• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 08 Xbox 360 League thread: Lace up and check in

Porkepik

Well it seems I won't be in finally, my f...... 360 has decide to crap out on me so no nhl08 and no halo 3 for the coming month if I'm lucky to get it back in 1 month. Will be calling service center later today grrrrr, I bought it in May 07. It has not RROD but the drive cannot play dvd'S for more than 5 minutes(if it succeed to launch them at all) so nhl freezes all the time as well as any other game.

Well Count me out, I had registered in the league already but will try to remove myself so someone else can take my place

Have fun guys

TheFallen

So are the league invites going out tomorrow? Not sure how it works :lol Just makes me sad when I click on "My Leagues" and there's nothing.

Phthisis

TheFallen said:
So are the league invites going out tomorrow? Not sure how it works :lol Just makes me sad when I click on "My Leagues" and there's nothing.

You should be able to search for leagues. Search for NeoGAF Cup, enter the password, and you should be in. I'm not sure if it's like Chromehounds where someone has to be online for the league to show up, but it might be. I'll be on for most of tomorrow so if you can't find it under the search and join, try again then.

EDIT - As far as teams go, I'm waiting one more day to make sure we've heard from everyone (for example, still haven't heard from Boston or the Capitals, and now Phoenix has opened up thanks to Porkepik's RRoD.

All of this considered, there SHOULD be enough room for all the subs who want in. I'm going to avoid team-switching right now just to keep things from getting really complicated. However, if you want to switch teams, please give me a list of the top three teams you'd like to be if they become open. I'm going to try and give fair priority to everyone, but it may not work out where everyone gets the one they want. Please don't kill me.

Kingpen

Phthisis, I'll give you an answer to night about my status. I'm pissed that they let something go though bug testing like this and it really sucks. I really like NHL 08, but I don't like it enough to deal with a shoddy pressed game that I just spend 60 bucks on... I have no other problems playing other games on my 360 either...

Phthisis

Kingpen said:
Phthisis, I'll give you an answer to night about my status. I'm pissed that they let something go though bug testing like this and it really sucks. I really like NHL 08, but I don't like it enough to deal with a shoddy pressed game that I just spend 60 bucks on... I have no other problems playing other games on my 360 either...

You could try emailing EA customer service and seeing if you can get them to send you a new disc.

Kingpen

I got a new disc today via arguing with gamestop. I guess I'm going to delete all my NHL08 data off of my profile before I start up the new disc. So I still should be good for the league. I guess at this point if it happens again, i'm just going to have to put NHL08 on the shelf until EA releases a patch to correct the issue.

Phthisis said:
EDIT - As far as teams go, I'm waiting one more day to make sure we've heard from everyone (for example, still haven't heard from Boston or the Capitals, and now Phoenix has opened up thanks to Porkepik's RRoD.
You've heard from me now. I've secured my spot in-game as well. Now as for how much time I'll have available this week... well, that could be dicey. After all, the apocalypse is this Tuesday. :lol

Phthisis

There are a lot of competing claims for the Devils and Senators, so what I'm gonna do is this: first people to grab those teams when resgitering for the league in-game get them (otherwise I'm going to end up shafting someone).

Foreign Jackass, I moved you to the Red Wings since you're the only person who really wanted them.

Here are the open teams as of right now (outside of Ottawa and New Jersey):

Phoenix Coyotes
Dallas Stars
Chicago Blackhawks
Calgary Flames
Washington Capitals

If you miss out on the Sens or Devils, please pick your poison and let me know; there are enough teams for the number of subs we have.

I'll be online pretty much all day if anyone wants to get their match against the Kings in. Let the games begin!

Fifty

If I want the Flames, Stars or Caps can I just take them? As a Canadian, I'd like to take the Flames, but I'd settle for either of the other two if need be.

Phthisis

Fifty said:
If I want the Flames, Stars or Caps can I just take them? As a Canadian, I'd like to take the Flames, but I'd settle for either of the other two if need be.

Yeah, at this point I just want to get the games moving. Register with the league and grab one of the open teams on the list (Dez took Ottawa, btw). Just make sure you let me know which team you take so I can edit the first post.

Mark D

Phthisis said:
There are a lot of competing claims for the Devils and Senators, so what I'm gonna do is this: first people to grab those teams when resgitering for the league in-game get them (otherwise I'm going to end up shafting someone).

Senators are mine! I have a chance at winning now!

I previously had St. Louis so they're freed up now as well.

Edit: Ok, crap, someone took the Sens already? Why was I able to choose them then? Should I leave the league and rejoin as a new team?

Fifty

Mark D said:
Edit: Ok, crap, someone took the Sens already? Why was I able to choose them then? Should I leave the league and rejoin as a new team?

Because a lot of people haven't joined. I could have taken the leafs but technically I can't since they're claimed on the main list. I'm worried that 30 people is too many, for a group of unknown players..but we'll see.

Mark D

I thought it might've had the already-chosen teams unavailable when you select a team. And the Senators were still available on the main list, so... my bad.

I left the league and rejoined as the Devils.

epik

I was beating Doel 8-1 :( .. Then I got this BLANK screen, and then NHL crashed.. sigh ... GG buddy.. congrats on the free win :)

Doel

epik just kicked my ass 8-1 but in the 3rd period his connection dropped so it gave me a 3-0 win. Kind of odd how that works.

Doel

epik said:
I was beating David2crazy 8-1 :( .. Then I got this BLANK screen, and then NHL crashed.. sigh ... GG buddy.. congrats on the free win :)
Ah thats what happened.

Ya NHL has given me quite a few dirty disc errors while playing Dynasty mode.

Phthisis

Yeah, I saw that there were two Senators teams on the list. It seems weird to make a league function and then allow 30 clones of a single team. But whatever.

bish I added you as Washington. Dallas, Phoenix, Chicago, and St. Louis are the remaining teams and there are exactly 3 subs left, so go to town.

Me and epik had a great game just now. I lost 3-2 but it was close right down to the end.

epik

Yup GG ;D

edit: I doubled your shots haha but attack time and stuff was almost even.. but damn, you almost scored with like 2 seconds left..

epik

Ahh .. sorry dude :| ...

Yea ... just hit me up anytime.. i'd love to play some games! ..

I'm done for the night though.. don't wanna get behind on my readings lawl :( ..

Kingpen

Phthisis said:
:lol

You and me both. Hopefully they have group deals.

Me three... That guy doesn't talk, but I feel like had me bent over with an 18 incher the whole time.

God damn, Felt like playing on superstar... I would be surprised if he doesn't win the tourney.

Apparently I am the punching bag of online hockey games, I can't win squat, and when I get good offense, I run into superman in net.

TheFallen

For those who are running into the problem of being forced to check for new rosters before every online match, simply delete both your offline and online roster files and it'll solve the issue. It plagued me earlier and many people would leave thinking I wasn't connecting.

Mark D

Kingpen said:
Me three... That guy doesn't talk, but I feel like had me bent over with an 18 incher the whole time.

God damn, Felt like playing on superstar... I would be surprised if he doesn't win the tourney.

Hahah, yeah I'm playing as the Devils. My mic seems to be busted, I can hear people talking but they can't hear me, so I'll probably go pick up a new one tomorrow.

I wish I could have that first match against epik back. It was my first time playing as the Devils and couldn't get anything going offensively. Vengeance shall be mine!

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
You have yet to play me kingpen. I have been playing the 2k series until now, and I've only played one game of 08. That happened to be the no lube probe dez put on me. Looks like I've got some homework to do so I'm not the laughing stock of the season.

Kingpen

squatingyeti said:
You have yet to play me kingpen. I have been playing the 2k series until now, and I've only played one game of 08. That happened to be the no lube probe dez put on me. Looks like I've got some homework to do so I'm not the laughing stock of the season.

Me and you both... I have 2 goals for and 14 goals against in 4 losses in the league so far...
And my goal scorers have been Laraque and Ruutu... :lol Good thing I'm not serious about this game and have fun win or lose, or else I'd be loading a gun right now...

Dez

it's a shame there's only 1 game per opponent. We *have* to do a playoff, top 4 teams at least. I got dominated by Tampa and New York.. but I think I could do way better.

epik

I'm the only one to take out the Lightning and Devils!? .. Well that sounds encouraging. Whos next?

:D

royale

ah crap did i miss the deadline? i've been really busy with work lately and almost forgot about this league.

edit: nm, i see how it works...good to read the first post before replying

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Fifty can you take a different team and give me my Flames? I can't believe so many people have flaked on this league. I would love to play, but home town team is important.

Dez

I must say I'm very disappointed with EA's league effort. There's no stat tracking for individual players, no web interface, no playoffs, etc. It's basically a glorified round robin with no scheduling :/

Fifty

Truelize said:
Fifty can you take a different team and give me my Flames? I can't believe so many people have flaked on this league. I would love to play, but home town team is important.

Sure. I think due to time constraints, and the league interface being a POS, I'm going to sit out the league. I hope no one else takes the Flames between me signing out and you signing in with them.

epik

Mark D said:
Hahah, yeah I'm playing as the Devils. My mic seems to be busted, I can hear people talking but they can't hear me, so I'll probably go pick up a new one tomorrow.

I wish I could have that first match against epik back. It was my first time playing as the Devils and couldn't get anything going offensively. Vengeance shall be mine!

Hahah, damn, now I feel like a sucker. Too bad GM's couldn't really reset single games or something. To avoid the crashing free wins and cases like this. Otherwise I'd definitely take that win away and face you again! :)

Mark D

Dez said:
I must say I'm very disappointed with EA's league effort. There's no stat tracking for individual players, no web interface, no playoffs, etc. It's basically a glorified round robin with no scheduling :/

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. I was really hoping for stat tracking at least. I've had a blast playing in the league so far, but the actual league infrastructure is so bare bones, it's a pretty big letdown.

epik said:
Otherwise I'd definitely take that win away and face you again! :)

Perhaps we'll meet again in the playoffs. ;)

haha after losing 2 games, I win against the best player out of those 3, the guy with NJ. The game was a complete domination on his part, I won 3-2 on 13 shots against 35!

Mark D

Foreign Jackass said:
haha after losing 2 games, I win against the best player out of those 3, the guy with NJ. The game was a complete domination on his part, I won 3-2 on 13 shots against 35!

Seriously, it's times like that when this game pisses me off. But, good game regardless. :lol That first goal of yours that went off my player was hilarious.

Top Bottom