• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Husker86

I don't see that setting in my accessibility settings so I'm guessing its off?

It might be called something different on Touchwiz (I'm using a Google Edition ROM on my S4 so I can't check) but there is definitely a setting somewhere for assisting people with vision problems by speaking things out. I'll try to look it up.

edit: system settings -> accessibility -> text to speech -> driving mode?

edit2: People are saying Lightflow can cause this issue, are you using Lightflow?

asdad123

It might be called something different on Touchwiz (I'm using a Google Edition ROM on my S4 so I can't check) but there is definitely a setting somewhere for assisting people with vision problems by speaking things out. I'll try to look it up.

edit: system settings -> accessibility -> text to speech -> driving mode?

edit2: People are saying Lightflow can cause this issue, are you using Lightflow?

Yep looks like it was light flow. I just disabled it and no more talking.

Thanks

So I got this phone yesterday and an really enjoying it.

One question, whenever I click on an email a sound comes out and says "checked" and "not checked". It gets pretty annoying. How can I turn it off?

Svoice is off and I have the Google keyboard installed.

Its an accessibility glitch.

There is a program that you added, that does something with your accessibility, and turns this on. There is an add-on language talk package that you can download and it will mute the feature.

Do a little googling and you will find the proper program to fix it.

*Edit. Use my method if you want to keep LightFlow.

Got it, download SVOX Classic TTS and don't download any language packs. It will override the Talkback settings that got messed up in Accessibility.

Now you can keep your Light Flow or whatever else will mess up this feature.

scarlet

got the phone a week ago, my first android, huge leap from iphone 4.

a question, how's the home button quality? is it better than iphone? cause i really love using it

i've tried 'swipe home button' but physical > digital

Nemesis_

Is there an app that will rotate wallpapers for me? Or is that too intensive?

For example, I've got a folder of 120ish wallpapers which I all love, but I can't pick one. So can I get an app that will rotate them at say, 5am every morning so I wake up to a new wallpaper each day?

:D

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Is there an app that will rotate wallpapers for me? Or is that too intensive?

For example, I've got a folder of 120ish wallpapers which I all love, but I can't pick one. So can I get an app that will rotate them at say, 5am every morning so I wake up to a new wallpaper each day?

:D
I've always wondered why that isn't included by default. Seems like the most basic of functionality.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Sorry if this question has already been asked a million times and debated to death, but is there really anything noteworthy that I miss out on by getting the Google version of the S4?

I'm kinda leaning in that direction since my old phone just had stock Gingerbread on it so I'm kinda used to using stock instead of TouchWiz. I could do without a feature like the hand waving above the phone instead of touching, but is there anything else that TouchWiz really gets me as far as features go?

Ok so I've had my phone for 2 months now with no issues but last night when I put my phone to charge like I always do it became super hot and stopped charging, I woke up today with a message saying that the phone was too hot and it had suspended charging. What could have caused this? I didn't have any apps running and my phone is connected to my wifi network while I'm at home. Any ideas?

Husker86

Sorry if this question has already been asked a million times and debated to death, but is there really anything noteworthy that I miss out on by getting the Google version of the S4?

I'm kinda leaning in that direction since my old phone just had stock Gingerbread on it so I'm kinda used to using stock instead of TouchWiz. I could do without a feature like the hand waving above the phone instead of touching, but is there anything else that TouchWiz really gets me as far as features go?

I have an AT&T S4 and after a couple of weeks I flashed the Google Edition ROM to it. I'm on 4.3 now.

The only thing I miss about TouchWiz is the camera. It has a lot more options (I like burst mode), but I can live without it.

vdlow

The only feature I miss is being able to use the phone with gloves. The camera is not a big deal to me and even with TouchWiz I always used Camera Zoom FX instead of Samsung's camera app.

Both my GF and I got S4's yesterday and have spent some time trying to set them up this afternoon.

Mine is fine, but my GF is having trouble with hers.

She can go online with it... until she connects to our router with the Wi Fi. It says she's connected and has a good connection, but anything involving going online (using the browser, adding her Google account, etc) results in a connection error.

Anyone come across this yet, or will we have to get it swapped over tomorrow?

Husker86

Both my GF and I got S4's yesterday and have spent some time trying to set them up this afternoon.

She can go online with it... until she connects to our router with the Wi Fi. It says she's connected and has a good connection, but anything involving going online (using the browser, adding her Google account, etc) results in a connection error.

That's strange. Did you try a factory reset?

Try connecting her phone to the router using a static IP address and see if that helps maybe?

That's strange. Did you try a factory reset?

Yup. No dice.

Try connecting her phone to the router using a static IP address and see if that helps maybe?

Tried that, but nada.

It's really odd. I connect it to the router, and it says "connected to..." at the bottom of the screen. I check the connection settings, and it says it's got a strong signal. I then open "Internet" and it almost instantly says "couldn't establish a connection". If I turn off the WiFi it connects online straight away.

It's actually really upsetting her.

I have an AT&T S4 and after a couple of weeks I flashed the Google Edition ROM to it. I'm on 4.3 now.

The only thing I miss about TouchWiz is the camera. It has a lot more options (I like burst mode), but I can live without it.

Any good tutorials? I have the Verizon S4 and want the bloat off.

-PXG-

I just ordered this case

$T2eC16ZHJF0FFZ5pO0DvBR+OimsT7w~~60_1.JPG

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=171105007831

Husker86

Any good tutorials? I have the Verizon S4 and want the bloat off.

I'm not sure about Google Edition ROMs for the Verizon version. It's easy for the AT&T version because they are the same phone hardware-wise.

You can go into app Info for each app that you don't want and disable them though. It won't free up any space, but it will make it look like they're not on your phone.

Fixed the problem with my GF's phone by removing her from the MAC filter list, rebooting the router and then adding her back on again.

What a pain in the arse! Still, all sorted now.

Loving the phone, btw... although a bit annoyed that it's a 16GB phone but only has just under 10GB available. That's a bit sodding cheeky. Either way though, it's a lot better than my old Galaxy Ace which only had a tiny fraction of that!

Ugh, battery life has taken at least a 30% hit in the last week or so. GSam Battery Monitor isn't telling me too much, although it suggests that the phone radio is working a lot more. So either cellphone signal has significantly degraded at my work and home, or the way the radio is being used has gotten cocked up by an app.

Ugh, battery life has taken at least a 30% hit in the last week or so. GSam Battery Monitor isn't telling me too much, although it suggests that the phone radio is working a lot more. So either cellphone signal has significantly degraded at my work and home, or the way the radio is being used has gotten cocked up by an app.

Settings>More>Battery

Share the apps and their percentages. I can help.

Disable location reporting under Google Settings, restart device, and report back an hour later.

Will do, thanks. I've used location tracking for a while without such severe draining issues, but maybe something's changed.

Update: Welp, that really seemed to do the trick, thanks! Still a mystery to me why it would only manifest itself now, but whatever. My daily travels were too dull anyway to constantly log.

White Man

Any good links on doing this? I did a quick search and although I found a bunch of hits, it'd be helpful to know which is the best and most timely. I just got an S4 two days ago and the bloat is MADDENING.

Help's appreciated!

Will do, thanks. I've used location tracking for a while without such severe draining issues, but maybe something's changed.

Update: Welp, that really seemed to do the trick, thanks! Still a mystery to me why it would only manifest itself now, but whatever. My daily travels were too dull anyway to constantly log.

No problem! Location reporting doesn't seem to really do much anyway. Not that I've noticed at least.

vehn

Is it normal for the battery to go from 100% to 85% over 8 hours overnight? Tried to turn off background services and stuff but still seems to drain while idle

Husker86

Any good links on doing this? I did a quick search and although I found a bunch of hits, it'd be helpful to know which is the best and most timely. I just got an S4 two days ago and the bloat is MADDENING.

Help's appreciated!
Have you read this thread? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=23144942314494

Check your firmware version, because if you are on the latest update (MF3), you may have some issues right now. That thread explains it a bit.

-PXG-

Thanks! Here's a screenshot:

qE60i50.png

Google Services and Cell Standby are kicking your ass.

Disable any setting in Google apps that report from your device/ pinpoint your location. Also, do you move around a lot during the day? Are you in a location with a terrible or inconsistent signal. That could also hurt your battery too. Do you have access to LTE either?

EDIT

My current idle drain is unreal. I only go down 1% every 3 hours if not, more, on idle. I'm running all sorts of mods though. You will NEVER get that kind of performance on regular ass TW.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Just got my phone shipped from Google. The box looks like a block of wood... why?

pappe

Just shifted to Samsung after using to Blackberry for ages and I feel pretty overwhelmed with features right now. Still I am loving it.
Are there any must have apps out there which i should download right away?
Btw,Has the Blackberry Messenger for Android launched yet?? or is there a beta version out there?

Dakota47

Are there any must have apps out there which i should download right away?

WhatsApp for text messages, Plume or Janetter for Twitter, reddit is fun for reddit, Snapseed for photo editing and treat yourself to SwiftKey because it's a lot better than the stock keyboard.

Sora_N

My contract is up in 2 months, I'm heavily leaning towards getting this. I'm upgrading from HTC Desire Z (I think US is called G2? or something), I never rooted my old one since it's pretty old now. Is it still low risk and easy to root Android phones? I'll probably do it this time around. Is it necessary for me to root it if I might be okay with the stock features and stuff though? (I'm not sure about this yet since I didn't have much issues with my current phone)

My contract is up in 2 months, I'm heavily leaning towards getting this. I'm upgrading from HTC Desire Z (I think US is called G2? or something), I never rooted my old one since it's pretty old now. Is it still low risk and easy to root Android phones? I'll probably do it this time around. Is it necessary for me to root it if I might be okay with the stock features and stuff though? (I'm not sure about this yet since I didn't have much issues with my current phone)

try it with stock the first few weeks and see. most people are fine with whatever stock firmware is on their device.

ibu

Got my S4 being delivered tomorrow.
Can't wait to customise the heck out of it. Any recommendations on great apps coming from an iOS ecosystem to android?

Top Bottom