• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

Bullshit, a stupid player is a stupid player, no ref could have prevented Asham from giving that shit to the face.

Crazy

Incorrect. See what I said earlier:
2.) The Schenn/Asham incident- What Asham did was absolutely ridiculous. I expect him to get one game for it, but that's FAR from the thing that gets me most annoyed about the play. They called Schenn for a minor for the first hit. THEN WHY THE HELL DIDN'T THEY STOP THE PLAY WHEN VORACEK TOUCHED IT!!!!?!?!?!?!?! Basically They called a penalty on Schenn after Asham went full retard for no particular reason. If they REALLY wanted to call Schenn they could have stopped the play and we might have avoided a dangerous situation. Complete and utter bullshit.

Smiley90 by a country mile. I'm at a respectable 92 now. Sorry if it's huge.

inFoT1dzShZbl.png

Slurmer

Banned
Wouldn't be surprised if Giroux suffered a concussion. He's the only one that really looked affected.

That's what I'm worried about. Neal left his feet on that hit too...somehow.

After talbot scored, everyone was up to congratulate him except giroux, who stayed sitting on the bench. I could be looking into it too much, but I think there's a chance he was concussed. Hopefully he was just really dazed.

Neal should get agame or two but won't. He'll be fined and that's it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That's not the point. Asham took his stick to his face, then jumped on him and threw punches.

Suspended for the rest of the playoffs would be appropriate, not a one-game suspension, period.

So you guys remember how pissy I got after Keith concussed Sedin and only got a 2 minute penalty and a subsequent 5 game suspension for it? Look at the fucking state of the league now. It's fucking embarassing.

I mean you've got those blatant elbows from the NYR/OTT game and the Asham crosscheck to the throat today, but what really kills me is James Neal delivers a flying bodycheck to a Flyer (Couturier) who doesn't have the puck, and potentially injures him. The refs don't call a thing, and the very next shift Neal goes headhunting and hits Giroux in the head. It's a fucking joke.

The only reason Hagelin is getting 3 games is because Alfredsson is potentially concussed. The NHL/Shanahan are now suspending people based on the resulting injury, which is a completely fucking backwards justice system. Will the Ottawa player who elbowed Callahan in the head in the same game get an equal (or any) suspension? Probably not.

These have already been arguably the dirtied playoffs we've seen in years and it's only been 5 days. The league's front office is a complete fucking joke.

PS: Scott Hartnell rules

That's not the point. Asham took his stick to his face, then jumped on him and threw punches.

Suspended for the rest of the playoffs would be appropriate, not a one-game suspension, period.

Don't care. Doesn't change anything. Refs prevent actual injuries. Gigantic failure on the refs' part tonight. Should have called WAY more on BOTH sides and been blowing the whistle way earlier. Those types of things prevent injuries. Suspension are for the media.

LJ11

3 games seems awfully harsh for a guy with no history, especially considering some of the other shit in these playoffs that is apparently A-OK according to the NHL. Hard to argue, though. Hit a guy in the head and knock him out, pay the price.

Hopefully the league is going to be similarly and consistently harsh from here on out to try and rein in the dirty play.

If anything this goes to show how inconsistent the league is. Grab a guys head and bash into the boards, no harm. I know Hagelin went high, but he's not dirty and doubt he had malice/intent, just went high, it happens and deserved a game but 3 is a bit much.

Canuck76

Banned
There seems to be a phenomenon right now where the kids win it all early (Patrick Kane, Toews, Crosby, Malkin, etc.) and then they just don't seem to get to that level anymore.

They're not real winners. Real winners win it all, and then they want to win it all again.

It's interesting. I think it's a lack of superstar teams as explained in this column i would like to see a dynasty of some sort in the NHL. It's kind of weird seeing different champions ever year

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
It's interesting. I think it's a lack of superstar teams as explained in this column i would like to see a dynasty of some sort in the NHL. It's kind of weird seeing different champions ever year

Well, the Salary Cap is a fairly new concept, and before that teams could just buy all the star players and OF COURSE they'd rack up shitloads of points and cup wins in a row, because they'd all be playing on the same team. I think that's at least part of the reason - now star players are more evenly spread out and whether or not a team wins the cup depends to a bigger extent on the rest of the team/team balance, which can change quite heavily from one season to the other.

Smiley90

Depends on how the Canucks do tonight. :p

Nice job Florida.

I have to pre-post a lot to see how long I can stay nr1 after we get eliminated. :'(

Also, I agree, good job Florida. Can't help but root for them, same with the Nordiques.

PS, before Tabris screams "salt" at me and tries to compare me to him, notice I'm saying (for the most part) the ENTIRE game should have been called more tightly. Refs should have penalized Schenn before he was allowed to die.

Coins

Banned
Good news for Sharks fans. Halak has been ruled out for tomorrow with a lower body injury. Some dude named Elliott is going to be in the net for the Blues tomorrow.

Solo

I missed the Pitts/Flyers game. Anyone got a YT link showing the shenanigans that you are all discussing to death?

Cactus

Banned
Regarding the Flyers not holding back next game, I know that I wouldn't want my team to have any sort of competitive disadvantage, especially if it might result in injuries. If the Pens continue with the dirty plays on Wednesday, I wouldn't necessarily fault any Flyers player who returns the favour...and yes, I'm aware how cold-blooded that sounds. At some point the players have to start fighting back to protect themselves.

I think it's time for Shanahan to take a firm stand and hand out some harsh punishments to Neal and especially Asham so what I mentioned above might be avoided.

gkryhewy

Regarding the Flyers not holding back next game, I know that I wouldn't want my team to have any sort of competitive disadvantage, especially if it might result in injuries. If the Pens continue with the dirty plays on Wednesday, I wouldn't necessarily fault any Flyers player who returns the favour...and yes, I'm aware how cold-blooded that sounds. At some point the players have to start fighting back to protect themselves.

I think it's time for Shanahan to take a firm stand and hand out some harsh punishments to Neal and especially Asham so what I mentioned above might be avoided.

Neal and Asham had better both be suspended, for their own health.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Smiley90 by a country mile. I'm at a respectable 92 now. Sorry if it's huge.
Holy shit. :lol

I had the most posts in the playoffs thread last year, which was like 1,000 over two-plus months. Almost half that in one week, nice work.

Smiley90

I had the most posts in the playoffs thread last year, which was like 1,000 over two-plus months. Almost half that in one week, nice work.

Now imagine what'll happen once my finals are over............. Damn I'll have to hold back so it doesn't get too embarassing. Also, 1 week of vacation with close to no posting will have to do the trick.

EDIT:

Carkner suspended 1 game, in case not mentioned yet:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=628018

Good, I agree with both the 3 against Hagelin and the 1 against Carkner.

Barrage

I'''m just excited for a potential Bettman Nightmare Scenario of the West Semis being St.Louis VS LA, and Nashville VS Phoenix.

gcubed

I'd hope Asham gets a lengthy suspension too. About Neal, it was hard to tell if he hit either Couturier or Giroux's head in his big hits so I won't comment.

He hit girouxs head but he avoided some of it. The Couturier hit would have been fine if the puck was anywhere near him and he didn't jump at him... he jumped at both actually.

UberTag

Hopefully the Bruins will have a nice deep run again this year so we'll have a reason to stay active.

Cake Boss

Banned
The Pens / Habs series proved to me that Malkin and Crosby can be managed, and Fleury flops in big games, that's why I took Philly over Pittsburgh. As much as I don't like the guy Briere is a performer, and is outplaying that little bitch Crosby and his sidekick Lurch, it doesn't matter how much hardware you get in the regular season if you can pick it up when it really matters.

Uhmm they already have the most important hardware and thats Stanley Cup rings.

Fleury has been in decline since the 09 playoffs.

Top Bottom