• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Proper support for Wii U GamePad for PC is imminent (incl. video streaming)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
jAlXUaE5ER8BB.jpg

That's actually Super Mario 3D World. Seriously, the screen is REALLY bad.

Realistically, I don't think this will be really usable due to latency, but it would be kinda funny if you could play the NES/SNES/N64/GC/Wii catalogue on the WiiU gamepad via PC when Nintendo itself is incapable of providing that. :lol

Hackers do what Nintendoesn't?

You can actually already do most of those on the Nvidia Shield, and Dolphin is in alpha so you might be able to get the whole lot there soon enough.

Oh wow, this is awesome.

Dunno if using the touch screen as an input device on the PC is outside of the realm of possibility, but either way, I can easily see myself getting some mileage out of this. Very excited.

Edit: Watched the demo, seems like it can be used as a touch input device (though I'll remain hesitant and assume the worst)

Will do it when I can pick up a second pad. I assume otherwise I'd have to resync it to my wii u every time I played it, and I play my wii u all the time.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Also, think outside the box a bit. It doesn't have to be used strictly for games.

It can be used as a second monitor for anything.

Yeah, my exact thought. Controlling the PC and playing some of my PC games in bed or on the crapper would be so good. I'm really curious about the latency and how fast the things with evolve.

Daingurse

This is pretty awesome extra functionality, for current WIi-U owners. If I really wanted a streaming handheld for my PC, I'd buy a Shield, but this would absolutely add value to the Wii-U for me.

Cbajd5

Watched the talk, one thing they want to try is to get a Nvidia Shield usable with the Wii U as a pseudo-Gamepad.

I find this funny.

Have they said any ETA? I didn't see one but didn't want to sit through their entire talk. Or have they said they plan on releasing this? I know some hackers just like to show they can do it, and keep it private.

Rich!

Have they said any ETA? I didn't see one but didn't want to sit through their entire talk. Or have they said they plan on releasing this? I know some hackers just like to show they can do it, and keep it private.

No point releasing it until it's ready, otherwise they'd be flooded with complaints from fools who don't understand it's an early alpha

I hope someone writes a programm to use the pad's screen as a keyboard / set of macro buttons. I could play WoW on my TV from my couch then.

Rich!

Will do it when I can pick up a second pad. I assume otherwise I'd have to resync it to my wii u every time I played it, and I play my wii u all the time.

Buy a second pad right now if you want. Plenty on eBay. Just found one for £40, which is cheaper than a Dualshock 4!

Sure, the screen isn't great, but it's awesome for everyone who owns a Wii U and a gaming PC and doesn't own an Nvidia Shield.

Not every game is about looking great, after all.

AzaK

Hmmm. How is the range? I assume the same as the Wii U itself? If I could end up playing my Steam games on the GamePad, that could almost justify the Wii U for me.

I hope it's not difficult to sync the remote between the Wii U and my PC. If it's too annoying then I may never take advantage of this..

Rich!

I hope it's not difficult to sync the remote between the Wii U and my PC. If it's too annoying then I may never take advantage of this..

It shouldn't be too hard. And like I said above, you can buy Wii U gamepads on their own from eBay for as little as £40, which is cheaper than a DS4. It'd be worth doing to have one for each purpose. Providing it's worth it in the end.

Rich!

This wont be officially supported by anything on Steam.

Though it might be modded in for some games sure.

...why is that an issue? It can act as a second monitor with the controls emulating Xinput. Literally anything will work with it.

It doesn't need to be officially supported, just like how my TV doesn't need to be.

PirateKing

I got a question, if (hopefully) when this gets ported to Windows, can I minimize PCSX2, remote play it on Wii U controller, and let my bro use PC while the emulator not interfering with what he wants to do? E.g. him watching a movie? If that's the case, I'm buying it for sure now.

I love the function of the nVidia Shield.

Sadly, I really don't like the way it looks, though. I'm really interested in this sort of thing, though.
I invested in an expensive router for it. Which I'm looking forward to using.

I already have a tablet. And I'm considering over what kind of device to get next.
I hope that more devices like this are made. I'd love to have something just like this.

I think I'm going to get another Wii U controller so I can try this out. It's much cheaper than investing $300 in an Nvidia Shield. And maybe it can last me until the Razer Edge comes down in price.

Rich!

I got a question, if (hopefully) when this gets ported to Windows, can I minimize PCSX2, remote play it on Wii U controller, and let my bro use PC while the emulator not interfering with what he wants to do? E.g. him watching a movie? If that's the case, I'm buying it for sure now.

I can't do that on a dual screen set up, so probably no. If the emulator gets a dedicated Wii U Gamepad plugin then sure, why not.

gngf123

This just makes WiiU + PC an even better combo than it was already.

I'd be interested in trying this out some day. A pretty nice little feature.

PirateKing

I can't do that on a dual screen set up, so probably no. If the emulator gets a dedicated Wii U Gamepad plugin then sure, why not.

I wish Vita was able to do that :(
Can the device (Vita) theoretically be able to do it? You don't understand how much I wanted such a device and I can't afford buying another PC.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Nope.

This will be great for Dolphin/Wii VC especially. If Nintendo isn't going to let us play all of the past games using the Gamepad controls at least someone will hack it to allow us and hopefully force Nintendo's hand a bit. It'll be interesting to see how this progresses.

Jawmuncher

All this tells me is that there's no excuse for the Wii functionality to not include controller support from the pad itself if were getting work like this done on PC.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Finally I'm able to play my PC games in low resolution on a resistive touch display up to 7m away from my PC and TV as long as there are no walls between us

You guys have no idea how long I have waited for this day

Rich!

All this tells me is that there's no excuse for the Wii functionality to not include controller support from the pad itself if were getting work like this done on PC.

There is a very good excuse actually. The Wii system is walled off completely from any Wii U functionality apart from the raw vidéo output.

You're not going to get the controls working on vWii. By contrast, the PC is completely open. Of course.

Great news. It's not that big of a thing for the community, since GamePads are not sold separately.

lol

But they are! Look on ebay!

kulapik

This is cool, yeah, and for a few minutes I saw it as a true megaton, but then I noticed something. The WiiU gamepad isn't the only touchscreen with controller buttons. There's the Archos Gamepad, for example (I know this has button sticks when the WiiU has mushroom ones). I'm sure it would be fairly easy to stream on a tablet like those and play. Only problem would be the latency, though.

KarmaCow

So does this replicate the near zero latency of the Gamepad? I would assume so because that's the defining aspect of the gamepad vs alternatives.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The great thing about this is there's not a lot Nintendo can do to stop this. It's using reverse engineered hardware protocols.

The only major pain the arse is going to have to keep resyncing from WiiU to PC. I guess you'll also need a new specific 5Ghz USB hardware wifi dongle to transmit. I wonder how much they will be?

-PXG-

Is it be possible for me to legally use my Wii U gamepad as a controller for my PC, much like I would use an Xbox controller on my PC? Because I wouldn't want to risk bricking the console or voiding the warranty.

Neither of those are illegal. The cops ain't gonna bust your door down over this.

KHlover

Banned
The great thing about this is there's not a lot Nintendo can do to stop this. It's using reverse engineered hardware protocols.

The only major pain the arse is going to have to keep resyncing from WiiU to PC. I guess you'll also need a new specific 5Ghz USB hardware wifi dongle to transmit. I wonder how much they will be?

I think most modern WLAN dongles already support 5Ghz, at least mine does. It came with my router (Fritz!Box 7390, available since 2010) and only costs 30€ for the stick itself.

Top Bottom