• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Dash27

Smartphone GAF i need your help.

Friend currently has an S II that is acting up. Not on warranty, has a plan with T-Mobile not due for an upgrade til May. 2 questions:

1. S III or S IV is the best value for the money?
2. What should I be paying for an S III or IV? Best to go through t-mobile or get it on Amazon, EBay... ?

Finally bought my S4 on craigslist! Now I just have to wait for the sim card to come tomorrow from T-Mobile and I'll finally be off of shitty Sprint, who I've been stuck with for over 7 years! Also went ahead and ordered the Samsung case from Amazon and it will also get here tomorrow. I've been messing around with the phone on wifi and I'm just shocked the amount of bloat this thing comes with out of the box. Is everyone here rooted on custom roms or running stock? If running a custom rom, which? My main thing I want is debloated and the ability to use wifi tethering. Also has anyone used this phone on Metropcs yet? It's supposed to use T-Mobile's network now and was just wondering how it acted on Metro.

RangersFan

why does the stock android google play edition only work with t-mobile and at&t? i would have jumped all over it if it worked with verizon. i shelled out for the full retail to save my unlimited data plan, I would have much rather have spent it on a stock version free of bloatware.

why does the stock android google play edition only work with t-mobile and at&t? i would have jumped all over it if it worked with verizon. i shelled out for the full retail to save my unlimited data plan, I would have much rather have spent it on a stock version free of bloatware.
Because CDMA

You can always flash a ROM

Hooked up on T-Mobile now! Love it. What rom is everyone using? Anyone using an international version rom on their T-Mobile version? If so do you still get LTE?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I just upgraded to an S4 after using a iPhone 4 for two years. I have a couple of questions.

1.) Anyway to delete those dumb applications in my app screen? I don't use them and they just take up space and memory.

2.) What internet browser is the best for the S4?

3.) Any apps or widgets or whatnot that yall recommend me to use?

4.) I hate typing on this stupid thing. The keys are two small and I liked typing on the iPhone4 much better. Anyway to alleviate this pain?

5.) Any twitter apps yall recommend?

6.) Anything else yall want to tell me?

Please and thank you for helping out an excited but somewhat stupidly eager soul.

N.B. Ignore the stupid avatar. I lost an avatar bet.

zedge

I just upgraded to an S4 after using a iPhone 4 for two years. I have a couple of questions.

1.) Anyway to delete those dumb applications in my app screen? I don't use them and they just take up space and memory.

-press 'menu' then 'edit', any app that can be uninstalled will have a minus sign on it. Many preinstalled apps cannot be however, you would need to root to do that.

-Samsung phones still have the stock Android browser which is really good. I use chrome as it syncs bookmarks with my desktop. Dolphin is popular too.

-Dont use many widgets, except calendar and google now. For apps browse around at the top free, paid etc.

4.) I hate typing on this stupid thing. The keys are two small and I liked typing on the iPhone4 much better. Anyway to alleviate this pain?

-Download the stock google keyboard, its free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/....latin&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd

Swiftkey also seems to be popular, I dont like it. But there is a free trial,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...S50b3VjaHR5cGUuc3dpZnRrZXkucGhvbmUudHJpYWwiXQ..

- I like the official one.

-Have fun and don't be afraid to tinker around and learn the ins and outs of Android.

Please and thank you for helping out an excited but somewhat stupidly eager soul.

GLHF

kinggroin

Banned

Go to settings, then applications, then click the ones you want disabled and click the disable button. Not all will allow this. Other solution is to root the phone.

Stock is best, but if you want a little more in the way of features, go with dolphin

Do a Neogaf search for the android app thread. Google Music and the All Access Service is highly recommended. As for widgets; that depends on what you'd like to have instant access to. I personally have a Google calendar widget, Google music one for quick play controls, same for my pocketcasts podcast app. Google Keep for notes (it auto syncs across desktop andobile) Google Hangout for messaging and ES file Explorer for file management and network access.

Kii is by far the best android keyboard. Try it and mess with key sizing and spacing. If you like it, buy it.

Falcon Pro for Twitter

Download and enable the Google Plus instant upload feature but turn on "only on WiFi" and "only when charging".

Enjoy

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Thanks for the answers. Also, I was accustomed to just using iTunes to handle all my music and making playlists and dragging and etc. Seems like the S4 doesn't have that. Is there a good program that does that stuff for the S4? If not is there a way to create playlists from the computer and just drag and drop music? I tried fiddling with it after connecting it but I'm not sure how it works.

kinggroin

Banned
Thanks for the answers. Also, I was accustomed to just using iTunes to handle all my music and making playlists and dragging and etc. Seems like the S4 doesn't have that. Is there a good program that does that stuff for the S4? If not is there a way to create playlists from the computer and just drag and drop music? I tried fiddling with it after connecting it but I'm not sure how it works.

Google Music.

Google.com/music on the desktop
Download the app for your phone
Download the desktop manager and point it to your iTunes folder

You just drag and drop the music just like you do with files on a flash drive. If you really want to use iTunes, you can us the iSyncr or doubleTwist Android apps.

This is probably a stupid question, but I just started using Android phone after being a longtime iOS user.

Currently whenever I get a push notification my phone vibrates but I don't know why. To see why I have to manually scroll down to view the notifications page.

On iOS it would actually pop up a message on my home screen so that I could see what happened without doing anything at all. Is there any way to get this same behavior on Android?

Husker86

This is probably a stupid question, but I just started using Android phone after being a longtime iOS user.

Currently whenever I get a push notification my phone vibrates but I don't know why. To see why I have to manually scroll down to view the notifications page.

On iOS it would actually pop up a message on my home screen so that I could see what happened without doing anything at all. Is there any way to get this same behavior on Android?

You should be able to tell what the notification was based on the icon in the status bar without having to pull down the notification shade. Background notifications that don't interrupt your current activity was one of the positives of Android over iOS before iOS actually gave you a choice. You can get popup notifications for texts with third party text apps (GoSMS, Handcent, etc.), but I'm not sure what other notifications have alternate apps that provide popup info. Most apps should show a preview of the notification when in the status bar right when you get it though.

Yaska

So joined the IV owners today, just a quick question; how do I sync facebook pictures with the contacts list, the creepy default faces creep me out haha.

So i got 8 months left on my iPhone 4S but I'm bored of it. Think I've finally had enough of iPhones, one thing that annoys me is battery life, so a couple questions:

Is Samsung Galaxy S4 better in terms of battery life?

Also whats the best deal in the UK? I'm tempted to sell my iPhone (£185) and try and pick up a pay as you go....which would then still give me a chance to upgrade next year or even just move to someone else.

For some reason I find the keyboard difficult to type with. I've tried various keyboards, but my error rate is really high. I'm not sure what the deal is. I just switched from iPhone so that's my only basis for comparison. I almost feel like the issue is because the glass screen feels really soft, so when I touch the screen I don't actually FEEL like I've touched the screen. I don't know, maybe the issue is the keyboard layout too, like the buttons being too close together or something.

I thought it would be easier on this phone compared to iPhone because the screen is larger, but so far I'm just getting frustrated.

Also, I've been looking for a way to get notifications on my Lock Screen. I've found a few apps so far, but from what I can tell Lock Screen Widgets seem incompatible with any form of device security. So like you can only use Lock Screen Widgets if your phone has 0 lock screen security. If so this sucks, but figured I would ask here just in case anyone knows of an alternative.

Speaking of notifications, is there an app that makes the notifications bar at the top bigger? Normally when I get an incoming message or something it display a line of it across the status bar at the top. I'd like that bar to be a little bigger and show more text if possible, similar to how the iPhone one works.

I found the stock keyboard tough to type, I got SwiftKey and never looked back. I think its amazing.

I'm using NiLS for all my notifications. Its the most iPhone-like way of handling them. I'm not sure how it works with security though.

If you like NiLS, maybe something like Widget Locker will be able to allow you to use that with security.

I found the stock keyboard tough to type, I got SwiftKey and never looked back. I think its amazing.

I'm using NiLS for all my notifications. Its the most iPhone-like way of handling them. I'm not sure how it works with security though.

If you like NiLS, maybe something like Widget Locker will be able to allow you to use that with security.

Yea NiLS is the one I tried, but it doesn't seem to work with PIN security or any other type of security. I'll look at Widget Locker.

I'll take a look at SwiftKey, but the big problem I have with other keyboards is that I need Vietnamese IME, and it's hard to find a good one. The default one that comes with the stock keyboard, as well as most other ones I've found, have the stupidest possible non-standard IME imaginable so I have to resort to a specialized one which I also have trouble typing in. Anyway I'll try SwiftKey and see how it is.

Edit: Ok the Vietnamese IME for SwiftKey is actually decent, so I'll play around with the free trial for a while and see if my error rate decreases.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Edit: Ok the Vietnamese IME for SwiftKey is actually decent, so I'll play around with the free trial for a while and see if my error rate decreases.

Dont forget it can also customize by reading your email/facebook/messaging for common words and phrases.

Dont forget it can also customize by reading your email/facebook/messaging for common words and phrases.

i usually just disable autocorrect and spell checking anyway. It messes me up more than it helps. The problem I've been having with other keyboards is that too frequently I just press the wrong key accidentally.

For some reason I find the keyboard difficult to type with. I've tried various keyboards, but my error rate is really high. I'm not sure what the deal is. I just switched from iPhone so that's my only basis for comparison. I almost feel like the issue is because the glass screen feels really soft, so when I touch the screen I don't actually FEEL like I've touched the screen. I don't know, maybe the issue is the keyboard layout too, like the buttons being too close together or something.

I thought it would be easier on this phone compared to iPhone because the screen is larger, but so far I'm just getting frustrated.

Also, I've been looking for a way to get notifications on my Lock Screen. I've found a few apps so far, but from what I can tell Lock Screen Widgets seem incompatible with any form of device security. So like you can only use Lock Screen Widgets if your phone has 0 lock screen security. If so this sucks, but figured I would ask here just in case anyone knows of an alternative.

Speaking of notifications, is there an app that makes the notifications bar at the top bigger? Normally when I get an incoming message or something it display a line of it across the status bar at the top. I'd like that bar to be a little bigger and show more text if possible, similar to how the iPhone one works.

does the GS4 not have the option to show the default screen then ask for a pin after you perform an action? i know it's there in previous versions of TouchWiz... look for a checkbox on the settings screen after you set a pin lock.

Tc91

Hey guys, picked a S4 up yesterday and after some general use (browsing the internet/Twitter, no gaming) I've noticed the device is getting extremely hot.

I've checked around online to find a solution to it but haven't found one, I have most features turned off GPS, Air View, Air gesture, Smart stay, Smart scroll etc.

Checked the battery usage through GSam Battery Monitor and also checked Wakelock Detector everything seems okay, I read something about Media? Couldn't find the problematic app on my phone so I guess that's not it.

Anyone got any tips?

Chopper

Hey guys, picked a S4 up yesterday and after some general use (browsing the internet/Twitter, no gaming) I've noticed the device is getting extremely hot.

I've checked around online to find a solution to it but haven't found one, I have most features turned off GPS, Air View, Air gesture, Smart stay, Smart scroll etc.

Checked the battery usage through GSam Battery Monitor and also checked Wakelock Detector everything seems okay, I read something about Media? Couldn't find the problematic app on my phone so I guess that's not it.

Anyone got any tips?
I notice this when playing games. Not ideal.

Tc91

I notice this when playing games. Not ideal.

I've heard about it whilst gaming, I have no games at the moment mine got burning hot whilst browsing the internet.

Much better today, I checked my battery usage and maps was at 78%! Force quit that shit and it's been really cool. Gonna keep my eye on it.

plainr_

Picked up a GS4 active yesterday. Love it but....

I did a water resistance test and dipped half the phone in a bowl of water for a few seconds and my return/back button did not work. Got it working again by pressing the button hard. :/

Coming from an iPhone 5, going into the Android side is very overwhelming. It's going to take a few days to get used to. Overall, I'm liking the phone but the damn thing is filled with useless AT&T apps and other junk I can't uninstall. Thinking of rooting but the brief issue with the back button kinda worried me a bit.

Picked up a GS4 active yesterday. Love it but....

I did a water resistance test and dipped half the phone in a bowl of water for a few seconds and my return/back button did not work. Got it working again by pressing the button hard. :/

Coming from an iPhone 5, going into the Android side is very overwhelming. It's going to take a few days to get used to. Overall, I'm liking the phone but the damn thing is filled with useless AT&T apps and other junk I can't uninstall. Thinking of rooting but the brief issue with the back button kinda worried me a bit.

You can just get a launcher, like Nova Launcher, and hide all the junk. The launcher also has tons of other awesome features that are well worth it.

You can just get a launcher, like Nova Launcher, and hide all the junk. The launcher also has tons of other awesome features that are well worth it.

Just leave all the useless shit under apps and move the stuff you care about to one of the home screens. The useless shit remains equally hidden that way

NIN90

Is there a way to add icons to the multiview bar on the left? Like, I'd like to use Dropbox with multiview but it's not on the bar and it doesn't look like I can drag it on there.

Or do the apps have to be optimized for multiview so I can't use any app with it?

Is there a way to add icons to the multiview bar on the left? Like, I'd like to use Dropbox with multiview but it's not on the bar and it doesn't look like I can drag it on there.

Or do the apps have to be optimized for multiview so I can't use any app with it?

They have to be optimized by developer.

Just leave all the useless shit under apps and move the stuff you care about to one of the home screens. The useless shit remains equally hidden that way

Then you don't get the advantages of not having to have all your icons on home screens. Leaving stuff in the drawer and adding drawer folders really gives you a cleaner (and different) experience from iOS.

there are ways™

I recently picked up a S4. What's the consensus on stock browser vs. Chrome?

I've heard mixed thoughts on here. Most say Chrome hogs battery.

I use Dolphin. But I use Chrome at work so if I want to get somethign to my phone fast I have the browses syncing so I can just open up Chrome on my phone.

Korosenai

Recently got the Galaxy S4 Active... loving it so far, my Android product. I've been using iPhone's since iPhone 3 and it's pretty much been my only experience with smartphones. Already bought a 32 GB SD card for it... now to find a good back up battery.

I switched to this phone, from an iPhone 5, at launch. I can't even use my ipad anymore. So much wasted space. It bothers me so much.

Looking to get a Nexus tablet.

Bye Apple. Glad I didn't wait for iOS7 before jumping ship.

lionelhutz

Recently got the Galaxy S4 Active... loving it so far, my Android product. I've been using iPhone's since iPhone 3 and it's pretty much been my only experience with smartphones. Already bought a 32 GB SD card for it... now to find a good back up battery.

Which SD card did you get?

Husker86

I recently picked up a S4. What's the consensus on stock browser vs. Chrome?

I switch between both pretty frequently for GAF browsing. It seems like the stock browser is a bit smoother than Chrome Beta, but that also might be a mind trick due to the slower scrolling of the stock browser.

I just cannot give up on Chrome though because I love the integration of info across my desktop and mobile browsing.

Top Bottom