• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On set pics of the Major in ScarJost In The Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Add me to that list of preferring SAC. The movies feel like you came into a story 5 chapters in and stopped reading 8 before the end.

Chiming in to agree. The series has the right balance between action and philosophy, where as the movie sometimes went a little too far on the philosophy dialogue. It felt like I was in a college lecture in a few scenes.

Also, there is still no real reason why the Major had to be completely naked during certain stealth and action scenes in the movie. It absolutely feels gratuitous to me and brings the whole movie down. We have a deep, heady action movie but then big anime titties because... titties. It's very jarring.

daveo42

Banned
Major looks okay. Color in the shot makes it hard to tell if her hair is the right shade. That hair tho...let's hope that's wind and not her default.

No cyborg eyes for Batou?

Maybe CG eyes or something? Wouldn't be Batou without cyborg eyes. Makes me wonder how much of this movie will be CG by the end.

Major looks okay. Color in the shot makes it hard to tell if her hair is the right shade. That hair tho...let's hope that's wind and not her default.

Maybe CG eyes or something? Wouldn't be Batou without cyborg eyes. Makes me wonder how much of this movie will be CG by the end.
Yeah I'm with you on them doing some CG eye work. Regarding color, it's impossible to judge how the final film will look, they'll do so much post production color and lighting tweaks it won't look a thing like these set photos.

Sidebar: +1 for Team SAC

How anyone can hate on SAC I will never know.

I have just re watched 1st gig and it's still as great as I remembered it, maybe it could have done with a few extra complex episodes but the stand alone ones were all really interesting and helped flesh out the world.

dity

Chiming in to agree. The series has the right balance between action and philosophy, where as the movie sometimes went a little too far on the philosophy dialogue. It felt like I was in a college lecture in a few scenes.

Also, there is still no real reason why the Major had to be completely naked during certain stealth and action scenes in the movie. It absolutely feels gratuitous to me and brings the whole movie down. We have a deep, heady action movie but then big anime titties because... titties. It's very jarring.

Well, if I'm going to be honestly most of Ghost in the Shell (as a whole) seems like a university Existentialism 101 class.

When will this movie drop? It was not on my radar but I enjoy movie experiences so I think I would want to go check it out.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I prefer the movie. SAC had too many goofy fun episodes. I like the more serious business tone of the movie. And I don't mind the philosophical exposition at all, if anything it makes it cooler.

You know what was so funny about that, the script never had any of the characters allude to the fact she was naked. That could be because she was an android and in this world, naked as a human as opposed to an android are two different things. On top of that fact that Japan as a culture puts on a heavier emphasis of "shame" than the Western world. The fact that no one made a big deal about it or mention it at all shouldn't have mattered.

I totally understand what you mean.

I just think it wasn't supposed to mean anything. Because it didn't mean anything in the movie.

SeanC

She certainly looks fine, just fine.

It's just too bad Hollywood is such a broken system that an asian actor can't be propped up and given opportunities for roles, though.

Elandyll

Banned
She certainly looks fine, just fine.

It's just too bad Hollywood is such a broken system that an asian actor can't be propped up and given opportunities for roles, though.
?

The major (most well known body) isn't supposed to be Asian.

SeanC

?

The major (most well known body) isn't supposed to be Asian.

It's more about appropriation. US Production company takes a Japanese product and doesn't cast any Asian Americans to play lead roles like Kusanagi because the US film doesn't consider minority actors A-List.

But at least they got Kitano, I guess.

Show Euron as Batou is gonna be weird. Is that average-looking teddy bear of a dude going to make a career out of playing characters who look like badasses in the source material?

Auctopus

I think she looks great. I understand people's frustration though.

I only watch Ghost In The Shell a few years ago but didn't realise there was additional media out there...

Is there a particular order to tackle the animes or comics/manga?

giphy.gif

get out, don't come back

True to the character then.

There's only one scene in which Motoko doesn't look bored out of her skull. It's in the books and you can bet your sweet bum you won't see that in a film. Ever.
In the films maybe but during the series there are quite a few moments where she displays other emotions like anger, playfulness (teasing comrades), shock etc.

Ninjimbo

After watching Arise and the new movie (loved them!), I think putting the Major in a red pants suit would have been better than her getup from the original flick. I'm still not feeling ScarJo either and I won't be until I see her walk into a room and intimidate the hell out of everyone with her presence.

There's only one scene in which Motoko doesn't look bored out of her skull. It's in the books and you can bet your sweet bum you won't see that in a film. Ever.

I was only going to see the movie if that scene was in, they have lost a customers and dozens will follow, dozens!!

Kinyou

I wonder if we'll at least get the topless armripping scene. Apparently was Scarlett willing to get nude for under the skin because it wasn't presented as overly glamorous

Line_HTX

Hold up... That's supposed to be Batou?

ScarJo actually looks good so far from these pics. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Yamabro

Banned
It's so bad though. I can't get over happy aw shucks with a social life Motoko.
Art style and animations don't do anything for me either. The films have this really eerie and otherwordly feeling to everything and SAC has none of that.

If you don't like the major having a social life don't read the manga. What she does on her spare time might ruin her for you.

Since when? It's an Asian body manufactured by an Asian company for an Asian woman.

Technically it's a generic body with no defining features. When a person buys one they give it a look. This is why all the ones in the manga have different skin tones and hair color.

A-V-B

I have no idea what to think about this movie, but they nailed the hair and the costume for the Major at least, so that's cool.

If you don't like the major having a social life don't read the manga. What she does on her spare time might ruin her for you.

Technically it's a generic body with no defining features. When a person buys one they give it a look. This is why all the ones in the manga have different skin tones and hair color.

I have and you're right, I don't like it.

PSY・S;206071235 said:
Are the SAC OVAs worth checking out?

Nooooooo.

SMG

So will the tachikomas be green or blue?

Because they have to be in it right?
...and not just a background cameo.

Zaptruder

Banned
Cautiously optimistic.

After all is said and done, it could be an enjoyable film. I guess, just leave behind all your expectations as a GitS fan and treat it like a GitS inspired property.

Sorral

SJ looks much better than I thought she would be in this now, but Batou is way off man especially if they don't give him cyborg eyes.

aceface

Honestly, I don't think the dense storytelling that's the hallmark of Ghost in the Shell can work in a Hollywood blockbuster. Or, if they try to do it justice and tell a story like that no one will go to see it. GitS is just a property that works best as Anime/manga, where the creators have the freedom to do whatever the hell they want with their version of the future.

Still think Ron Perlman would have made a good Batou.

*EDIT* Also where's Batou's optics? Don't tell me he'll just have normal eyes :(

It's more about appropriation. US Production company takes a Japanese product and doesn't cast any Asian Americans to play lead roles like Kusanagi because the US film doesn't consider minority actors A-List.

That's not what Hollywood is designed for.

Kinyou

I suppose they could give Batou some kind of cybernetic eyes to make it look more natural.

k8ywJ07.jpg

Would be kind of boring though.

I'm pretty certain the movie will at least look good. Say what you will about Snow White and the Huntsman, but it was shot pretty well. Plus you know Rupert Sanders is a fan of anime given the shamelessly ripped off forest spirit scene he stole from Princess Mononoke.

Meier

Lots of weird complaints in this thread so far. If the characters are still supposed to be Japanese then it's awful that they are played by Caucasians. However we still don't know if they're Japanese in this adaptation, so with that out of the way...

I don't think Batou has ever been portrayed as anything but Caucasian. Motoko is more ambiguous outside of her name IMO but can see why people are annoyed they cast a white person. But with Batou, it's a no-brainer.

The title took me a second to get, but I thought it as pretty clever.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Mickey Rourke with some makeup would have made a good Batou.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom