• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On set pics of the Major in ScarJost In The Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Batou is Japanese to the core. His entire backstory hinges on it. At least Google the character first.

Well, you can be Japanese and Caucasian... they are not mutually exclusive (one is a race, the other is a nationality). I've read the comic in the past, watched the original film, watched SAC and he has always been a white guy often with blonde hair. It's been well over a decade since I've seen anything in this series -- maybe, I missed something, but if you asked 100 people who've seen GITS, 99 would call Batou a white guy.

I predict this will do at least as well as Lucy worldwide. Wouldn't be surprised if this into a movie franchise for Scarlett Johanssen.

sphagnum

Banned
Well, you can be Japanese and Caucasian... they are not mutually exclusive (one is a race, the other is a nationality). I've read the comic in the past, watched the original film, watched SAC and he has always been a white guy often with blonde hair. It's been well over a decade since I've seen anything in this series -- maybe, I missed something, but if you asked 100 people who've seen GITS, 99 would call Batou a white guy.

It's exceedingly rare to have a non-ethnic Japanese citizen, however. It's a very homogenous country.

Meier

It's exceedingly rare to have a non-ethnic Japanese citizen, however. It's a very homogenous country.

That's true, but the world of GITS is in the future. There are a number of GAFfers who live in Japan and have Japanese spouses with children that are of mixed race. It's not at all difficult to imagine that things will be a good bit different in ~2050 than in 1989 or even 2016.

She good to me, haters gonna hate. Batou definitely needs work though

Pretty easy to hate something that looks like it's basically the opposite of what I want from an IP that I care about.

And it doesn't help that the main character is being portrayed by an actress who is terrible in everything she's in.

That's true, but the world of GITS is in the future. There are a number of GAFfers who live in Japan and have Japanese spouses with children that are of mixed race. It's not at all difficult to imagine that things will be a good bit different in ~2050 than in 1989 or even 2016.

Whether the leads of this movie should be white is one thing, but this reasoning is silly and had nothing to do with the decision.

Meier

Whether the leads of this movie should be white is one thing, but this reasoning is silly and had nothing to do with the decision.

I'm not saying that's the reasoning. I just answered that poster's response that it's rare to be both white/caucasian and Japanese. Batou has always appeared as a white person and I never once got the impression he wasn't one in the 20+ years since I was introduced to him.

I'm not saying that's the reasoning. I just answered that poster's response that it's rare to be both white/caucasian and Japanese. Batou has always appeared as a white person and I never once got the impression he wasn't one in the 20+ years since I was introduced to him.

Of course you didn't, because unless it's explicitly stated otherwise; The majority of people automatically default to white. It's a phenomena that happens with book readers of all race/ethnicities. Now I'm not arguing he isn't white, but given the manga/anime artstyle couldn't you argue based off appearances alone that most characters are white then???

Meier

Of course you didn't, because unless it's explicitly stated otherwise; The majority of people automatically default to white. It's a phenomena that happens with book readers of all race/ethnicities. Now I'm not arguing he isn't white, but given the manga/anime artstyle couldn't you argue based off appearances alone that most characters are white then???

If they have blonde or platinum hair, yes, it is reasonable to argue that is the case. It's quite common for the blonde-haired character to be an American in anime/manga. Offhand, Onizuka is one of the few I can think of who had blonde hair and was Japanese, and his was bleached since he was a bad dude. Batou also had brown hair in the comic which is also atypical amongst Japanese people -- they more or less exclusively have black hair. He has always been very clearly presented as a white person.

I don't know how else they could pull the literal Batou eye buttons without it looking stupid. Maybe they'll give him augmented eyes or Morpheus shades

anaron

The thing is, the Ghost in the Shell's (film) style isn't very exaggerated so yeah, I'd say it's kind of ambiguous and confusing when they're drawn and coloured in a Caucasian likeness with an artstyle that is semi realistic.

If they have blonde or platinum hair, yes, it is reasonable to argue that is the case. It's quite common for the blonde-haired character to be an American in anime/manga. Offhand, Onizuka is one of the few I can think of who had blonde hair and was Japanese, and his was bleached since he was a bad dude. Batou also had brown hair in the comic which is also atypical amongst Japanese people -- they more or less exclusively have black hair. He has always been very clearly presented as a white person.

Serious question, don't a lot of anime and manga have blonde haired characters? Are they all white? Is Naruto white?

mugwhump

I actually think they look pretty decent, though I would've preferred it to not be whitewashed.

Honestly I'm more concerned about the guy from the huntsman being behind it. :/

Yamabro

Banned
Serious question, don't a lot of anime and manga have blonde haired characters? Are they all white? Is Naruto white?

I don't understand why people bring up Naruto.

Naruto's cast is mixed with every color because they live in a made up world. The leaf village is a very diverse community compared to the other villages too.

It's a lot different setting than a futuristic Japan.

I don't understand why people bring up Naruto.

Naruto's cast is mixed with every color because they live in a made up world. The leaf village is a very diverse community compared to the other villages too.

It's a lot different setting than a futuristic Japan.

Ok, but he said:

If they have blonde or platinum hair, yes, it is reasonable to argue that is the case. It's quite common for the blonde-haired character to be an American in anime/manga.

However I didn't realize there were other qualifiers such as if they were in a made up world or a futuristic Japan that determined whether they were white. I think I got it. Thanks

Yamabro

Banned
Manga gits is still the best as far as i'm concerned.

And no cyborg eyes? Fuck this.

It is the best.

You mean making illegal cyborg sex drugs and having a boyfriend? Or do you only care about the first one

Was talking about all of it. I prefer the Major's demeanor in the manga. It's the reason I like the manga more than the movies/show. The Major is too cold in the latter.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm waiting to see the casting that the Tachikoma are voiced by people like Ving Rhames and Michel Rodriguez.

Lime

I love the series but I've never understood what this outfit was about:

White tankershirt is ok with me.

Yeah I was always put off by that.

What I meant was that the costume designer wasn't more imaginative with a cyberpunk setting than simply just a tank top. It's the future with cyborgs n shit and that's the best you can come up with?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm telling you guys, Mickey Rourke would have been great. Just put some good makeup to make him look a little bit younger, and give him a clean haircut.

IJyoXwR.jpg

UmcKOlf.jpg

Batou needs to look really strong, and have a bit of a father-like attitude, which emphasizes how strong Motoko is since she's pretty much above him, and also emphasizes her detachment by not being very responsive to Batou's protectiveness (if they took the first GitS movie approach to the characters anyway, which I felt was GitS at its best).

With the guy they got, it can't really convey that.

Of course they removed the lens because it was "getting in the actor's talent's way", but I think it's a big mistake since it makes the character more memorable visually, and also gives some distance between Batou and the audience; we are never quite sure what his feelings are, we never actually "make eye contact" with him, and that worked well again in the GitS movie since it made the relation between him and Motoko more nebulous, which it really was for both characters themselves anyway.

Told you guys she would look great as Motoko.

Also Pilou is looking very very close to what Batou looked like in the 1995 movie, which is the atmosphere one of the writer said they were going with.
I don't think you could get really closer to Batou's face without completely modifying what someone looks like in post-production, maybe they'll do that coupled with the signature cyborg eyes

Edit : Also it's surprisingly good to see that they are shooting city scenes in Hong-Kong -- even though it always had looked like the logical place to shoot.
When they revealed the first Johansson shot as Motoko they said they were doing most of the shooting in New Zealand, and seemed to be referring to outdoor shots

Edit 2 : Found short videos of Scarlett and Pilou walking during scenes on set from the sources cited on the Kotaku article : 1, 2

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Sigh...

I just don't feel comfortable supporting this in any fashion because Motoko could have and should have been played by an Asian actress.

I simply can't get past that.

It was wrong when the ATLA movie whitewashed the cast and it is here as well.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Hah! Holy shit she actually looks pretty good. I really hope they do right by the action scenes in this ... needs to be fast and kinetic as hell. The very first action scene in the movie is still what informs a lot of my character work and movement/form. Also that cool af active camo hoodie is the bomb and i want one.

Batou looks... not as great. If they don't get his eyes right in post it's gonna be really reeeaaally weird.

Scarjo looks fuckin awesome though. more confident to go see this now for sure.

Ezalc

Scartoko looks less bad now I suppose, but Batou looks like shit in the pictures. Those videos actually make it seem a bit better given their size difference, but ScarJo is pretty short so yeah. It's weird, in that with her he looks like the appropriate size, but Motoko should be taller and more built and Batou is even bigger than her.

Gaf, what do you think Major Kusanagi and Batou will be renamed to in the movie? Personally, I think Maya Kusiewicz and Barry is plausible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom