• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On set pics of the Major in ScarJost In The Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
Some of the on set pics look good. I can see this turn out ok.

ghostintheshell_remake05.jpg

ghostintheshell_remake06.jpg

ghostintheshell_remake07.jpg

ghostintheshell_remake08.jpg

Yeah, Hollywood can go suck on a log of shit.

Moonkid

A bunch of set pics don't inform me much about how the film is going to end up, but having said that they do appear to have some talent costuming the extras and setting the scene so to speak.

harSon

Banned
Well cyberpunk was pioneered by Neuromancer and popularized by GitS and blew up by Matrix.

If Wachowskis still want to do cyberpunk, they can go get the film right of Neuromancer.

I think Snow Crash is a better fit for the Wachowski's at this point in their careers.

dity

Well, you can be Japanese and Caucasian... they are not mutually exclusive (one is a race, the other is a nationality). I've read the comic in the past, watched the original film, watched SAC and he has always been a white guy often with blonde hair. It's been well over a decade since I've seen anything in this series -- maybe, I missed something, but if you asked 100 people who've seen GITS, 99 would call Batou a white guy.

Batou is possible mix-race, but he's not just some white guy in Japan. He served in what's basically the Japanese Defense Force for ages before being moved to Section 9. He's also a cyborg, which probably has more of a bearing on his appearance than any caucasian aspects. He was never a white guy, or an immigrant, or anything else like that. Just a Japanese cyborg that loves to serve his country.

Koppai

Wow I have good hopes for this movie, at least they are making the actors look somewhat like the characters. :>

anaron

I know it's due to better pics but it's kinda funny that so many are saying she looks good when people in past threads were trying to vilify those who said as much before, that Scarlett "looks nothing like her!" lol

(not that it excuses whitewashing)

Branduil

"There just aren't enough well-known, talented Asian actors to cast in movies" say Hollywood producers as they hire that crappy actor who plays Euron in Game of Thrones.

Despera

Banned
They nailed the Major's aesthetic.

Batou could be passable if they at least do proper makeup and add cyborg eyes.

I... I'm kind of getting excited for this. Bracing for crushing disappointment.

Tacitus_

But ScarJo isn't capable of being intimidating when she intends to be either.

Well that's an altogether different complaint! Though, the Major really doesn't do a lot of physical intimidation. It's more the "you know I'll ghosthack you if you don't do what I say" cold look.

Alienfan

What really gets me is I would be 100% fine if Scarlett was the main character, they need an A-list celebrity to sell a film that's already taking more risks than an average Hollywood film, in which there aren't exactly many actors to choose from. So that's not the issue. But to have the supporting characters also be white? I dunno, that really doesn't sit right with me. Hoping for either a narrative justification or better, to be proven wrong and most of the supporting cast end up being Asian.

What really gets me is I would be 100% fine if Scarlett was the main character, they need an A-list celebrity to sell a film that's already taking more risks than an average Hollywood film, in which there aren't exactly many actors to choose from. So that's not the issue. But to have the supporting characters also be white? I dunno, that really doesn't sit right with me. Hoping for either a narrative justification or better, to be proven wrong and most of the supporting cast end up being Asian.

I did a cast list in a previous thread. Most of the supporting characters are not white from what I remember. Or It's about 50/50.

From Wikipedia for quick reference.

Scarlett Johansson as The Major
Pilou Asbæk as Batou
Michael Pitt as The Laughing Man[2]
Takeshi Kitano as Daisuke Aramaki
Juliette Binoche as Dr. Ouelet[3]
Rila Fukushima
Kaori Momoi
Chin Han
Danusia Samal
Lasarus Ratuere
Yutaka Izumihara
Tuwanda Manyimo

I think four out of twelve actors are white.

The top billed are definitely white though.

Alienfan

I did a cast list in a previous thread. Most of the supporting characters are not white from what I remember. Or It's about 50/50.

From Wikipedia for quick reference.

The top billed are definitely white though.

On paper that doesn't look like the worst thing in the world. We'll see though! Cheers

Donos

Have to say that ScarJo doesn't look bad in these shots. Also the Major has a blank doll stare on her face most of the time so it's not that she has to do alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom