• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PS4 MLB 14: The Show Online League Thread - Will it work?

McNei1y

1. Sanjuro - Red Sox
2. Phee - Marlins
3. WhatRobEats - Reds
4. Graywolf323 - Orioles
5. FMT - LA Dodgers
6, DCX - Yankees
7. McNei1y - Nats
8. S1lent - Mariners
9. PistolPete - ???
10. BaChuck - Mets
11. CrimsonCommie - Braves
12. rinse82 - Blue Jays
13. Dmncnby2k9 - Rays
14. BigJonsson - LA Angels
15, v1lla21 - Giants
16. Prototype Viktor - Tigers
17. JABEE - Phillies
18. DoctorZ - Cubs
19. oatmeal - ???
20. -tetsuo- - Astros
21. Ferny - Yankees/Rays (both claimed) - Wants to play DCX for the Yankees.
22. TheDrizzlerJ11 - Marlins - Wants to play Phee for the Marlins.

NL East

Nats - McNei1y
Mets - BaChuck
Braves - CrimsonCommie
Marlins - Pheenix/Drizz
Phillies - Jabee

NL Central

Pirates
Reds - WhatRobEats
Cubs - DoctorZ
Cardinals
Brewers

NL West

Dodgers - FMT
Giants - v1lla21
Rockies
Padres
Diamondbacks

AL East

Red Sox - Sanjuro
Orioles - Graywolf323
Yankees - DCX/Ferny
Blue Jays - rinse82
Rays - Dmncnby2k9

AL Central

Twins
Tigers - Prototype Viktor
Indians
White Sox
Royals

AL West

Rangers
Angels - BigJonsson
Mariners - S1lent
As
Astros - -tetsuo-

???

PistolPete
oatmeal

you guys why are we trying anymore

online is trash according to everyone

league is dead

Stop your sarcasm. You know we'll have enough people to play in the shitty league.

Ferny

FMT even said he didnt have many problems. I also don't think we should do a totally full league. It never works out. Maybe limit it at 25 or something.

McNei1y

FMT even said he didnt have many problems. I also don't think we should do a totally full league. It never works out. Maybe limit it at 25 or something.

I have a suspicion that we'll only have about 8 of these 22 in the league.

McNei1y

I agree. The league needs to stabilize before we worry about the amount of people. Look at the 2k league. We had about 10 people in that league, yet it shit the bed by game 4 due to lack of interest.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So Best fans in Baseball™ don't have a MLB player. SMH.

Ez isn't playing?

NL Central is a wasteland.

I've played 4 games online. 2 of them ran decent. Another was good until we lost connection. And the last one was shitty.

So far the lag hasn't really affected the timing with pitching and hitting, which I think they mentioned would be the case with their new infrastructure. The problem is the lag is affecting the game visually. For example, about 4 times now I've advanced the runners when I watched an outfielders overthrow his man, only to have the catcher wait for me at home with the ball magically in his glove. Same issue when I've gotten into rundowns.

I can't really say which lag makes the game more unplayable, as the visual hiccups can really cost you a game. But it is nice to have the input timing on point for once.

Sanjuro

Show always comes out when I'm trying to lock down a semester.

So, I'm here, just less focused on games at the moment. I'm going to be picking it up today and dicking around with the interface modes.

ecnal

i played a couple earlier today.

one game was pretty good -- some minor fielder warping stuff, but nothing that would have dramatically influenced the outcome of any specific play.

the other game, though... yeah... unplayable.

also can't connect to the servers anymore.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
i played a couple earlier today.

one game was pretty good -- some minor fielder warping stuff, but nothing that would have dramatically influenced the outcome of any specific play.

the other game, though... yeah... unplayable.

also can't connect to the servers anymore.

I keep getting kicked from the servers today so I haven't tried an online game yet.

Thats The Show i know!

Id actually really like to buy the game and be a part of the league but nothing frustrates me more than poor online performance.

Sanjuro

Are you not a fan of the offline stuff?

The offline stuff here isn't different though.

MLB is closer to Madden in regards of slapping together a quick coat of paint and ignoring everything else. The sluggish gameplay is still intact here.

McNei1y

I do agree with CB about the CPU. It's just boring. No rush out there like beating another human in a sports game.

Thats The Show i know!

Id actually really like to buy the game and be a part of the league but nothing frustrates me more than poor online performance.

you don't know the show at all! you haven't owned a ps3 in like 5 years!

p.s.

but you actually do know the show. i'll give you the real deal after i play some online games. i have no reason to lie!

Ferny

In MLB all i care about is the offline stuff. The online I could give two shits for. In Madden, I'm totally the other way around. I only touch the online league stuff. Don't even mess with the franchise or Ultimate mode or whatever.

In MLB all i care about is the offline stuff. The online I could give two shits for. In Madden, I'm totally the other way around. I only touch the online league stuff. Don't even mess with the franchise or Ultimate mode or whatever.

playing single player sports games is worthless

i played an online gave vs. pheeniks. performance was.... ok. it's not bad and it's not exactly good. for the most part it is pretty smooth. the problem with baseball is that the timing needs to be so precise that even a little stutter or jankiness can really fuck you over. overall i would have no issue playing with that type of performance so i'm in for the league if that's how it will be.

as for my game vs. pheeniks, he made the mistake of pitching to puig and he paid the ultimate price! wait.... not the ultimate price because it wasn't a homerun but it was a monster triple! 3-1 dodgers!

