• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pope Francis warns that education on transgender subjects is "against nature"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syder

''Today, in schools they are teaching this to children — to children! — that everyone can choose their gender.''
No, they're not.

Misunderstands subject, makes tit of himself. Standard behaviour for a religious figure.

Ekai

It's a bit OT, I was responding to someone else's comment in the thread. The pope's thing seems to be more about not teaching kids about modern gender practices. I agree with that. There are a lot of things that kids shouldn't learn about until they're older and have the maturity to understand it.

In my general experience: Trans kids are super quick to be aware of this shit. Frankly speaking it would only behoove and benefit them for society to be more open about this stuff than just hiding it.

It's a bit OT, I was responding to someone else's comment in the thread. The pope's thing seems to be more about not teaching kids about modern gender practices. I agree with that. There are a lot of things that kids shouldn't learn about until they're older and have the maturity to understand it.

What benefit would there be to that?

Audioboxer

The Catholic Church has acknowledged evolution for decades now if I remember correctly.

Acknowledged it, and teach it correctly are two different things. The second you tie God up in anything you're already muddying the waters of the science. Creationists come in different forms, some stating evolution is real but God created it.

Also on time the Catholic church continues to produce the worst of Western religion. I mean at the end of the day all religions plagarise each other so the same veins of ignorance, bigotry and discrimination run through nearly all of them.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Acknowledged it and teach it correctly are two different things. The second you tie God up in anything you're already muddying the waters of the science.

Also on time the Catholic church continues to produce the worst of Western religion.

Just pointing out that they aren't denying it or saying its impossible in a world created by god. Never said anything about teaching it.

Nah bruh.

Schools ain't teaching kids that they can choose their gender. What's being accepted is that kids can be the gender that they know they are. Some kids get born with organs and body parts that ain't right.

If I believed in god, I'd thank it because we're getting (long ass way to go) better about accepting people and cheering them on to be their true self.

oof.. the "against nature" argument. cringeworthy.

besides, the genetics behind gender/sexuality are so strong that the vast, vast majority of people, even children, cannot just CHOOSE to be whatever.. and even if they could and wanted to switch identity on a whim, who gives a flying fuck? we should strive to create a world where that wouldn't be a huge deal.

Bro Francis, I thought you were cool....
3i7zenReaUuI0.gif

norinrad

I never liked him and for a good reason. At least the former was ok in my book because he was just true to who he was.

Keri

I don't know if the transgender community can really hope for support from the Pope. Transgenderism is often explained as individuals having a mind which doesn't match their body and it's treated through surgeries which alter the body. If you believe that we're all designed by God (which I think most Christian religions do?), then the implication is that God made a mistake and/or that transgender individuals are altering God's designed body. I don't think a Pope can acknowledge transgenderism without coming into conflict with this idea.

There is a subtle difference between natural and "nature".

A total unrelated example would be something like cancer which happens in a natural way but it isn't supposed to be part of life for almost all people.

Not that I compare transgendered people with cancer and stuff but for someone who believes in the Bible there is a very specific way of seeing genders.

Frodo

To be honest, the Pope would be the one to know about ideological colonization.

Also, go eat an unnatural dick.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Practically everything humans do is 'against nature' if you want to adhere to that arbitrary nonsense.

This guy, by and large, has been more positive than most popes/religious leaders but I long for the day when nobody gives a shit what any of them have to say.

sazzy

To be fair, education of any kind is against nature, no?

You don't see any trees reading a book, do you?

Frodo

To be fair, education of any kind is against nature, no?

You don't see any trees reading a book, do you?

Imagine someone killed, and skinned your friends, wrote a few bad dialogues a-la-50 shades of grey on their skin and then put everything together on a binder. WOULD YOU READ IT?

So you cant blame the trees, can you?

NimbusD

Did anyone really expect him to be any more liberal on this? The fact that he's not condemning them all to hell and calling for action against them is about as good as you'll get from the church.

We still have a while to go before the church can catch up to modern morals.

Eusis

How long until we stop pretending this pope is "cool"?
Most sensible people probably keep in mind that this is relative to pope standards. Whoever is the pope is inevitably going to take this stance on these matters, we can just hope they're more sympathetic than not.
So Jesus is unnatural?
He kind of is GodHax. Not following the normal operating procedures established for the universe.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Sure, I guess people can be disappointed. I do think this pope deserves some credit though. It feels like he's actually trying to understand rather than just repeating things he's heard. He can differ on the conclusions he comes to, but at least he gives it a shot. And above all, he isn't being hateful. I bet you could sit down with him and have a level headed discussion on this. That to me makes him cool.

No. It's hateful to claim people decide their gender/sexuality. It's hateful to deny the reality of people's lives. The pope can fuck off.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Any surgery harms the body, even if the results of the surgery can be helpful. Transgender surgery is cosmetic and serves a psychological purpose, so it makes sense to be wary of taking such a drastic step.

Do you mind posting any links to research concluding that surgery is the best option to help gender dysphoria? I've done research on this topic and haven't previously seen anything that points to that conclusion.

Wow.

You're a transphobe.

Platy

Hormones and body-altering surgery aren't harmless. It makes sense to be concerned for someone who is harming themselves.

Considering that ZERO tests were made with hormones relating to transgender patients, there are ZERO reference to hormone replacement therapy for trans people in the papers that came with the medication ... hormones are VERY harmless if done with medical prescription.

EVERY surgery is harm. That is like the basic definition of a surgery : cut yourself next to a doctor. There is not problem in that

I don't know if the transgender community can really hope for support from the Pope. Transgenderism is often explained as individuals having a mind which doesn't match their body and it's treated through surgeries which alter the body. If you believe that we're all designed by God (which I think most Christian religions do?), then the implication is that God made a mistake and/or that transgender individuals are altering God's designed body. I don't think a Pope can acknowledge transgenderism without coming into conflict with this idea.

The problem is that this Pope has said nothing about myopia correction surgery, cancer treatments and other stuff that was also god given.

So Jesus is unnatural?

Considering that he, by being a virgin birth, has no Y chromossome and is a full man with a beard, or he is a trans man or he is unnaturaly male

Audioboxer

Just pointing out that they aren't denying it or saying its impossible in a world created by god. Never said anything about teaching it.

I know.

It's just like a backhanded complement. We'll accept evolution might be a thing, but all that evidence you have for it? Nah son, God did it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom