• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 08 Xbox 360 League thread: Lace up and check in

epik

Whoa.. whoevers buffalo, close game there, you coulda had 10 goals if I didn't shut down your only way of offense there.. your one-timers stopped getting through haha.. and thank god for lundqvist

hadareud

The Translator
excellent game epik. well, it would have been if I could have held on to my lucky lead.

Defensively I'm just not up to scratch, and my deking sucks too.

hadareud

The Translator
cheers! your circling is really good, and so are your one on ones with the goalie.

I'm just happy that I can connect to league games again, I had big problems the last couple of days.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
I need a checking coach. I must be doing something wrong, because I can't hit anyone with consistency. Epik just put an old school beat down on me too. I'm just suckering you guys in. Just when you think there's no way that guy could put together a winning streak.............BAM I'll lose more games :lol

rs7k said:
Good game Foreign Jackass. I wish I wasn't so nice sometimes lol.

Haha, yeah, in retrospect you were a bit too nice. But who knows what would have happened in OT? ;)

ghostmind said:
Calm down - i wasn't "using" anything on purpose... i'm not that skilled. If I got a lucky shot in, it wasn't because I was trying to exploit anything. I take it you provided my (only) negative feedback to date.

You live up to your name...

Let me be clear here. You scored a "lucky goal" from a no-angle shot, and then tried it 4 more times in the same game, scoring another from the same no-freakin-angle place?

That's more than luck. That's either cheating, using an exploit, or simply being an asshole. And I'm really taking pride in being a jackass to assholes.

Phthisis

Just so everyone is clear, nobody is going to be awarded the Stanley Cup at the conclusion of the league season. All we're playing for is fun and the joy of hockey. Let's try and remember that, eh?

Mmm.. I'd have been, half an hour ago, but now I've played a couple of games and need to get some work done. And I don't want to break my 7 game winning streak. :lol

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I'm not flaking out, I promise - I had to go to Ontario for a few days for an EB presentation and just got back into town. If anyone is up for a game tonight after 9 PM PST, I'm available.

I'm also good to go Thursday after 9 PM and Saturday between 1 PM and 3:30 PM PST.

Kingpen

I don't know what my availability will be tonight, but I am taking the day off tomorrow, so if you guys want to get something going in the morning or early afternoon.... tomorrow night/saturday night is a no go for me because I have to go to church...

My church being watching the Penguins games on Center Ice...

epik

Hahah funny you say that kingpen, today is a huge religious day for those who practice in Maple Leafism ..

But yea, I try to get on as much as I can!

Dez

i think we should all add each other as friends on xbox live. I never go into NHL08 anymore, cuz I never see anyone online in that game. But I'd be willing to get games in even if I'm playing Halo or whatever.

hadareud

The Translator
good game squatingyeti! You outplayed me for most of the game

for some reason the result hasn't yet been added to the league ...

Phthisis

I'm going to update the standings tomorrow.

Let's try and get all of our games in before mid-month, if we can. At least by Halloween. I know Halo and Orange Box are major deterents, but if everyone logged on for half an hour in the evenings, it would help speed up the process. Some of us have played more than half of our games, while other have only played on or two. There's even some people who have yet to play a single game.

If you haven't completed any by the 14th, I'm going to cut you loose (nor hard feelings!). I have 7 or 8 games left myself, so I'll make a concerted effort to get those done.

hadareud

The Translator
the game against squatingyeti was not counted in the league for some strange reason.

it was Sabres 3 - 1 Blues if you want to add it Phthisis

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
I'm trying to get mine done I'm only able to play Friday-Sunday though. I'll play every single game in one day if possible, as I feel everyone should get their free win from me :lol . Family obligations just keep me from any gaming during the Monday-Thursday times.

Sandman42

squatingyeti said:
Whoever still needs their free win, I'll be on for at least the next hour or so.
Sorry I couldn't accept your invite. I had a friend over.

I'll play with you guys soon. Maybe after the Leaf game tonight.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Good game shoplifter. I'm just garbage on defense. Can't check, can't clear, ughhh. One of these days I'll be half as good at 08 as I was at the 2k games.

shoplifter

squatingyeti said:
Good game shoplifter. I'm just garbage on defense. Can't check, can't clear, ughhh. One of these days I'll be half as good at 08 as I was at the 2k games.

Jesus, I was getting so frustrated in the 2nd when I took something like 12 shots in a row and couldn't put one away. :lol Good game.

hadareud

The Translator
very odd stuff there ghostmind, the game was now given 3-0 to Buffalo because you quit first.

Got to go to bed, are you up for a rematch tomorrow? Unless you're happy with the loss :lol

ghostmind

ARGH - it happened again - this time with hadareud... i'm calling it a night too.

But I am up for a rematch tomorrow night.

epik

Yea sorry, I haven't been on! .. Midterms + halo heh .. send me pm's or post in this thread if you want to play me specifically, let's pick it up and finish the season!

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Good game Bishoptl. At first I thought we were going to keep scoring some suspect goals. Then, you scored and I couldn't find the net to save my life. Anyone else want their free win?

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
It was weird, the first period I thought you weren't even trying to win faceoffs :lol . Then by the third, you won a few, so I just thought you weren't trying earlier. Well, didn't help me none. Does anyone know how you change strategies for each line before the game starts? I can do it offline, but can't figure it out online.

Kingpen

I tried to get a league game in last night and saw that someone sandbagged me and took the Pens away from me (I got stuck with Anahiem instead)... Is this something that can be reversed?

Sad that our league is dying out...

Kingpen said:
I tried to get a league game in last night and saw that someone sandbagged me and took the Pens away from me (I got stuck with Anahiem instead)... Is this something that can be reversed?

Sad that our league is dying out...

You had more luck than me. I just logged on and... the league seems to have disappeared completely. I know that activity's been very slow lately but wtf?

Kingpen

Well, I just logged in again and now I see that my profiles acts like our league has disappeared. Maybe it has. Bunch of BS if you ask me. The online bugs are killing this game. I have both NHL08 and NHL2k8, and for single player, NHL2k8 is a much more competent title with their superior presentation stat overlays and deeper franchise mode /historical tangibles. Your guys actually play defense, and set up properly in the zone and you actually have a prayer for winning a faceoff. I'm about 99% sure i'm going to trade NHL08 in as I think 2k8 is the better overall title this year. The online is super nice for NHL08, but it only works without lag half the time so that is nullable. On pro the game is too easy to dominate, and on all-star, even with sliders the game can't get past the cpu faceoff domination and then they play keep away from you for the whole time. Some people say this is hockey A.I, I say it is cheap as hell tactics. In NHL08 I feel that I am lucky to keep the score to 5-2 and still lose. On NHL2k8, I have close games every time and feel like I have a hell of a lot more control then what NHL08 gives me.

I guess I'm a little fed up since I played NHL 08 a ton in single player while everyone else went to Halo/Orange Box. I also have a few drinks in me as well tonight so that explains my rant. The last saving grace was the online league we were running, but now since it seemingly erased that from my profile, everything is FUBARD-ed.

At least the pens won tonight....

hadareud

The Translator
that sucks, especially since I would have won the league.

if everyone's network would have cut out while playing me

Kingpen

Sorry guys... Ace Combat 6 was calling my name today, so I had to sacrifice NHL08 for it. Looks like our league got hosed anyway. I couldn't even search for it last night to try to restore it. I worked last night trying to salvage this game for me with the sliders, but everything I did the CPU still pulled their BS that they do. Really, if they made faceoffs a little more fair, everything in the game would have been a lot better experience. But when you can't win a faceoff and spend 3/4s of the game chasing down the puck carrier who can stop on a dime and go super slow and you can't, it pushed the patience level to beyond recoverable.

I played some 2k8 again last night and had 3 games with shot totals pretty even (about 30ish), close games 3-1, 5-4, 1-0 and a variety of penalties called. This was the clincher in telling me I should be spending my single player hockey time with 2k8.

I can see how people get glossed over with with how nice NHL08 looks and how well it seems to control at first glance. It is so close to being a really great game if they fix the A.I some. Oh well, next year I guess...

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Is it too late to join the league? I tried searching for the league today and it said it could'nt find the league. Is "NeoGAF Cup" the name of the league?

Top Bottom