• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
eznark said:
So fucking stupid.

We choked, fire someone!!!!

Who?

I DON'T KNOW JUST MAKE THE HURT STOPPPPPPPPPPppppppppp....................
What, you think that one of the worst Septembers ever happened just as a result of luck and injuries, nothing more? Nothing significant needs to be done, just come back next year healthy and we'll be fine? I'm not so sure, with how horribly a lot of the team played all around through much of the month...

eznark

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
What, you think that one of the worst Septembers ever happened just as a result of luck and injuries, nothing more? Nothing significant needs to be done, just come back next year healthy and we'll be fine? I'm not so sure, with how horribly a lot of the team played all around through much of the month...

Not at all. I would have fired Epstein the minute he put together this payroll and completely failed to address the pitching in any way, shape or form.

However, the knee jerk "just fire someone I don't care who" attitude of despondent fans is obnoxious.

sonicmegadrive said:
don't scoff at The Orioles. They've been playing good baseball lately

Windu said:
5-5 last 10
9-11 last 20
14-16 last 30

ywMn0.jpg

sonicmegadrive said:
I'm just saying, those expecting the Red Sox to just walk all over the O's in the 7 games between them are probably in for a little surprise.

lololol

I hope you got your expectations lowered a bit.

Novid

Banned
HOLY SHIT WHAT A ENDING.

God damn.

Can we get new TV Partners MLB? Please? Because this epic end of season needed some Gus Johnson seriously.

Maxim726X

eznark said:
Not at all. I would have fired Epstein the minute he put together this payroll and completely failed to address the pitching in any way, shape or form.

However, the knee jerk "just fire someone I don't care who" attitude of despondent fans is obnoxious.

Wha? What would you have liked him to do?

Beckett, Lackey, Lester, Buccholz, and Dice-K. Solid BP too.

Yeah... He failed to address the pitching. Oh wait, he didn't.

Maxim726X said:
So is it official? Has someone supplanted the Mets as the worst collapse in the sport (statistically)?
Technically Boston in 1964 was worse if you think of some of the variables, but it's official. Braves and Red Sox were worse.
Doytch said:
Gonzo's expression is how I feel about you still posting in this thread.
OH I DIDN'T KNOW PLAYOFF GAMES STARTED!!! WE TALKING PLAYOFFS?

PLAYOFFS?? YOU KIDDING ME? PLAYOFFS?

PLAYOFFS?

ortonrileygtfo.gif

GTFO.

Maxim726X

The Frankman said:
Technically Boston in 1964 was worse if you think of some of the variables, but it's official. Braves and Red Sox were worse.

Then it was a successful baseball season.

And damn what a night.

RBH

The Frankman said:
You guys are ROASTING Papelbon here, but you give Kimbrel a pass? Fuck that logic, did someone make an error behind him? Shitty fielding? Maybe a bad zone?

No. He walked 3-4 guys when his team had a 1-run lead in the 9th. He came up small. I'm not saying it should define him but don't destroy Paps and in the same breath give this kid a pass.

be more of a hypocrite, RBH. Waiting to hear a logical defense outside of LOL MESS.
Kimbrel's poor performance towards the end of the year has more to do with the inability of Fredi Gonzalez to manage his rotation and bullpen effectively rather than Kimbrel. Kimbrel had never made more than 49 appearances in a single season at any level in the minors over the past 3 years, and he nearly doubled that number this season alone. I'm putting this more on the shoulders of Fredi rather than Kimbrel because Fredi failed to allow guys like Delgado and Teheran to go past 5 innings, and that put more of the brunt on guys like Kimbrel who simply did not have the experience or background to pace himself over the course of a single season.

TheFatOne

Didn't watch the end of the Red Sox game because I assumed Papelbon was going to finish the game. Woke up to a nice surprise this morning.I don't know what the hell they will do about Lackey, and Crawford. What a shitty season.

Can I get some statistics for why the collapses of Boston and/or Atlanta are worse than that of the current gold standard for collapsing late, the Mets?

Didn't the Mets lead from wire to wire before folding at the end against a bottom-feeder? They also el foldo'd on both the division and the wild card late, correct? What makes last night worse than that?

Bread

Banned
I'm not as big of a Red Sox fan as I used to be, so this wasn't as bad as 03 because I wasn't following them as closely. It still hurt though. I was watching the game with some diehard fans who were flipping out and complaining about the Orioles putting an effort into the game, it's like they don't even understand the sport. If the Red Sox had a chance to keep the Orioles out of the playoffs, I know I would be rooting to spoil that. After all the Rays did to come back, they deserved a chance to win it, so good on them.

But wow, what a night. I definitely enjoyed the whole spectacle of it all, must have been an awesome night to be a fan of the Rays/Orioles/Yankees or anyone who hates the Red Sox. Grats to the Rays.

captmcblack said:
Can I get some statistics for why the collapses of Boston and/or Atlanta are worse than that of the current gold standard for collapsing late, the Mets?

Didn't the Mets lead from wire to wire before folding at the end against a bottom-feeder? They also el foldo'd on both the division and the wild card late, correct? What makes last night worse than that?
nSX0g.gif

Actually the Gold standard was still Boston (1964, 1986 to some extent). Thanks for playing though, enjoy the parting gifts!

captmcblack said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_New_York_Mets_season#Regular_season

The New York Mets' 2007 season was the 46th regular season for the Mets. The Mets were defending their first divisional championship since 1988. While the Atlanta Braves were counted as possible competition, the Philadelphia Phillies were predicted as the front-runners, albeit by their own star shortstop, Jimmy Rollins.[1] Ultimately, Rollins' prediction rang true, as the Phillies won the NL East Division title on the last day of the regular season. With a seven-game lead on September 12, the Mets suffered a historic collapse by losing 12 of their last 17 games and missing the postseason. It is regarded as one of the worst collapses in MLB history.

Down the stretch, the Mets played poorly including losing five out of six games with the fourth-place Washington Nationals. They lost on September 28 to fall into second place for the first time in over four months but pulled back into a tie with Philadelphia on September 29. On September 30, the Mets faced the Florida Marlins with hopes of winning the NL East or at least forcing a one-game playoff. Unfortunately, Tom Glavine surrendered 7 runs in the first inning as the Mets fell 8–1. The Phillies capped their miraculous comeback with a 6–1 victory over the Washington Nationals to win the National League East. The 2007 Mets collapse is one of the worst in baseball history, mirroring "the Phold" of 1964, where the Phillies lost a 6.5 game lead in the last twelve games. The Mets, who had come back in 1969 against improbable odds to beat out the Cubs, now found themselves on the other side of the equation, coincidentally, against a team in the Phillies that in 1964 had pulled a similar collapse.

The 2007 Mets finished the season with a record of 88 wins and 74 losses. They placed second in the National League East, and third in the Wild Card standings. Many would say that the main catalyst to the "collapse" was due to the pitching, or lack there of. In a 10 game sequence from September 16 to the 25th, the Mets lost six games. In four of these six games, the Mets scored six, eight, seven, and nine runs. These losses were directly related to the weak pitching from the Mets' starters and even into the bullpen.

verbum

Well, as a resident of Georgia, after this Braves collapse, I am sure glad I have the Falcons (oh wait), the Hawks ( oh wait), the Georgia Bulldogs (oh wait), the great outdoors to turn to in this time of sorrow.
The Braves will be back in the hunt next year. Some good young pitchers coming along. Uggla and Chipper Jones will be back. Heyward will be out of his sophomore slump. Michael Bourne will be here. McCann will be here. Freddie Freeman will have some experience under his belt.
Spring training in a little over 5 months from now.

I know the stories. I wanted to see if there's numerical proof.

The only people searching through history for worse collapses are Mets fans. That was widely considered the worst. There may have been equal stuff from shorter seasons of yesteryear (w/less teams and no wild card), but 2007 is generally what we refer to in the modern era.

What I'd like to see is if there is a reason for yesterday's to be considered worse even than that. The hype of the Red Sox makes it funnier, but is it a statistically worse failure? More games lost? More games lost consecutively? Stuff like that.

captmcblack said:
I know the stories. I wanted to see if there's numerical proof.

The only people searching through history for worse collapses are Mets fans. That was widely considered the worst. There may have been equal stuff from shorter seasons of yesteryear (w/less teams and no wild card), but 2007 is generally what we refer to in the modern era.

What I'd like to see is if there is a reason for yesterday's to be considered worse even than that. The hype of the Red Sox makes it funnier, but is it a statistically worse failure? More games lost? More games lost consecutively? Stuff like that.
... you weren't posting or watching ESPN? I'm sure it was posted last night why. Hell Windu was posting odds and numbers all night, even Cajole did when he got back after is Braves-collapse high.

Braves had a 10.5 game lead on August 29th I believe (maybe 28th?) and an 8.5 game lead Sept. 1.
Boston had as much as a 9 game lead Sept 1.

I know there are more numbers back in this thread.

Oh trust me, BSPN went heel on the Red Sox. The Braves are so lucky because in some respects their collapse was a little bigger. However due to how the Rays game went w/ Boston's game it was ignored.

verbum said:
Well, as a resident of Georgia, after this Braves collapse, I am sure glad I have the Falcons (oh wait), the Hawks ( oh wait), the Georgia Bulldogs (oh wait), the great outdoors to turn to in this time of sorrow.

And also you guys lost the Atlanta Thrashers to Winnipeg.

Levyne

Banned
verbum said:

# 21 Georgia Tech is 4-0!

Was also going to mention the Thrashers but got beat

TheNatural

My Member!
The Frankman said:
... you weren't posting or watching ESPN? I'm sure it was posted last night why. Hell Windu was posting odds and numbers all night, even Cajole did when he got back after is Braves-collapse high.

Braves had a 10.5 game lead on August 29th I believe (maybe 28th?) and an 8.5 game lead Sept. 1.
Boston had as much as a 9 game lead Sept 1.

I know there are more numbers back in this thread.

Yeah this is pretty much the most epic collapses ever, in the same season.

Honestly, I don't even remember the Mets collapse, maybe because their entire team was a bunch of overpaid old fucks at the twilight of their careers.

And it took completely away from the fact the real story wasn't a collapse: it was the Rockies batshit run from hell where they won 13 of 14 to end the year, then another 7 in a row in the playoffs to get to the World Series (where they were trounced.)

I mean the Rays and Cardinals obviously had to play well to catch up, but they didn't do some crazy shit like go 13-1 to end the year to barely get in, it was more of a collapse on the Braves and Red Sox than anything else.

But to show how meaningless momentum is, St. Louis in 2006 almost had their own epic collapse, they went 3-9 to close the year at a really horrible 83-78 clip that won that horrible division, then they went on to win the World Series - the worst regular season record ever to do so I believe.

andthebeatgoeson

After watching the Braves fans 2 nights ago, it's hard to feel bad for the city. I stopped cheering for the Phils just because it seemed cruel. I know some of their players were terrible in Sept but they were booing all throughout the night, had no sense of the situation, where only cheering for the Astros. Bad karma came to bite this city in the ass. 90% of the upper deck was empty on the 161st game. I guess College Football is King of the South but it felt bad to watch. I'm guessing the Phils couldn't do anything else but the Cardinals have some decent pitching and I don't want to see the 2010 playoff Phils again. Hope we keep hitting.

verbum

Khold said:
# 21 Georgia Tech is 4-0!

Was also going to mention the Thrashers but got beat

Good for Tech, it is nice for them to be 4-0 before their inevitable collapse. And the Thrashers probably needed to be somewhere with ice and snow to start. hard to get excited about hockey when it is 85 degrees outside.

I'm not using this as an excuse because other teams went through this and weren't affected, but it's amazing how the Braves and Red Sox both turned to utter shit after the Hurricane Irene mess. It was seriously like someone flipped a switch on them.

verbum

AnEternalEnigma said:
I'm not using this as an excuse because other teams went through this and weren't affected, but it's amazing how the Braves and Red Sox both turned to utter shit after the Hurricane Irene mess. It was seriously like someone flipped a switch on them.
In other words, like Irene, they blew it?

I can't stand Carl Crawford even more now after I just watched him being interviewed in the locker room. I couldn't understand a word he was saying because he was mumbling and he was completely void of any emotion.

andthebeatgoeson

AnEternalEnigma said:
What does Irene have anything to do with it?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
The Frankman said:
Whoops, Braves led by 8.5 on September 5th, not the 1st.
depends on how you look at it. Braves had a bigger lead going into september. The mets had a lead of 7 games on september 12th with 17 to go (their largest lead of the season, on the division at least), the braves had a 5.5 game lead on september 10th with 17 to go.

Braves with 7 left 1 in the loss column up. (1.5 up)
Mets with 7 left 2 in the loss column up. (2 up)

14 left Braves 4 up in the loss column (4.5 up)..ouch
14 left Mets 3 up in the loss column (2.5 up)

21 left Braves up 7 in the loss column (6.5 up)
21 left Mets up 6 in the loss column (6 up)

28 left Braves 9 up in the loss column (8.5 up)
28 left Mets 3 up in the loss column (3 up)

Mets had the bigger collapse in a short time frame, braves had the bigger collapse if you look at the whole month. And i'm sure boston is just as bad.

the question is, when will it be the phillies turn?

Also, the Braves blew a Wild Card berth that is more volatile due to the unbalanced schedule. The Braves didn't get to play 15 games against the Astros. The Mets choked a division and finished two games back, not one game. The division is the bigger deal.

lucius

This Red Sox team had by far the most talent compared to those Mets/Braves teams so that makes it the most suprising collapse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom