• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Proper support for Wii U GamePad for PC is imminent (incl. video streaming)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Sign me up. It's the best gaming news I've heard all year.

-MB-

The pad has its own firmware updated automatically whenever ninty say so, it'll be blocked in weeks.

And these devs of this hack already stated they can fix that soon after too, since they have full access to the gamepad, nothing a fw update on it can block really.

Just like how they didn't let the Wii homebrew channel fly?

Last I checked that's still widely available. Uses original code, so there's absolutely naff all Nintendo can do.

When I said fly, i didn't mean they woudl be successful in blockign for good, more that they will try to stop it with updates.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Since this happened, Nintendo is gonna cross it off of their to do list and enrage people for not doing something smart.

DR2K

Banned
...Why would I want to spend that much money? Plenty of people have a Wii U, and this is a cheap if not free way for them to get remote play PC gaming.

And it's not an awful screen. As shitty as the Wii U may be in many respects, remote play is fantastic.

Remote play is absolutely awful if you're not sitting right next to the damn machine.

Zomba13

Why would Nintendo even block it? It's be extra effort on their part to stop something that at worst will sell a Wii U or two. It's not like they are hacking the actual console. They are just connecting the gamepad to a PC to act as a controller and to show stuff.

Rich!

Remote play is absolutely awful if you're not sitting right next to the damn machine.

...really? Because last time I used the Wii U in my house it worked flawlessly in every single room - and I live in a british brick built house. Must have imagined it.

It didn't fare so well in my old flat, but here it worked absolutely fine throughout.

I can play mine on the front porch some 25 feet away but can't directly above it in the kitchen. I love when it can go far but damn it's inconsistent. More than likely metals, wiring, wireless jazz getting in the way but it's still silly. Would buy a signal booster in a heartbeat.

Not sure if this has been posted as a thread before, but it's a bit of a megaton. At the recent hacker's conference, a team displayed their findings on the Wii U gamepad.

Essentially, they've cracked it, and got it streaming from a PC. They showed off emulators (including dolphin) running great with full gamepad support.

You know what this means? PC support = steam support. Steam support = DARK SOULS 2 ON THE GAMEPAD
omg off tv play for steam games??

megaton right there....

i could just have a notebook at my bedroom and play steam games on my gamepad "off tv" while on bed´.

With the amount of Gaffers who happen/claim to have a WiiU/high end PC combo that reside on this forum I suppose this news is eagerly awaited by many.

Rich!

i could just have a notebook at my bedroom and play steam games on my gamepad while on bed´.

...but that's completely and utterly missing the point of this which is having a handheld unit with integrated controls.

Try playing Witcher 3 when it comes out on your notebook. Good luck. With this gamepad hack it will function exactly as it should, with full controls - not a crappy keyboard and touchpad.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Now that was interesting.. Thanks for the heads-up!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This made me look up the shield...holy crap it's ugly. But functional I guess.

nvidia-shield-in-action.jpg

zychi

Banned
Dumb with that terrible resolution on the screen.

Maybe this will lead to a dolphin like emulator for wii u?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Hopefully this will mean you could build some sort of WiiU extender to play WiiU games at a greater distance. I've got really thick walls where I live and I can't get more then a few feet outside my living room before the signal craps out.

Dumb with that terrible resolution on the screen.
It's good enough for what it is.

Maybe this will lead to a dolphin like emulator for wii u?
er... Nope.

Xellos

Why would Nintendo even block it? It's be extra effort on their part to stop something that at worst will sell a Wii U or two. It's not like they are hacking the actual console. They are just connecting the gamepad to a PC to act as a controller and to show stuff.

Yeah, I can't think of a downside for Nintendo. Enhancing the functionality of off-TV play and getting the gamepad into more hands can only be a good thing for them. Really, they should be doing this themselves.

The main problem is that this thing is currently Linux only... so someone will have to port it to Windows. And then it's likely Durante will have to fix it.:p

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I might be missing something but why do people want Dark Souls II on the WiiU Gamepad so badly?

CompC

I've been waiting for PC game streaming to the Wii U GamePad since before the Wii U came out. I knew it was only a matter of time. I'm so ready for this. I hope it's not much longer before something is released.

O, hmm, Linux. Well, it's still just a matter of time before something is done for Windows.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
As a PC gamer and WiiU owner... I don't really see the point in this at all.

But good for those who are interested, I've been saying for a while it's only a matter of time.

The main problem is that this thing is currently Linux only... so someone will have to port it to Windows. And then it's likely Durante will have to fix it.:p

Oh wow, that's a majority of the utility gone right there lol. Most games on Steam still require Windows to run at acceptable performance. (or to run at all).

Rich!

I might be missing something but why do people want Dark Souls II on the WiiU Gamepad so badly?

Because personally, I have no PC monitor - it's hooked up to my living room TV.

I'm not the only one who lives here, and Dark Souls II will demand my time and attention. Being able to throw the game onto the gamepad whenever someone wants to watch eastenders or whatever shit is on will be a life saver. Same goes for any PC game, really. I have to clarify too that I do not play games that require a keyboard and mouse because it's fucking horrendous trying to play a game like that in this environment.

Oh wow, that's a majority of the utility gone right there lol. Most games on Steam still require Windows to run at acceptable performance. (or to run at all).

It'll get ported to windows.

Oh wow, that's a majority of the utility gone right there lol. Most games on Steam still require Windows to run at acceptable performance.

Well, the libdrc is supposedly open source. But still need to be ported. It can also be integrated, directly into your application.

cyberheater

As a PC gamer and WiiU owner... I don't really see the point in this at all..

Handy if the wife wants to watch tv and you want to play PC games. My gaming PC hasn't got a dedicated monitor. It's connected to my projector/tv via my A/V receiver.

Rich!

Handy if the wife wants to watch tv and you want to play PC games. My gaming PC hasn't got a dedicated monitor. It's connected to my projector/tv via my A/V receiver.

yep yep

that's exactly my issue. no room for a PC monitor here - it's comfy couch gaming all the way.

Yeah, I can't think of a downside for Nintendo. Enhancing the functionality of off-TV play and getting the gamepad into more hands can only be a good thing for them. Really, they should be doing this themselves.

I think it relates to being able to control the quality of the brand. By depending on a variety of computer and wireless technologies the experience will likely not be as good as with soley the WiiU - resulting in people blaming Nintendo (even if it their crappy computer or router). Why else would they have built independent wireless technology into the WiiU, as opposed to relying on wireless routers like the Shield.

They also currently sell their hardware at a loss, so selling it without potential WiiU game sales is a negative for them.

Basically it makes sense why they wouldn't do this themselves; but I still wish they did ...

Lingitiz

Hopefully Steam in house streaming will fulfill a similar role when it launches. It would be really nice to pick up my laptop and just stream games from my desktop on it.

...but that's completely and utterly missing the point of this which is having a handheld unit with integrated controls.

Try playing Witcher 3 when it comes out on your notebook. Good luck. With this gamepad hack it will function exactly as it should, with full controls - not a crappy keyboard and touchpad.

oh i just realize my sentence is not clear on what i intended.

i meant have the notebook running on the background and the gameplay on the gamepad.

cyberheater

yep yep

that's exactly my issue. no room for a PC monitor here - it's comfy couch gaming all the way.

It's the only way to go :)

Honestly. This is awesome news. I can't wait for the windows apps to appear to allow me to do this.

Hopefully Steam in house streaming will fulfill a similar role when it launches. It would be really nice to pick up my laptop and just stream games from my desktop on it.

Yeah. We're all waiting for that. No sign of it yet though.

This is amazing. I love to play a lot of old classic games on PC, recently bought Shadowman on Steam, and while fugly on the PC screen, it should look allright on the gamepad.

Rich!

oh i just realize my sentence is not clear on what i intended.

i meant have the notebook running on the background and the gameplay on the gamepad.

Oh right, yeah you could - but I'm unsure as of yet if it would require an extra PCi card for wireless, as it runs on the 5ghz band

Top Bottom