• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope Francis warns that education on transgender subjects is "against nature"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mollipen

Given that they agree that non-education on trans issues for kids is a good idea, I think it's a fair assumption.

What does "education" mean though? If it's "trans people exist and this is what that means," I've got no problem with that if done in the right way and at a proper grade level. If it has anything to do with the actual progress of transitioning and/or offering up transitioning as the "proper" fix for being transgender, I'm not certain if I'd want that being taught in schools. Those are things to be handled in a more proper and "offering up all of the options" environment.

And either way, there's a big difference from being someone who might not agree with a certain thing or opinions on what the best course of action is, and being someone who is a "-phobe".

Platy

What does "education" mean though? If it's "trans people exist and this is what that means," I've got no problem with that if done in the right way and at a proper grade level. If it has anything to do with the actual progress of transitioning and/or offering up transitioning as the "proper" fix for being transgender, I'm not certain if I'd want that being taught in schools. Those are things to be handled in a more proper and "offering up all of the options" environment.

And either way, there's a big difference from being someone who might not agree with a certain thing, and being someone who is a "-phobe".

NOBODY wants "here is how transition works" on school. Those people are complaining about the "trans people exist, respect them using proper pronoums and don't bully" and stuff like that.

optimiss

Any surgery harms the body, even if the results of the surgery can be helpful. Transgender surgery is cosmetic and serves a psychological purpose, so it makes sense to be wary of taking such a drastic step.

Do you mind posting any links to research concluding that surgery is the best option to help gender dysphoria? I've done research on this topic and haven't previously seen anything that points to that conclusion.

You have not. Stop lying or cite your sources.

Also, the absence of proof is not proof of absence.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Not really a conclusion that's fair to make from what that user has posted so far.

Really? Considering they said transpeople are harming themselves by physically aligning their body through surgery with the inherent identity in their mind? That's very transphobic.

Nice to know we're back down the 'if you teach kids about 'x' they'll do it' rabbit hole. Then again, it's hardly like sex education and different sexualities are free of this criticism in a lot of places.

Wow.

You're a transphobe.

Lol that leap, you really couldn't come up with a better response than to just lazily resort to name calling?

That's what's so enraging about this topic, any time someone tries to intelligently talk about or criticize the biological implications of this subject , they get witch hunted.

There's a lot about this that we need to figure out, and a lot of you just aren't willing to even sit down to have the conversation, you just flip the table before anything can be established.

valeu

in cnn it says "Pope Francis reaffirmed his disagreement with teaching gender identity in schools on Sunday, after earlier calling it a "war against marriage."

i don't really understand what transgender has to do with marriage. is he worried that a cis gendered / transgender couple will get married and have a family and kids...or that they won't? or is it that he just thinks a marriage can only be a man and a woman?

as someone who was adopted i can honestly say i would have been happy with any configuration of loving parent(s)

Bolivar687

Banned
This story has been gestating for days but from everything I've seen, the CNN article linked in the OP is the only one omitting the fact that the Pope was not insulting or challenging transsexuals but instead went out of the way to explicitly do the opposite:

“Tendencies, hormonal imbalance, have and cause so many problems… we must be attentive. Not to say that it’s all the same, but in each case, welcome, accompany, study, discern and integrate. This is what Jesus would do today.”

For those a few pages back wondering about the scriptural background on these issues, the Pope is echoing Christ in Matthew 19:12, that we should absolutely accept and support people who have made these kinds of decisions about their reproductive identity. The Pope instead is questioning the idea that we should be confronting children with these issues at a young age.

Bringing gender theory into schools has unquestionably done irreparable damage to young people. The World Professional Association for Transgender Health teaches us that gender dysphoria does not persist into adulthood for the great majority of children. Yet the last few years have seen an alarming increase in the number of children referred to gender clinics, administered hormone drugs with harmful side effects to delay puberty, and even receiving sexual reassignment surgery - all with no medical consensus to back them up. These decisions are best left for when they have sexually matured, when gender dysphoria tends to persist. Otherwise, this kind of irreversible sterilization revokes the right every person has to author themselves into the human narrative.

We should undisputably teach children to be more accepting, to punish them for bullying. But it is irresponsible to let your anticlerical intolerance get the best of you and impugn the Pope for saying this. The science and data just aren't on your side.

"Trans people should be welcomed into our hearts, but y'know, obviously after we've talked them down a bit and made them act more like normal people"

Miles X

Love how so many on GAF sometimes praise this guy as amazing, then change their minds when he (obviously) comes out with this crap.

He's the Pope, you should all know the deal and should never be praising this guy.

Bringing gender theory into schools has unquestionably done irreparable damage to young people. The World Professional Association for Transgender Health teaches us that gender dysphoria does not persist into adulthood for the great majority of children. Yet the last few years have seen an alarming increase in the number of children referred to gender clinics, administered hormone drugs with harmful side effects to delay puberty, and even receiving sexual reassignment surgery - all with no medical consensus to back them up. These decisions are best left for when they have sexually matured, when gender dysphoria tends to persist. Otherwise, this kind of irreversible sterilization revokes the right every person has to author themselves into the human narrative.

We should undisputably teach children to be more accepting, to punish them for bullying. But it is irresponsible to let your anticlerical intolerance get the best of you and impugn the Pope for saying this. The science and data just aren't on your side.

B..but...y..y..you're a transphobe!! /s

keuja

Love how so many on GAF sometimes praise this guy as amazing, then change their minds when he (obviously) comes out with this crap.

He's the Pope, you should all know the deal and should never be praising this guy.

I don't see why not. His position has been much more progressive than other popes on a number of subjects so this should be praised.

mollipen

Really? Considering they said transpeople are harming themselves by physically aligning their body through surgery with the inherent identity in their mind? That's very transphobic.

I can't see it as transphobic, no. Transphobic to me is along the lines of this brief Wikipedia synopsis:

"Transphobia is a range of antagonistic attitudes and feelings against transgender or transsexual people, or against transsexuality. Transphobia can be emotional disgust, fear, anger or discomfort felt or expressed towards people who do not conform to society's gender expectations."

Being worried that trans people might be choosing the wrong solutions and might be potentially hurting themselves physically doesn't seem like transphobia, it seems like genuine concern. It's concern that I disagree with, of course, but I don't think it's wrong for people to have those concerns. Every single trans person should have those exact concerns before they transition—if they don't, then they're not being smart amount making that decision.

"You shouldn't transition because it's disgusting and won't make you a real woman" is a sentiment that I think comes from a perspective of transphobia. "I don't know that physically transitioning is the right solution, and I think other solutions should be pursued instead" is, I'd say, coming from a perspective of misguided well-meaning or ignorance on how it feels to be transgender, but not transphobia.

Now, if the argue is "you shouldn't physically transition because God doesn't make mistakes," then that gets into the realm of transphobia to me, because those people are okay with countless other examples of our fixing God's "perfection".

NOBODY wants "here is how transition works" on school. Those people are complaining about the "trans people exist, respect them using proper pronoums and don't bully" and stuff like that.

Is that really what JeTmAn81 is against? There are a lot of variations to what exactly "education" could mean, and I'm saying that it's important to know what specifically is being talked about before condemning someone for being anti-education.

The Catholic Church calling out something else for "ideological colonization" is rich. Hilarious, actually.

This. As much as I can excuse the Pope's needing to adhere to his organization's super conservative ideals, this part just read like the church forgetting its own history.

Can't remember the last time I heard a member of the clergy say something that wasn't incredibly stupid, ignorant, or hateful (and I am forced to hear them 5 days a week since a certain relative of mine listens to daily mass on the radio Mon-Fri.)

I don't know if the transgender community can really hope for support from the Pope. Transgenderism is often explained as individuals having a mind which doesn't match their body and it's treated through surgeries which alter the body. If you believe that we're all designed by God (which I think most Christian religions do?), then the implication is that God made a mistake and/or that transgender individuals are altering God's designed body. I don't think a Pope can acknowledge transgenderism without coming into conflict with this idea.

Can you not use "transgenderism?

Can you not use "transgenderism?

....Why not? It's accurate.
Psychiatrist John F. Oliven of Columbia University coined the term transgender in his 1965 reference work Sexual Hygiene and Pathology, writing that the term which had previously been used, transsexualism, "is misleading; actually, 'transgenderism' is meant, because sexuality is not a major factor in primary transvestism."

....Why not? It's accurate.

Problematic: "transgenderism"
Preferred: none
This is not a term commonly used by transgender people. This is a term used by anti-transgender activists to dehumanize transgender people and reduce who they are to "a condition." Refer to being transgender instead, or refer to the transgender community. You can also refer to the movement for transgender equality

http://www.glaad.org/reference/transgender

Oh good, teleological arguments.

The Catholic church needs to upgrade to Spinoza's God. The world is not made for us and our ends, that only works in myth.

commedieu

Banned
Yep.

I call it Occupy Wallstreet syndrome.

He rejects "wealth" ergo he's so cool...

I think that's a tinge off..

He has been real on a myriad of issues.. not just wealth. But he can't shake being a religious bigot no matter what he thinks of the Palestinians.

Folks shouldn't be shocked that he has hard hate filled lines in the sand. He's just a disgusting human being, fooled folks for a minute.

He has been real on a myriad of issues.. not just wealth. But he can't shake being a religious bigot no matter what he thinks of the Palestinians.

Folks shouldn't be shocked that he has hard hate filled lines in the sand. He's just a disgusting human being, fooled folks for a minute.

Touché but I still maintain the whole rejecting the palace to live like common folk is the thing that established him as "cool pope"

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Sometimes the Pope says something dumb, and I'm appaulled.

But to be honest, the very fact that there are people who wait with baited breath for an old white man in Europe to tell them ... anything... about how they are supposed to relate to the divine? I find that offensive by itself.

Cults are bad. It's a shame people are still trapped by their logic.

Maxinas

He's done a lot a good things, more than most people here would achieve in their lifetimes. Why exactly does him saying the things expected of his religious pedigree, make him a disgusting human being? I don't know about you, but i'd prefer to have the pope as a role model for people to look up to and not someone like Trump, now that guy...fits your description quite nicely.

See, this is my issue with your post. You bring up some interesting points but sort of faulter in the fact it's not what was being discussed. The pope outright said it should not be taught in schools and you admit that it should, suggested everyone else has a bias (well, intolerance) here when you clearly have a bias towards defending the pope and then prattle on about science not being on the side of an argument that nobody is having.

Also, let's be honest here, distrusting the church on issues of sexuality and identity is completely justified by this point. I get that you're most likely a catholic but that doesn't mean you should try to intellectualise around what the pope is saying, we all know what he said and it's even worse to suggest that people who think this was a stupid thing to say are somehow intolerant.

Elchele

Didn't Jesus teach to accept all people and to welcome society's rejects?

He isn't against accepting transgender people, he actually said so in the interview about the subject. But he's against about talking about this topic with kids, which I agree.

Eusis

Hormones and body-altering surgery aren't harmless. It makes sense to be concerned for someone who is harming themselves.
Part of being transgender is that your brain's wired in a way corresponding with the opposite sex, notably in regards to how it handles hormones. Far as I've seen from looking online normally if you're not trans you will NOT respond to those hormones well... and the inverse is true, that trying to increase the hormones of (whether due to a misguided attempt to fix it or because you have a legit deficiency) your birth sex will increase dysphoria or otherwise make you miserable.

commedieu

Banned
He's done a lot a good things, more than most people here would achieve in their lifetimes. Why exactly does him saying the things expected of his religious pedigree, make him a disgusting human being? I don't know about you, but i'd prefer to have the pope as a role model for people to look up to and not someone like Trump, now that guy...fits your description quite nicely.

I said he was real about many issues. That inherently means he's done good things. He has a choice to say words. When he does, and I find them disgusting, that's where he ends up. In that bin. His words and views make life harder for tax paying people. That disgusts me, when you don't have to go an extra mile to fuck over someone else. Especially when it's contradictory.

Ms.Galaxy

This story has been gestating for days but from everything I've seen, the CNN article linked in the OP is the only one omitting the fact that the Pope was not insulting or challenging transsexuals but instead went out of the way to explicitly do the opposite:

For those a few pages back wondering about the scriptural background on these issues, the Pope is echoing Christ in Matthew 19:12, that we should absolutely accept and support people who have made these kinds of decisions about their reproductive identity. The Pope instead is questioning the idea that we should be confronting children with these issues at a young age.

Considering I've done trans studies and I'm a trans activist, I'm going to spell something out for you. Around the age of 12 to 15, transgender children are given the option to start hormonal treatment, no younger from what I've read. No doctor or surgeon worth their licence will ever recommend or perform physical surgery until the patient is 18. Another thing, studies have shown that children have an understanding of gender, including their own, as young as 2. But the biggest thing here is that most gender therapist recommend to the parents to let their child explore their gender until they are ready to continue or not, if the son wants to be refered to as a girl, just do so. Let them explore freely.

And no, it's not best for them to start treatment after they are sexually mature, this gives them a much more harder time to "pass", which leads to more harassment, abuse, and pain. Then there's the fact a lot of transgender children will start self hating and gaining far more distressing feelings over their gender dysphoria through puberty as trans women start growing hair all over their body and face and trans men grow breasts, which will lead to anxiety, depression, and sometimes suicide. There is real dangers for legitimate transgender children to wait that long to transition, and in those cases, if the option is to start the treatment before puberty fully damages their physical bodies or wait after, it's best to start before.

Yes, I agree more studies are needed to better identify a transgender child over a gender curious one, but we shouldn't stop those who truly need that treatment from starting it as young as 13 or 14. We also should educate children in transgender education, that people like this exist, that it's alright for them to have these feelings, and if they have these feelings they should talk to their parents, someone they trust, and most certainly a doctor. I'm also okay with limiting this education to be taught around the same time as sex ed is being taught, when students are 12, 13, 14 and they can try to make an informed decision based on the information they learned and the long term feelings they had for years.

Oh please, just throwing a blanket statement "only anti-transgender activists use it" is so weak and lazy. There's no logical reason or argument to why it can't be used, there's absolutely nothing offensive or insensitive about it and as pointed out, it was in fact the origin of the word transgender in the first place. I guess all these recent scientific journals and articles on the subject that use the term were completely manufactured by anti-trans activists right?

I'm also finding it hard to find any other article that brings up the sensitive nature of the word, and I'm seeing it used in all kinds of pro-trans sites and articles, hell the cambridge university student LBGT website has its trans content behind a transgenderism tag. I guess those guys are anti-trans activists right?

Ketkat

Why don't you try using an actual unbiased source to find your "scientific" articles from? I'm not sure 4thwavenow "A community of parents & friends skeptical of the "transgender child/teen" trend" is really going to be giving you reputable information

Platy

You know why we have a "most dysphoria does not persist into adulthood" data and not a "most kids who transitioned gave up half way" ?
BECAUSE DOCTORS OBSERVE THE KIDS FOR A LONG FUCKING TIME BEFORE GIVING HORMONES AND SURGERY

Regret on SRS is between 1 and 2 percent ... that is less than more than "i will save your arm" kind of surgeries !
Sources 1 2 3

WHO has standards of care for trans people and they all cover exactly what you fear.

The second link has shows that it was the first study IN THE UNITED STATED. But guess what ? LOTS of other countries have been doing puberty blockers and following trans children with doctors for YEARS. No regret in those "100% of puberty blockers followed by sex hormones" EVER REGISTERED

But the second link is SO problematic that I will adress this in the second quote.

B..but...y..y..you're a transphobe!! /s

The second link is from a site called "4thWaveNow - A community of parents & friends skeptical of the "transgender child/teen" trend". Their headlines show that "skeptical" is a pretty bad term.
questioning sterilization of 11-year olds same as denying cancer treatment
And it goes and goes.
This site is FULL of transphobic shit. There is article that mixes Trans people responses to transphobia in society as regret of transition for inner reasons, an article that shows that as how there is no proof of trans kids in the past, trans kids should not exist and other TRANSPHOBIC BULLSHIT

JUST THE LINKED ARTICLE says that a kid can be trans because "The ability to achieve an instant “special” status. There is an appeal for some to identify as transgender in order to receive extra attention or boost their social standing", complains about "The push for transgender identities to be seen as a normal variation of human existence (like homosexuality)" and that between the reasons a kid might feel that they are trans is : "There is a burgeoning group of people who are out to educate the world about the importance of accepting transgenderism. Their pleas are often presented as anti-bullying or anti-discrimination campaigns."

The level of transphobia on this site is OFF THE CHARTS.

And ... trust me. Brazil has NOTHING of this and we still have a brazillian bazillion of trans people of all shorts. To the contrary, we have the higher numeral (not percent, in percent we are like 3 or 4th in the world) of trans deaths in the WORLD. We have zero talk in schools about even homophobia, state healthcare for trans people is practically inexistent and puberty blockers are not officially accepted yet.. and guess what, the number of trans people growing, which fears that site so much that IS ITS OWN TOP BANNER is still happening here. It is because people are starting to know that you feel is called being trans. It is normal. Happened to homosexuality too a long time ago. It is called "representation matters"

Oh please, just throwing a blanket statement "only anti-transgender activists use it" is so weak and lazy. There's no logical reason or argument to why it can't be used, there's absolutely nothing offensive or insensitive about it and as pointed out, it was in fact the origin of the word transgender in the first place. I guess all these recent scientific journals and articles on the subject that use the term were completely manufactured by anti-trans activists right?

I'm also finding it hard to find any other article that brings up the sensitive nature of the word, and I'm seeing it used in all kinds of pro-trans sites and articles, hell the cambridge university student LBGT website has its trans content behind a transgenderism tag. I guess those guys are anti-trans activists right?

Any?

You don't need articles just look at the first page of google

UaeXLyc.png

6yAuyzX.png

jL2DXPX.png

c5Zav3h.png

Page 2 is even worse

The New Yorker article btw was included by accident in my pictures.

http://www.autostraddle.com/the-new...l-feminism-ignores-actual-trans-women-247642/

mieumieu

You know why we have a "most dysphoria does not persist into adulthood" data and not a "most kids who transitioned gave up half way" ?
BECAUSE DOCTORS OBSERVE THE KIDS FOR A LONG FUCKING TIME BEFORE GIVING HORMONES AND SURGERY

Regret on SRS is between 1 and 2 percent ... that is less than more than "i will save your arm" kind of surgeries !
Sources 1 2 3

WHO has standards of care for trans people and they all cover exactly what you fear.

The second link has shows that it was the first study IN THE UNITED STATED. But guess what ? LOTS of other countries have been doing puberty blockers and following trans children with doctors for YEARS. No regret in those "100% of puberty blockers followed by sex hormones" EVER REGISTERED

But the second link is SO problematic that I will adress this in the second quote.

The second link is from a site called "4thWaveNow - A community of parents & friends skeptical of the "transgender child/teen" trend". Their headlines show that "skeptical" is a pretty bad term.
And it goes and goes.
This site is FULL of transphobic shit. There is article that mixes Trans people responses to transphobia in society as regret of transition for inner reasons, an article that shows that as how there is no proof of trans kids in the past, trans kids should not exist and other TRANSPHOBIC BULLSHIT

JUST THE LINKED ARTICLE says that a kid can be trans because "The ability to achieve an instant “special” status. There is an appeal for some to identify as transgender in order to receive extra attention or boost their social standing", complains about "The push for transgender identities to be seen as a normal variation of human existence (like homosexuality)" and that between the reasons a kid might feel that they are trans is : "There is a burgeoning group of people who are out to educate the world about the importance of accepting transgenderism. Their pleas are often presented as anti-bullying or anti-discrimination campaigns."

And ... trust me. Brazil has NOTHING of this and we still have a brazillian bazillion of trans people of all shorts. To the contrary, we have the higher numeral (not percent, in percent we are like 3 or 4th in the world) of trans deaths in the WORLD. We have zero talk in schools about even homophobia, state healthcare for trans people is practically inexistent and puberty blockers are not officially accepted yet.. and guess what, the number of trans people growing, which fears that site so much that IS ITS OWN TOP BANNER is still happening here. It is because people are starting to know that you feel is called being trans. It is normal. Happened to homosexuality too a long time ago. It is called "representation matters"

thank you for this post. I learn something everyday in GAF!

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
And it goes and goes.

Ah. So, like I called it. Transphobic. Also, homophobic.

Just for the record page 2 of google when you search transgenderism...

For every one benign usage you get

It is a term largely used by anti-trans folk these days.

That's why GLAAD suggests ya don't use it.

Mendrox

Reminds me that I still have to leave the church in Germany. My mum took me to a catholic school because of the education but I never gave a shit about all that Religion crap. I will also save money! About 20 Euros a month or something like that. I just wont be able to marry in a church except if my girl is still in the church then (or i could just Enter it for that one day if that should happen).

What a piece of shit. We do we still have people like this. Cant we start the anti brain washing of catholics? ~_~

I had to go to church 4 times a month at school and my knees died, it was so boring and just bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom