• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 08 Xbox 360 League thread: Lace up and check in

Phthisis

Code:
Standings:

New Jersey Devils (10-2-2)
NY Rangers (9-0-0)
Los Angeles Kings (7-5-0)
Tampa Bay Lightning (5-1-0)
Montreal Canadiens (4-4-0)
Ottawa Senators (4-3-0)
Detroit Red Wings (3-2-0)
Buffalo Sabres (3-1-0)
Atlanta Thrashers (2-5-0)
Pittsburgh Penguins (2-8-0)
Dallas Stars (1-2-0)
Washington Capitals (1-2-0)
Carolina Hurricanes (0-0-1)
Nashville Predators (0-1-0)
Florida Panthers (0-1-0)
San Jose Sharks (0-1-0)
St. Louis Blues (0-1-0)
Columbus Blue Jackets (0-1-0)
Toronto Maple Leafs (0-2-0)
San Jose Sharks (0-3-0)
Edmonton Oilers (0-4-0)
Boston Bruins*
NY Islanders*

*indicates no games have been played

Standings updated, both here and in post #1.

EDIT- Man, the last 15 seconds of the game I had against Trellisaze were ridiculous. He was down 2-1 and hammered a one timer across the crease that I was sure would go in, and somehow Labarbera managed to slide across and make the save doing the splits. Then Kopitar headed back up the ice on a breakaway, was stoned by a desperation-save Roloson, and at the final buzzer, Cammalleri took a shot from a bad angle that went behind Roloson and bounced off the far post and out. It was nuts :lol

Kingpen

Man... how brutal... Well, i'm not doing too bad in my dynasty on All-Star, so at least I can take that into consideration.

I guess I'm the 'easy spread' when it comes to this league....

Phthisis said:
EDIT- Man, the last 15 seconds of the game I had against Trellisaze were ridiculous. He was down 2-1 and hammered a one timer across the crease that I was sure would go in, and somehow Labarbera managed to slide across and make the save doing the splits. Then Kopitar headed back up the ice on a breakaway, was stoned by a desperation-save Roloson, and at the final buzzer, Cammalleri took a shot from a bad angle that went behind Roloson and bounced off the far post and out. It was nuts :lol

:lol That was the best and craziest sequence I've experienced yet in the game.

I had a lot of fun playing with the Rangers, Washington and Jersey too, though it looks like it's going to be a long season for me (off to a brilliant 0-4 start).

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Anyone looking for an easy win, I should be online here in about 1/2 hour. St. Louis Blues -> What I feel like in this league.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Yep, I'm the laughing stock of the league lol. I would like to blame my goalie. FU Legace.

No mic kingpen? Made it even worse, I could only make fun of myself :lol

EDIT: I would also like to blame the stupid game for not letting me edit my lines. It wouldn't let me scroll down to switch centers on my 3rd line. Thus, it made me use the same center for both my 3rd and 4th line.

Phthisis

sefskillz said:
you need andy murray to whip your boys into shape

The guy has talent: you can give him a team of nothings and he'll make the playoffs. But give him a team of stars and you'll think the hockey team was being managed by Sega.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Does anyone know why it won't let me edit my lines? I tried in the match against kingpen, but it would only show like the first 5 guys and wouldn't scroll further down.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
hadareud said:
did I just send you a message without sound? :lol

I have the same problem, very odd to say at the least.

Yeah, that was all kinds of awesome. I'm like, that must be the most informative message ever.

hadareud

The Translator
:lol

I thought it might have been my mistake, might have had something to do with the Reebok edge thing so I just created a new profile without it - but that apparently didn' help either. Sucks.

rs7k said:
I'm gonna go online fairly soon. Just gotta break up with the crazy maniac girlfriend first.

sounds like fun!

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Well, I guess the Xbox Live gods will deny you a victory against me today. Have at you! We need someone else to try to play me and see if there's something going wrong or if it's just me and you that can't play.

rs7k

ok im going on. im gonna play a few games, league or not. I just want to play, I feel like a god right now. A heartbroken God. Goddamn teenage romances :lol :lol

hadareud

The Translator
bloody hell, it seems I can't connect to league games anymore. This is very odd. I tried playing a few normal online games (shootouts) and that worked, but I get stuck in the team selection screen with league games.

anyone have any idea?

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
rs7k said:
ok im going on. im gonna play a few games, league or not. I just want to play, I feel like a god right now. A heartbroken God. Goddamn teenage romances :lol :lol
invite me if you wanna get some non league games, i could use the practice against your heartbroken mad checking. taking a break for now but ill be back on in a bit

rs7k

sefskillz said:
invite me if you wanna get some non league games, i could use the practice against your heartbroken mad checking. taking a break for now but ill be back on in a bit

Sounds good.

squatingyeti is better than he thinks. He definitely knows how to get in the slot. I sometimes fail to score because I'm stubborn with my attack strategies, that could have been trouble since he had some really nice goals.

Kingpen

sefskillz said:
holy shit kingpen. i think i had a heart attack

That was a great game. Can't believe I have to defend a powerplay in OT, almost kill it and then you break away and bury it. Awesome comeback....

For my god awful record, I still think I am playing pretty good against you guys.

sefskillz

Kingpen said:
That was a great game. Can't believe I have to defend a powerplay in OT, almost kill it and then you break away and bury it. Awesome comeback....

For my god awful record, I still think I am playing pretty good against you guys.
we had that faceoff in my zone with 22 seconds and i was just thinking, 'how crazy would it be if i took it all the way down and scored' and then i got that lucky rebound for arnott right next to the crease. just insane, great game

Kingpen

Kings look pretty good so far. If they can get some good goaltending this year, I think they will make the playoffs..

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Ok, I'm going to be getting on now. Those still looking for their free win come and get it while the serving's hot. I might just get good at this game.

TheFallen

So I've been trying to get in a couple matches with a few people (ghostmind, etc) can't seem to advance once we're both in the match, it's odd. Like we're stuck at the matchup screen. Anyone have this issue?

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Good game Plastichandgun. I was playing decently until the 3rd period. Then my team just decided to watch you score over and over again. I still haven't figured out how you guys check so much. My guys just bump in to people. You all lay them out. lol

DAMMIT EA FIX YOUR GARBAGE ASS SERVERS! Can't freaking connect to start games 80% of the time.

Mark D

squatingyeti said:
Good game Plastichandgun. I was playing decently until the 3rd period. Then my team just decided to watch you score over and over again. I still haven't figured out how you guys check so much. My guys just bump in to people. You all lay them out. lol

Good game. You had me worried there when you tied it up. I have a feeling you'd fare better with stronger team, cause you did get some good offensive chances going. As for checking, do you hold the right-stick in the position of the person you want to check? That's all I do really, you just need to have some momentum and you'll lay the guy out. I think I've got the most hits-per-game in the league so far. :lol

TheFallen said:
So I've been trying to get in a couple matches with a few people (ghostmind, etc) can't seem to advance once we're both in the match, it's odd. Like we're stuck at the matchup screen. Anyone have this issue?

I've had this issue a couple times. Try changing up the host of the match. If you sent the invite, get the other person to start the game up, or vice versa. That usually did it for me, can't really say why it worked though.

If that doesn't fix it, it's most likely a NAT problem. There was one match I had against San Jose (I think) that we just couldn't get going. We couldn't even get into the match lobby, so we both put our 360's into DMZ and problem solved.

ghostmind

ffs - it's not like i haven't been playing before in the league...

...now i'm being forced to download a roster update (which takes forever) EVERY time... WTF?!?

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
ghostmind said:
ffs - it's not like i haven't been playing before in the league...

Yeah, this is stupid
The one time it worked right, it had me showing as the freaking bruins. Although I would love a better team, I'm sure they wouldn't like me shitting all over their record :lol

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Seriously, I don't know what else to do. I've deleted everything involving my NHL 08 game twice. I've entered the edge code. I've left it out. I've prayed to the chicken god while connecting and it STILL freezes at the team select screen. This is pure and utter garbage.

Phthisis

squatingyeti said:
Seriously, I don't know what else to do. I've deleted everything involving my NHL 08 game twice. I've entered the edge code. I've left it out. I've prayed to the chicken god while connecting and it STILL freezes at the team select screen. This is pure and utter garbage.

How long do you wait? Sometimes it can take a minute to sync up with your opponent.

sefskillz

yea this is awful. ill get to the team select screen and it'll just freeze and eventually the session will go unavailable. cmon ea, fix yo shit

TheFallen

I've been on for hours and have not been able to play against the 4-5 other league members that have come online. I'm on OPEN with my NAT and I have no issues playing online ranked matches outside the league.

Finally got in a match with squatingyeti.

sefskillz

i havent had any problems until today. when i try to do a normal online ranked game it tells me the ea servers are down

Just coming in to mention that despite ghostmind's tendancy to abuse exploits (he uses those no-angles shots that seem to come in about 1/3 of the time to get cheap goals), I won 4-3 in overtime, dominating the whole game (except for the shots).

Screw you, fucker.

ghostmind

blah blah blah... you squeaked out that win.

Also, why is it we can connect no prob for a game, but TheFallen and I have tried multiple times today with no luck...

rs7k

Foreign Jackass said:
Just coming in to mention that despite ghostmind's tendancy to abuse exploits (he uses those no-angles shots that seem to come in about 1/3 of the time to get cheap goals), I won 4-3 in overtime, dominating the whole game (except for the shots).

Screw you, fucker.

Hey, you wanna play a game? I don't think I've played you yet.

There are exploits in the game, but they are actually fairly easy to protect against.

ghostmind said:
blah blah blah... you squeaked out that win.

Also, why is it we can connect no prob for a game, but TheFallen and I have tried multiple times today with no luck...

Seriously though, I think you should just be banned from the league if you keep using those stupid exploits.

ghostmind

Foreign Jackass said:
Seriously though, I think you should just be banned from the league if you keep using those stupid exploits.

Calm down - i wasn't "using" anything on purpose... i'm not that skilled. If I got a lucky shot in, it wasn't because I was trying to exploit anything. I take it you provided my (only) negative feedback to date.

You live up to your name...

Top Bottom