• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
yankeehater said:
Are the Braves profitable? I only know that the Phillies are profitable because they talk about it on the radio out here so much.
i think so, they adjust their payroll etc.. so they can be.

Yeah, they are. The only downside is that they started pinching payroll ever since they took over in 2007. There was practically no way the Braves were even in the discussion of keeping Mark Teixeira when they got him.

Although they did let them creep over $90 million for 2011, so who knows? But this year, attendance was at its lowest since 2004. No idea how that may affect things.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Yeah, they are. The only downside is that they started pinching payroll ever since they took over in 2007. There was practically no way the Braves were even in the discussion of keeping Mark Teixeira when they got him.

Although they did let them creep over $90 million for 2011, so who knows? But this year, attendance was at its lowest since 2004. No idea how that may affect things.

Are there any theories on why attendance was so low? I know a bunch of teams had record highs this year, and most people thought that the Braves would be really good this year, and they were in the running for the division for a good portion of the season.

Windu

yankeehater said:
Are there any theories on why attendance was so low? I know a bunch of teams had record highs this year, and most people thought that the Braves would be really good this year, and they were in the running for the division for a good portion of the season.
location, traffic, shitty public transportation

yankeehater said:
But wouldnt that stuff be a problem every year? I just dont understand why this year would be worse when the Braves had such a good team.

People progressively have less disposable income. Mix that with the rising price of gas, and no one wants to spend 90 minutes sitting in metro Atlanta traffic during the week. It's no longer just annoying. Now it costs money. That's why weekend games against teams like the Astros do better than mid-week games against the Phillies. I only went to one game this year. I want to go more, but that traffic is such a pain the ass.

If MARTA had a direct line to Turner Field, it would help a lot.

That's why I always get a little annoyed when people accuse the Braves have not having a passionate fan base. They are there. But the stadium is in such a shitty part of Atlanta. I know people that actually live in Atlanta or a suburb and it still takes them at least a goddamn hour to get to the stadium and parked. Imagine what that's like for someone like me who lives 90 minutes away from Atlanta; god forbid someone coming in from another state? At that point, you just say fuck it and watch the game on TV to save yourself the traffic headache. People don't exaggerate when they say what a clusterfuck metro Atlanta traffic is.

Yeah I ant even imagine that. I am like 20 min drive from the stadiums in Philly, and I still get pissed about the traffic some times. I would be so pissed if it took me hours to get there. A great thing about the stadiums in Philly is how easy they are to get to by public transportation. SF was the same way, it is bad Atlanta cant do something about that.

ConradCervantes said:
That'd be some stupid shit to let him walk away over. He couldn't help that his players gave up down the stretch.
Motivating his players to not give up is part of his job description. Not saying it's worth firing him over in this case though.

I don't know about Francona, but Fredi's quotes were really infuriating after every loss in September.

EVERY SINGLE TIME he'd be like, "Oh, they're going to come around and they'll be better off in the playoffs for it" like the Braves were just going to magically get better when anyone with the slightest amount of baseball logic knew something was wrong when Venters blew the one game in Philadelphia and Kimbrel blew the huge game in St. Louis (if the Braves win that one game against the Cardinals, they clinch the Wild Card Monday night when the Astros won). Well, guess what? They never came around. Every one knew the Braves were in deep shit, and every game, Fredi showed no urgency whatsoever to turn it around before shit got really bad. It was always the same shit: "If you had told us in spring training we would be ___ games up with ___ left, we would all be great with that." Therefore, all the Braves played like corpses. They all took the lead for granted and expected to totally just fall in to the playoffs because their manager did. That's why none of them played with any fire until the final game when they finally lost the lead. After last Sunday's shutout by the Nationals, six innings of which pitched by ROSS DETWILER, Fredi actually had the nerve to say after the game, "You know, there's a good chance we're in Milwaukee seven days from now just chuckling about this whole thing" when they had just gone from 3.0 up with 5 left to 1.0 up with 3 left.

Holy fuck, dude.

Windu

AnEternalEnigma said:
I don't know about Francona, but Fredi's quotes were really infuriating after every loss in September.

EVERY SINGLE TIME he'd be like, "Oh, they're going to come around and they'll be better off in the playoffs for it" like the Braves were just going to magically get better when anyone with the slightest amount of baseball logic knew something was wrong when Venters blew the one game in Philadelphia and Kimbrel blew the huge game in St. Louis (if the Braves win that one game against the Cardinals, they clinch the Wild Card Monday night when the Astros won). Well, guess what? They never came around. Every one knew the Braves were in deep shit, and every game, Fredi showed no urgency whatsoever to turn it around before shit got really bad. It was always the same shit: "If you had told us in spring training we would be ___ games up with ___ left, we would all be great with that." Therefore, all the Braves played like corpses. They all took the lead for granted and expected to totally just fall in to the playoffs because their manager did. That's why none of them played with any fire until the final game when they finally lost the lead. After last Sunday's shutout by the Nationals, six innings of which pitched by ROSS DETWILER, Fredi actually had the nerve to say after the game, "You know, there's a good chance we're in Milwaukee seven days from now just chuckling about this whole thing" when they had just gone from 3.0 up with 5 left to 1.0 up with 3 left.

Holy fuck, dude.
you should stop reading the post game quotes. I used to read every article until i realized it was a waste of time, they dont say anything meaningful and if they do it will just piss you off. If they actually do ever say something interesting it will be reposted somewhere.

I have even gotten to the point where i dont read ajc or mlb.com and dont subscribe to their twitter accounts either (the only useful thing they post is the lineup and the official braves feed posts that.). Still use mlbtr though, so i still dont miss the main news. Just tired of the main sports guys.

alstein

If the Braves trade Heyward like some rumors on MLBTR are saying, and keep this idiotic staff, unless they get something like Mike Trout or Evan Longoria in the deal, or something of that quality/youth, I'm done being a Braves fan. That would be franchise-cursing dumb if they did that.

BTW The Braves are profitable by a bit at least, Wren's orders are to not make a loss in terms of payroll from Liberty. They spend at least an average amount of money on top of that.

Honestly? I would approve a Jason Heyward-for-Logan Morrison one-for-one swap. The Marlins sound like they've already soured on Morrison for whatever reason.

eznark

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
Honestly? I would approve a Jason Heyward-for-Logan Morrison one-for-one swap. The Marlins sound like they've already soured on Morrison for whatever reason.

You're....joking, right?

Windu

AnEternalEnigma said:
no, just no.

Heyward .227/.319/.389 98 wRC+,

12.7 UZR 150, 15 DRS, BaseRunning 1.7

fWAR 2.2, 128 games 456 PA.

Morrison .247/.330/.468 115 wRC+

-15.5 UZR 150, -2 DRS, BaseRunning -0.5

fWAR 1.0, 123 games 525 PA.

eznark

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
Only if the Braves were absolutely dead set on trading him. I think it's way too early to give up on him.

But you would trade a better, younger player for a worse, older player? Why?

Are you racist?

Enron

Banned
After this afternoon's game, i don't even feel like reading mlbGAF

but i cannot resist~

Frank Wren interview with the AJC today says the Heyward rumors are retarded and completely untrue.

Also says that he doesn't really envision Derek Lowe being in the rotation next year. Thank GOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom