• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2015 |OT| Keep Calm and Diablos On

Status
Not open for further replies.
a5M6goS.gif

Previous PoliGAF Threads:

PoliGAF 2014 |OT2| We need to be more like Disney World/You are already Kay Hagan
PoliGAF 2014 |OT| Kay Hagan and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad News

PoliGAF 2013 |OT3| 1,000 Years of Darkness and Nuclear Fallout
PoliGAF 2013 |OT2| Worth 77% of OT1
PoliGAF 2013 |OT1| Never mind, Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

PoliGaf 2012 |OT6| OBAMA
United States Election: Nov 6, 2012 |OT| - Barack Obama Re-elected
PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi
PoliGAF 2012 |OT4|: Your job is not to worry about 47% of these posts.
PoliGAF 2012 |OT3| If it's not a legitimate OT the mods have ways to shut it down
PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread |OT2| This thread title is now under military control
US PoliGAF 2012 | The Romney VeepStakes: Waiting for Chris Christie to Sing…
PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

PoliGAF 2011: Forum member gridlock causes inaction on thread title naming crisis
PoliGAF 2011: The 112th U.S. Congress is now in session: Want some graphs with that?

Poligaf episode 2010: The Empire Strikes Back
PoliGAF 2010: On our way to November 2
PoliGAF 2010: Home Of "By The Time I Get To Arizona"

PoliGAF Thread of PRESIDENT OBAMA Checkin' Off His List
PoliGAF Thread of PRESIDENT OBAMA's First 100 Out of the Way

NeoXChaos

As the unofficial Diablos #2, I cant guarantee I wont blow a lid this year. x(

I believe that Al Franken pic is the real aaron.

HylianTom

Banned
Okay Aaron.. I'm insanely jealous of you meeting Senator Franken. Probably one of my absolute favorites.

Remember how Election Night '08 was one big laughfest? I was that guy who was outwardly happy, but quietly worrying about Franken's race until it got declared later on. Put a bit of a damper on that night for me. But it worked out. I knew that if Franken won, he'd charm the crap out of Minnesota and end-up Senator for as long as he wants. And now I get to enjoy bitter FreeRepublic jokes about Franken's goons "finding" car trunks full of forged ballots. =P

benjipwns

Banned
Of course Rudy puts out a WSJ editorial backtracking that only subscribers can read.
Google search the title (and sometimes subtitle too) and click through. It'll go around the subscriber block.

Why would he even veto that? Its not like we do a lot of trade or have an real interests in that part of Africa. I mean, I know why, its just fucked up how he could come out in support of racism and still be remembered by people as a good president.
Cold War.

Blocking sanctions (which are basically temper-tantrums that hurt the poor and oppressed most) against a country is way down the list of terrible things the United States Government did during the Cold War. (And since.)

Was mirrored here. Give them a click and stuff.

There has been no shortage of news coverage — and criticism — regarding comments I made about President Obama at a political gathering last week in New York. My blunt language suggesting that the president doesn’t love America notwithstanding, I didn’t intend to question President Obama’s motives or the content of his heart. My intended focus really was the effect his words and his actions have on the morale of the country, and how that effect may damage his performance. Let me explain.

The role of an American president is unique. It is not simply that he or she is vested with the executive power of just any national government. Rather, the president heads the government of the one country with an unequaled record of promoting and protecting human freedom — and the only country in the world that is in a position to continue doing so if properly led.

Our leaders’ best efforts have combined intelligence, compassion, strength and perhaps most notably a strong sense of optimism. Leading this country well means being able to capture the unlimited possibilities before us. Those possibilities exist because we have political and economic freedom that unleashes the potential in each of us. American values, worn with pride, give our nation a unique moral authority that can help achieve foreign-policy and security goals while fostering the consensus necessary to address thorny domestic issues.

Irrespective of what a president may think or feel, his inability or disinclination to emphasize what is right with America can hamstring our success as a nation. This is particularly true when a president is seen, as President Obama is, as criticizing his country more than other presidents have done, regardless of their political affiliation. Furthermore, this president sometimes seems to have a difficult time in expressing adequate support for important allies, particularly Israel, Ukraine and Jordan. We can all agree that the Islamic State militants and other radical Islamists — including the regime in Iran, the largest state sponsor of terrorism in the world — threaten our safety and security. Any reluctance to hold up America and its ideals in contrast to the nation’s enemies weakens our message. Any reluctance to define accurately the beliefs of our enemies helps them camouflage themselves and confuses our military and intelligence efforts.

Presidents John Kennedy, Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton all possessed the ability to walk a fine line by placing any constructive criticisms regarding the ways the country might improve in the context of their unbending belief in American exceptionalism. Those presidents acknowledged America’s flaws, but always led with a fundamental belief in the country’s greatness and the example we set for the world. When President Reagan called America a shining city upon a hill, it burnished our image, rallied our allies and helped ultimately to defeat the Soviet empire.

Obviously, I cannot read President Obama’s mind or heart, and to the extent that my words suggested otherwise, it was not my intention. When asked last week whether I thought the president was a patriot, I said I did, and would repeat that. I bear him no ill will, and in fact think that his personal journey is inspiring and a testament to much of what makes this country great.

I hope and pray that President Obama can rise to the occasion and underscore America’s greatness as our history and values merit. If he does so, I will be the first to applaud him. But I can only be disheartened when I hear him claim, as he did last August, that our response to 9/11 betrayed the ideals of this country. When he interjected that “we tortured some folks,” he undermined those who managed successfully to protect us from further attack.

And to say, as the president has, that American exceptionalism is no more exceptional than the exceptionalism of any other country in the world, does not suggest a becoming and endearing modesty, but rather a stark lack of moral clarity.

Over my years as mayor of New York City and as a federal prosecutor, I earned a certain reputation for being blunt. The thoughts I express, whether clearly or ambiguously, are my own and they are my individual responsibility. But whether you agree or not with what I said last week, I hope the intention behind those words can be the basis for a real conversation about national leadership and the importance of confidence and optimism in framing America’s way forward. I hope also that our president will start acting and speaking in a way that draws sharp, clear distinctions between us and those who threaten our way of life.

that we go

Clever. Pretend you never sed all the racist shit you sed and deflect to something mildly less offensive.

Cold War.

Don't fit none. He sed he was fine with sanctions, provided they were done by the executive branch.

Obv he wouldn't actually do them, but, y'know, don't fit.

His line seemed to be that congressional sanctions would harm the darkies, but executive sanctions were made of pixies and fairy dust, thus a far better option.

Ecotic

Rudy said:
Presidents John Kennedy, Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton all possessed the ability to walk a fine line by placing any constructive criticisms regarding the ways the country might improve in the context of their unbending belief in American exceptionalism.

This is a hated tactic of mine, when politicians try to make their criticisms seem valid and non partisan by talking up past politicians from the opposing party with whom they never liked. It's so insulting and intellectually shallow, as if I'm supposed to believe that when it mattered, they'd have gone out of their way to say something good about them.

"Even Jimmy Carter wasn't this bad."

This is a hated tactic of mine, when politicians try to make their criticisms seem valid and non partisan by talking up past politicians from the opposing party with whom they never liked. It's so insulting and intellectually shallow, as if I'm supposed to believe that when it mattered, they'd have gone out of their way to say something good about them.

"Even Jimmy Carter wasn't this bad."
He was history's greatest monster

0077.JPG

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more

True story: we were still on page 99 when I started that damn post. I'm glad I was able to get it on the last page of the last thread rather than having to post it on the first page of this thread.

Who was diablos and why do we need to be more like Disney World (I've never liked Disney World) ?

Diablos always predicts doom for the Democrats (though he is one, himself, if I'm not mistaken). Next time you see him post, click on his tag for a visual representation.

NeoXChaos

Well with a presidential election imminent, this thread should by summer go by faster when the debates start happening.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Well with a presidential election imminent, this thread should by summer go by faster when the debates start happening.

That's right, the debates start this year! But the stupid jerks at the RNC decided the first one won't be until September, unlike in 2011 when it happened in May. Now we have to wait an extra 4 months for the fun to begin. :(

benjipwns

Banned
"Our investigation uncovered that the border is boring and long as fuck and I look terrible in a backwards baseball cap pushed all the way down on my head, sunglasses and tactical vest unlike Governor Perry who can pull it off."

He should do the Montana border next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom