• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Omaha |OT| We Swear We're More Than the College World Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palmer_v1

I'll admit, I've never actually walked into the campus at that part. Just.. around it. I have a thing where I think I'll get in trouble for walking through public places like that.

I had a friend that worked at the First National Tower and he kept telling me I could walk through the entire tunnel system they had, all I would have to say is I thought it was public if they didn't like me there.. I was like nah i'm fine

I work in the tower and use the tunnels to walk to the Park 6 when it's cold out. We have security that walks the tunnels and watches cameras but mostly to keep out smelly bums that like to piss in corners.

FyreWulff

Anyone know of a place that sells halvah in Omaha? My mom usually sourced it from the Bag N Save on Dodge near 75thish but they rolled up yesterday and the entire store was empty and being auctioned out..

She knows Amazon has it but would like to find a local place

Anyone know of a place that sells halvah in Omaha? My mom usually sourced it from the Bag N Save on Dodge near 75thish but they rolled up yesterday and the entire store was empty and being auctioned out..

She knows Amazon has it but would like to find a local place

Did a quick Google search and it suggested Bagel Bin at 119th and Pacific might sell it. Just called and confirmed they do.

FyreWulff

'scuse the double post, mods

Spring Lake a while ago

http://goo.gl/maps/5sbPI

jQuBCJXl.jpg

Spring Lake today:

U66JbT8l.jpg

We went around the neighborhood after walking around it and into it (as far as we could go before chain link fence). What the fuck happened. So many abandoned houses now. When I was a kid that neighorbood was lively. There's an abandoned house missing it's roof only a block away from Spring Lake Elementary.. :/

Hello, Question about the college word series.

I have a business trip I have to make up to Nebraska this summer so was going to plan on going around the CWS to go there while I am there.

I was looking into tickets and they are really expensive unless you do GA.

How full is the GA usually? I wanted to go for the Final Games week but if the GA is going to be too hard to get into not sure if it is worth going over other weeks.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Hello, Question about the college word series.

I have a business trip I have to make up to Nebraska this summer so was going to plan on going around the CWS to go there while I am there.

I was looking into tickets and they are really expensive unless you do GA.

How full is the GA usually? I wanted to go for the Final Games week but if the GA is going to be too hard to get into not sure if it is worth going over other weeks.

You can always get into a game, but you may have to scalp to get in. They are oftentimes not exorbitant.

FyreWulff

Hey look, dumbasses taunting the gorillas cracking the glass again at Henry Doorly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK67kaMWN-8

The funny part is people are acting like this is new, at least once a year they have windows covered up because they're cracked from being punched. Every fucking time I go through that exhibit, some dummy is always taunting the gorillas.

Is anyone going to Benson Beerfest this weekend? I was thinking about it. Has anyone went in years past?

It's one of my favorite beer events in the area, up with Brew-Ha-Ha. Usually not too packed, decent food options and some awesome beers. I'll be pouring at the Railroaders tent, stop by!

Palmer_v1

It's one of my favorite beer events in the area, up with Brew-Ha-Ha. Usually not too packed, decent food options and some awesome beers. I'll be pouring at the Railroaders tent, stop by!

I assume we just walk up and ask for the Sharkmuncher. Nothing weird can come of that.

Palmer_v1

Pouring a red ale with Brettanomyces at the Railroaders tent. Also, try the Peanut Butter Jelly Time, same booth, crazy, but awesome beer.

Hope the weather holds off this weekend. Supposed to be camping in Onawa. Swear it's been nice on weekdays and then shitty every weekend for the last month.

Pouring a red ale with Brettanomyces at the Railroaders tent. Also, try the Peanut Butter Jelly Time, same booth, crazy, but awesome beer.

Sounds interesting. Still not convinced I'll make it there, but I'll make sure to ask for sharkmuncher if I do.

How many beers are there anyway?

Palmer_v1

I'm okay with this. A lot of Creighton students would probably enjoy a nice shopping area that close to them as well. The parking garage I use is really close to the site though. Might impact me a little in my commute.

Edit: Nevermind, this is further east than I thought. Basically going to be on the other side of the interstate from the quest center. I thought it was going to be somewhere near the civic auditorium and stuff.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Anyone coming down for any games at Memorial this seasonr? I have student tickets so I'll be at every game, thought a mini-GAF meetup would be cool if any of you were in Lincoln.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Anyone coming down for any games at Memorial this seasonr? I have student tickets so I'll be at every game, thought a mini-GAF meetup would be cool if any of you were in Lincoln.

I keep hearing a lot about the games. Lots of excitement and food.The Huskers haven't necessarily wowed the people that I'm around. My family is pretty big into football.

Piccolo’s, the last of the long-popular Caniglia-related restaurants in Omaha and one made famous in recent years by Warren Buffett, is coming to an end.

http://www.omaha.com/columnists/kel...cle_a1ac0d88-3011-52bb-b7c4-56ad8a8b32f4.html

Piccolo's is closing down. One of Warren Buffett's favorite restaurants from what I've been told. I've been there a few times. It's located in such an odd place in town. I'm not shocked by the news. You'd never know it was in Omaha if you drove around. It's literally in a back alley near downtown.

12041698_10153652594621465_1087825389_n.jpg

A picture I took the other day after leaving Westroads mall. I like this mall. I grew up around Oakview and Crossroads too. More so Oakview, but I remember when Crossraods was still up and running like a normal mall. Then apparently gangs took it over, all the stores except Barnes & Noble went out, and now all they have are smaller shops and maybe a Radio Shack. What sucks about Westroads is that Tilt closed. I use to always go there too. It's now a Forever 21 store. Westroads is still a nice mall. It's just changed quite a bit over the years. It's one spot that I'll always remember about Omaha. The good and the bad.

Here's an old picture of Tilt. I use to go down those escalators a lot many years ago.

12023013_10153652989756465_1389115500_n.jpg

12047666_10153652989811465_1254678789_n.jpg

I found these pictures of the Family Fun Center when they tore the place down on Dodge.

7883366886_fec080de16.jpg

7883359070_ca6bc5863d.jpg

It's kinda depressing. I remember they had all the latest fighting games and players out there. Their new location isn't the same. It's more for school visits and family outings. They must have sold a lot too. I remember when Tilt had for sale signs on all their games at one time as well. I just didn't think they'd both go out.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I keep hearing a lot about the games. Lots of excitement and food.The Huskers haven't necessarily wowed the people that I'm around. My family is pretty big into football.

Husker football is Husker football; regardless of the team's quality, they'll pack the stadium.

But yeah the Haymarket and the Railyard are really fun on game days. Definitely worth the trip.

I've done the tailgate thing with my in-laws before. It's fun and much more of an experience than anything you'll get back in Seattle for the Hawks or Dawgs.

My college buddy lives in Omaha and is getting married and im his best man. Ive been to Omaha twice to visit him but dont know what to do. Any ideas for a bachelor party? (mind you the wedding is in january)

My college buddy lives in Omaha and is getting married and im his best man. Ive been to Omaha twice to visit him but dont know what to do. Any ideas for a bachelor party? (mind you the wedding is in january)

Plenty of bars to hop around in the downtown Old Market area, same with the Benson area (there is one here that has a bunch of retro arcade machines if your into that). Both areas have at least 1 brewery worth checking out too. Otherwise there are some gentlemen's around around as well.

I got married in Omaha in 2006. I had my bachelor party back home in Seattle, but I remember we went out the night before to Upstream in the Old Market.

Now, I'd say hit up the Benson neighborhood or the Farnam area.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

Upstream Brewing Company brews their own beer and pool tables. I haven't gone there in years. There's quite a few places to check out too.

http://omahamagazine.com/best-of-omaha/best-of-omaha-dining/

You could go across the river and go gambling. Lots of small bars and men's clubs. Don't go to to 20's Showgirls or whatever that is on Dodge. It's a fully clothed men's club, but I had a better experience at the Playhouse in Iowa. Just ignore that if you aren't doing the whole strip club thing.

I'll always have a soft spot for Dundee as well. Used to hang out there with my wife when we were dating and we'd go back to visit her family.

I got married in Omaha in 2006. I had my bachelor party back home in Seattle, but I remember we went out the night before to Upstream in the Old Market.

Now, I'd say hit up the Benson neighborhood or the Farnam area.

Yeah, Farnam is a good suggestion too. They could go drink some das boots at Crescent Moon/Huber-Haus.

FyreWulff

Fuck Con Agra

This is a bit hard since it's January. There's a chance it will be either 80 degrees when you're here or we're 3 feet under snow.

but I remember when Crossraods was still up and running like a normal mall. Then apparently gangs took it over.

Gangs weren't why Crossroads died. Crossroads died due to massive mis-management and their insistence on getting rid of the bus stop. They basically told all the families to fuck off, so the families did fuck off.. to Westroads.

Same shit happened to the downtown malls. They were popular and always had tons of customers. Then they'd ban bus passengers from coming in. Then they banned anyone under 18 from coming in. And the malls failed, when they were RIGHT THERE next to where literally every single bus in Omaha passed through.

Westroads has fully embraced the busses and continues to accomodate bus riders even more, and it's doing even better.

FyreWulff

That's what I heard too, but won't be surprised it it becomes rain instead.

Sun is out now for once, better go grab some before it disappears for another 4 days.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I thought last winter was nice, but man, this year has taken the cake! Mild winter, warm spring, cool summer with lots of rain, temperate fall and the lead up to winter has been another hallmark.

I shouldn't say this, but Global Climate change has been very favorable to Eastern Nebraska.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom