• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece is the 3rd highest selling comic of all time

Asterix being 5th is the most impressive IMO considering it only has 36 albums and they release only like 1 album every two years or something.

Ray Down

Banned
Yeah it's probably too late for any actual meaningful changes like from pre to post time skip (because I remember that not all things shown during the war arc are consistent with how haki was shown to work post time skip) but I only meant to phrase my disdain for it.
Why is haki so bad to you?

LaNaranja

Is there a way to watch this dubbed or subbed streaming? I want to see what the hype is all about.

Funimation sub is $60 a year and I believe is the cheapest way to support the people actually making the dubs (and subs are also available). Crunchy Roll only has subs and is $84 a year. Hulu has all episodes subbed and they seem to randomly put up dubbed episodes.

They pretty much all have free trials so you can try them all out and see which one you like best. Just remember to cancel before the trial ends.

Mortemis

Banned
I'm also sick of Oda's continued insistence on splitting up the SHP wherever they go. What made One Piece so great was the totality of the crew adventuring together. It was fun, their stories and interactions and antics could make you laugh and cry because they just drew you in and made you want to be a part of the crew. It made their sprawling adventures so memorable, the stakes so high, the drama so tense and thrills so engaging. One Piece progressively lost that after Water Seven more and more.

I don't think OP is that all that bad post time-skip but I whole heartedly agree with this. You know we've barely had comedy scenes with Luffy/Usopp/Chopper for a long time? Just sucks not having all the different interactions.

In what reality is Gintama not funny?

the one where people's opinions are equivalent to shit.

Why is haki so bad to you?

I don't really join in on OP discussions so this has probably been talked about a lot, but I never got why haki is represented with the body part turning black post time skip but not really seeing that at all in the war of the strongest. btw not saying its bad or anything, just confusing

I don't disagree with anyone saying pre-TS is better, but those that actually believe OP is bad now? Lol no. Its (former) contemporaries show you that a real decline in quality looks like, where you barely even care about what happens next. I mean, if that's you now, then well that sucks, but you're certainly in the minority. As I've said before, it's more like it went from amazing to just good/great, with the current arc and the one before potentially reaching those same highs.

Lol, speak for yourself. And those characters no one cares about will have their due one day due to the arc setting that up for the future. Not that that necessarily means you can't dislike them now I guess. That said, yes, Rebecca did suck.

I prefer them all together as well, but I don't hate it or anything, and understand why he does it. It's amusing seeing those gaps filled with characters like Law, or it providing characters like Brook more to do.

To be clear, I don't think One Piece is bad now. Don't get me wrong, it's still very good. But it used to be on a whole other level, and that's why it's decline stands out more than that of other series.

Dressrosa would be a much better arc if it didn't introduce 40 new characters and give us more royal family woes so soon after Fisherman Islands. I honestly couldn't give a fuck about that arc outside of Law's backstory and Sabo.

yeesh i dunno man, i might check it out again, but I remember coming off of Enies Lobby/Water 7 (HYPE AF), and then transitioning to Thriller Bark, and everything was just so BORING

it was a funny arc for sure, but none of the action was interesting at all to me (bar the Kuma stuff), and the antagonists of the arc weren't very interesting either

luckily we transitioned to another amazing arc after that one at Sabaody, so good

Please do watch Thriller Bark again. It's an amazing arc, and I genuinely would like to hear your thoughts upon rewatching it.

How the hell can anyone hate Thiller Bark!?
Definitely one of my all time favorite arcs thanks to the glorious team fights.

You and I are now friends.

lol, the opposite actually happened to me. When I reread older arcs I came away thinking Alabasta while good is fairly overrated, Skypiea is incredibly bloated and Thiller Bark is eh. Dressrosa I consider on the same level as those arcs even though I was pretty let down by it. Zou/Whole Cake Island I consider pretty good, with Zou being great.

The only parts of One Piece I consider legitimately amazing/all time great are Water 7/Enies Lobby and the stretch between Sabaody and Marineford, with Sabaody and Marineford being the high points (although Marineford could have been much better).

Every other arc in One Piece is more or less on the same level.

Let me rephrase: I think the Alabasta Saga is the best of One Piece because the sprawling adventure from Whiskey Peak to the conclusion in Alabsata is the most adventurous One Piece has ever been. I can't consider it amazing when it gave so much: Baroque Works villains, Drum Island, Little Garden, the introduction of Ace, Sanji doing his Prince shtick, Crocodile being an awesome villain, and comedic moments all throughout that have just stick with me all these years.

I am totally there with you. Like holy shit, the entire crew has not been together since they arrived at Dressrosa and that was four years ago.

This is depressing to think about.

Only real benefit is the few nicely animated scenes, and the audio stuff like Brookes backstory and some amusing voice acting with like the Negative ghosts, or luffy pushing the zombie back into the ground. The pacing is awful and theres some pretty lazy animation for a lot of it, though thats not specific to that arc. Such a great manga deserved better than Toei.

I'm genuinely curious as to what your idea of good pacing is. Thriller Bark has the best pacing of any arcs in One Piece. It wasn't drawn out in any way. It was all laughs, action, a good bit of drama.

Acinixys

At someone new to the series im really enjoying it

Mostly watching the Anime and man has this Enel/Shandia
arc dragged on like a mofo. Probably 30 eps to long. But hopefully this D8 arc will be fun

At someone new to the series im really enjoying it

Mostly watching the Anime and man has this Enel/Shandia
arc dragged on like a mofo. Probably 30 eps to long. But hopefully this D8 arc will be fun
Should have read the manga, can't count the number of anime watchers I've seen walk away with negative opinions on Skypiea because of pacing and then love it when they read it (not that it's the most popular in the manga either though, but anime watchers by far come out with more worse feelings/hate on it), it's top five personally and best arc material as far as I'm concerned.
Also you should read the cover stories, they stopped animating them after Coby and Buggys (and Jangos?), even though they're very relevant towards the actual story.

aravuus

I remember really enjoying Skypiea when I watched the anime.

Can't wait to get there with the manga. Man this has been addictive as fuck, already almost 200 chapters in.

e: damn shame to hear the main cast apparently spend most of their time scattered around nowadays, though. It's fine to have less gags and jokes as the stakes get higher, but Luffy, Usopp, Sanji and Zoro fucking around have been absolutely hilarious and definitely some of my favorite parts of the first 200 chapters.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Can't wait to get there with the manga. Man this has been addictive as fuck, already almost 200 chapters in.

e: damn shame to hear the main cast apparently spend most of their time scattered around nowadays, though. It's fine to have less gags and jokes as the stakes get higher, but Luffy, Usopp, Sanji and Zoro fucking around have been absolutely hilarious and definitely some of my favorite parts of the first 200 chapters.
I miss Luffy doing impressions of the other crew members.

LotusHD

Banned

The gags and such are still there, Luffy and co. can strike comedy gold with just about anyone he interacts with, even characters known for being more stoic.

caliph95

I don't really join in on OP discussions so this has probably been talked about a lot, but I never got why haki is represented with the body part turning black post time skip but not really seeing that at all in the war of the strongest. btw not saying its bad or anything, just confusing
I think they added that just for a way for you to know when Characters are using Haki or not or if there are just Strong

The gags and such are still there, Luffy and co. can strike comedy gold with just about anyone he interacts with, even characters known for being more stoic.

Those moments are far and few in between though. That's the problem. Oda, for whatever reason, just doesn't want to keep the crew together anymore. It's just
  • arrive at new island
  • contrive circumstances that require characters to split up and race against the clock
  • introduce a large number of characters whose names people will have to look up on the dedicated wikipedia
  • show of some novel new techniques in 1v1 battles
  • final show down with boss
  • rinse and repeat

One Piece doesn't have the heart it used to. It really, really doesn't.

It used to be an epic about friendship and adventure. The Strawhats were that family you wished you were a part of. The amazing world of One Piece was just that much more amazing because you were experiencing it with the Strawhats. At the turn of every page you could be crying with laughter just based on their interactions.

Since the timeskip, there has been none of that because Oda is, I think, more interested in adventuring in the interest of world building rather than world building in the interest of adventuring.

Those moments are far and few in between though. That's the problem. Oda, for whatever reason, just doesn't want to keep the crew together anymore. It's just
  • arrive at new island
  • contrive circumstances that require characters to split up and race against the clock
  • introduce a large number of characters whose names people will have to look up on the dedicated wikipedia
  • rinse and repeat

wait, how is that different from earlier arcs like say, Arlong Park? Its just a smaller scale and smaller cast.

• arrive at new island
  • rinse and repeat

Dude, you know you just described every arc going back to Syrup Village right?

LotusHD

Banned
  • arrive at new island
  • rinse and repeat

The last arc contradicts this though...

And like the others have said, several of the past arcs some of these things as well lol

To each their own. There's several moments in each TS arc that I would certainly say qualifies as "having heart" too...

It used to be an epic about friendship and adventure.

It still is? I mean hell, the current arc is happening to begin with because Luffy leaves no man behind.

The Strawhats were that family you wished you were a part of. The amazing world of One Piece was just that much more amazing because you were experiencing it with the Strawhats. At the turn of every page you could be crying with laughter just based on their interactions.

You still can? Only now it more frequently involves people that aren't a part of the main crew.

Like I don't blame you for getting upset that the Straw Hats have been apart for quite some time, who doesn't after all. But aside from that, it's been 20 years. God forbid Oda finally makes it clear that we are indeed making actual progress towards making it to Raftel, rather than them only sticking to sightseeing. The endgame has them currently intertwined with the Yonkou whether they like it or not. That said, even when they're "forced" to go to these destinations, we're still seeing a lot of varied locations, from Fishman Island to Whole Cake Island.

And there's still several destinations Oda has made us look forward to, like Elbaf and Wano for instance.

RedBoot

Also you should read the cover stories, they stopped animating them after Coby and Buggys (and Jangos?), even though they're very relevant towards the actual story.

It was just Buggy and Cobymeppo that were animated, though I think the Dance special that was attached to one of the movies partially covered Jango. Not sure why they stopped (it's basically free filler episodes), I think there was some nonsense about ratings or not wanting to shift away from the Strawhats, whatever.

I wouldn't say they're 100% vital, but you'll get instances where characters kind of pop back into the narrative without much explanation, whereas the cover arc would give you some basis. Either way they're fun and almost every single one of them has tied back into the main story in some fashion.

Compbros

I have that actual newspaper signed by many of the Voice Actors of the English dub.

14095769_1738411536381183_7114309664172962853_n.jpg

From the New York Times.

Good for Oda though the number of sales in Japan only is rather troubling. It seems like a very disproportionate amount of its success is to catching fire in Japan and the rest of the world didn't contribute too much.

I think its still good but the quality has declined. I'm not as invested and am honestly waiting for the good conflicts to happen again. Blackbeard crew vs Luffy's crew and Admirals hunting down Luffy. Big Mom's arc right now has been terribly boring. Sanji's past is not saving this arc at all.

The only flashback arc thats been good has been Law's since the timeskip.

Curious to see if Oda will finish within a 1200 chapter range or will he go beyond.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm hoping we either get a moon arc or Enel coming down again as he's one of my favorite characters and has my favorite devil fruit
9bdd5ec5c4d71e5c45b1d5f5978cffd8c422e845_hq.gif

tenor.gif

Yes to everything. I also think it will happen.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I like one piece, but lets be real, it's a comic meant for young boys/teenagers, it has about as much depth as Harry Potter.

Super fun though.

• arrive at new island
  • rinse and repeat

It used to be an epic about friendship and adventure. The Strawhats were that family you wished you were a part of. The amazing world of One Piece was just that much more amazing because you were experiencing it with the Strawhats. At the turn of every page you could be crying with laughter just based on their interactions.

Since the timeskip, there has been none of that because Oda is, I think, more interested in adventuring in the interest of world building rather than world building in the interest of adventuring.

You just described a lot of the pre TS arcs as well the only difference being the crew is much larger now.

Furthermore you complain about an arc adding a ton of characters people will need to look up the names of later but in a precious post you mentioned the greatness of the Alabasta arc. Ton of characters introduced there and I see no reason why someone would remember Mr. 4 and not Pica or remember whatever the hell the name of that duck was and not Bartolomeo.

IMO the issue with One Piece is after the huge war people were expecting bigger and better highs. Those are unrralistic expectations. The Manga won't reach that level again until Luffy and Shanks cross paths in a meaningful way.

I will agree that the tone has shifted. The earlier part of the series was almost all just adventure and Luffy wanting to have fun. Now he is where the big boys are and it's time to make moves regarding becoming the Pirate King. That being said there are still a lot of jokes to be had such as everything surrounding God Usopp last arc.

Asterix being 5th is the most impressive IMO considering it only has 36 albums and they release only like 1 album every two years or something.

Yeah, even as a French, I'm surprised, I known it has a huge presence in Europe but wow, 5th most selled comics? That's crazy!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'm hoping we either get a moon arc or Enel coming down again as he's one of my favorite characters and has my favorite devil fruit

I want him to come back and be in a situation where he has to fight Kizaru, as I think he's the only one who could theoretically take him on (since electricity is the only thing that can match the speed of light).

Brickhunt

One think I feel that is missing for some times is more 1x1 fights for the other Straw Hats besides Luffy and Zoro. Sanji's last true fight was, like, at Thriller Bark?

I mostly miss seeing Nami and Usopp fight by themselves. I also felt that Franky's fight in Dressrose was better than it had any right to be.

Spoiler for the current arc in the manga:
Please Oda, I don't care if they are facing a Yonkou crew right now after the failed assassination attempt. For gods sake, let the crew fight some 1x1 battles.

LotusHD

Banned
There are people here calling it the best thing they've ever read, which may be accurate, but is kinda tragic.

FWIW it's my favourite shounen series.

The series has strengths where I'd understand why someone would just outright say that, even if people would obviously strongly disagree since there's so much good shit out there to consume.

I myself have read stuff with more depth, but OP is always gonna be my favorite nonetheless.

I'm genuinely curious as to what your idea of good pacing is. Thriller Bark has the best pacing of any arcs in One Piece. It wasn't drawn out in any way. It was all laughs, action, a good bit of drama.
Archipelago Arc has the best pacing in the series for me. Also the best arc in the entire series as well, pacing playing a bit role.

Law's backstory was incredible. I gotta watch the anime ver of it someday.

Ray Down

Banned
One think I feel that is missing for some times is more 1x1 fights for the other Straw Hats besides Luffy and Zoro. Sanji's last true fight was, like, at Thriller Bark?

I mostly miss seeing Nami and Usopp fight by themselves. I also felt that Franky's fight in Dressrose was better than it had any right to be.

Spoiler for the current arc in the manga:
Please Oda, I don't care if they are facing a Yonkou crew right now after the failed assassination attempt. For gods sake, let the crew fight some 1x1 battles.

In this current fight there's no way we can have 1 on 1 fights.

Sanji major fight will be baking a cake with his wife.

Top Bottom