• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Proper support for Wii U GamePad for PC is imminent (incl. video streaming)

prag16

Banned
You need more than just 5GHz support. If you watch the actual presentation, working dongles are actually quite rare, and the few that do support all the required features apparently only do it on Linux because the features are not enabled in the Windows drivers. So you'll apparently need custom drivers to use this on Windows, which means you'll always be limited to a few chipsets.

That's a bit of a buzzkill.

I'm historically more of a PC gamer, but the convenience of off-TV play is one of the main factors (having a wife competing with me for the main TV) which has me playing Wii U a lot more than PC since the Wii U launched.

I'd love for this to work on PC. I'm willing to buy hardware to make it happen provided it's a relatively seamless experience.

TheD

The Detective
You imply that Shield was ever alive in the first place.
It wouldn't really need support. It's just a video stream of whatever is playing plus controller input. If it works even remotely well it'll kill the Shield.

No, the gamepad screen is much lower res than the Shield.
Games are not being made to have good UI at such a low res (if they work at all) and downsampling would give you a UI that is way too small (or not possible to make out).

donny2112

While using the Wii U GamePad would be great, found a free alternative that fits my situation (just wanting to play in bed before going to sleep instead of sitting at the computer). In my case, the 360 wireless controller for Windows already reaches my PC fine from the bed, so just needed a means to forward the picture and sound to my phone. Found a free one in Splashdot 2 that works well. Then had to do a bit of crafting to twist a coat hangar to attach my phone to the 360 controller, so I wouldn't have to hold the phone while playing (phone is in a case, so the coat hangar isn't touching the phone directly), and that worked!

BONKERS

yea, if you have a wii u this would be cool

the screen certainly is awful though

Screen isn't as awful as much is the on the fly video compression which results in severe chroma compression. (Which is what makes most stuff look like shit on it. Also: General compression too. Same can be said of PS4/Vita remote play. )

Screen isn't as awful as much is the on the fly video compression which results in severe chroma compression. (Which is what makes most stuff look like shit on it. Also: General compression too. Same can be said of PS4/Vita remote play. )

Yeah, that screen gets a bad rap. Its pixel density is neigh identical to the iPad Mini's and nobody complains about that.

Hi, I know this is an old thread. So I'm sorry... but um...

Is there a user friendly version of this, yet?
I was hoping to try to play Tera with it.

I've been trying all sorts of gamepads and keyboards and things lately to see if I could get better at Tera. I thought it would be really neat to try playing Tera with it. Or maybe Valkyria Chronicles.
And... I'm really sorry for posting in a really old thread.

Hi, I know this is an old thread. So I'm sorry... but um...

Is there a user friendly version of this, yet?
I was hoping to try to play Tera with it.

I've been trying all sorts of gamepads and keyboards and things lately to see if I could get better at Tera. I thought it would be really neat to try playing Tera with it. Or maybe Valkyria Chronicles.
And... I'm really sorry for posting in a really old thread.

The issue with LibDRC is that the Gamepad won't accept a video stream except in very specific circumstances, because it utilises a timing system called WiFi TSF. The Gamepad must get the TSF timing value to accept a video stream. There's no way of accessing the TSF value in windows, Linux requires a Kernel Tweak to get access, and even then only on certain chipsets because it's such a deprecated Wifi protocol that half the wifi chipsets out there don't even support it.

If not for Wifi TSF, We'd be playing this already.

So, until someone reverse engineers the firmware even further to actually *remove* that requirement somehow (which at the very least would require soldering a NAND dumper/writer to the Gamepad), or working out some way to access TSF timing values in Windows (also a very difficult, but perhaps not impossible feat), LibDRC is basically a dead project due to an insurmountable obstacle for end-users.

Goomba64

Banned
I don't know where to ask this but I need help. Can I play Super Mario 3D world with 2 gamepads? I can't figure out how

Well, I've been meaning to upgrade my PC. Would definitely be a bit easier getting through my STEAM library if I don't have to isolate myself in the study to play them.

So, until someone reverse engineers the firmware even further to actually *remove* that requirement somehow (which at the very least would require soldering a NAND dumper/writer to the Gamepad), or working out some way to access TSF timing values in Windows (also a very difficult, but perhaps not impossible feat), LibDRC is basically a dead project due to an insurmountable obstacle for end-users.

Eh. If you can run code in kernel space (i.e. write a driver), there's a good chance you'll have access to relevant data structures and/or can query the hardware directly. I say this while knowing next to nothing about how NT works, though. A problem is that most if not all Windows drivers for the relevant hardware are closed source, as is obviously the kernel itself, so it's an uphill struggle from here. Still, I think it's wiser to reverse engineer on that end, rather than mess with the Gamepad and the "protocol" itself.

Top Bottom