• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkgran

captmcblack said:
There is no analog of this in any other sport.

The 162 game marathon nature of baseball makes it a unique thing. Watching meltdowns like that is like watching a natural disaster unfold, a meteor hurtling towards Earth. The final sprint towards the postseason, the fear/potential of game 163...it's just impossible in anything else.

There are epic things in other sports...just not the same way as in baseball.

Yep. I love this game so much. Nothing touches it in my opinion.

The Frankman said:
You guys are ROASTING Papelbon here, but you give Kimbrel a pass? Fuck that logic, did someone make an error behind him? Shitty fielding? Maybe a bad zone?

No. He walked 3-4 guys when his team had a 1-run lead in the 9th. He came up small. I'm not saying it should define him but don't destroy Paps and in the same breath give this kid a pass.

be more of a hypocrite, RBH.

He didn't decide to pitch to Peance though.

ToxicAdam

h3ro said:
M1tuW.jpg

dance3.gif

sangreal said:
Could be worse:

Code:
David Schoenfield, ESPN.com	
East champ: Red Sox		East champ: Braves
Central champ: White Sox	Central champ: Reds
West champ: Rangers		West champ: Rockies
Wild card: A's			Wild card: Giants
Champion: Red Sox		Champion: Braves

LOL I knew there was a worse one, but man you could pretty much just paste that entire predication sheet bar for maybe half a dozen.

I forgot someone (did anyone else) didn't even expect the Phillies or Yankees to make the playoffs.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
He didn't decide to pitch to Peance though.
True:
C Kimbrel relieved J Venters.
P Polanco singled to right.
P Orr ran for P Polanco.
C Ruiz struck out swinging.
B Francisco hit for R Madson.
B Francisco walked, P Orr to second.
J Rollins walked, P Orr to third, B Francisco to second.
C Utley hit sacrifice fly to left, P Orr scored.
H Pence walked, B Francisco to third, J Rollins to second.
K Medlen relieved C Kimbrel.
M Martinez fouled out to third.
But if he did his job it doesn't come to that. Look, I agree kid had a great year and was rode hard, but let's not introduce bias into it. He had a horrible September.

cdyhybrid

The Frankman said:
You guys are ROASTING Papelbon here, but you give Kimbrel a pass? Fuck that logic, did someone make an error behind him? Shitty fielding? Maybe a bad zone?

No. He walked 3-4 guys when his team had a 1-run lead in the 9th. He came up small. I'm not saying it should define him but don't destroy Paps and in the same breath give this kid a pass.

be more of a hypocrite, RBH. Waiting to hear a logical defense outside of LOL MESS.

Papelbon is a veteran. He has a ring.

lazybones18 said:
I know, WTF was that?
Perhaps they were tears of happiness due to realizing he had a gutless coward leading off the lineup, and Collins won't have to deal with his gimp ass anymore once someone vastly overpays him.

cdyhybrid said:
Papelbon is a veteran. He has a ring.
... okay... so if you have a bad month as a rook it's ok?

Pap smear actually had a better month than Kimbrel by the numbers and was but in situations he wasn't familiar with too (pitching more than 1 inning). They both failed, they both should shoulder blame.
ConradCervantes said:
Perhaps they were tears of happiness due to realizing he had a gutless coward leading off the lineup, and Collins won't have to deal with his gimp ass anymore once someone vastly overpays him.
Why you so bitter? Reyes had it locked up in July anyway, only his injury made it a contest.

The Frankman said:

Pap smear actually had a better month than Kimbrel by the numbers and was but in situations he wasn't familiar with too (pitching more than 1 inning). They both failed, they both should shoulder blame.

Why you so bitter?
It helps that Papelbon is an unsympathetic dickhead. Kimbrel is a rook. He choked, that much is true, but having the entire season crumbling around him with that little experience would be demoralizing.

cdyhybrid

The Frankman said:

Why you so bitter? Reyes had it locked up in July anyway, only his injury made it a contest.

Well obviously he fucked up, but it's his first year, it's not like they're going to give up on him because he blew that. Papelbon might get run out of Boston by a mob with torches and pitchforks.

sangreal

Well I would blame the 3rd base coach or even Crawford more than Papelbon, but I will revel in Papelbon's misfortune because he is a prick. Also, he is on the Red Sox and Kimbrel is on some NL team

ConradCervantes said:
It helps that Papelbon is an unsympathetic dickhead. Kimbrel is a rook. He choked, that much is true, but having the entire season crumbling around him with that little experience would be demoralizing.
I never said we should troll him, just blame him for blowing the game and Atlanta's chances.

And I don't give a flying fuck about personal attitude. Bottom line, who did what on the field to help/kill their team. Again, leave bias out of it.

sangreal said:
A prolonged injury actually sounds like a pretty easy way to ensure your BA doesn't drop
True, but it was during a time Reyes was fucking UNCONSCIOUS. People were calling him an MVP contender in July, he was so ridiculously hot. I think he was at .355 before the injury, and then after a few months off his average dropped 30-40 points. Never was the same.

carlos

Not making any excuses for him, but Kimbrel was squeezed on the Francisco and Rollins at bats, both had sliders right down the middle called balls.
and honestly it happened to him often during the year, umps were missing those calls on that pitch every once in a while.

but whatever, the loss and collapse is on the offense, if they didn't suck so much, the bullpen wouldn't have been overworked; 50-something one run games, and 80-something 2 run games; too little margin for error

Mrbob said:
Now that the Red Sox are finished Theo Epstein will be joining the Cubs tomorrow, right?
We definitely need to fire somebody (players, coaches, some of both, I don't know yet), I know there were a lot of injuries but that whole month was just unacceptable.

I wonder how much Papelbon hurt his value (he's in a contract year remember) by blowing that save, and almost blowing the one the day before too, though...

bjb

Banned
Atlanta is just baffling to me.

For starters, the team just seems to feed off of the mentality of the city, which is lacking emotion and general interest. Which seems to extend to all area sports.

When you watched their bench throughout the past few weeks, nearly half the players appear to be unmoved. While the others seem completely tense and on edge. So much for Chipper's "pep talk" before tonight's finale.

Speaking of Chipper Jones, it's time for him to retire. I doubt he will because I think he has a huge option on the table for next year(?). Regardless, having him as your leader - along with Fredi, is probably the worst tandem to pickup and motivate young players. Now granted despite the fact he choked tonight, he's had a fairly productive year. However, I truly believe that if the Braves ever want to win consistently - they need a new identity. Having an aging, "old school", wife cheating third basemen as the continued face of your franchise isn't doing a damn thing for anybody except padding his stats for Cooperstown.

Likewise Fredi Gonzalez seems out of touch with reality (lol @ starting Derek Lowe last game). For whatever reason ,every time he gives an interview, he just comes off as a bafoon. Who really gives a shit about Derek Lowe's past, his role, or what he might be capable of at some point. He's pitched like shit for the entire season, and you throw him out there in a must win game? Surely one of their young arms would've been a better option. You know, the arms Wren refused to trade for Beltran or Hunter Pence (who ironically dealt the dagger tonight) with. I mean, as a player, you pretty much have to know that unless your offense (which has shit the bed all month) tees off, when Derek Lowe's pitching - you're going to lose. Period.

In conclusion, I really have no clue what to make of their franchise moving forward. On one hand, they do have quite a few notable prospects. Alternatively, a good portion of their roster / lineup is simply not capable of overtaking the upper tier teams in the national league. So unless said prospects step up big time, I anticipate even more mediocrity in the coming year.

Oh and fuck Jack Wilson. Somewhere Yunel Escobar is laughing while highlighting his hair.

eznark

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
We definitely need to fire somebody (players, coaches, some of both, I don't know yet), I know there were a lot of injuries but that whole month was just unacceptable.

I wonder how much Papelbon hurt his value (he's in a contract year remember) by blowing that save, and almost blowing the one the day before too, though...

So fucking stupid.

We choked, fire someone!!!!

Who?

I DON'T KNOW JUST MAKE THE HURT STOPPPPPPPPPPppppppppp....................

eznark

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
TAKE IT TO THE POSTSEASON FORUM!

Last night deserves it's own thread, I'm not ready to move beyond one of the greatest nights in the history of the greatest sport on the planet just to make your life easier you selfish bastard!

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/29/bill-buckner-strikes-again/?hp said:
On Sept. 4, the day after the Red Sox’ playoff probability peaked, H.B.O. aired an episode of “Curb Your Enthusiasm.” The show is the brainchild of Larry David, the creator of Seinfeld.

In the episode, “Mister Softee”, Mr. Buckner was featured prominently. Jeered by Red Sox fans everywhere he went, he dropped a baseball autographed by Mookie Wilson out a window. But he restored his reputation after catching a baby dropped from a burning building.

Since the Red Sox’ curse already seemed to have been lifted after 2004, Mr. Buckner’s redemption was superfluous: a case of two 180-degree rotations turning the Red Sox’ karma all the way back around. From the day that the episode aired, the Red Sox went 6-18.

The program was fiction, of course. But you couldn’t have scripted what happened last night. And Mr. David is a Yankees fan.
the Bucker curse anew! all hail Larry David!

and who's the tread title from, y2kev? damn oxygen must be funky around amsterdam ave, ey?

edit: i see now, i thought he promoted the tentative postseason thread from last night and changed the title. my baddies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom