• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Omaha |OT| We Swear We're More Than the College World Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

HvySky

Woke up at 6:30 this morning to go to work. Opened the door to snow on snow on snow. On ice.

Yep, not doing much driving today.

FyreWulff

Woke up at 6:30 this morning to go to work. Opened the door to snow on snow on snow. On ice.

Yep, not doing much driving today.

If you can not drive today, I would not drive. It's not safe. Even if you do it perfectly, what almost happened to me was out of my control. So annoying.

Or at least wait until the city plows everything.

From what I heard 42nd street is a shitshow. L seems decently clear but is still unplowed. I-680 and 80 have a bunch of stranded cars. I imagine 24th is decently useable.

My fiancee wants to drive up to Omaha to see her parents. We live in Lincoln and got a decent amount of snow here. She drives a 2 door Honda Civic. I keep telling her not to go!! The news keeps mentioning how many cars are stuck on the side of the road and that Douglas County police aren't even responding to calls. :/

Visiting family for the holidays, living in Texas it's a nice treat to have snow for Christmas.

Or9H7mf.jpg

Vs5OdF4.jpg

So much for last minute gift buying today :/

FyreWulff

My fiancee wants to drive up to Omaha to see her parents. We live in Lincoln and got a decent amount of snow here. She drives a 2 door Honda Civic. I keep telling her not to go!! The news keeps mentioning how many cars are stuck on the side of the road and that Douglas County police aren't even responding to calls. :/

100% do not attempt to drive between Omaha and Lincoln right now. I'm not being dramatic when I say she's risking too much for that. It'd be hours and hours before anyone could get to her if her car gets in trouble.

My stepdad is a truck driver that uses 80 a lot and he wouldn't even be on the road right now if they were paying him triple.

I wouldn't attempt it until the storm passes and they've got that highway plowed.

Palmer_v1

Drove to work from Bellevue to Downtown, and it took like 45 minutes to get from Chandler to Dodge. Didn't actually see any accidents or people stuck. This was around 8am.

They keep extending the snow forecast. Was supposed to snow until noon, now it's until 2pm. Good thing we don't have to go anywhere.

Really glad I went to Beertopia yesterday.

FyreWulff

9 a.m. -- Three semi trucks stuck on 120th and I streets
9 a.m. -- Southbound lanes shut down at 72nd Street and Military Avenue due to crashes
9:01 a.m. -- Westbound Maple Street experiencing standstill traffic
9:04 a.m. -- Vehicle accident westbound just west of 156th Street
9:07 a.m. -- At least 45 crashes reported in the Omaha metro area, cars stuck, stalled and at least 65 vehicles crashed
9:11 a.m. -- 72nd Street is impassible, approximately 150 vehicles stuck
9:12 a.m. -- Multiple vehicles stalled at West Center Street
9:13 a.m. -- Car blocking traffic at Millard Avenue
9:25 a.m. -- Two-vehicle crash on 72nd Street and Highway 370 in left turn lane
9:29 a.m. -- Sarpy County crash reported on Interstate 80, Mile Marker 440 westbound
9:37 a.m. -- Vehicle on fire at 78th Street and North Mill Road
9:37 a.m. -- Several reports of police cruisers, ambulances and snow plows in accidents or stuck
9:39 a.m. -- Ambulance crash confirmed at 116th and Burke streets, had to wheel patient to another ambulance
9:39 a.m. -- Ambulance accident confirmed at 90th and Maple streets
9:42 a.m. -- Sarpy accident at Lincoln Boulevard and Lorriane Avenue
9:43 a.m. -- Five-vehicle accident reported at 83rd and Blondo streets
9:46 a.m. -- U.S. 275 northbound, ramp blocked from Interstate 29 to Missouri River Bridge in Council Bluffs
9:47 a.m. -- Interstate 80 around 96th Street, two-vehicle crash
9:53 a.m. -- Interstate 80 westbound near 108th Street, property damage, vehicle unable to move in the inside lane
9:57 a.m. -- Sarpy County accident southbound of 74th and Harrison streets
10 a.m. -- Rescue unit sent to 96th Street and Western Avenue
10:01 a.m. -- Sarpy County accident reported at northbound JFK split and Chandler Road
10:02: a.m. -- Two-vehicle accident just north of 72nd Street and Applewood Drive
10:05 a.m. -- Two-semi crash at JFK access ramp
10:06 a.m. -- Car crash at JFK split and Cornhusker Road in the northbound lane
10:07 a.m. -- Vehicle accident with minor injuries
10:08 a.m. -- Interstate 29 northbound reopened to traffic at Exit 47, IA 92, U.S. 275
10:09 a.m. -- Car in ditch at 60th to Interstate 80 westbound
10:10 a.m. -- Two-vehicle accident at JFK and Galvin Street
10:14 a.m. -- Traffic blocked eastbound Military Avenue to move two cars
10:16 a.m. -- Vehicle accident on Highway 370 westbound in Town Center Parkway
10:22 a.m. -- Southbound 72nd Street is open, northbound still closed
10:34 a.m. -- At least 65 accidents reported, 95 vehicles involved in crashes
10:37 a.m. -- Female and child unable to exit car in a ditch, area not available
10:42 a.m. -- Accident by Hy-Vee near 178th Street and O Plaza
10:58 a.m. -- Eastbound lanes blocked near 102nd and Maples streets
11:10 a.m -- Traffic backed up on 42nd Street southbound Miranda to Center streets, semi and city bus unable to move
11:13 a.m. -- Sarpy accident near 72nd and Centennial, two vehicles involved
11:14 a.m. -- Car pinned between 168th Street and 156th Street eastbound
11:25 a.m. -- Multiple-semis stacked, blocking Harrison Street near 72nd southbound
11:33 am. -- Two trucks, maybe three cars total, in ditch near Interstate 680 and West Center Road

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
12414366_10153827417461465_1956097946_o.jpg

This is a picture from outside my house through a window. I took that picture about an hour or so ago too.

The streets are very slick and there's no sense attempting to go anywhere unless you know for certain you can handle the roads.

12414430_10153827720181465_123732479_o.jpg

An updated picture of my backyard.

mollipen

I was going to be all "I'm stuck in SoCal for Christmas but that's okay because you guys don't have snow anyhow" and not be too heartbroken about it, but now I'm sitting here heartbroken about it after all. :(

Palmer_v1

9 a.m. -- Three semi trucks stuck on 120th and I streets
9 a.m. -- Southbound lanes shut down at 72nd Street and Military Avenue due to crashes
9:01 a.m. -- Westbound Maple Street experiencing standstill traffic
9:04 a.m. -- Vehicle accident westbound just west of 156th Street
9:07 a.m. -- At least 45 crashes reported in the Omaha metro area, cars stuck, stalled and at least 65 vehicles crashed
9:11 a.m. -- 72nd Street is impassible, approximately 150 vehicles stuck
9:12 a.m. -- Multiple vehicles stalled at West Center Street
9:13 a.m. -- Car blocking traffic at Millard Avenue
9:25 a.m. -- Two-vehicle crash on 72nd Street and Highway 370 in left turn lane
9:29 a.m. -- Sarpy County crash reported on Interstate 80, Mile Marker 440 westbound
9:37 a.m. -- Vehicle on fire at 78th Street and North Mill Road
9:37 a.m. -- Several reports of police cruisers, ambulances and snow plows in accidents or stuck
9:39 a.m. -- Ambulance crash confirmed at 116th and Burke streets, had to wheel patient to another ambulance
9:39 a.m. -- Ambulance accident confirmed at 90th and Maple streets
9:42 a.m. -- Sarpy accident at Lincoln Boulevard and Lorriane Avenue
9:43 a.m. -- Five-vehicle accident reported at 83rd and Blondo streets
9:46 a.m. -- U.S. 275 northbound, ramp blocked from Interstate 29 to Missouri River Bridge in Council Bluffs
9:47 a.m. -- Interstate 80 around 96th Street, two-vehicle crash
9:53 a.m. -- Interstate 80 westbound near 108th Street, property damage, vehicle unable to move in the inside lane
9:57 a.m. -- Sarpy County accident southbound of 74th and Harrison streets
10 a.m. -- Rescue unit sent to 96th Street and Western Avenue
10:01 a.m. -- Sarpy County accident reported at northbound JFK split and Chandler Road
10:02: a.m. -- Two-vehicle accident just north of 72nd Street and Applewood Drive
10:05 a.m. -- Two-semi crash at JFK access ramp
10:06 a.m. -- Car crash at JFK split and Cornhusker Road in the northbound lane
10:07 a.m. -- Vehicle accident with minor injuries
10:08 a.m. -- Interstate 29 northbound reopened to traffic at Exit 47, IA 92, U.S. 275
10:09 a.m. -- Car in ditch at 60th to Interstate 80 westbound
10:10 a.m. -- Two-vehicle accident at JFK and Galvin Street
10:14 a.m. -- Traffic blocked eastbound Military Avenue to move two cars
10:16 a.m. -- Vehicle accident on Highway 370 westbound in Town Center Parkway
10:22 a.m. -- Southbound 72nd Street is open, northbound still closed
10:34 a.m. -- At least 65 accidents reported, 95 vehicles involved in crashes
10:37 a.m. -- Female and child unable to exit car in a ditch, area not available
10:42 a.m. -- Accident by Hy-Vee near 178th Street and O Plaza
10:58 a.m. -- Eastbound lanes blocked near 102nd and Maples streets
11:10 a.m -- Traffic backed up on 42nd Street southbound Miranda to Center streets, semi and city bus unable to move
11:13 a.m. -- Sarpy accident near 72nd and Centennial, two vehicles involved
11:14 a.m. -- Car pinned between 168th Street and 156th Street eastbound
11:25 a.m. -- Multiple-semis stacked, blocking Harrison Street near 72nd southbound
11:33 am. -- Two trucks, maybe three cars total, in ditch near Interstate 680 and West Center Road

Where'd you pull that from?

Edit: I need to drive home again in about an hour. Might take 13th street south from downtown to ft crook instead of 75 south.

nataku

It sucks for my sister. She stores all her presents at my apartment... and none of them are wrapped. I also have no wrapping paper, so I won't be doing it myself.

FyreWulff

Edit: I need to drive home again in about an hour. Might take 13th street south from downtown to ft crook instead of 75 south.

13th is probably your best bet, although it has that one long hill next to the zoo. 24th has a lot of hill and narrow lanes. But at least both of them lead directly to Ft Crook

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I swear people forget how to drive every year. :) saw 4 accidents on ny way to work at 7 this morning and am not looking forward to driving home in an hour!

Merry Christmas everyone!

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Good bit of snow down in Lincoln but fairly warm so it's all melting quickish. Gonna be icy as fuck tonight.

Heading west though

FyreWulff

there's cars stuck and crashed into each other on all our exit streets. even if I could get the car going it's boxed in :/

I'm expecting to see plows just pushing like 5-10 cars down the street as they go

FyreWulff

ahahahahaha

so someone slid into my parent's truck

took the bumper off it. the car that hit it went down the street.

then the driver jumped out of the car, and the passenger jumped out, then the passenger got in the other side to drive, and the old woman driver went to get in the passenger side, and the guy ditched her and took off before she could get in. then she took off running, like a 70 year old grandma running like a goddamn 20 year old track athlete, and she got away from the people chasing after her

all everyone can think about is that one My Name Is Earl scene

the truck is an 83 Dodge, so they literally just did that over a truck that's worth less than the gas in it's tank

Merry Christmas, everyone

Omadahl

Banned
We're going to the grocery store tomorrow to stock up, but I'm guessing everyone else is as well. It would make sense that I'm off for 2 weeks with Christmas break and we would get this much snow. I want my 5 district allowed snow days damnit! And yes, teachers enjoy snow days much more than the students.

Was watching ketv and the European computer models said 17 inches of snow! there's no way we'll get that much but I saw that and my jaw dropped!

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
My work will refuse to shut down or let us go home early, so keep me in your thoughts and prayers tomorrow! If I squeeze out before 4pm it will be a miracle!

FyreWulff

I remember when i worked for the library downtown and the rookie director thought a library needed to stay open in a blizzard. the rest of the city offices had been shut down for the snow. we were literally the only one open.

needless to say there were like, 5 of us in the building that night and it was 100% staff

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I remember when i worked for the library downtown and the rookie director thought a library needed to stay open in a blizzard. the rest of the city offices had been shut down for the snow. we were literally the only one open.

needless to say there were like, 5 of us in the building that night and it was 100% staff

5...not counting the hobos. Saw a bum jacking it in an aisle one time, never went back to the library after that. I used to go when there was still 4 complete floors of books (accessible to the public)

Those were the days!

My work will refuse to shut down or let us go home early, so keep me in your thoughts and prayers tomorrow! If I squeeze out before 4pm it will be a miracle!

Best of luck man. I just moved jobs and am at a place that lets us just bring our laptops home to work for the day. Pretty happy about not having to go out today.

Decided to head west on I-80 out of Omaha at 8:30 am Christmas Eve. Bad call, obviously. Traffic was slowed down to around 25 and even then cars were spinning out. Made it to the Grentna exit, got off and hung out for a few hours. Interstate was mostly clear by noon. Saw at least a dozen cars in the median between Gretna and Ashland

Just made it back before today's shitshow.

FyreWulff

God Omaha, just keep rubbing in it my face that I didn't come home this year for the holidays and I'm missing all of the snow!

Wait, what did they change?

Some time after I left the library, they closed off the 4th floor to the public. It's a staff only area. It was in talks for years.

It was largely due to the library constantly being robbed of it's budget and the floorspace of 4th floor was equivalent or bigger than a couple of the branches at the time, so it was basically sacrifice the 4th floor as active space to keep other branches open and the budget down.. It also wasn't very active. Whenever I had to go pull books 4th floor was always almost empty. I never even saw a single person in the corner where all the Mysteries were kept..

We were always (and they still are) barely have the money to serve the public ;_;

FyreWulff

Anyone else going to go attempt to see Obama? You have to go get tickets tomorrow (they're free)

luckily i'm very close to the Kroc Center so I may attempt to get some tickets there.

FyreWulff

Speaking of our thread title, anyone else at opening ceremonies tonight besides me?

nope, never going again after South O got fucked over (also lol no to that traffic)

Also it was like a damn oven outside earlier. I was driving someone to their job and the poor car took forever for the AC to actually start cooling. So you put down the windows while the coil is getting up to speed and it's like if someone put a box fan in front of a running oven.

Repgnar

Any recommendations on who to buy a home through? Looking more in the Bellevue area. Apartment lease ends in October and we're thinking a home would be a better option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom