• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Got my S4 being delivered tomorrow.
Can't wait to customise the heck out of it. Any recommendations on great apps coming from an iOS ecosystem to android?

Coming from iOS, one of the most frustrating thing will be how the new OS handles lock screen notifications. Its bad.

To get it most iOS-like, I have NiLS Notifications and SMS Popup app downloaded and installed.

MMaRsu

Banned
Guys I just received my Samsung Galaxy S4 today, but I'm having big problems hooking it up to my PC to transfer files.

My pc says when it connects that there is some problem with the MTP inf and that installation hasnt correctly happened.

When I hook up the Galaxy S4 to my pc ( Windows XP, SP3 ) the computer detects a device, but I cannot access the phone structure. If I use the photo mode on the S4 I can see the structure, but not transfer any files to it.

Kies also does not work, but Kies air does. However uploading some files takes a long damn time. I dont want to use Dropbox either because you can't transfer files bigger than 1gb.

Any help with this MTP bullshit? I could always transfer files on my pc with my S2, but Kies didn't work either.

Now I'm screwed because I can't transfer files at all? Please some gaffer help me out :(

Guys I just received my Samsung Galaxy S4 today, but I'm having big problems hooking it up to my PC to transfer files.

My pc says when it connects that there is some problem with the MTP inf and that installation hasnt correctly happened.

When I hook up the Galaxy S4 to my pc ( Windows XP, SP3 ) the computer detects a device, but I cannot access the phone structure. If I use the photo mode on the S4 I can see the structure, but not transfer any files to it.

Kies also does not work, but Kies air does. However uploading some files takes a long damn time. I dont want to use Dropbox either because you can't transfer files bigger than 1gb.

Any help with this MTP bullshit? I could always transfer files on my pc with my S2, but Kies didn't work either.

Now I'm screwed because I can't transfer files at all? Please some gaffer help me out :(

update Windows Media Player, KIES and the Samsung USB driver to the latest version from their respective websites and try again.

Husker86

XP doesn't support MTP natively.

Check this out:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=19153

MMaRsu

Banned
Thx guys,reinstalling wmp11 worked. Im probably looking to root it next because is it normal for the 4s to use around 1.45gb of the ram when idling with no active apps? Having some issues with sound not being in sync. Ill go have a look at some odin tutorials.

Thx guys,reinstalling wmp11 worked. Im probably looking to root it next because is it normal for the 4s to use around 1.45gb of the ram when idling with no active apps? Having some issues with sound not being in sync. Ill go have a look at some odin tutorials.

don't worry about how much RAM is in use when nothing is active. worry about RAM usage when you switch between apps and they have to refresh because they weren't in RAM.

VoxPop

Can't wait to customise the heck out of it. Any recommendations on great apps coming from an iOS ecosystem to android?

Brace yourself..

On a more serious note, most of the major apps should be there. Just all the other great niche apps will be missing.

Get yourself MX Player if you plan to watch videos on your phone

Get yourself a launcher (Apex or Nova) to get rid of a majority of that horrible TouchWiz overlay

You can get yourself a new keyboard if you don't like your current one. (Swiftkey, Swype, or Minuum)

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Watchon, which comes pre-installed.
Unified remote.
Great apps for controlling home theater stuff and computers.
If you use your phone in your car then car dock home v3 and the associated car mode toggle.

ibu

Brace yourself..

On a more serious note, most of the major apps should be there. Just all the other great niche apps will be missing.

Get yourself MX Player if you plan to watch videos on your phone

Get yourself a launcher (Apex or Nova) to get rid of a majority of that horrible TouchWiz overlay

You can get yourself a new keyboard if you don't like your current one. (Swiftkey, Swype, or Minuum)

Thanks, I had been spending some time customising the phone. Nova Launcher Pro bought, Flatro Icons pack, Dashclock and various other apps I used to use on iOS and work well across both formats (Flipboard, WhatsApp etc.). Liking it alot so far. Only downside was the forced Trip Advisor app reinstalling due to Samsungs crappy bloatware.

Thank god I can install (some) apps to SD Card now.

Watchon, which comes pre-installed.
Unified remote.
Great apps for controlling home theater stuff and computers.
If you use your phone in your car then car dock home v3 and the associated car mode toggle.

Thanks, I set that up and using it with the Sky HD box. All good so far.

What are the best podcast apps that also support streaming podcasts? I tried Hipstacast, it was cool until the random podcast playing, and inability to stream podcasts rather than downloading.

I have unlimited data so that's no concern.

I also signed up to Google Music All Access which is pretty good and much nicer UI than Spotify.

Why is it that I can see her emoji but can't actually put them in myself?

6eaqBh7KjYHWJ87eW08kamSAX7M958JqQTRSbY62deQ

coldfoot

Banned
Getting a S4 Verizon for $400 today. Which firmware version do I have to watch out for so I can immediately get rid of the S-Lag and flash to CM10.2?

Is there a way to remove Samsung's built-in missed call and new message notifications / "widgets" on the lock screen? I can't seem to find any option to remove them. They're quite ugly, and I'd rather use DashClock to do the job. I only see an option to hide a preview of a message's content, but nothing to remove it entirely.

Thanks!

Is there a way to remove Samsung's built-in missed call and new message notifications / "widgets" on the lock screen? I can't seem to find any option to remove them. They're quite ugly, and I'd rather use DashClock to do the job. I only see an option to hide a preview of a message's content, but nothing to remove it entirely.

Thanks!

in the settings, turn on multiple lock screens. then you can change and edit the lock screens.

mantidor

Ok something has to be wrong.

I'm just browsing Gaf, no gifs, no images, not even avatars, with the charger plugged, and this thing is burning like hell, my fingers almost hurt... is this normal? the phone is heating up way too much.

Using wifi or not makes no difference, same as disabling air gestures and all that stuff. Without the charger the battery depletes really fast (10% per hour), with the charger on it doesn't even go up.

Ok something has to be wrong.

I'm just browsing Gaf, no gifs, no images, not even avatars, with the charger plugged, and this thing is burning like hell, my fingers almost hurt... is this normal? the phone is heating up way too much.

Using wifi or not makes no difference, same as disabling air gestures and all that stuff. Without the charger the battery depletes really fast (10% per hour), with the charger on it doesn't even go up.

Getting hot while charging is common. Download some battery diagnostic apps (like GSAM) and see whats hogging it.

Make sure in your google maps settings its not constantly trying to access your location.

mantidor

Getting hot while charging is common. Download some battery diagnostic apps (like GSAM) and see whats hogging it.

Make sure in your google maps settings its not constantly trying to access your location.

I disabled gps too, weirdly, battery diagnostics showed the gps was on, even when I disabled the wifi option for localization as well. The thing is that it also heats up a lot when not charging and I do browsing. Leaving the phone on stand by doesn't heat up.

I will try GSAM, thanks for the suggestion.

mantidor

So gsam really didn't give me any light in the problem, it told me the same as the battery option of the phone, the screen eats up battery insanely. However that can't be true, because if I'm not browsing, like say checking google Music making a playlist, the phone doesn't heat up, it's clearly internet usage, and that sucks big time, is only 5 hours of light browsing normal for battery life?

Thanks, but that wasn't the solution. After looking on XDA and elsewhere, it seems that there is no way to remove what I'm talking about. Just gotta wait for a mod/tweak, or use something like widgetlocker.

they still show up even when you turn on multiple lockscreens, add a lockscreen for DashClock and then drag the DashClock lockscreen to the default spot?

mantidor

My bad, further tests with every connection turned off confirmed that the problem is indeed the screen, but it heats up way too much... this might sound weird, but could this be caused by a protection screen?

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
What an incredible phone. I just switched from the iPhone4s. I can't believe I waited so long to buy a Galaxy.

I can barely put it down, it's just so beautiful to look at and use.

mantidor

I removed the protection screen, for sure this screen is pretty nice, but what is the point if your fingers feel like they are melting? the worst is that it seems this is its normal behavior.

I removed the protection screen, for sure this screen is pretty nice, but what is the point if your fingers feel like they are melting? the worst is that it seems this is its normal behavior.

I think you may be having a problem with your phone.... or you're being overly dramatic. I dont know.

The temperature of the phone is definitely "noticeable" at certain times, especially since this is my first non-iPhone. But its definitely not uncomfortably hot. Maybe have yours checked out by someone.

Cmerrill said:
What an incredible phone. I just switched from the iPhone4s. I can't believe I waited so long to buy a Galaxy.

I can barely put it down, it's just so beautiful to look at and use.

Yeah man, I love this phone so much. I was so scared to leave iOS when this phone launched and I couldn't be happier. I love almost everything about it.

Theres been 3 new flagships that have been announced or launched since I got my Galaxy S4 (MotoX, 1020, iPhone5S) and I am still confident that I have the best phone on the market. The only new phone that could make me jealous will be the Nexus 5. But even then, I'll only have 6 more months till I can get a Galaxy S5.

mantidor

I think you may be having a problem with your phone.... or you're being overly dramatic. I dont know.

The temperature of the phone is definitely "noticeable" at certain times, especially since this is my first non-iPhone. But its definitely not uncomfortably hot. Maybe have yours checked out by someone.

Well you might be right, but is 35°c a normal temperature while surfing? I really don't think so, but everyone I've seen on other forums report similar temperatures.

Well you might be right, but is 35°c a normal temperature while surfing? I really don't think so, but everyone I've seen on other forums report similar temperatures.

Sorry for conversion...

No, thats a bit high. Mine usually sits around 82 degrees, and when I feel it hot I'll look and it will be around 90-92. Then I know either i've been on it for a while or there is something in the background hogging the balls out of it.

How is your battery life? Maybe something in the background is killing it?

mantidor

Sorry for conversion...

No, thats a bit high. Mine usually sits around 82 degrees, and when I feel it hot I'll look and it will be around 90-92. Then I know either i've been on it for a while or there is something in the background hogging the balls out of it.

How is your battery life? Maybe something in the background is killing it?

Battery life is good as long as I don't use the screen, like listening music for instance, this really seems to be a phone problem, I also kill everything I've always been very careful with apps on the background.

Urgh I don't want to go through the guarantee process again with Samsung, I got burned out with a problem in my S3, it took months, and the phone wasn't properly fixed anyway, I'm going to go the store to see if the can change it.

Nemesis_

I got an update today and the only thing I can notice thus far is that the top bar is now transparent, even when using a custom background!

YAY

vehn

I was eligible for an upgrade with att a little over a month ago and got this phone, and I had to pay $200 with a contract to get it. Do you think that I should have paid less or nothing at all given I was eligible for a phone upgrade?

Husker86

I was eligible for an upgrade with att a little over a month ago and got this phone, and I had to pay $200 with a contract to get it. Do you think that I should have paid less or nothing at all given I was eligible for a phone upgrade?
You might have saved some money if you went through Amazon or something, but $200 is the normal price for it for upgrades/new customers.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yeah 200 is the normal price when on contract. It should be dropping in price now that the iphone5s is out.

Scalibur

S4 fell from about a foot and a half, and the screen is damaged. Million different color pixels, and random warping. Just got it 2 months ago. Going to take it to Sprint tomorrow and see how much it will cost to get repaired.

S4 fell from about a foot and a half, and the screen is damaged. Million different color pixels, and random warping. Just got it 2 months ago. Going to take it to Sprint tomorrow and see how much it will cost to get repaired.

My girl had to send hers to Samsung. $200 and they fix everything. Screen and LCD. Those places in the mall will only fix glass.

VPhys

)

I feel like a complete noob asking this as the S4 is my 5th android phone. But I don't get what these launchers are doing. Furthermore, I don't understand what exactly is the "tochWiz overlay." As far as I can tell the only thing Samsung has on the homescreen is a weather app, which you can hold down and swipe away permanently. After that it's simply a matter of adding which icons you want to the home screen. I briefly installed Nova launcher and then Apex Launcher, and they look exactly the same as touchwiz, although with slightly different animations.

Is there some customization in these launchers that you have to do to make them different than the stock UI? And if there is, any recommendations on what to do after you install, for example the Apex launchers. What settings should I change, etc.

I feel like a complete noob asking this as the S4 is my 5th android phone. But I don't get what these launchers are doing. Furthermore, I don't understand what exactly is the "tochWiz overlay." As far as I can tell the only thing Samsung has on the homescreen is a weather app, which you can hold down and swipe away permanently. After that it's simply a matter of adding which icons you want to the home screen. I briefly installed Nova launcher and then Apex Launcher, and they look exactly the same as touchwiz, although with slightly different animations.

Is there some customization in these launchers that you have to do to make them different than the stock UI? And if there is, any recommendations on what to do after you install, for example the Apex launchers. What settings should I change, etc.

The Android Jelly bean versions that land on Nexus devices (or more recently Galaxy S4 and HTC One Google Play Editions) are the only truly stock operating system that google designed.

When Samsung gets a hold of the operating system, they "overlay" their system on top of stock android that changes the way things look, adds new features, adds new Samsung apps, then the carrier gets a hold of it and adds their own apps also.

When HTC gets a hold of Android they overlay their "Sense" system on top of stock android.

Launchers offer you more options to customize the operating system. I use Nova launcher. I have some apps "hidden" so I don't see them in my app drawer. I have different animations for swiping, changed icon sizes, change number of dock icons, allow wallpaper to scroll when i'm going through home screens, etc.

XenoRaven

Yeah 200 is the normal price when on contract. It should be dropping in price now that the iphone5s is out.
Any guesses on how long it will take for a price drop? I planned on getting an S4 fairly soon but if there's a price drop coming in the next couple of weeks I can stand to wait a bit longer.

VPhys

The Android Jelly bean versions that land on Nexus devices (or more recently Galaxy S4 and HTC One Google Play Editions) are the only truly stock operating system that google designed.

When Samsung gets a hold of the operating system, they "overlay" their system on top of stock android that changes the way things look, adds new features, adds new Samsung apps, then the carrier gets a hold of it and adds their own apps also.

When HTC gets a hold of Android they overlay their "Sense" system on top of stock android.

Launchers offer you more options to customize the operating system. I use Nova launcher. I have some apps "hidden" so I don't see them in my app drawer. I have different animations for swiping, changed icon sizes, change number of dock icons, allow wallpaper to scroll when i'm going through home screens, etc.

Gotcha. Ok so now I'm seeing some of the benefit. I was able to get rid of the left scroll bar that Samsung has. What's funny is I don't know how I was able to get rid of it, and I don't see an option for doing so. Perhaps it was just a delay after installing the launcher until it disappeared.

Ugh, the proximity sensor seems to have crapped out on me. Looking online, this looks like a common Samsung problem. If you're going to have 50 zillion sensors in your phone, Samsung, make sure they are robust. Anybody else have this problem?

mhayze

Hello - I was wondering if there are any high quality matte-finish / grippy replacement battery doors. I would rather not get a case that thickens the phone much at all, so I'd like something that is higher quality and not slippery, to replace the stock battery door. Any links / opinions?

Top Bottom