• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuPaul's Drag Race Season 9 |OT| The Largest Cross-Dressing Convention of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantidor

Drag is about transgression, there are certain race taboos that I have a hard time understanding as a foreigner (the n word, blackface), and everything in US culture is about these taboos, now the f word is taboo as well.

So drag can tackle this, but you have to be smart about it, I don't think anyone here involved in all this drama is being smart.

LMAO, I can't believe any of you are genuinely trying to pretend that it's okay for Azealia to call gay men faggots.

She's not doing anything transgressive or progressive with it, she's not doing anything to "reclaim" it or make it empowering - she is literally using it to shame and demean gay men the exact same way middle American white homophobes do. End of.

royalan

LMAO, I can't believe any of you are genuinely trying to pretend that it's okay for Azealia to call gay men faggots.

She's not doing anything transgressive or progressive with it, she's not doing anything to "reclaim" it or make it empowering - she is literally using it to shame and demean gay men the exact same way middle American white homophobes do. End of.

Did literally one single person in this thread claim that she was?

Has anybody said it's ok?

End of.

There are people who actually seek affection on Grindr? Lol where?

Sex is affection. Most people engaging in compulsive Grindr'ing are probably looking for affection.

And I sincerely disagree with royalan's stratospheric reachs to justify Azealia's use of homophobic discourse. I don't care if she is queer. Internalizing and then using homophobic discourses are an important part of homophobia / misogyny and its cultural persistence. So she shouldn't get a pass.

Isotropy

Holy fuck, we have a defence force for Azealia Bank's homophobic and transphobic fuckery.

She has no more right to use the f-word than Trinity Taylor would have to use the n-word.

royalan

You did literally say "in her defense". Like. Literally. ��

Read.

I'm not defending Azealia from being a garbage person. She's done plenty of things to make the case for being trash. Anybody who's followed my posts over the years KNOWS how I feel about Banks. She's filth. Can't stand her.

But a queer person using homophobic slurs against another queer person is NOT homophobic. It's trashy, it's inappropriate, it's gross, whatever. But it doesn't not make Azealia Banks a homophobe, and it does not make Shea Coulee homophobe-adjacent or any of the other ridiculous nonsense I saw in the last few pages if she makes the choice to work with her.

Isotropy

Read.

I'm not defending Azealia from being a garbage person. She's done plenty of things to make the case for being trash. Anybody who's followed my posts over the years KNOWS how I feel about Banks. She's filth. Can't stand her.

But a queer person using homophobic slurs against another queer person is NOT homophobic. It's trashy, it's inappropriate, it's gross, whatever. But it doesn't not make Azealia Banks a homophobe, and it does not make Shea Coulee homophobe-adjacent or any of the other ridiculous nonsense I saw in the last few pages if she makes the choice to work with her.

The fuck?

Azealia Banks is not a gay or bisexual man - the f-word is not hers to use, and her use of it is absolutely homophobic.

kirblar

Read.

A "Queer person" is not a gay man.

"Faggot" is not a "Queer" slur. It is a gay one.

This attempt to homogenize gay/lesbian/trans/etc identities is absolutely insane.

royalan

A "Queer person" is not a gay man.

"Faggot" is not a "Queer" slur. It is a gay one.

This attempt to homogenize gay/lesbian/trans/etc identities is absolutely insane.

And THAT would be a debate to have.

But I don't I don't think Azealia Banks bothers with that distinction. And I know plenty of gays who don't. Like I said earlier, I can go back to where I grew up and hear just about everyone using that word. This is something that I think crosses the line into a cultural distinction in how different queer communities communicate.

Knowing her career, who she surrounds herself with (I mean, she came into contact with Shea somehow), and the fact that she's bisexual and pretty open about it, and the culture she comes from, I find it hard to call her homophobic.

But 'll leave it here. I'll just be repeating myself from this point.

kirblar

And THAT would be a debate to have.

But I don't I don't think Azealia Banks bothers with that distinction. And I know plenty of gays who don't. Like I said earlier, I can go back to where I grew up and hear just about everyone using that word. This is something that I think crosses the line into a cultural distinction in how different queer communities communicate.

Knowing her career, who she surrounds herself with (I mean, she came into contact with Shea somehow), and the fact that she's bisexual and pretty open about it, and the culture she comes from, I find it hard to call her homophobic.

But 'll leave it here. I'll just be repeating myself from this point.
Back where I grew up "fag" got used as a slur too. Doesn't make it defensible!

Read.

Azalea is as queer as Laganja is black.

Mythos

Since when is A.B. bisexual? Is this the same kind ob bisexual, as with all the other singers trying to get some attention? Sure, and i am Jesus!

I mean no one is arguing that Azealia isn't crass, rude, flippant, and probably unstable. I think people are applying different context to the word "homophobe". Azealia uses all kinds of homophobic language but she also uses all kinds of racist, transphobic, mysogynist language too. Kind of hard to unravel someone's pure intentions when all they do is talk shit for the sake of talking shit. To me she just seems like someone who doesn't have etiquette, and has no relationship to the subtext (i.e. hurtfulness) of foul language. She literally says a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g.

I don't understand how someone can be a homophobe but also welcome an open collaboration with a drag queen, let alone spend years engrossed in gay and queer communities, and let alone be bisexual. Also funny that the only person in this story who has actually gotten to know Azealia Banks beyond Twitter is probably Shea Coulee, and she's out here pretty much defending Azealia's character. Maybe it's worth giving the drag queen here the benefit of the doubt since I sincerely doubt that Shea would be willing to collaborate with someone who is ACTUALLY hateful toward her being a gay boy/drag queen.

Point is, it's a little too easy to gauge the "good-ness" of someone based on their Twitterspeak, but in the case of whether a collaboration between a drag queen and an alleged homophobe is problematic toward gay people, maybe look to the drag queen in the room.

I mean no one is arguing that Azealia isn't crass, rude, flippant, and probably unstable. I think people are applying different context to the word "homophobe". Azealia uses all kinds of homophobic language but she also uses all kinds of racist, transphobic, mysogynist language too. Kind of hard to unravel someone's pure intentions when all they do is talk shit for the sake of talking shit. To me she just seems like someone who doesn't have etiquette, and has no relationship to the subtext (i.e. hurtfulness) of foul language. She literally says a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g.

I don't understand how someone can be a homophobe but also welcome an open collaboration with a drag queen, let alone spend years engrossed in gay and queer communities, and let alone be bisexual. Also funny that the only person in this story who has actually gotten to know Azealia Banks beyond Twitter is probably Shea Coulee, and she's out here pretty much defending Azealia's character. Maybe it's worth giving the drag queen here the benefit of the doubt since I sincerely doubt that Shea would be willing to collaborate to someone who is ACTUALLY hateful toward her being a gay boy/drag queen.

Point is, it's a little too easy to gauge the "good-ness" of someone based on their Twitterspeak, but in the case of whether a collaboration between a drag queen and an alleged homophobe is problematic toward gay people, maybe look to the drag queen in the room.
Those klansmen aren't racists, they're just assholes in general. It's unfair to label them that way just because they use racist speech.

Shizuka

Is there any doubt at this point that All-Stars 3 is being filmed next month? We've been getting plenty of confirmations from several sources.

Is there any doubt at this point that All-Stars 3 is being filmed next month? We've been getting plenty of confirmations from several sources.
Makes sense. Their latest tour with Murray and Peter (which I'm attending) was announced with Trixie hosting at multiple dates but she's no longer in the advertising materials.
Still seems kinda early but I'll take it.

Majora

The rumored line-up if anyone is interested (some of these are practically confirmed at this point due to gaps in their schedules/sudden cancellations which coincide with the filming schedule, while others are a bit more shaky)

Trixie
Trinity K Bonet
Pearl
Kennedy Davenport
Shangela
Ongina
Morgan McMichaels
Chi Chi Devayne
Thorgy
Ben De la Creme
Valentina
Milk
Manila Luzon

Shizuka

The rumored line-up if anyone is interested (some of these are practically confirmed at this point due to gaps in their schedules/sudden cancellations which coincide with the filming schedule, while others are a bit more shaky)

Trixie
Trinity K Bonet
Pearl
Kennedy Davenport
Shangela
Ongina
Morgan McMichaels
Chi Chi Devayne
Thorgy
Ben De la Creme
Valentina
Milk
Manila Luzon

Where did you get that line-up? That's the first I'm seeing a few queens on the AS3 rumored list.

Valentina is super confirmed though, like I said before with her gigs at Brazil rescheduled last minute.

Also, I need Aquaria, Evah Destruction and Soju on S10.

Ratrat

Trixie
Trinity K Bonet
Pearl
Kennedy Davenport
Shangela
Ongina
Morgan McMichaels
Chi Chi Devayne
Thorgy
Ben De la Creme
Valentina
Milk
Manila Luzon
Take out Milk, Pearl and Morgan and its solid.

I thought Dela said she wouldnt do it?

Trixie or Shangela will win AS3.

Read.

...lol, did you really just write all that out and press post?

mantidor

Trixie
Trinity K Bonet
Pearl
Kennedy Davenport
Shangela
Ongina
Morgan McMichaels
Chi Chi Devayne
Thorgy
Ben De la Creme
Valentina
Milk
Manila Luzon

Manila again? I don't see it. And Ben said AS was awful why would she do it? And I just wish Acid Betty was there, we were robbed of great looks by her early elimination.

Pearl? Shangela?

No please.

I was a big
Pearl
fan during S7 but that's cus I liked her looks, which she has basically thrown out the window since.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches

Trixie
Trinity K Bonet
Pearl
Kennedy Davenport
Shangela
Ongina
Morgan McMichaels
Chi Chi Devayne
Thorgy
Ben De la Creme
Valentina
Milk
Manila Luzon
Too many
season 7 queens
for my taste. They should take out
Pearl tbh
, and I dont care at all about
Ongina
and Morgan McMichaels
so they can go.

Queens I'd love to see come back:
Dida Ritz
April Carrion
Giq Gunn
Joslyn Fox
Laganja "I feel very attacked" Estranja
Problematic Shea Couleé

Shizuka

I read that a spot was offered to
Shea Coulee
, but since she's got lots and lots of gigs coming out of Season 9, she'll probably wait for the next All-Stars season.

The strangest part is that all leaks point that
Trinity Taylor
wasn't offered a spot.

kirblar

I read that a spot was offered to
Shea Coulee
, but since she's got lots and lots of gigs coming out of Season 9, she'll probably wait for the next All-Stars season.

The strangest part is that all leaks point that
Trinity Taylor
wasn't offered a spot.
I think
TT
would be kind of redundant if the list is in the ballpark of who's on.

Rayis

Trixie
Trinity K Bonet
Pearl
Kennedy Davenport
Shangela
Ongina
Morgan McMichaels
Chi Chi Devayne
Thorgy
Ben De la Creme
Valentina
Milk
Manila Luzon
I really like this eclectic mix of queens, though some of those choices are very questionable.

Wilsongt

Too many
season 7 queens
for my taste. They should take out
Pearl tbh
, and I dont care at all about
Ongina
and Morgan McMichaels
so they can go.

Queens I'd love to see come back:
Dida Ritz
April Carrion
Giq Gunn
Joslyn Fox
Laganja "I feel very attacked" Estranja
Problematic Shea Couleé

How many years has it been since Season 4 and Dida's wigs are still traveling the Saharah? No.

Ginger Minj was here in LA last night. She didn't participate on the show but she was great as a guest. I'm actually coming around to her.

Morgan McMicheals was a great host too so I'm actually curious how she does in All Stars 3 if the rumours are true.

kirblar

Ginger's fantastic at the host role- one issue w/ Drag Race is that certain skillsets don't come through on the show, and that's one of em.

royalan

...lol, did you really just write all that out and press post?

Yes.

And you really just bothered to respond to it two whole and entire days later.

I'm not returning to this subject. The Good Sis Soulscribe tried, but this is too nuanced a discussion to have here. The back-to-forth is pointless and nobody will change their minds.

-------------

As for those spoilers, the only one I have a problem with is
Pearl. Please, no more fucking Pearl.

_Isaac

Yeah, I guess.

Fucking amazing how Farrah just destroyed her right at the end. "Fan favourite award". Like holy shit. lol

I mean it's kinda true. I always thought Miss Congeniality was supposed to be voted by the contestants. How would the viewers know if someone was congenial?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom