat-trick and Semin dribbling another one past Roloson. Good flow on both games.

It's really hard for me to go back to NHL 2K8 online after playing this. It just feels better and better and I discover more and more each time I play. Like peeling away the layers of an onion in terms of control. Good games, everyone.

Top Bottom