• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

I just got my Galaxy S4 on Verizon yesterday and was able to delay the update installation until today when I was able to use the exploit to root the phone and install a custom recovery, then flash the update without the bootloader shenanigans. I don't know why I'm compelled to hack my phones, but at least this time it was MUCH simpler than unlocking the Rezound, which required me to short it out with an exposed wire with exact timing while running a program in the ADB shell.

reKon

Banned
I just got my Galaxy S4 on Verizon yesterday and was able to delay the update installation until today when I was able to use the exploit to root the phone and install a custom recovery, then flash the update without the bootloader shenanigans. I don't know why I'm compelled to hack my phones, but at least this time it was MUCH simpler than unlocking the Rezound, which required me to short it out with an exposed wire with exact timing while running a program in the ADB shell.

Wtf lol

It's just a standard micro USB. You can get one anywhere. Amazon if you're not in a hurry, otherwise Walmart (Best Buy and other similar stores will have them marked up pretty high).

nah, its a 2A charger, not 1A or 0.7A like typical chargers. if you get a normal one it will take longer to charge, make sure to get a 2A charger!

codhand

nah, its a 2A charger, not 1A or 0.7A like typical chargers. if you get a normal one it will take longer to charge, make sure to get a 2A charger!

thanks found a 2 amp charger on amazon for 8 bux Prime.

i had to exit that iPhone 4S versus 5 thread. LTE is the reason to upgrade to a 5? smh

one week with an S4 and i can confidently say i would not go back

cant say enough how dragging and dropping .flac on my 64 gb SD has changed my life

FoxSpirit

My carrier is insane. The damn thing costs €494 on Amazon right now and he STILL wants €379 with a 2 year plan. Of which €10 are just for the phone if you look at the phonefree contracts. WTF?????????

vgamer1

Finally bought my S4 on craigslist! Now I just have to wait for the sim card to come tomorrow from T-Mobile and I'll finally be off of shitty Sprint, who I've been stuck with for over 7 years! Also went ahead and ordered the Samsung case from Amazon and it will also get here tomorrow. I've been messing around with the phone on wifi and I'm just shocked the amount of bloat this thing comes with out of the box. Is everyone here rooted on custom roms or running stock? If running a custom rom, which? My main thing I want is debloated and the ability to use wifi tethering. Also has anyone used this phone on Metropcs yet? It's supposed to use T-Mobile's network now and was just wondering how it acted on Metro.

It's all about Eclipse S4 TW. AOSP theme on top of Touchwiz and blazing fast.

Husker86

Well I've been without my OEM charger for a while and just using random bricks/adapters that I've had in the house and it charges quick on all of them. Do any AC chargers really only output 700mA?

I'm actually really impressed with how fast this charges, especially considering the battery size. Maybe I'm missing out on even faster charge by not having my OEM charger!

Well I've been without my OEM charger for a while and just using random bricks/adapters that I've had in the house and it charges quick on all of them. Do any AC chargers really only output 700mA?

I'm actually really impressed with how fast this charges, especially considering the battery size. Maybe I'm missing out on even faster charge by not having my OEM charger!

older OEM ones and some 3rd party ones do...

Quick note. I bought a couple of anker replacement batteries for like $20 some odd dollars with a charger. Best investment one could make.

Also. Anyone here use a wireless Charger?

vgamer1

Still have voice activation, IR and MHL support?

I find myself using voice commands in the camera a lot.

It's stock touchwiz themed to look like AOSP, so it should have all the TW features and then some.

I know for a fact IR works, I don't really use the other two but I don't see why they wouldn't.

I've just installed the latest CyanogenMod nightly, out of habit.

Is there a consensus on what the best ROM for the S4 (I9505) is?

Edit: Jesus Christ, this phone is a fingerprint and dust magnet!

vgamer1

All the google apps are "negative" themed. That is, where the backgrounds were white before and the text was black, it's the opposite. It comes with stock JB messaging, which IMO is leagues better than TW messaging. In my experience, it's much snappier than just using nova, probably because it's extremely debloated. The notification panel is changed to fit AOSP guidelines, as is the dialer and contacts app. It retools the settings menu, as well. No longer are there different tabs for different menu items. It's as close to stock android with touchwiz features you're ever going to get.

malfcn

May get one this weekend or on the first of next month. I either pay for 1 month now, or 2 months for any other day. (AT&T).

What are people's favorite apps and cases?

I've just got this case:

spigen-sgp-samsung-galaxy-s4-case-neo-hybrid-infinity-white-nkloong08-1305-10-nkloong08@1.jpg

The phone looks less ugly with it. I'm disappointed by the look of the black S4 (it's not even really black. The back cover even looks silver-ish). I should have bought the white version.

I've just got this case:

The phone looks less ugly with it. I'm disappointed by the look of the black S4 (it's not even really black. The back cover even looks silver-ish). I should have bought the white version.

Had that one in red for awhile, but the gloss started flaking off and annoyed me (mostly minor and only really noticeable by me) so I swapped it out for the official Samsung case.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUIG77G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Outside of the relatively minor flaw with the Spigen case, I very much like both of them.

Scalibur

Just got the Samsung Qi wireless charging pad and back cover for the S4. The new back cover adds a little bulk, but this is like friggin sorcery.

malfcn

Does Bestbuy have this in 32? Their site just shows the 16gb and I am worried. Don't laugh, but I am upgrading form an LG Shine..I don't want to upgrade and be gimped out of the box. I see apps (anything else?) can go to an SD, but they are still limited.

Husker86

Does Bestbuy have this in 32? Their site just shows the 16gb and I am worried. Don't laugh, but I am upgrading form an LG Shine..I don't want to upgrade and be gimped out of the box. I see apps (anything else?) can go to an SD, but they are still limited.

The 32GB is available on AT&T only. What carrier are you on?

Husker86

Was going to try and get one tomorrow or Saturday.

Ah my bad. I would assume Best Buy carries the 32GB, but might as well call and check. On the plus side, AT&T doesn't do mail in rebates (at least for flagships) so if you have to go to an AT&T store to get one you won't be paying any more up front than you would at Best Buy. Unless you have gift cards or something.

malfcn

Ah my bad. I would assume Best Buy carries the 32GB, but might as well call and check. On the plus side, AT&T doesn't do mail in rebates (at least for flagships) so if you have to go to an AT&T store to get one you won't be paying any more up front than you would at Best Buy. Unless you have gift cards or something.

I think there is a Reward Zone bonus, and then the $400+ (2 phones) will mean certificates. Probably will go 16+32.
Also, do you have to manually move everything? Or can you set a default location? Thanks.

Stuff like music, pictures and videos could always go on SD, it's just apps that had to get specifically enabled in the update. And, yes, it's just some apps, not all. The app has to allow it.

I'm thinking of buying the GPE S4 but I'm concerned about the limited 16GB memory. If a third party microSD card is installed can photos and video automatically save to the SD?

Husker86

I'm thinking of buying the GPE S4 but I'm concerned about the limited 16GB memory. If a third party microSD card is installed can photos and video automatically save to the SD?

I have an AT&T S4 that I put 4.3 GE ROM on. Downside is that you cannot change the picture/video save location on the Google Camera. Supposedly they are adding the option to the Google Music app to be able to save to SD card so maybe they will add that to the camera, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Upside is the 16GB has more free space running GE ROM than TouchWiz.

You could always manually move the pictures/videos over with a file explorer app. Or buy a 32GB AT&T S4 and put the GE ROM on it and unlock it. Obviously that is less than ideal, but since it is the same phone as far as hardware goes, it is pretty easy to do.

plainr_

Somewhat new to android...

Is there a hack to make my phone be seen as a true usb mass storage device? That way my PS3 and other devices can detect it via usb.

I was surprised I needed additional software when I connected my s4 to a mac. No internet connection so I was unable to transfer files. :/

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Somewhat new to android...

Is there a hack to make my phone be seen as a true usb mass storage device? That way my PS3 and other devices can detect it via usb.

I was surprised I needed additional software when I connected my s4 to a mac. No internet connection so I was unable to transfer files. :/
When you connect by USB, on the phone you can select USB mode and then mass storage, no extra software required.

Cigol

Reposted from the android thread since I forgot we had handset threads; My dad decided to upgrade his phone today to a Samsung Galaxy S4 and after less than an hour of tinkering I've noticed something alarming, (a) |######## Redacted #######| and (b) how the camera freezes and locks up the phone.

It was working fine at first but for whatever reason it just suddenly froze. It accepted touch commands to the extent it vibrated and made a sound with no visual confirmation, but I eventually had to force close the camera app every time it happened. Google Hangouts crashed it again too (presumably because it was using the camera). Any other S4 users encountered this before? I guess I'll factory reset it later but I don't want this happening randomly in the future - he wants to take it on holiday with him and I can imagine the phone calls if it does.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Reposted from the android thread since I forgot we had handset threads; My dad decided to upgrade his phone today to a Samsung Galaxy S4 and after less than an hour of tinkering I've noticed something alarming, (a) |######## Redacted #######| and (b) how the camera freezes and locks up the phone.

It was working fine at first but for whatever reason it just suddenly froze. It accepted touch commands to the extent it vibrated and made a sound with no visual confirmation, but I eventually had to force close the camera app every time it happened. Google Hangouts crashed it again too (presumably because it was using the camera). Any other S4 users encountered this before? I guess I'll factory reset it later but I don't want this happening randomly in the future - he wants to take it on holiday with him and I can imagine the phone calls if it does.

Could be a hardware issue. That happened to my old phone after a couple of years, anything using the camera would be a lock. It could be a hardware dud, easiest and safest is to go get a new one. These things happen.

But what's the "redacted" part, did you solve that part?

poppabk

So is there any danger of burn-in if I leave the desk clock on all night? Will it shorten the life of my battery to have the phone charging while the phone is active? I want to use the phone as an alarm clock (I really like the gentle wake-up), but I need the time to be displayed all the time if I am going to use it like that.

So is there any danger of burn-in if I leave the desk clock on all night? Will it shorten the life of my battery to have the phone charging while the phone is active? I want to use the phone as an alarm clock (I really like the gentle wake-up), but I need the time to be displayed all the time if I am going to use it like that.

danger? yes! you don't want to do that.

poppabk

danger? yes! you don't want to do that.
Back to the drawing board aka 15 year old alarm clock. Guess I could use that for the time and the phone for the alarm, but I was hoping to retire the alarm clock. Wonder if there is a screensaver type clock which moves the time around on the screen.

Cigol

Could be a hardware issue. That happened to my old phone after a couple of years, anything using the camera would be a lock. It could be a hardware dud, easiest and safest is to go get a new one. These things happen.
Yeah we replaced it today as factory resetting it didn't do anything. All good now, he's back to lording it over me and my phone.

But what's the "redacted" part, did you solve that part?
Ah that part was probably asking for a beating in the S4 thread. Something to do with how much better stock android on my N4 is. /runs

plainr_

When you connect by USB, on the phone you can select USB mode and then mass storage, no extra software required.

I don't see this option anywhere.

Downloaded Samsung USB Mass Storage Enabler from the Play Store. It's buggy as hell. Only works after a complete restart.

Are there permanent solutions out there? I really want USB Mass Storage instead of this MTP garbage.

poppabk

Downloaded Samsung USB Mass Storage Enabler from the Play Store. It's buggy as hell. Only works after a complete restart.

Are there permanent solutions out there? I really want USB Mass Storage instead of this MTP garbage.
Yeah sorry, didn't realize this was an issue as MTP works fine on everything I connect to. Seems like a strange omission.

what device are you using that requires USB MSC?

asdad123

So I got this phone yesterday and an really enjoying it.

One question, whenever I click on an email a sound comes out and says "checked" and "not checked". It gets pretty annoying. How can I turn it off?

Svoice is off and I have the Google keyboard installed.

Husker86

So I got this phone yesterday and an really enjoying it.

One question, whenever I click on an email a sound comes out and says "checked" and "not checked". It gets pretty annoying. How can I turn it off?

Svoice is off and I have the Google keyboard installed.

Do you have TalkBack turned on? It's in Accessibility settings. It's for people with poor/no eyesight, so the device speaks things out so you know what you touched.

Top Bottom