• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April 2017 |OT| The Previous Thread is in the Hall of Fame

Bottom 30 players this year featuring Luke Schenn:

YoPvcIc.jpg

lupinko

LeafsGAF, has this ever happened before?

Auston Matthews
Center - TOR
United States
P. Laine WPG 64
W. Nylander TOR 61
M. Marner TOR 61
S. Aho CAR 49

ASSISTS
Mitchell Marner
Mitchell Marner
Center - TOR
Canada
W. Nylander TOR 39
Z. Werenski CBJ 36
M. Tkachuk CGY 35
B. Skjei NYR 34

GOALS
Auston Matthews
Auston Matthews
Center - TOR
United States
P. Laine WPG 36
S. Aho CAR 24
W. Nylander TOR 22
M. Rantanen COL 20
C. Brown TOR 20
M. Marner TOR 19

I've never actually seen the buds have good young players like this, and all our conference final and playoff teams in all my years were always gritty veteran stocked sandpaper teams.

This is just strange to see since I'm so used to Fletcher and Quinn trade picks for old people.

ShaneB

He is mad because more games means less time to golf. :p

Not mad :) I'm not forced to watch any game. I like 7 game series...but unless it's an elimination game, I'm certainly content to be golfing enjoying a nice evening outdoors. Not a big deal to me if I miss some random game 2 of a series.

Why would they care about someone like that as opposed to someone like me who is going to watch every game as opposed to someone that might watch one game? If joe average cant be bothered to watch a 7 game series when his team isnt in it, who says he's going to watch a 1 game series when his team isnt in it? This whole "growing the game" myth needs to go away. The NHL just isnt going to work in every market and with every sports fan.

Because Joe/Jane Casual might like hockey, and might like to watch a deciding game between two good teams? Is this a concept hard to understand? Or he simply might not care at all either, certainly possible! I like 7 game series as I said, but I like to think about the excitement of what it would mean if it was all single elimination. Would the gold medal game at the Olympics be better if it was a Gold Medal Best of 7 series?? Would Leafs fans feel more excited with the idea of one game against the Caps or dread getting swept? But one game you can't have those overarching stories of the great comebacks of all time, etc etc..

And yes, I'm agreeing with you in regards to "growing the game", I even said as such when the Olympic news broke. Growing the Game to the owners means "more revenue streams", which typically means more eyeballs on the sport.

I have no idea where I'm going with this anymore. It's a shitty Monday.

7 game series are cool when they go 7 games, one game playoffs are cool.

Sports.

Where's the bracket so I can pick the Caps to win again for like the 4th year in a row?

Marvie_3

Banned
Don't worry, making goalie pads marginally thinner will fix things right up.
I'll take any reductions I can get. Goalie equipment needs to shrink a ton though. Its so ridiculously oversized.

Michelin man goalies are straight up over the top ridiculous. They also need to start calling penalties.

Just imagine McDavid in the 80s-90s O_O
Calling penalties that should be called would be a good start. Obstructions has gotten totally out of hand.

yyzjohn

Banned
Gonna be weird being in the playoffs in general, but also the fact that Leafs play the Capitals..never had a playoff series against the Capitals in their history.

edit: Didn't Tim Murray take a shit on Kulikov earlier this year? I think Overdrive or some other sports-shockjock show mentioned it.

Don't worry, making goalie pads marginally thinner will fix things right up.

We're never going to see those #'s again, but reducing the size of goalie pads will help out.

It's strange that this is even mocked or disputed. There is way less net to shoot for now than there was then.

Gonna be weird being in the playoffs in general, but also the fact that Leafs play the Capitals..never had a playoff series against the Capitals in their history.

It's also the first time that the Sens and Burins will be playing each other in the playoffs. I also want to say that this is the first Blues-Wild playoff series but I feel like that's wrong.

Edit: nope, Blues and the Wild have never met in the playoffs so we have three playoff series with teams that will meet each other for the first time.

Line_HTX

Trailers using Led Zepplin or other classic rock is overplayed, boring, and uninspired as fuck even if the trailer looks great.

I wanted the Flames to fucking die in the 1st Round, but I did not consider the possibility of a Battle of Alberta. So I'm sorry, Ducks, but y'all must fall. Sharks need to get swept or I riot. They must pay for their crimes.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
How many times have the Leafs made the playoffs since switching conferences?

And they haven't made the Finals since the Caps' inception

not trolling

I totally forget the Leafs weren't always in the East. I was just a kid back in those Western days.

Still baffling.

Marvie_3

Banned
Trailers using Led Zepplin or other classic rock is overplayed, boring, and uninspired as fuck even if the trailer looks great.

I wanted the Flames to fucking die in the 1st Round, but I did not consider the possibility of a Battle of Alberta. So I'm sorry, Ducks, but y'all must fall. Sharks need to get swept or I riot. They must pay for their crimes.
Why are you always angry? Who hurt you, pumpkin?

Calamari41

41 > 38

If you riot in LA, nobody will even notice.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
By the way, Habs fans, just so you know I'm not the only one picking the Habs to win this thing:

Brett Cyrgalis‏ @BrettCyrgalis 3m 3 minutes ago
Lundqvist: "I feel pretty good, but...pretty good is not going to be good enough to beat them, and him [Carey Price]." #NYR #Habs

How many times have the Leafs made the playoffs since switching conferences?

And they haven't made the Finals since the Caps' inception

not trolling

If my quick math is right, they've participated in 14 playoff series' since switching to the east spread out through 7 appearances.

Considering they are in different divisions it's still not very surprising. Like half of those were against the Sens.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
MLSE released how they're going to handle Jurassic Park/Maple Leaf Square for the Leafs and Raps both in the playoffs.

Summed whichever team is playing at home gets the square. If both teams are away and playing at the same time they'll do a split screen otherwise whichever team is playing that night obviously gets it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
MLSE released how they're going to handle Jurassic Park/Maple Leaf Square for the Leafs and Raps both in the playoffs.

Summed whichever team is playing at home gets the square. If both teams are away and playing at the same time they'll do a split screen otherwise whichever team is playing that night obviously gets it.

Lame

Should be Leafs and only Leafs

Solo

Galchenyuk is now the 4th (FOURTH) line LW :lol :lol :lol

He's getting traded for sure this offseason. Fuck this franchise.

Parch

Oh man, the 2 western Canada teams are toast in the first round, aren't they?
I'm optimistic for the Oilers for a few reasons. The 2nd line is finally producing. Nurse is back and healthy. Sharks are not healthy. It's a good matchup for the Oilers.

Yawnier

Banned
Remember that time you should have made the Stanley Cup Final in 1993 but blew it against the Kings? Good times.

The hockey world was robbed of a habs-leafs final that year.

The leafs wouldn't have won but the country would have been a bloodbath

Solo

The hockey world was robbed of a habs-leafs final that year.

The leafs wouldn't have won but the country would have been a bloodbath

True. I was 10 that year and I so desperately wanted to see that Leafs/Habs final. Little did I know then that it was the last realistic possibility in my lifetime to see that Cup final :(

And yes, Habs still would have won. Leafs had a great team that year, but I feel like that 1993 Habs team is crazy underrated. There's a popular myth that Roy won the Cup due to the 10-0 in OT, but the truth is that Habs team had a ton of talent and depth up and down the roster.

Galchenyuk for Seabrook and Kruger pls

It'll probably happen given our inept braintrust. Guarantee he becomes a star wherever he ends up. He'd be scary playing with Kane.

Parch

Just imagine McDavid in the 80s-90s O_O
Oilers were pretty quick back then too. McDavid gets compared to an particular Oiler frequently, although McDavid and Gretzky are not really comparable style wise. Connor is more like Bobby Orr at center.

Having Wayne Gretzky around the Oilers this year has been a factor. Although he's not officially a coach, just being available to chat with has to be an influence. Appointing him vice-chairman is a fine excuse to have him around the team. I wonder what Wayne and Connor talk about? I bet he can teach the kid a thing or two.

This is just strange to see since I'm so used to Fletcher and Quinn trade picks for old people.

Quinn would've traded those picks long before those drafts.

Having Wayne Gretzky around the Oilers this year has been a factor. Although he's not officially a coach, just being available to chat with has to be an influence. Appointing him vice-chairman is a fine excuse to have him around the team. I wonder what Wayne and Connor talk about? I bet he can teach the kid a thing or two.

I think it helps too, but no idea how it can be - or if it can be - measured in any useful way. The Leafs have gone from ignoring the shit out of their former prominent players to embracing them like never before, and I believe that does help the team. The Habs it seems have always been good at this, maybe even excessively so.

Top Bottom