• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.
What merits? Very few of the things Rove listed were the fault of any of Obama's policies.

It never ceases to amaze me how little shame Rove seems to have. Of course, no one in the conservative media has an iota of a problem with someone like Rove blaming other people for leaving behind messes, but Rove still gets treated as a "serious" thinker on the mainstream news programs..

Achem:

In Mr. Obama’s recovery, average annual growth has been the slowest since the U.S. began compiling reliable economic statistics near the 20th century’s beginning—a feeble 2.9%.

Mr. Obama compliments himself on reducing the deficit to 2.8% of GDP in fiscal year 2014, down from 8.7%, 8.5%, 6.8%, and 4.1% in the proceeding fiscal years. But 2.8% only matches the average deficit for the last 50 years, and the decline is attributable in large part to Republicans’ controlling the House since the 2010 midterms and slowing spending.

The GOP House is the reason the deficit shrank by reducing the growth of spending (no mention of tax raises!) and Obama is to blame for too slow GDP growth!

Huzzah!

This strikes me as semantics but hey, it's 2015. We can't call criminals thugs anymore, now I can't call cutting the deficit a conservative accomplishment.

It's not semantics at all. The whole point of busting unions or cutting taxes etc is that it's supposed to be pro-growth, pro-opportunity, and pro-deficit cutting. Those are the actual goals. You won't achieve those goals through such policies, but that's what they are.

You might as well argue Sam Brownback has accomplished a lot, too. But that would also be stupid.

Hell, Scott Walker even argued he'd get X jobs and failed miserably.

Now, I personally don't believe deficit reduction is a smart goal to have, but it is a goal. And Walker failed that one too, considering the tax cuts he enacted were with a surplus and now they have a huge deficit...

Hillary dun goofed

Hillary Clinton recently announced that she will be appointing long-time Monsanto lobbyist Jerry Crawford as adviser to her “Ready for Hillary” super PAC.

In 2014, Clinton was paid to speak at the Biotechnology Industry Organization where she openly expressed her support for GMO crops.
http://www.nationofchange.org/2015/...former-monsanto-lobbyist-to-run-her-campaign/

First she doesnt tip at Chipotle, now she goes up against everything Chipotle stands for?

She just simultaneously lost the poor millennial and rich trophy wife vote. Oh, and my mom, who is neither.\

If theres one thing that makes a person a single issue voter, it's support of Monsanto .

POLLS!

North Carolina

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/polls/surveyusa-twc-news-north-carolina-22084?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Clinton: 45
Jeb: 43

Clinton: 47
Cruz: 42

Rand: 43

Clinton: 46
Rubio: 41

Clinton: 48
Walker: 39
Well if that held I'd certainly hope Walker is the nominee.

He reminds me a bit of Christie - an overhyped paper tiger. The difference is Christie didn't run in 2012 when he should have - Walker is running at the right time of his political career.

NeoXChaos

POLLS!

North Carolina

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/polls/surveyusa-twc-news-north-carolina-22084?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Clinton: 45
Jeb: 43

Cruz: 42

Rand: 43

Clinton: 46
Rubio: 41

Clinton: 48
Walker: 39

These polls just confirm what we already know. Jeb is the most electable of the whole group. Too bad in order to get there he's gonna have to destroy his opponents to pieces. What else is he gonna spend that money on?

Wilsongt

Christians are such loving, caring individuals.

#notallchristians

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...rthy_n_7183158.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

o-DEATH-WORTHY-570.jpg

o-DEATH-WORTHY-2-570.jpg

Two current Supreme Court justices stand out to former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R), who is almost certain to launch his campaign for president in the next several months.

Speaking at the conservative National Review Institute's ideas summit in Washington, D.C., on Thursday, Bush called Antonin Scalia “far and away the most interesting opinion writer" on the court and praised the conservative justice for his textualist approach to the U.S. Constitution.

Yet the justice he is ideologically closest to, Bush said, was Clarence Thomas.

“There’s a quiet and consistency there I like and I generally agree with his views".

This guy.

Muzy72

Banned
Is it bad to wish for someone's death? Because Scalia being on the court actively harms this country, and he sure as hell isn't going to retire...

It's good to see Bernie Sanders run and push Hilldawg to the left, but it's also depressing cause he's gonna get shredded by the media for not combing his hair.

If they're gonna call out Bernie's hair they better call out Rand Paul's hair as well.

oRExuLt.jpg

What's the name of this travesty? Cthulu-cut?

It's still a net win for the good guys. Replacing ten years of +15 R voters dying off with ten years of +5 R voters among the still-dominant voting bloc is not a good thing for the GOP.

kess

Pew has a study of 25,000 interviews identifying the partisan leaning of the general public (not just voters), and they came up with an interesting chart regarding white people's lean by age in 2014.

http://www.people-press.org/2015/04/30/a-different-look-at-generations-and-partisanship/

Those born in '92-'96 are skewing back towards republican. I guess they're just too young to remember how terrible Bush was.

Ah ha, this confirms my pet theory about the early Baby Boomers being more Democratic.

NeoXChaos

Pew has a study of 25,000 interviews identifying the partisan leaning of the general public (not just voters), and they came up with an interesting chart regarding white people's lean by age in 2014.

http://www.people-press.org/2015/04/30/a-different-look-at-generations-and-partisanship/

Those born in '92-'96 are skewing back towards republican. I guess they're just too young to remember how terrible Bush was.

You cant blame them on memory. They were 8, 7, 6 , 5 , & 4 when Bush took office. 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 when he left so all their political memory would be during obama's presidency. None of them would have a recollection of the first Bush term and you could argue most the second term.

Which term was worse, Bush 2nd or 1st?

2. If you look at the further graph, its shows a dire path for the GOP. People are getting more Democratic. If you turned eighteen during clinton, Bush or Obama's presidencies you voting democratic well ahead of the national average.

Mm... That's only among white people though. And 2014 voters.

I can't imagine the 2014 electorate of white 18-24 year olds is very representative of the group as a whole.

KingK

I'm white and was born in 92, and this matches up with my anecdotes at least. In my experience white millennials aren't significantly less conservative than older folks, there's just proportionally less white people in our generation.

FWIW, i started reaching political awareness in the last couple years of Bush's term and already had a sort of "first draft" of my political views on a lot of issues by the time 08 came along. To the point that i volunteered for Obama's campaign. I think that's a lot earlier than most, and most people in my age group were completely unaware of politics before 08 at the earliest.

NeoXChaos

I got a question? I see repeated claims that Florida is a "must win" for the Republicans. Why not Ohio? Why Florida?

Would we not know who won by the time of Florida finish counting their votes?

Wilsongt

Looks like one of Christie's lackeys is taking the fall for BridgeGate.

http://news.yahoo.com/former-christie-ally-plead-guilty-friday-bridge-scandal-132453227.html

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A former ally of New Jersey Governor Chris Christie on Friday pleaded guilty to federal charges related to the George Washington Bridge closure scandal, while two others were indicted - another blow to Christie's image at a time when he is trying to get his presidential campaign off the ground.

David Wildstein, a former senior Christie appointee to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, pleaded guilty to two counts of conspiracy at a U.S. district court in Newark.

Prosecutors also unsealed indictments against Bill Baroni, former deputy executive director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and Bridget Kelly, a former deputy chief of staff to Christie. They were charged with conspiracy to commit wire fraud.

Paul Fishman, who succeeded Christie as the U.S. Attorney for New Jersey, said no one else was expected to be charged in the bridge scandal, based on current evidence.

So, Christie getting a sudden surge in the polls?

Christians are such loving, caring individuals.

#notallchristians

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...rthy_n_7183158.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

o-DEATH-WORTHY-570.jpg

o-DEATH-WORTHY-2-570.jpg

I wonder if these folks have ever read what Leviticus has to say about immigration?

Leviticus 19:33-34 said:
When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt.

Wilsongt

Wisconsin Republicans really do want people on SNAP to eat gruel.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2015/05/01/3653919/wisconsin-food-stamps-shellfish/

But the fact that Brooks doesn’t want to go quite as far as the worst ideas of his colleagues doesn’t mean his proposal would benefit society or make it easier to get out of poverty. Adding more rules to the ones that already constrain food stamps families makes their shopping experiences more stressful and removes their already-limited control over what they put on the dinner table.

The law would restrict access to a whole range of commonplace ingredients. Some of the things that would be harder to buy for poor families who cook include “herbs, spices, or seasonings,” all nuts, red and yellow potatoes, smoothies, spaghetti sauce, “soups, salsas, ketchup,” sauerkraut, pickles, dried beans sold in bulk, and white or albacore tuna. (Cans of “light tuna” are allowed under the rules.)

To demonstrate the perils of food policing at Thursday’s hearing, a Democrat on the committee held up a plate of four different kinds of cheese. Although they are nutritionally indistinguishable, three of the four cheeses would be prohibited. “When you look at something like this cheese plate, there’s no evidence of sharp cheddar fraud. People are not buying sharp cheddar in order to defraud FoodShare, and there’s no nutritional difference. So if those are the stated goals, the bill is not accomplishing either,” Rep. Mark Spreitzer said.

Brooks’ bill is just the latest example of conservatives around the country being loudly concerned about the scourge of poor people making their own decisions. Kansas Republicans recently got a radical, unprecedented list of activities and purchases banned for SNAP and welfare recipients. The Maine GOP is working toward its own version of a “junk food ban,” while a Missouri version of the shellfish idea appears to be going nowhere in the statehouse.

https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/publications/p4/p44578.pdf Some of the things ALREADY restricted.

Not allowed:

NOT ALLOWED:
• Potatoes (except sweet potatoes and orange yams)
• Items from the salad bar, party trays, fruit baskets,
dried fruit, decorative fruits and vegetables
• Nuts, including peanuts, fruit/nut mixtures
• Herbs, spices, or seasonings

Canned food:

Cranberry sauce, pie filling
• With any syrup (heavy, light, naturally light, extra light, etc.)
• With added sugar (sweetened
juice, fruit gel or nectar)
• With artificial sweetener (for example, Splenda or NutraSweet)

NOT ALLOWED:
• Pizza, lasagna or spaghetti sauce
• Soups, salsa, ketchup
• With any oil

Canned fruit/veggies not allowed:
NOT ALLOWED:
• Potatoes, sweet potatoes, orange yams
• Pickles and pickled vegetables (for example, sauerkraut)
• Creamed vegetables (for example, cream-style corn)
• Beans, peas and lentils (for example, black-eye peas, lima,
pinto, kidney, and butter beans) that are allowed on checks
for canned beans/peas/lentils
• Baked beans, pork and beans, refried beans
• Chopped garlic in oil
• Soup, ketchup, relishes, olives

And the list goes on.

Potatoes are one of the cheapest foods you can buy, it's ridiculous to restrict them. I'm not opposed to restricting shit like candy and soda but obviously that wouldn't stop someone on assistance from buying it with their own money.

Teggy

No beans and cans of tuna? Why? These are some of the cheapest protein-packed foods available. What could they possibly have against them?

Talk about cartoon villains.

EDIT: I looked at the document. You can have beans but they have to be very specific kinds of beans. Still ridiculous.

Wilsongt

No beans and cans of tuna? Why? These are some of the cheapest protein-packed foods available. What could they possibly have against them?

Poor people are suppose to be poor and hungry. That's what the true meaning of being poor is. They need to stop sucking off the public tit and pull up their bootstraps. Work 365 days a year. 24 hours a day. 15 jobs and pay 90% of their money in taxes. That is a true American.

Wilsongt

EDIT: I looked at the document. You can have beans but they have to be very specific kinds of beans. Still ridiculous.

This new proposal would make it more restrictive. Those rules are currently in this. This dodo is proposing even more oppressive rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom