• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

I've checked out the S4 at my local tech store for a couple minutes. It seems like a neat phone but the screen looked kinda dim and very blue-tinted. Is it really like that all the time or can this be changed in the settings?

I've checked out the S4 at my local tech store for a couple minutes. It seems like a neat phone but the screen looked kinda dim and very blue-tinted. Is it really like that all the time or can this be changed in the settings?

The one thing the S4 isn't is dim. It's brightness could light up a cave if it wanted to.

Boof

Just put the latest CM 10.1 Nightly on my Galaxy S4 (ATT)... Turned a great phone into a phenomenal one. Very excited to see the evolution of this ROM as it is still fairly new and probably has some bugs. I haven't encountered any major issues yet. It's buttery smooth!

Menelaus

Banned
Just put the latest CM 10.1 Nightly on my Galaxy S4 (ATT)... Turned a great phone into a phenomenal one. Very excited to see the evolution of this ROM as it is still fairly new and probably has some bugs. I haven't encountered any major issues yet. It's buttery smooth!

Doesn't it gimp the camera quality, though? I'd also be interested in your battery life comparisons.

Boof

The pictures still looks very good (12.8 MP) is the highest it can go. It doesn't have the stock touchwiz camera software so it doesn't have the level of refinement certainly, but I'm not a huge picture taker/person so it's a reasonable sacrifice. Battery comparisons in the future. I was getting over 24 hours of battery life with "normal" usage with stock.

RkOwnage

I just got my S4 yesterday, having been with the iPhone 5 for a long time, and I have 2 questions, for anyone experiencing similar issues:

1. I don't get text messages from any of my friends with iPhones. I assume it has something to do with me formerly using iMessage, but I don't know how to "fix" the issue

2. Is there a way I can have incoming text messages show me parts of what the texts say, rather than "1 new Message" and have to click it to read it?

Other than that, loving the phone. It's with VZW, is it worth it to root and install roms, or not? Just wondering people's opinions!!

I just got my S4 yesterday, having been with the iPhone 5 for a long time, and I have 2 questions, for anyone experiencing similar issues:

1. I don't get text messages from any of my friends with iPhones. I assume it has something to do with me formerly using iMessage, but I don't know how to "fix" the issue

2. Is there a way I can have incoming text messages show me parts of what the texts say, rather than "1 new Message" and have to click it to read it?

Other than that, loving the phone. It's with VZW, is it worth it to root and install roms, or not? Just wondering people's opinions!!

Go to messaging app. Hit settings button. Find click for message preview.

They need to use SMS, not iMessage.

See above.

Not quite yet. Let more development occur first. Though you may want to get the rooting and bootloader stuff done before they patch it.

RkOwnage

They need to use SMS, not iMessage.

See above.

Not quite yet. Let more development occur first. Though you may want to get the rooting and bootloader stuff done before they patch it.

So it's on their end and not my end? I didn't turn iMessage off on my account, but I did factory reset the phone, as well as go into my apple account on the web and deleted all my devices previously used...still having issues.

Such an obstacle, Apple wouldn't let me leave peacefully.

this_guy

Your old iPhone is sucking in all the messages from iMessage, so you have to disable it.

Husker86

So it's on their end and not my end? I didn't turn iMessage off on my account, but I did factory reset the phone, as well as go into my apple account on the web and deleted all my devices previously used...still having issues.

Such an obstacle, Apple wouldn't let me leave peacefully.
Did you use iMessage on a Mac at all, or iPad? I had that problem and found my Mac was sucking up all of my messages.

RkOwnage

Did you use iMessage on a Mac at all, or iPad? I had that problem and found my Mac was sucking up all of my messages.

I do use the iMessage on my iPad, I'll turn it off and see if that fixes it, not that I text much from my ipad as is, so it's not a big deal.

I also just finished rooting the device, from the easy guide on XDA, so I am all rooted and rdy to go once some good roms hit. I really want a pure stock rom, and I'm hopeful when the Galaxy S4 GOogle edition comes out we will get some awesome roms for it. Hopeful!

Been an Apple user since 2007, this is my first Android, loving it so far.

Husker86

I do use the iMessage on my iPad, I'll turn it off and see if that fixes it, not that I text much from my ipad as is, so it's not a big deal.

I also just finished rooting the device, from the easy guide on XDA, so I am all rooted and rdy to go once some good roms hit. I really want a pure stock rom, and I'm hopeful when the Galaxy S4 GOogle edition comes out we will get some awesome roms for it. Hopeful!

Been an Apple user since 2007, this is my first Android, loving it so far.
Were all those missed messages on the iPad? I'm almost 100% sure that was the issue so you should be good. I can't remember if I had to go to an icloud web control panel to unregister devices as well. I don't know for sure if an icloud web portal even exists, but for some reason that just popped into my mind.

Edit: Oh, and you can still use iMessage on iPad,just make sure it isn't set to receive messages at your cell phone number anymore.

This phone is lovely. I went from the iphone 4s to this s4 just yesterday and it's so refreshing to see a wallpaper. Lot's of terrible docomo proprietary apps came preloaded but it's all good.

Like an idiot I went and bought swift key. I need to be able to switch to Japanese all the time and swift key doesn't have it as an option... was too late to get a refund but thank God for swype. It's cheaper and has Japanese support. *sigh*

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This phone is lovely. I went from the iphone 4s to this s4 just yesterday and it's so refreshing to see a wallpaper. Lot's of terrible docomo proprietary apps came preloaded but it's all good.

Like an idiot I went and bought swift key. I need to be able to switch to Japanese all the time and swift key doesn't have it as an option... was too late to get a refund but thank God for swype. It's cheaper and has Japanese support. *sigh*
It's listed as supported on the swiftkey website. I don't see it in my list of languages but I have a few languages that don't show up due to what I guess are font issues.

Apple still hasn't fixed this? and people really want Google to attempt it? haha

contact the devs directly, i'm sure they will give you a manual refund. and make sure to tell them that is SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE THEY DO NOT HAVE JAPANESE LANGUAGE SUPPORT because they're been extremely slow to add that. they've been 'working on it' forever.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
One of my friends recently picked this phone up and I saw the screen... My god. It is fucking gorgeous. So crisp, full of color, and the camera pictures were just jaw dropping to me. I put my S3 screen next to hers and daaaaaamn. It's a big difference in quality!

VPhys

How do I stop this phone from converting pictures to MMS. When I send pictures to friends they get compressed and turned into this annoying playlist.

Boof

How do I stop this phone from converting pictures to MMS. When I send pictures to friends they get compressed and turned into this annoying playlist.

If you have ATT the messages automatically get compressed when you send them over MMS because ATT puts a limit on MMS size. Best way is just to email.

D23

getting this phone today, im upgrading from galaxy s1 (vibrant) that came out in 2010... im prepared to be blown away

vdlow

getting this phone today, im upgrading from galaxy s1 (vibrant) that came out in 2010... im prepared to be blown away

Mine arrived today, I'm upgrading from a... Galaxy S1 lol. Yeah, you will be blown away.

The screen is amazing, and the whole phone is awesome.

I though I would hate touchwiz and install CM10.1 in the first day, but it's actually not that bad, I just installed Apex Launcher to customize a little more my homescreen, but I'm not planning to install a custom ROM or theme anytime soon.

By now, the only thing that could make me jump to other rom would be a newer Android version with some amazing new features, or performance problems which does not seem to be the case here.

FoxSpirit

I finally saw the S4 in person today. The screen is AMAZING!!!
Stayed away from the S3 thanks to the visible pentile but on the S4 it's so fine it's invisible!! Oh god, pricedrop already, I won't pay my carrier a €379 addon >.<

D23

just some question before im getting this in an hour or so, so i heard this phone only have 9gb of internal storage , can you move like games apps to ur sd card? cause 9gb is really not that much, i plan on downloading tons of games on this thing.

Mine arrived today, I'm upgrading from a... Galaxy S1 lol. Yeah, you will be blown away.

The screen is amazing, and the whole phone is awesome.

I though I would hate touchwiz and install CM10.1 in the first day, but it's actually not that bad, I just installed Apex Launcher to customize a little more my homescreen, but I'm not planning to install a custom ROM or theme anytime soon.

By now, the only thing that could make me jump to other rom would be a newer Android version with some amazing new features, or performance problems which does not seem to be the case here.

haha good to know someone is upgrading from s1 too

is there any lag at all??

vdlow

just some question before im getting this in an hour or so, so i heard this phone only have 9gb of internal storage , can you move like games apps to ur sd card? cause 9gb is really not that much, i plan on downloading tons of games on this thing.

haha good to know someone is upgrading from s1 too

is there any lag at all??
I think that the latest update lets you move apps to the SD.

The only lag I've noticed was in the gallery app. I have almost 20GB of music, and every album has its cover art. The gallery app loaded all the images, so it was a lot of files. But the second time it was pretty smooth.

Then I tried to use an alternative gallery app, QuickPic, and it run smooth even on the first use.

shwimpy

I usually go caseless with all my phones but this phone is quite slippery and I've dropped it a few times... thankfully on carpet so there's damage on the phone whatsoever.

I need suggestions on the most minimalist case with decent grip.

Thanks.

rc213

I haven't found a way to use any security and lockscreen widgets. About the only thing that bothers me about the GS4. I was used to having DashClock and pattern unlock on the Nexus 4.

vdlow

I haven't found a way to use any security and lockscreen widgets. About the only thing that bothers me about the GS4. I was used to having DashClock and pattern unlock on the Nexus 4.

Yeah, it's bothering me too. Don't know what Samsung was thinking when they decided this.

VPhys

I usually go caseless with all my phones but this phone is quite slippery and I've dropped it a few times... thankfully on carpet so there's damage on the phone whatsoever.

I need suggestions on the most minimalist case with decent grip.

Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUUIOS4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Been using it for a month and no complaints.

I also got the case for that exact reason. I've been through about 8 smartphones and always used them naked, until the GS4.

This is bugging the hell out of me.

When using the camera app, when I click the thumbnail to check my pictures, it goes to the default Gallery app. How can I make it go to QuickPic instead?

VPhys

Has anyone been able to get the phone to default to Media Transfer Device, instead of USB installer when connecting the phone to a computer?

Usually when I connect the phone to the computer is to transfer music or pictures, so it's really annoying having to g into the setting every time I plug it in.

For those case-shopping, I have to temper my recommendation for the Elago hard case. After a month of use, it doesn't fit quite as tight and has gotten a little squeaky. I will probably replace it once it gets too annoying. It was only $10 so it's not a disaster, but I definitely expected it to last longer than this.

Top Bottom