• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuPaul's Drag Race Season 9 |OT| The Largest Cross-Dressing Convention of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shizuka

Her replies are even worse. I hope she likes rubbing shoulders with Azealia, because she lost a lot of good will today.

royalan

That last Rucap video wasn't kidding. I may have to unfollow Nina if she doesn't stop posting live videos every five fucking minutes.

Sheas responses are terrible, but, really, when did well known white queen Trixie Mattel receive this type of backlash for using Jeffree Star products, for instance?

Ratrat

Sheas responses are terrible, but, really, when did well known white queen Trixie Mattel receive this type of backlash for using Jeffree Star products, for instance?
There do tend to be double standards here. But Jeffree Star did apologize for his past.

Unless it's involved a public apology, being constantly outspoken on social media in defense of LGBTQ people and donating millions of dollars to LGBTQ charities, she can fuck off forever.
I dont think she mas millions to spare.

There do tend to be double standards here. But Jeffree Star did apologize for his past.
Who/ what is Jeffree Star? Never heard of, but if it's as fucked up as Banks, happy to drag him/her/whatever as well

I dont think she mas millions to spare.

Didn't you hear? She owns everything.

Anyway, it's sad as hell that Shea is going down this path. She deserved to win the season and had everyone on her side. Now she's on the fast track to being a pariah. And she deserves it.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Who/ what is Jeffree Star? Never heard of, but if it's as fucked up as Banks, happy to drag him/her/whatever as well
He was a myspace artist that told a black girl that pouring acid on her face would help her lighten the skin. He has said different racist and rude things against women of color. Most stuff said over 10 years ago and made a public apology video recently despite still saying problematic stuff on his snapchat and twitter which he thens proceeds to delete. He has a makeup brand now and I guess he may be saving face but we shall see how he behaves

I definitely think there is a shitty double standard with how black queens are treated by parts of the Drag Race fandom. It's gross to me that so many queens work with and promote a horrible person like Jeffree Star but no one calls them out on it. However, I do think there's a difference between liking and using his makeup (which tons of queens do) and being paid to appear in his ads and videos (like Adore and Laganja). In the same way, lip syncing to an Azealia track would be one thing but working with her and having her on your album is a different level of co-signing her bullshit. I guess just wish all these queens would get it together and not be so thirsty for fame because it leads to questionable decisions.

mantidor

And I call bullshit, when I messy queen is messy she is deservedly dragged, regardless. It's only when said messy queen is black that some call the race card. Get over it, just accept your fave is a mess and move on.

https://twitter.com/SheaCoulee/status/883370675502800896

@SheaCoulee
Whatever problems you have with Azealia Banks are not my problems, they're YOUR problems

Mc1Cqe8.jpg

Seems like Shea got starstruck and forgot about everything else when someone who was slightly famous gave her attention. Yikes.

I was rooting for Shea to win too.

Sharon was another of my favorite that fell out of favor with me after her post-show diva behaviors.

Holmes

She has, honestly? And so has Adore and Laganja. But tbh people can be upset over something for so long and then it passes.

royalan

Ummm, I don't like that Shea is working with Azealia either (mostly because I think it's a bad career move. Nobody likes Aealia anymore, and why attach your star to a turd...) but I'm going to call bullshit on this outrage.

Let's not forget that one of the most popular and booked Queens to come out of Drag Race did so by jacking black mannerisms and doing a bad job of it.

YES GAWWWD

MAWMAAAA

OKUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

*obnoxious tongue pop*

Laganja is a walking minstrel act, but she's one of Ru's most booked queens.

Look, I hate Azealia too, but one thing I will say in her defense is that she talks like a black girl from the hood talks. At least the hood I grew up in. It's not appropriate, she DESERVES to be dragged, but shit, not here for writing off Shea over a collab that hasn't even happened yet.

Shea knows full well what she is getting into and is righteously defending Azalea. I'm not gonna say that black queens don't get the short end of the stick in general (because they do) but that is indefensible. We can call out a queen without resorting to whataboutism.

And I find Laganja is annoying as fuck, for reference.

He was a myspace artist that told a black girl that pouring acid on her face would help her lighten the skin. He has said different racist and rude things against women of color. Most stuff said over 10 years ago and made a public apology video recently despite still saying problematic stuff on his snapchat and twitter which he thens proceeds to delete. He has a makeup brand now and I guess he may be saving face but we shall see how he behaves
Fuck him whew!

Monocle

I'm kinda tired of people expecting drag queens to be the sweethearts of America tbh.
I think it's more that fans are disappointed when artists they admire turn out to be jerks, or to keep company with jerks. Which is not unreasonable.

Expecting people not to support, defend, or excuse hate is not a very high standard. You don't have to be a sweetheart of America or whatever the fuck to be a decent person. And if you're a prominent member of a marginalized community, then with that popularity comes certain expectations that you'll stand for something positive, even if it's in the modest sense of being nice to your online fans. And not hanging out with raging assholes.

Shizuka

Her replies are worse than the collab. We've known about the collab for a few weeks now, but those replies? Have you guys read them? Dismissing your LGBT audience so easily because of a homophobe and transphobe, in the way that she's done on Twitter? She could've dealt with the collab in a more graceful way, and not "fuck your issues, I'm singing with motherfucking Azealia Banks".

royalan

Really? Mind you I'm not black so I'm not the one experiencing the aggression here, but is appropriation really on the same level as full on hateful slurs?

For real, it depends on who you talk to. Let's stop looking to these queens to be role models and carry the weight of the gays on their shoulders. That's what's killing drag and making it so suburb now.

Look, I don't like the F word, and I like Azealia Banks even less. but I would be painting a false picture if I said I couldn't go back to my stomping ground of South Central, LA; or go to Harlem/Brooklyn/etc, NY; or South Side, Chicago; or West Philly, and hear people throwing around that word in the exact context in which Azealia used it, including the gays.

Azealia feels that her connection to the queer community gives her the right to use that word. Which, to be fair, is very similar to some queer folk thinking that our affinity towards women allows us to use slurs typically used to demean them.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
For real, it depends on who you talk to. Let's stop looking to these queens to be role models and carry the weight of the gays on their shoulders. That's what's killing drag and making it so suburb now.

Look, I don't like the F word, and I like Azealia Banks even less. but I would be painting a false picture if I said I couldn't go back to my stomping ground of South Central, LA; or go to Harlem/Brooklyn/etc, NY; or South Side, Chicago; or West Philly, and hear people throwing around that word in the exact context in which Azealia used it, including the gays.

Azealia feels that her connection to the queer community gives her the right to use that word. Which, to be fair, is very similar to some queer folk thinking that our affinity towards women allows us to use slurs typically used to demean them.
I'm still struggling with her tweets, but bless you sis and your POV.

I will always push back on any internet black/white approach to political correctness.

You shouldn't look to drag Queens to be role models...except when that's the persona and platform that they cultivate for themselves to be more popular. Yeah, when you go on drag race and preach about being an example for young queens, people are gonna give you some side eye when you collaborate with questionable people. But hey, they can just say that queens gotta make money. Fine. But to go out and dismiss it as "Your problem, not my problem. It only matters when it affects me." Yeah they deserve to be called out on it.

Her "affinity" with the queer community gives her a right to post this?

azealia-5.jpg

You shouldn't look to drag Queens to be role models...except when that's the persona and platform that they cultivate for themselves to be more popular. Yeah, when you go on drag race and preach about being an example for young queens, people are gonna give you some side eye when you collaborate with questionable people. But hey, they can just say that queens gotta make money. Fine. But to go out and dismiss it as "Your problem, not my problem. It only matters when it affects me." Yeah they deserve to be called out on it.

That's what it comes down to. The upsetting thing about Shea is that it seems so out of character. I don't know her personally but we have a lot of mutual friends being from Chicago, and I've never heard anything bad about her. She is a geuine and caring person. It isn't even about holding her to some impossible standard, it's that she has never come across this way before. Maybe she's struggling dealing with newfound fame and all the attention on her, on top of whatever personal stuff she has going on. It's not an excuse, but she is human and fallible. I hope things work out for her.

royalan

Her "affinity" with the queer community gives her a right to post this?

azealia-5.jpg
Well, she's openly queer, sooo....

That's what it comes down to. The upsetting thing about Shea is that it seems so out of character. I don't know her personally but we have a lot of mutual friends being from Chicago, and I've never heard anything bad about her. She is a geuine and caring person. It isn't even about holding her to some impossible standard, it's that she has never come across this way before. Maybe she's struggling dealing with newfound fame and all the attention on her, on top of whatever personal stuff she has going on. It's not an excuse, but she is human and fallible. I hope things work out for her.

What I'm about to say isn't so much a defense of Shea, because I've been saying it for several seasons now: blame the editing.

For a while now Ru's been obsessed with scrubbing the show of any significant conflict between the girls because she personally finds it distasteful, which has made the last THREE seasons snore-fests in comparison to the early seasons. I think we saw that this year with the reunion, when we learned that there was actually a LOT of tension in that workroom that we just didn't see. Apparently, Valentina was the Willam of the season and only Farrah and Nina liked her, Alexis was even more obnoxious than what we saw, Peppermint was something other than sugary sweet all the time, and Shea had a lot of opinions that she vocalized.

Would I believe that the Shea we saw during the show would work with Azealia? I'm with you, I wouldn't.

Would I believe the Shea we saw at the reunion would work with Azealia? Yep.

kirblar

Shaming gay men for hooking up? Fuck that shit. Take that ass-backwards heteronormativity and shove it. We should not be accepting that shit from a "queer person" any more than we'd accept it from a anti-gay preacher.

royalan

Shaming gay men for hooking up? Fuck that shit. Take that ass-backwards heteronormativity and shove it. We should not be accepting that shit from a "queer person" any more than we'd accept it from a anti-gay preacher.

No offense, but that you would describe it this way tells me you don't know much about Azealia Banks (who is a known freak), or the culture she's in that would make her respond in that way.

It's a stupid comeback, and it's wrong for plenty of reasons, but not because she's "shaming" him. I mean, Azealia raps about her own hook-ups. I mean, fuck, she raps about using her black licorice pussy to swindle rich white men.

I mean, I hate to say it, but you guys just don't get it. The black queer community has some pretty significant differences in terms of what's acceptable and what isn't. I don't AGREE with all of it, but I'm not going to sit here and play dumb to the context.

If you guys want to drag Azealia for something, drag her for the racism she threw at Zayn Malik for no fucking reason. She's definitely trash for that.

He was a myspace artist that told a black girl that pouring acid on her face would help her lighten the skin.

Eeh.
Let's get somethin' straight folks.
He didn't say this seriously, like this wasn't something Jeffree did IRL to some random poor defenseless little black lady, it was part of a really stupid and poorly thought out online skit that he performed with a random black friend of his (who I believe is a drag queen) years and YEARS ago.
That's not to say Jeffree Star hasn't done and said troublesome things (his online tiffs with female beauty gurus do get quite ugly) that deserve criticism- because it certainly does-, but he's not some sort of fuckin' violent cartoonish bigot like some people try to make him out to be.
The guy's just a confrontational diva who tends to let lots of stuff get under his skin, and says dumb shit to people he's mad at.

I honestly feel like the RPDR fanbase needs to chill the fuck out when it comes to who the queens choose to be friends with.
It's fine to levy some criticism (I'm not too fond of the things that Azealia Banks has said myself), but getting so worked up and passionate about something that doesn't directly affect you and you're probably gonna forget about in a month ain't valuable or productive.

Well, she's openly queer, sooo....

What I'm about to say isn't so much a defense of Shea, because I've been saying it for several seasons now: blame the editing.

For a while now Ru's been obsessed with scrubbing the show of any significant conflict between the girls because she personally finds it distasteful, which has made the last THREE seasons snore-fests in comparison to the early seasons. I think we saw that this year with the reunion, when we learned that there was actually a LOT of tension in that workroom that we just didn't see. Apparently, Valentina was the Willam of the season and only Farrah and Nina liked her, Alexis was even more obnoxious than what we saw, Peppermint was something other than sugary sweet all the time, and Shea had a lot of opinions that she vocalized.

Would I believe that the Shea we saw during the show would work with Azealia? I'm with you, I wouldn't.

Would I believe the Shea we saw at the reunion would work with Azealia? Yep.

Yeah. I don't have any expectations for drag to saccharine or safe. My favorite drag is busted, weird and transgressive queens. The ideological purity some fans expect from drag queens is stupid and makes for a more boring show and lamer drag queens.

My issue is that I know Shea is great at what she does and respected by a lot of people in Chicago, regardless of her persona on or off the show. I have seen all of these recent Chicago girls come up and Shea is easily the most talented and deserving of her top spot. It just sucks that this controversy and her interactions with people regarding it are going to undermine that, because there's more to her than that.

royalan

sooo.... it's fine for her to make jokes about queer people being murdered and disposed of for seeking out sex and affection?

Sorry, but your defense of her is fucking bullshit and I'm not here for it.

Uhh, No? But really who would it be OK to make this joke about? On those line, It's an offensive thing to say about someone regardless of their sexuality.

And that's part of my point. I'm not defending the joke. It was a crass and inappropriate response. But it does not make her homophobic. Words have meaning and power, and we have to watch how we use them. Especially if we're going to get on a high horse and judge other people for how they use them.

JCX

sooo.... it's fine for her to make jokes about queer people being murdered and disposed of for seeking out sex and affection?

Sorry, but your defense of her is fucking bullshit and I'm not here for it.

There are people who actually seek affection on Grindr? Lol where?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom