• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Anyone with an AT&T S4 get an update from them today? I didn't install it because I'm not sure if it'd interfere with me hopefully installing stock Android when the Google Play version comes out.

Are you in Germany?

There is an update thats floating around that looks like it's only for Germany right now.

Pretty huge update.

-New Camera firmware with HDR video
-Smearing issue has been fixed (Purple effect while scrolling)
-Smart Pause Toggle
-Move Apps to SD Card
-Semi-transparent status bar
-New Icons in Settings
-Secure boot status in “About Phone”
-Increased display legibility

Link

Menelaus

Banned
Installed successfully, but then tried to apply and get "This font is not available" even though it appears in my fonts list. What?!

Once you apply in iFont, rebooting should make it take effect! I actually had to change my font from the default font to Samsung Sans first, then do the whole apply in iFont business.

sun-drop

got my sena ultra slim pouch the other day ... and ...please to say it's perfect.

the s2 pouch was tight ....needed working in.

the s3 ultra slim, at launch was plain broken, didn't fit the phone, the replacement they sent was still less than ideal

but looks like they learned a few things and the s4 pouch is great out of the gate, no "work in" period required at all ...no phone powering off ...just a great fit.

Nitsuj23

Are you in Germany?

There is an update thats floating around that looks like it's only for Germany right now.

Pretty huge update.

-Smart Pause Toggle
-Move Apps to SD Card
-New Icons in Settings

Link

Interesting. It's odd because I'm in the US. Seems like a good update, though. Any idea if I'd still be able to install the Nexus version when that comes out if I do this update?

Screens test: HTC One vs. Samsung Galaxy S4

The two hottest flagship Android smartphones right now, the HTC One and the Samsung Galaxy S4, both earned CNET's Editors' Choice Awards for their stellar designs, massive feature sets, and overall appeal.

So which one has the better screen?

In the tradition of our original screens tests last year, we set out to answer that very question. We used a combination of objective measurements courtesy of the same expensive test gear we use to evaluate and calibrate HDTVs, and subjective observations courtesy of our priceless, expert eyes.

SPOILER ALERT:
"the Samsung Galaxy S4 has the better screen"

Kambing

What are people averaging for battery life here?

I love my S4 but shit, the battery on this FUCKING sucks man. I unplugged my phone from the charger at 9:30 AM 100% battery life this morning, and now at 3:46PM, its all the way down to 23%. I only browsed maybe a total of 1.5 hours today. GPS, Bluetooth and Wifi is off, along with air gesture, motion and palm motion. Screen is set to auto brightness and i have power save mode on, mainly to disable the haptic feedback. It feels like regardless of what i do, the battery seems to lose about 1% every 4 minutes.

Do i have a dud or this normal?

I'll just leave this gimmicky feature here.

My nephew.

dxG7lXp.jpg

Chopper

Once you apply in iFont, rebooting should make it take effect! I actually had to change my font from the default font to Samsung Sans first, then do the whole apply in iFont business.
I eventually got it working with iFont. Thanks. I wasn't using it before I read your post. It was a bit fiddly, but after doing what you said, it worked. Why would it appear in the FlipFonts list if it won't work? The OCD inside me doesn't like that.

It is certainly a superior font though. I will definitely be keeping it. Looks smart as fuck. Although the "1" on the Chrome tab icon sits a little bit igh for my liking. Literally my only complaint about it.

I love my S4 but shit, the battery on this FUCKING sucks man. I unplugged my phone from the charger at 9:30 AM 100% battery life this morning, and now at 3:46PM, its all the way down to 23%. I only browsed maybe a total of 1.5 hours today. GPS, Bluetooth and Wifi is off, along with air gesture, motion and palm motion. Screen is set to auto brightness and i have power save mode on, mainly to disable the haptic feedback. It feels like regardless of what i do, the battery seems to lose about 1% every 4 minutes.

that doesn't seem normal...maybe wakelock issues.

Download GSam battery monitor...see what app is consuming most energy.

are you using Chrome browser?

red13th

I got mine a couple weeks ago, it's my first smartphone and I'm loving everything about it. Best purchase I've made lately.

Kambing

that doesn't seem normal...maybe wakelock issues.

Download GSam battery monitor...see what app is consuming most energy.

are you using Chrome browser?

Will definitely be downloading GSam battery and looking unto wakelock. Yes Chrome is what i am using on the phone.

reKon

Banned
Are you in Germany?

Pretty huge update.

-Smart Pause Toggle
-Move Apps to SD Card
-New Icons in Settings

Link

Too late for me with the move apps to sd. Tsk Tsk Samsung

Menelaus

Banned

I took mine off the charger at 7am and have 32% left with just over 2 hours screen on time. Something is definitely hogging your battery. I have Bluetooth and WiFi on all day.

Husker86

Just got one from AT&T earlier today. Was bouncing between the HTC One and this, and while I loved that aluminum build of the One, it being just slightly (physically) bigger than the S4 while the S4 had a bigger screen just made me have to go Samsung. Sooo much bezel on the One..

Anyway, I'm liking it more than I thought. Have Apex launcher on it and besides the clusterfuck of TouchWiz settings arrangement, I'm fine with it how it is. Rooted it only to get the built in tethering working, hopefully I won't fall into the custom ROM trap again.

Came from a Nexus 4, I really had no business upgrading, but I wanted LTE back in my life so...yeah.

You know what is stupid about this phone . . . the volume is on the exact opposite side of the power button such that if you want to adjust the volume you often turn on or off the phone because you naturally old the other side of the phone when pressing the button.

What a silly annoying aspect.

Dakota47

You know what is stupid about this phone . . . the volume is on the exact opposite side of the power button such that if you want to adjust the volume you often turn on or off the phone because you naturally old the other side of the phone when pressing the button.

Depends on your muscle memory. I had a Google Nexus S before the S4 which has the exact same button set-up.

strange. that has never been a problem for me.

Samsung GALAXY S4 Zoom

4.3 inch qHD sAMOLED (960x540) screen
1.5GHz Dual-Core Processor
*The selection of AP will be differed by markets
Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean)
Rear: 16 Mega pixel with x10 Optical Zoom and enhanced SMART Modes, OIS 24-240mm, F3.1-F6.3
Front: 1.9 Mega pixel camera
Continuous Shot: 4fps MAX with AF
Format: JPEG, PNG, GIF, WBMP, BMP, AGIF
Xenon Flash,
Recording & Playback: Full HD (1920x1080 30p)
8GB Internal memory (User memory approximately 5GB) + microSD slot (up to 64GB)
1.5GB RAM
*User memory space may be less than the total memory space due to system files. User memory may differ by region, carrier, and supporting language, and may change after software upgrade.
Dimension
125.5 x 63.5 x 15.4 mm, 208g (with standard battery)
Battery
2,330mAh

http://www.samsungmobilepress.com/2...0x-optical-zoom,-for-perfect-picture-taking-1

So I am considering getting this phone, I have an upgrade that just went into effect today. I currently have a DROID RAZR and I like it, liked my RAZR MAXX more but it got stolen and I got this as a replacement. I don't feel like this phone is much of an upgrade from any JB 4G DROID, but it would be nice to have a bigger, 1080p screen, twice the possible memory (by the way the S3 also supports 64GB micro SD cards I believe), infrared remote, and bragging rights over my friends who have the S3 and Note 2.

I do personally prefer Motorola handsets, however the RAZR HD seems a bit dated at this point, and though the blue one for $100 is attractive, I can get the S4 for $160 from NewEgg, which seems like more of an upgrade for a slightly higher price. If the RAZR HD MAXX was $100 and blue I would probably get that.

Anyway I would be using the upgrade from my home phone connect, I am guessing I should expect some crazy pro-rate charges, even though I never plan on activating this phone on the line I am using to upgrade... I am still on my employee plan. :p

Should I do it or just wait and keep my RAZR?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
So I just purchased an s4 yesterday and I already have dust particles stuck all over the insides of the bezel. Great design.

Top Bottom