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Did you know I actually have the game...

He posted a direct response to me hence my reply to him.

I know I know, JEEZ. I actually think the Road to the Show is better than most, if not all sports single player modes.

Weirdly enough between posting in here and watching the giantbomb quicklook, i kinda wanna play a baseball game. Ill wait and see what more impressions are like of the online mode though.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Does it work??

I might want to play someone later. Gonna play my madden game with Welly first tho

I know I know, JEEZ. I actually think the Road to the Show is better than most, if not all sports single player modes.
Yea, I think so too. Oddly enough though I'd kinda like it if they added some of those Hokey NBA2k14 off the court cut scenes and dialogue to it. It's so bad it's good, you know what I'm talking about phee, right? lol

oatmeal

Banned
17 games? How does that work?

I'm in with the Indians!

Is there multiple seasons or just one? I want to do a draft with ya'll!

McNei1y

17 games? How does that work?

I'm in with the Indians!

Is there multiple seasons or just one? I want to do a draft with ya'll!

No idea how offseason works online lol.

IIRC, As for 17 games, I believe a schedule is randomly generated and you just play the games as the "week" advances. Last year we had a 4 game set. Then gave a deadline when one game would be simmed and the next game would be unlocked. So say you play:

Me, FMT, Phee, and Ferny in the first week and that the deadline for the next game is 4 days from now. Your 5th opponent (let's say sanjuro) opens up.

Played an online vs match against a friend. Stutters here and there but for the most part it played well. No problems with pitching or hitting. He did get a blue screen crash though. I was worried about the game online but this single experience was a relief. Hope it was not a fluke.

oatmeal

Banned
No idea how offseason works online lol.

IIRC, As for 17 games, I believe a schedule is randomly generated and you just play the games as the "week" advances. Last year we had a 4 game set. Then gave a deadline when one game would be simmed and the next game would be unlocked. So say you play:

Me, FMT, Phee, and Ferny in the first week and that the deadline for the next game is 4 days from now. Your 5th opponent (let's say sanjuro) opens up.

Interesting, so it's not as strict as Madden then...weird.

Played an online vs match against a friend. Stutters here and there but for the most part it played well. No problems with pitching or hitting. He did get a blue screen crash though. I was worried about the game online but this single experience was a relief. Hope it was not a fluke.

i'm not sure where people are getting that the online performance is god awful or something. it's not and it wasn't last year either. like i said before the problem is that even a millisecond of lag can mean the difference between a homerun and a pop fly but there is just no way you can ever have a 100% lag free game over the internet.

the league will be fine as long as people don't get butthurt and quit if they get dealt a lag spike at the wrong time or some wonky play happens because of lag

McNei1y

I honestly don't remember anything deal breaking last year and I played over 100+ games online. We had about 15 in the league, then I played about another 80 in Diamond Dynasty. There were some lag issues and connectivity issues but that happens in every game. And I'm just talking about pausing before a pitch is thrown or a delayed reaction for every decision in the game.

i'm not sure where people are getting that the online performance is god awful or something. it's not and it wasn't last year either. like i said before the problem is that even a millisecond of lag can mean the difference between a homerun and a pop fly but there is just no way you can ever have a 100% lag free game over the internet.

the league will be fine as long as people don't get butthurt and quit if they get dealt a lag spike at the wrong time or some wonky play happens because of lag

Well, from reading and asking questions, many people just basically said it was flat out unplayable.. Saying the ball would disappear on its way to the plate, disconnects, this that.. The online menus are god awful in this game though. Confusing to figure out how to invite somebody. I did notice that if you skip a replay and the other guy doesn't, the screen freezes, like the console froze, until they hit a button or catch up. They should put something on screen saying "waiting for player".

Well, from reading and asking questions, many people just basically said it was flat out unplayable.. Saying the ball would disappear on its way to the plate, disconnects, this that.. The online menus are god awful in this game though. Confusing to figure out how to invite somebody. I did notice that if you skip a replay and the other guy doesn't, the screen freezes, like the console froze, until they hit a button or catch up. They should put something on screen saying "waiting for player".

I wonder if the people having issues are wireless. I tested out 2 online games yesterday. They were both smooth but wireless had some weird stuttering plays and wired didn't.

I also played on "fast" mode or whatever to cut out the broadcast shit. That's for single player!

I wonder if the people having issues are wireless. I tested out 2 online games yesterday. They were both smooth but wireless had some weird stuttering plays and wired didn't.

I also played on "fast" mode or whatever to cut out the broadcast shit. That's for single player!

Never know, certainly a possibility. I know personally i've been worried because I've mostly read the game is junk online.. for the record, I am wired, but did notice the odd hiccup here and there. nothign game breaking. usually on cut scenes or fly balls that were foul.

How the hell do you play a friend in rhis game??
Both of you need to go to the main menu, and press the big middle button (color changing thing)

One of you go to friends list and invite friend, the other needs to check that same menu for challenges

Sometimes only 3 things pop up and not your friends list...just go try to join a lobby and back out and it should work again

Me and FMT spent forever yesterday figuring it out lol

Top Bottom