• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuPaul's Drag Race Season 9 |OT| The Largest Cross-Dressing Convention of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shizuka

The winning challenges actually show they are serving on what they were asked to do tho. Winning by lipsync at the end of the show made the whole season irrelevant because a contestant actually did better than everyone on the whole season then got the win stolen because of some last minute change to the format.

👆🏻

TAD

Why is everyone acting like Sasha wasn't pretty much coming second every week and never came in the bottom, didn't win one on her own sure, but was still consistently good. I liked Shea but me and my girlfriend were both glad Sasha won because she was just more interesting.

Majora

I'd be more interested in seeing number of top 3s and bottom 3s to be honest. I think that's a better metric of performance and consistency than just wins because the winning queen each week can be quite subjective. Top 3 usually less so.

royalan

I'm not going to lie, for the first half of the season I kinda forgot Sasha was there. She really didn't stand out. She even said as much in Untucked.

Hitching her wagon to Shea was the smartest thing she did.

kirblar

I agree that Sasha's shtick is eye-rolly, but she did brand herself effectively with it.

I don't think Shea managed to do that this season at all.

NoRéN

Why is everyone acting like Sasha wasn't pretty much coming second every week and never came in the bottom, didn't win one on her own sure, but was still consistently good. I liked Shea but me and my girlfriend were both glad Sasha won because she was just more interesting.
Yup. Sasha is something new and badass. So glad she won and I'm surprised at the salt in here.

NoRéN;241718451 said:
Yup. Sasha is something new and badass.
Sasha Velour is a deluxe model of The Princess and the most boring choice out of the top four. At least if Peppermint had won it'd be cool for the trans community and she's been in the business for centuries.

Kase

Not even

Shea - 4 wins
Trinity - 3 wins
Sasha - 2 wins, BOTH OF WHICH WERE TEAM WINS WITH SHEA
Peppermine - 1 win

Arguably Shea shouldn't have won the gayest ball challenge. Her first outfit wasn't even rainbow! The win should've gone to Sasha really, which would put her at equal 3 with Trinity and Shea.

Shea is very polished, but there's nothing that screams uniqueness about her. She definitely falls off there if she wants to fulfil all of charisma, uniqueness, nerve and talent qualities of a superstar queen.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
How is Sasha new? Lots of her looks can be seen on club kids and bald drag queens is not a new concept.

The winning challenges actually show they are serving on what they were asked to do tho. Winning by lipsync at the end of the show made the whole season irrelevant because a contestant actually did better than everyone on the whole season then got the win stolen because of some last minute change to the format.

I'm wondering why wins even matter if you don't give a shit about a year supply of burgers. Lip syncs are the golden snitch of RPDR.

Sydle

Just watched it again and noticed that Trinity mouthed something just a moment too soon at the beginning of the lip sync. I wonder if that mistake made Ru's decision easy.

As for people wondering why Sasha, drag is about being an entertainer. Sasha brought some surprises and the crowd loved it.

I'll confess, when that lip sync started I thought my eyes were going to be on Shea the whole time but Sasha stole my attention when the first glove came off. When she took the wig off at the height of the song it was sealed for me. If Shea would have had a smart reveal or two of some kind I think it would have gone in her direction.

valeu

i liked the ending

i would have been cool with shea, sasha or trinity winning. sasha will do a good job. she's intelligent, a creative live performer, and has a lot to offer. she definitely has charisma, uniqueness, nerve and talent. and shea and trinity not winning adds more possibilities to all stars 3

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I liked it. Having the reunion separate and without fans watching was great, and I loved the emphasis on lipyinching. Yeah, it might not work for every season, but it was cool.

Sasha destroyed it. I also think Trinity did better than Peppermint, but it's honestly hard to say with all the cuts sometimes. I wish they would release a single-camera view of the lypsincs online after each episode, it's the one part of the show I'd like to watch without cuts.

I'm wondering why wins even matter if you don't give a shit about a year supply of burgers. Lip syncs are the golden snitch of RPDR.
hahaha well said.

Pepiope

I liked it. Having the reunion separate and without fans watching was great, and I loved the emphasis on lipyinching. Yeah, it might not work for every season, but it was cool.

Sasha destroyed it. I also think Trinity did better than Peppermint, but it's honestly hard to say with all the cuts sometimes. I wish they would release a single-camera view of the lypsincs online after each episode, it's the one part of the show I'd like to watch without cuts.
It shouldn't carry over to next season. There are just some talented queens (like Kim Chi) who you could immediately write off because you know they won't be that good at a lip sync.

This was one of the best seasons ever, and though Sasha winning was due to a weird formatting twist (and sets a bad precedent for future queens who probably won't care about winning challenges anymore), the finale brought back the same lip sync motif that caused so many shock eliminations. It was an epic way to wrap everything up.

So let's pick the ten most likely candidates for AS3! I'll go:

- Shea Coulee
- Trinity Taylor
- Valentina
- Kim Chi
- Acid Betty
- Trixie Mattel
- Courtney Act
- Laganja Estranja
- Milk
- Morgan McMichaels

What say you?

xaosslug

it's kind of amazing how an overall terrible season was redeemed by the reunion and the finale. SCREAMING.

did VH1 step in after they saw all the episodes or something? LOL

This was one of the best seasons ever, and though Sasha winning was due to a weird formatting twist (and sets a bad precedent for future queens who probably won't care about winning challenges anymore), the finale brought back the same lip sync motif that caused so many shock eliminations. It was an epic way to wrap everything up.

- Shea Coulee
- Trinity Taylor
- Valentina
- Kim Chi
- Acid Betty
- Trixie Mattel
- Courtney Act
- Laganja Estranja
- Milk
- Morgan McMichaels

What say you?

I think that Ongina and Mariah Paris Balenciaga will be in it. I don't know why. Maybe they're trying to get a new Tatianna? Well, at least with Mariah, Ongina tends to be universally loved.

I think that Ongina and Mariah Paris Balenciaga will be in it. I don't know why. Maybe they're trying to get a new Tatianna? Well, at least with Mariah, Ongina tends to be universally loved.
I've been rooting for an Ongina return in AS since she cameod in All Stars 1. She'd go home in the first three episodes but I'd love to see her again regardless.

Imagine this finale format for season 6. If they had a top 4 and Darienne would probably win lmfao.

I think Sasha is a nice winner. At the end of the day winning RPDR doesn't mean that much. It's worth so much more to build a fanbase to keep getting gigs and getting paid. I was definitely rooting for Trinity, but oh well.

I was mostly disappointed we didn't get one-on-one talks with the queens like the other live finales, but I guess that's what the reunion was for even though some barely got featured in it (rip Jaymes). The reunion was lovely though. So much drama, just lovely.

Edit: seems like Ongina has a pretty good chance to go on AS3 if you look at how much she's getting featured in World of Wonder stuff. I don't think we'll see Courtney Act again, even Willam seems more likely than her. I want Laganja mostly, and Gia. Both are reality TV gold. And who could forget Jasmine Masters, she said she'd do it if they asked her.

xaosslug

the format change was probably to validate Sasha's win to the gp. Ru's affection for Sasha was very evident throughout the season, and if he had crowned her with the old format the backlash would have been mental. LOL The audience went crazy during both her lip sync performances whenever Sasha would do a little something-something, and that SHOWS peeps rather than tells them why Sasha deserved to win, etc.

kirblar

That reminds me of something that I forgot to mention - it was reminiscent of Survivor editing - we had a lot info on Sasha's personal backstory on the main show through the season. Almost none on Shea's.

I definitely think there's a chance Mariah will be on it, I'm seeing her in a lot DR adjacent stuff lately. I'm cool with it, she's actually really funny and brings a direct line to ball culture.

xaosslug

That reminds me of something that I forgot to mention - it was reminiscent of Survivor editing - we had a lot info on Sasha's personal backstory on the main show through the season. Almost none on Shea's.

eh, if she didn't share it's ha own fault. From the get go Shea seemed very "put on" and reserved... she came off to me like Valentina sorta, except Valentina always talked about her mom, which I think is what endeared her to gp so much straight out the gate.

Sydle

- Shea Coulee
- Trinity Taylor
- Valentina
- Kim Chi
- Acid Betty
- Trixie Mattel
- Courtney Act
- Laganja Estranja
- Milk
- Morgan McMichaels

What say you?

giphy.gif

Rayis

People hated it when he did Werkroom Ru for the Ru looks runway but I thought it was brilliant. I also liked the Pinocchi-ho look.

Ratrat

- Shea Coulee
- Trinity Taylor
- Valentina
- Kim Chi
- Acid Betty
- Trixie Mattel
- Courtney Act
- Laganja Estranja
- Milk
- Morgan McMichaels

What say you?
Courtney and Laganja said they wouldnt do it. There is probably a list somewhere of Queens who've denied returning. Willam and Dela.

Ratrat

the format change was probably to validate Sasha's win to the gp. Ru's affection for Sasha was very evident throughout the season, and if he had crowned her with the old format the backlash would have been mental. LOL The audience went crazy during both her lip sync performances whenever Sasha would do a little something-something, and that SHOWS peeps rather than tells them why Sasha deserved to win, etc.
The real problem is Peppermint. It says one gimmick can win a halfassed lipsync which is more important than winning challenges. Trinity deserved to be 1st runner up.

royalan

The real problem is Peppermint. It says one gimmick can win a halfassed lipsync which is more important than winning challenges. Trinity deserved to be 1st runner up.

Agreed. Peppermint's lipsync was terrible, and as someone said you could tell it was a setup for a reveal. At least with Sasha her rose petal stunt was woven into her performance. Her lipsync was good even without it. Peppermint's lipsync WAS the reveal.

Also, if this is how winners are going to be crowned, then they need to control for audience reactions. I read spoilers from people at the event that the audience EXPLODED at Peppermint's reveal and that probably made the difference and I wasn't surprised. Because anybody whose been to a drag show will tell you, a reveal will win the audience every. fucking. time.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Are y'all forgetting that Trinity had a reveal too? It just sucked

This new format was mixed for me, I think it needs the crinkles ironing out if they are going to do it again. The finale is all about about the top 4, the rest of the girls were almost on par with past season queens, relegated to audience reaction shots if they were lucky.

So now the main show is all about who can survive to the top 4, and then who can pull the most rabbits out of a hat during a final lipsync. There are positives and negatives to the changes, I'm just not fully sold on it but I don't dislike that the crown now hinges on an actual performance.

Frodo

Just watched it and I'm happy with the result.

Sasha did shine on the last half of the season, and she had a lot of memorable lewks.

About the new format, I really don't think it will carry over next season. We will probably be back to top 3 queens, and hopefully we will get to see more of the other queens too.

pislit

somebody photoshop steam sale discounts in place of the petals since it's the season.

re: the lipsync tournament

i love the Mortal Kombat format with Rupaul as Shang Tsung. next season should retain this format and then put the queen with the most wins in a bye and the two other queens fight a lipsync out for the right to battle the bye. hahahaha

About the new format, I really don't think it will carry over next season. We will probably be back to top 3 queens, and hopefully we will get to see more of the other queens too.
They can still do a lipsync, where either all 3 lipsync or just the top 2, they've done this kind of thing before there was a live final. Agreed it's unlikely to be a top 4 again, that was a one-time twist.

I like the reunited episode, but it meant here the rest of the cast had nothing to do on the finale - how do they include them more in the finale? Maybe an opening number with a bit of catchphrase/joke lyrical banter. I at least think everyone should have been introduced on the reunited episode a la S1-3.

Rayis

So final verdict on this season?

I personally liked it because it had really interesting queens, had weak challenges and lipsyncs, and the move to VH1 affected its running time which also hurt the season.

But to me the queens were the redeeming factor, looking back on season 8, it had a much weaker cast, season 8 standouts like Thorgy and Acid Betty are hardly ever heard from anymore, while some season 9 queens made a lasting impression like Nina, Valentina, Shea, and Trinity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom