• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On set pics of the Major in ScarJost In The Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keasar

I suppose they could give Batou some kind of cybernetic eyes to make it look more natural.

k8ywJ07.jpg

Would be kind of boring though.
Yeah, those eyes are very iconic for his character, I thought they were really cool when I saw the GITS movie for the first time.
81393.jpg

They better add them in post.

dity

I suppose they could give Batou some kind of cybernetic eyes to make it look more natural.

k8ywJ07.jpg

Would be kind of boring though.
This would suck.

Please tell me they will still have wires coming out of their neck for stuff. They must do this. No USB drives.

I don't think Batou has ever been portrayed as anything but Caucasian. Motoko is more ambiguous outside of her name IMO but can see why people are annoyed they cast a white person. But with Batou, it's a no-brainer.

The title took me a second to get, but I thought it as pretty clever.

Batou is Japanese to the core. His entire backstory hinges on it. At least Google the character first.

I just don't know.

I say this as a big GITS fan. I like her costume but I just don't know. I'm not sure I'll be seeing this.

Also SAC > first film.

SeanC

here we go again

Yeah, I should have just kept my mouth shut. We already had a huge thread on all this.

To stay on topic, I do love ScarJo, but can we really get excited about a movie directed by Rupert Sanders and feel the four writers that have had a hand in trying to adapt it actually pull it off?

I just don't know.

I say this as a big GITS fan. I like her costume but I just don't know. I'm not sure I'll be seeing this.

Also SAC > first film.

Sarcjo isn't convincing as a intimidating amazonian women to me, which has always been how I've seen Motoko. Even the SAC interpretation.
She's short and she just doesn't look like she's physically strong at all.

I mean, maybe they're trying to go for something closer to Arise but I have no idea why they would since Arise is straight up garbage.

I'm getting some second movie GitS: innocence vibe from images. Didn't the movie take place in HK too? Her hairdo is similar to the movie as well.

She looks super tiny, batou looks small too, guess we gotta wait for trailers to see some sort of change.

She never looked that big. A little on the petite side is fine. As long as her manner is imposing when it needs to be. Physically, well, we know how strong the body should be.

Batou should be bigger though.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
ScarJo doesn't look that bad but man that Batou is rough looking, some people can pull of white hair and some people can't, this guy is the latter.

Add me to that list of preferring SAC. The movies feel like you came into a story 5 chapters in and stopped reading 8 before the end.
+1

Outside of the manga Stand Alone Complex is the best version of Ghost in the Shell there is.

The first movie for 1995 was groundbreaking but SAC is a better watch. Do skip Arise though.

Akainu

True to the character then.

There's only one scene in which Motoko doesn't look bored out of her skull. It's in the books and you can bet your sweet bum you won't see that in a film. Ever.

Manga gits is still the best as far as i'm concerned.

And no cyborg eyes? Fuck this.

norm9

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that it's weird, though preferable to a complete whitewashing, that in the end they only really whitewashed a couple of the lead characters but not the rest of the movie. I don't really know how to react to this movie.

They're kicking out all Asians from the island during filming.

Akainu

If you don't like the major having a social life don't read the manga. What she does on her spare time might ruin her for you.

You mean making illegal cyborg sex drugs and having a boyfriend? Or do you only care about the first one

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that it's weird, though preferable to a complete whitewashing, that in the end they only really whitewashed a couple of the lead characters but not the rest of the movie. I don't really know how to react to this movie.

This is how I feel, if the owner of the property is fine with it; then I don't have any problems.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
White People in the Shell.

More like, "White People Are The Shell"

I think Johannson is a lovely actress, and I enjoy seeing her in films, but I'm just not digging this. They look like cosplayers. With that said, I'd love it if the movie was actually good, and not a cheap cash in on the GitS license. I'm interested in seeing a trailer. I love the series, and I love cyberpunk, but I'm not confident that they'll make a compelling cyberpunk thriller with interesting social commentaries (that were distinctly Japanese in the mangas) about the future, and where we're headed as a species. That sounds pretentious as fuck, but GitS did it in such a stylish, visually compelling way. I'm expecting a Hollywood CGI smorgasbord of effects, that don't really evoke Shirow Masamune's beautiful work and tone.

Meh. I'm still withholding judgment, but I'm not expecting much.

Sojgat

Wait, they're actually shooting in Hong Kong? hilarious.

Also, Batou's actor doesn't look the part at all. He just seems too young. He looks like someone who dyes their hair white to look like an anime character.

Kaizer

Banned
I'm just gonna reserve judgement until we see the first trailer, there's certain things that okayish, other things more iffy, so overall idk. Still would've loved an asian lead actress but yeah, can't complain about it forever.

Tacitus_

You mean making illegal cyborg sex drugs and having a boyfriend? Or do you only care about the first one

And having coffee with a friend of hers. Or getting drunk off her ass with her team mates after a mission.

Motoko is very lively until the Puppeteer mission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom