• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuPaul's Drag Race Season 9 |OT| The Largest Cross-Dressing Convention of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frodo

I quite enjoyed Season 9.

It didn't have a lot of drama, and it almost was a true RuPaul's best friend race, if it wasn't for the Reunion. The queens did serve some awesome looks this season, and there were a lot of memorable moments. It is one of my favourites season so far.

Shitty challenges

Messy ending

Great reunion

Still doesn't touch 2-6 for me 🤷🏻*♂️

Also LMAO but I was thinking again today Bob reigning was honestly such a non event. Like... her season was meh and then AS2 came out and snatched away any remaining relevancy S8 had for the fandomfnksnfjkdkc

Z3K

Sasha's looks for the finale were phenomenal, she definitely won the night.
Although I still dont understand why she keeps saying she represents some sort of niche drag, what exactly about her is strange or different from other queens?

Sasha's looks for the finale were phenomenal, she definitely won the night.
Although I still dont understand why she keeps saying she represents some sort of niche drag, what exactly about her is strange or different from other queens?

well you see she doesn't wear a wig

that interview cher's mom and son challenge in season 6 might be the most uncomfortable thing ever

like what the fuck at adore's interview

'we were broke as it was the depression'

'party'

like that had to be the editing or something

Ratrat

that interview cher's mom and son challenge in season 6 might be the most uncomfortable thing ever

'party'

'I need to go to the end of this competition. I need to.'

'Party.'

mantidor

'party'

That part was obviously editing but I don't think Adore was a good interviewer at all, even with unflattering editing.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I finally watched the finale.

I'll admit I'm a little salty... for a variety of things. But first I'll start with positives:
  • I like the format of of finale, and by association the reunion, and hope it stays for future seasons.
  • I think Sasha, based on her finale performance, deserved the win. She had gimmicks, but her actual lipsync was 85% flawless (first was better than second imo)

Here comes the salt though:
  • Peppermint did not win that first lipsync, based on actual performance
  • Shea lost, not only because of gimmicks, but I'll admit that she was the weaker performer. Bitch, why? DO. BETTER. She's capable of turning out something better
  • Gimmicks, while not new to drag, was produced in a way in this episode to convey the wrong message. I fear for the future of the show
  • The leaks were actually true. Fuck. The format was so much better, so I hope Ru won't back away from it because of potential leaks.
  • Why Shea, why?
  • E0hvVq5.gif

Honestly, Sasha is such a fucking icon. SHE DID THAT. The best lipsync in drag race history.

Garret Hawke sis I've never seen someone so salty over drag race. SEETHE!!!!!!!!!!

giphy-131.gif

'party'

That was one of the funniest moments ive ever seen in drag rage. I literally burst out laughing at that. It made me fall in love a little with Adore much to my wifes concern.

Season 9 was fairly disappointing tho. It had its moments but no one really stuck out for me. The reunion was the best episode of the season.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I know somma ya'll were poking fun of how Sasha's "intellect" is highlighted, but you can deny how that shined through her thoughtful, purposeful drag. I didn't need to hear her confessionals to pick up on, I just needed to see her on stage.

That petal performance? it wasn't hinging purely on a cheap reveal. It was about weaving the petal theme throughout and thinking of ways to pull those mofos out. Thought she gave up on her mother-inspired brand of bald drag for a cheap wig? Well think again.

Speaking of which, she may not be the first bald queen, but she's the first I know of with a believable, touching cause. Don't hate because it scores points.

Shit. Now I sound like a stan.

Fucking Shea.

DO.BETTER.

Gradon

To be honest, this show pulls loads of questionable decisions with a lot of bullshit 'twists'. If Ru was to twist the show to pick the winner she wants, she will twist to her hearts content.

I'm not too bothered by it as I've gotten over it, I'm mostly just here for the ride: the challenges, the lip syncs, the girls. I'll pick my favourite but I'm just happy to see them on the show, getting to the end is just a plus for me.

Honestly, Sasha is such a fucking icon. SHE DID THAT. The best lipsync in drag race history.

Garret Hawke sis I've never seen someone so salty over drag race. SEETHE!!!!!!!!!!

giphy-131.gif
Eh, I can (and do) believe that her lip syncs that night were incredible while also disagreeing firmly with the idea of a finale having that much weight. Just personally. 🌝

mantidor

A winner from a season could never be decided from two lipsyncs, but I'm not Ru or one of the producers.

There's always been a final lipsync battle of some form, always. I'm not sure how it went down in season 7 because I stopped seeing it the moment Katya was eliminated, but the did some sort of final number didn't they? How much it weights is anyone's guess since it's never explicitly mentioned but it is very obviously an important part of chosing the winner.

kirblar

There's always been a final lipsync battle of some form, always. I'm not sure how it went down in season 7 because I stopped seeing it the moment Katya was eliminated, but the did some sort of final number didn't they? How much it weights is anyone's guess since it's never explicitly mentioned but it is very obviously an important part of chosing the winner.
There's been a 4-way lip sync the last few seasons, and they've filmed an elim for all 4 girls. It's really not been about the lip sync at all really, just overall performance.

Shizuka

The one that got the highest score/challenges won each season. The finale is just an event to legitimize that winner, it's always chosen from those parameters.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm more than okay with the finale lipsyncs truly having weight in deciding the winner, even if said winner never lipsyncs throughout the season.

I'm also more than okay with dispelling the long held belief that if you have the most wins in the challenges you've secured the crown.

I want every queen to sweat it until the very end.

I also like how Ru has resolved a criticism of the show that decries the association of lipsyncs with the bottom/losers when it should be elevated and celebrated, thus honoring its historical significance to drag.

I think this finale helped tip the scales.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Filming several crownings is to avoid leaks, you really can't say the lipsyncs don't matter.
I've always felt that beside Ru's own opinion, the past finales paid a lot of attention to social media.

For what it's worth, I'm under the assumption that they only filmed one finale this season, hence why the leaks were true. Am I correct?

kirblar

I've always felt that beside Ru's own opinion, the past finales paid a lot of attention to social media.

For what it's worth, I'm under the assumption that they only filmed one finale this season, hence why the leaks were true. Am I correct?
They filmed two endings. Normally, they had filmed an ending for all the girls.

Maledict

The one that got the highest score/challenges won each season. The finale is just an event to legitimize that winner, it's always chosen from those parameters.

That doesn't set that decision as a rule though, and I think it's obvious that if you stick by that it means the finale is a huge waste of time. If you know the winner based on results, then basically Shea won before even the last proper elimination if you're going purely off number of wins.

I haven't seen seasons 2 or 8 yet, but from my perspective there's only been two seasons where it was absolutely stone cold obvious who was going to win - Rajah in season 3 and Bianca Del Rio in season 6, as they both walked all over the competition in their season without anyone else coming close. I could easily see (and indeed hoped for) Ginger Minge to win in 7, maybe Alaska in 5, and others.

I'm sure that Ru takes everything into account when deciding a winner, and makes that choice based on his experience and understanding. Sometimes he gets it wrong (Pearl making the final of S7 purely based on his boy looks), but generally he's spot on. I like the fact the winner isn't known beforehand and can't be calculated purely based off a mathematical equation beforehand. After all, no other reality tv show I know of in the Uk works like that - the aim is to survive to the final and then be the best there.

mantidor

They mixed it up this time, up until season 3 it was lipsyncs elimination after elimination, after it it was one simultaneous lipsync and coronation post show in a live reunion, then they mixed it up more by adding individual presentations of the finalists.

In any of those formats I don't see how Sasha wouldn't have won or be a strong contender, simultaneous lipsyncs/multiple crownings filmed/whatever does not suddenly erase that last performance(s) of her that stole the show, gimmicks or not, it's just impossible to sweep that kind of act under a rug.

That doesn't set that decision as a rule though, and I think it's obvious that if you stick by that it means the finale is a huge waste of time. If you know the winner based on results, then basically Shea won before even the last proper elimination if you're going purely off number of wins.

I haven't seen seasons 2 or 8 yet, but from my perspective there's only been two seasons where it was absolutely stone cold obvious who was going to win - Rajah in season 3 and Bianca Del Rio in season 6, as they both walked all over the competition in their season without anyone else coming close. I could easily see (and indeed hoped for) Ginger Minge to win in 7, maybe Alaska in 5, and others.
Ironically Raja had the same number of wins as Manila so that was ACTUALLY a close season.

There hasn't ever been a season where the winner didn't have the most number of wins until now.

Maledict

Ironically Raja had the same number of wins as Manila so that was ACTUALLY a close season.

There hasn't ever been a season where the winner didn't have the most number of wins until now.

But that shouldn't make it a hard and fast rule, for obvious reasons. The show isn't a league. No other reality show works like that. It removes any and all drama from the final or suspense, which really isn't what they are aiming for for the final episode.

Mind you, I'm from the UK so the entire thing is slightly different for me anyway, as over here drag culture is much more a comedy thing. Pageant queens are no where near as plentiful, and drag queens are expected to be fierce, bitchy, funny queens like Bianca, Ginger Minge, etc.

Shizuka

Season 1, Bebe had the most wins.
Season 2, Tyra had the most wins.
Season 3, it was a three-way tie, although Alexis had a few bottom two placements so it was between Raja and Manilla.
Season 4, Sharon had the most wins.
All-Stars, Chad had the most wins (against Raven).
Season 5, it was a three-way tie, but Roxxxy had no chance whatsoever.
Season 6, it was a tie between Adore and Bianca, although Bianca never landed in the bottom two.
Season 7, it was a tie between Violet and Ginger, but Violet never landed in the bottom two either.
Season 8, Bob had the most wins.
All-Stars 2, Alaska had the most wins.

From eight regular and two All-Stars seasons, the queen that had the most wins ended up taking the crown. It's a fact, even Alaska said so in interviews after she won All-Stars 2, that she was not worried that she'd win the season judging that she had the most wins and got to the finale.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Anyhow, while I agree the show tried to trill it down in viewers' heads, I think equating Sasha's "intellect" to "reading Wikipedia" or the like is truly reductionist. You can ignore her two bits about drag/gay history in the workroom, and yet still see her intelligence permeating her drag aesthetics (be it the attention to detail or purposefulness) and performances.

Now if you tried "pretentious" I'd say you'd have a case.

Shizuka

I have a feeling they're shooting AS3 this second semester. Valentina had a few gigs at Brazil in August, that all had to be rescheduled to "early 2018" by her own crew for "a very important reason".

Also:

UzbCFws.png

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Season 1, Bebe had the most wins.
Season 2, Tyra had the most wins.
Season 3, it was a three-way tie, although Alexis had a few bottom two placements so it was between Raja and Manilla.
Season 4, Sharon had the most wins.
All-Stars, Chad had the most wins (against Raven).
Season 5, it was a three-way tie, but Roxxxy had no chance whatsoever.
Season 6, it was a tie between Adore and Bianca, although Bianca never landed in the bottom two.
Season 7, it was a tie between Violet and Ginger, but Violet never landed in the bottom two either.
Season 8, Bob had the most wins.
All-Stars 2, Alaska had the most wins.

From eight regular and two All-Stars seasons, the queen that had the most wins ended up taking the crown. It's a fact, even Alaska said so in interviews after she won All-Stars 2, that she was not worried that she'd win the season judging that she had the most wins and got to the finale.
Had the top two been Shea and Sasha, and Sasha won then the "most wins = winner" theory would have been truly demolished. But there was no way for Shea to proceed after her battle with Sasha. And between Sasha and Peppermint, Sasha had the most wins, so the theory still stands.

The format/curveball decided the top two, then things went back to normal— two finale conclusions were shot, and the one with the most wins and more passionate fanbase won.

Shizuka

Had the top two been Shea and Sasha, and Sasha won then the "most wins = winner" would have been truly demolished. But there was no way for Shea to proceed after her battle with Sasha. And between Sasha and Peppermint, Sasha had the most wins, so theory is still somewhat true.

The format/curveball decided the top two, then things went back to normal— two finale conclusions were shot, and the one with the most wins and more passionate fanbase won.

Honestly, I was perfectly fine with Sasha winning the rainbow episode like I've said before, then we'd have a three-way tie between Sasha, Shea and Trinity. That way, I wouldn't feel as bad for Shea losing, but I don't get why she won that challenge to tie with Sharon and Alaska, just to lose the crown.

Edit: What the fuck? Is Shea really recording a song with Azealia?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Honestly, I was perfectly fine with Sasha winning the rainbow episode like I've said before, then we'd have a three-way tie between Sasha, Shea and Trinity. That way, I wouldn't feel as bad for Shea losing, but I don't get why she won that challenge to tie with Sharon and Alaska, just to lose the crown.

Edit: What the fuck? Is Shea really recording a song with Azealia?

Coming for the problematic hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom