• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope Francis warns that education on transgender subjects is "against nature"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see it the opposite way... The Pope and the church at large remain backwards on some subjects and will remain that way for the foreseeable future, but when they do make progressive strides that deserves to be celebrated.

I agree. This whole thread seems like an overreaction. But at least it's good practice for some of these sick burns.

Pro tip: NeoGAF will always be leagues ahead on the Progressiveness Scale of a guy who heads a major old religious institution.

^

MartyStu

Are some of you serious? He is the fucking Catholic Pope.

He can only be so 'cool'. You would need to be naive as fuck to think this is unexpected.

He is still 'Cool Pope', but emphasis on 'Pope.'

That said, the catholic church and most major religions/churches can go fuck themselves with this garbage.

obin_gam

Shut up
waQ4y6U.jpg

Matty77

Hormones and body-altering surgery aren't harmless. It makes sense to be concerned for someone who is harming themselves.
Medical science has found in a lot of cases that physical treatment is the best way to prevent harm in transgender patients and considering the amount of psychological and physical treatment you have to go through to get these medical diagnosis and the Hippocratic oath I am going to take the medical community's word that hormone and other surgical treatments prevent harm not cause it.

Carcetti

Saying someone's the best pope is like saying 'that's the best dog shit I found on the street, at least compared to that previous dog shit'.

JeTmAn81

Medical science has found in a lot of cases that physical treatment is the best way to prevent harm in transgender patients and considering the amount of psychological and physical treatment you have to go through to get these medical diagnosis and the Hippocratic oath I am going to take the medical community's word that hormone and other surgical treatments prevent harm not cause it.

Any surgery harms the body, even if the results of the surgery can be helpful. Transgender surgery is cosmetic and serves a psychological purpose, so it makes sense to be wary of taking such a drastic step.

Do you mind posting any links to research concluding that surgery is the best option to help gender dysphoria? I've done research on this topic and haven't previously seen anything that points to that conclusion.

were talking the other day on the kitchen and i got very upset about this, but frankly i havent heard much of this specific theme before. my family (specially my sister. who is slightly more pro gay ) said this education was stupid and idiotic.
But i never really got her point of view, i understand there is going to be serious problems implementing such system and some things will (need( be changed or ignored , but it can be only for good right? i believe at the very least gender awareness has to be teached to show the children not everything is black and white,because what we have right now is not working much, at least on my country
Yes. Transgender people are real so it does a disservice to society to attempt to misinform people about them or to not teach about their existence at all. Anyone advocating against education is ignorant at best and a bigoted piece of shit at worst.

Any surgery harms the body, even if the results of the surgery can be helpful. Transgender surgery is cosmetic and serves a psychological purpose, so it makes sense to be wary of taking such a drastic step.

Do you mind posting any links to research concluding that surgery is the best option to help gender dysphoria? I've done research on this topic and haven't previously seen anything that points to that conclusion.

You realize the psychological well being is equally important if not more important than the physiological?

Carcetti

What's your research? Google or medical journals? Because you might want to look at the latter if you're failing to find stuff on the former.

I honestly wonder when the church (really all major religions) are gonna stop peddling the idea that being gay or trans or w/e sexual orientation is a choice. Like I am not gay, its not a choice. I am not choosing to be attracted to women. I literally just am. It works the other way. Like why the fuck is that so hard to understand? Have they ever spoken to a gay/lesbian/trans person in their life and asked this fucking simple question?

Because you get the same answer everytime. And so how the fuck is this not understood. Like I genuinely don't understand how you can consider yourself an intelligent person and not reach this conclusion.

liquidtmd

Banned
The concept of 'Nature' he's referring to is a man made concept of ideology.

For a man who probably wanks himself to sleep considering himself enlightened, he sits alone in the dark.

rjinaz

Hormones and body-altering surgery aren't harmless. It makes sense to be concerned for someone who is harming themselves.

So are we pretending the pope is concerned about surgeries (something that doesn't even always happen with this anyway) and not God's judgement (against nature)? What's your point here? You are concerned for other reasons? Fine. The thread is not about your concern.

Mac_Lane

The pope can just fuck right off.

He's totally being manipulated by rightwing religious lunatics in France, that's a shame.

JeTmAn81

So are we pretending the pope is concerned about surgeries (something that doesn't even always happen with this anyway) and not God's judgement (against nature)? What's your point here? You are concerned for other reasons? Fine. The thread is not about your concern.

It's a bit OT, I was responding to someone else's comment in the thread. The pope's thing seems to be more about not teaching kids about modern gender practices. I agree with that. There are a lot of things that kids shouldn't learn about until they're older and have the maturity to understand it.

I honestly wonder when the church (really all major religions) are gonna stop peddling the idea that being gay or trans or w/e sexual orientation is a choice. Like I am not gay, its not a choice. I am not choosing to be attracted to women. I literally just am. It works the other way. Like why the fuck is that so hard to understand? Have they ever spoken to a gay/lesbian/trans person in their life and asked this fucking simple question?

Because you get the same answer everytime. And so how the fuck is this not understood. Like I genuinely don't understand how you can consider yourself an intelligent person and not reach this conclusion.
Because some random homophobic dickhead said it and told everybody that God told him to say it. Jesus didn't even say most of the bullshit Christians believe in. It was just random dickheads spouting bullshit and invoking God while doing so.

Joseph_Smith_Hat_South_park.jpg

Same bullshit. DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM!!!

The papacy was claiming homosexuality is a choice up until they found out it wasn't and started being more clement toward sexual attraction.

Same thing here. Many of the Pope's statements that don't concern theology itself tend to be ignorant and influenced by whatever groups that try to communicate with him.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The Catholic Church calling out something else for "ideological colonization" is rich. Hilarious, actually.

Matty77

Even if I had the time why would I have to collect all the research that has led the medical community to ascertain that in a lot of cases it's the best option and treat as such, which is the accepted opinon and official practices of the medical community, at least in the western world? Would not the burden of proof be on you to prove that's it wrong?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Personally I'm glad that we overcame nature thousands of years ago and subsequently stopped having an average lifespan of 15 years.

collige

Banned
It's a bit OT, I was responding to someone else's comment in the thread. The pope's thing seems to be more about not teaching kids about modern gender practices. I agree with that. There are a lot of things that kids shouldn't learn about until they're older and have the maturity to understand it.

And where does that leave transgender kids in your ideal scenario?

I always find it baffling when people, who supposedly believe in God creating nature, don't believe in the nature they believe God created.

Transgendered people exist. Transgendered animals exist. If you believe God exists, then they created those things. Full stop, deal with it.

mollipen

Just to be clear, are you considering surgery to be the "harm", or are you also including HRT as well?

Didn't Jesus teach to accept all people and to welcome society's rejects?

Not really. He taught to accept everyone but some of his direct quotes are far more militant:

Matthew 10:34 - "But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father in heaven. Do not assume that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. ... Anyone who loves his father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me."

Later on he enters the temple courts and literally flipped the tables of all the money lenders and drove them out. A few verses later a tree didn't have any fruit so he cursed the fig tree to be barren for eternity, and told his disciples thats what happens to people without faith. He was not always the loving hippie people seem to depict him as.

Astral Dog

Yes. Transgender people are real so it does a disservice to society to attempt to misinform people about them or to not teach about their existence at all. Anyone advocating against education is ignorant at best and a bigoted piece of shit at worst.
Makes sense, im going to try arguing with them again, thanks mr.Griffin.
Comparitively?

Also, fun fact, but Catholics aren't required to completely follow papal doctrine. I'm a Catholic and think people have the right to change their gender if they so desire. And he's not like the average protestant preacher who states that being transgender is an unforgivable sin.
So you just go against what his Holyness says? Typical Christian Rebels

Dreavus

I agree with the advocacy group, it sounds like he's pretty misinformed here tbh. He's basically saying if people don't know about it, they couldn't possible consider themselves transgender and somehow education opens the door that would otherwise be closed. That goes directly against most transgender experiences that I've heard of.

Given that I think he's had good things to say about the topic in the past, I think there's a little confusion on both sides.

This says to me that he is ok with transgender people, but he (erroneously) thinks that schools are encouraging young children to decide on their gender identity as if this were a "decision" to be made.

Considering his track record on other social issues, I'm willing to give him the benefit the doubt and say that this is more of a statement out of ignorance for gender identity and the role that schools play in that education rather than malice.

Yeah that quote reads to me like someone told the Pope that children were being brainwashed by the education system into changing their gender when they wouldn't otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom