• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Song covers better than the original?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ymmv

Banned
Probably no one will agree but,

Voivod cover of Pink Floyd's "Astronomy Domine".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24Q01-TWa-w

I agree. The Voivod cover is excellent (but still very close to the original)

My entry:

Donna Summer - State of Independence

(which is a cover of a Jon and Vangelis song) that sounds like a demo compared to Donna's version.

Trivia: "Donna Summer covered Jon Anderson & Vangelis State of Independence on her 1982 album Donna Summer produced by Quincy Jones. Summers version of the song features an all-star choir including among others Michael Jackson, Brenda Russell, James Ingram, Dionne Warwick, Kenny Loggins, Lionel Richie and Stevie Wonder."

SuomiDude

There's couple of good ones to choose from Garage Inc. Metallica outperformed the original at least on Turn the Page, Astronomy and Whiskey in the Jar. Haven't listened to the rest of the original songs to say if the covers are better or not.

at work so no youtubes posts, but...

Think of them what you want, but White Lion's cover of Golden Earring's Radar Love is way better then the original.

Also, Glenn Tipton (one of Judad Priest's guitarists) released a solo album during the down time between Painkiller and Jugulator. Its pretty good, and one of the highlights is a cover of Paint it Black which I feel is at least as good as the original.

Machine

Two people mention the song Superstar but neither mentions the best cover of that song. The song was originally by Delaney and Bonnie. The Carpenters cover is the best (although the Sonic Youth version is pretty cool too).

FnordChan

Also, Glenn Tipton (one of Judad Priest's guitarists) released a solo album during the down time between Painkiller and Jugulator. Its pretty good, and one of the highlights is a cover of Paint it Black which I feel is at least as good as the original.

I dunno if it's quite up there with the original but, yeah, Tipton's cover of "Paint it Black" is pretty darn good! Thanks for the heads up on that one.

Two people mention the song Superstar but neither mentions the best cover of that song. The song was originally by Delaney and Bonnie. The Carpenters cover is the best (although the Sonic Youth version is pretty cool too).

I'd never heard the Delaney and Bonnie original and had always thought the song was by The Carpenters. That said, I think Rita Coolidge's rendition from Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs and Englishmen tour tops 'em both.

FnordChan

Birdy - Skinny Love

ibhtZz7jgiSGm7.gif

FnordChan

61rur91c0JL.jpg

Here's an entire album full of versions that are as good as if not better than the originals: Zombie Zombie Plays John Carpenter. Check out "The Bank Robbery" (from Escape From New York), "Escape From L.A.", "Assault on Precinct 13", and "The Thing". And, while I can't find the studio version, here's a live rendition of their version of the theme from Halloween, with help from Alan Howarth!

Also, for another great version of the Halloween theme, dig the Secret Chiefs 3 version. Those guys destroy that song live and it's completely awesome.

Finally, the best cover I've discovered recently - and one that I think really does surpass the original - is Sally Whitwell's version of "Wichita Vortex Sutra" from her album of solo piano music by Philip Glass. It's not a radical departure from the original, but the execution is top notch, especially when she really kicks out the minimalist jams and cranks up the speed about halfway through.

FnordChan

Fuchsdh

These ones are my favorite.

Pixies- Head On: Jesus & Mary Chain cover. I love this fucking song so much.

Galaxie 500- Ceremony: New Order/Joy Division cover.

Nirvana- Molly's Lips: Vaseline's cover.

Devo- (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction: Cover of the Stones song.

The Feelies- Everybody's Got Something to Hide (Except for Me and My Monkey): Makes a White Album gag song a lot more tolerable.

I don't understand why so many people like these dramatically slowed down versions of songs. I was cringing when I heard the tempo they gave "Ceremony", and what's the point of Mad World when you strip out all the percussion and slow it down? Even "Hurt" only manages to make a great song separate from the original; 99 times out of a 1000 the performer would have just ended up with the wannabe "soulful" rendition.

Absolutely, this cover blows away the original. There is so much energy and pathos and raw honesty with the tone Shatner brings into it.

I have shown this to roughly 7 people and not one of them prefers the original. They are very different, in that the cover is meant to be in stark contrast to the more dream like tempo and presence of the original, and I do really like the original, but thems the breaks. Shatners versions works a lot better on repeat listens, where as the original takes forever. There are some sublime moments in the song, but the awkward almost signing/talking gets in the way as it trips over the more conversational dialogue (which is where the cover side steps the issue by having Shatner literally talk and Ben Folds belt it out in full song) and never really ends on a proper denouement of the song, it either needs to rip open more or go more subdued, but as it stands the song just feels like it awkwardly draws to a close without much to say for itself.

Pulps Common People is a near miss of a song, and some people may even believe that the Shatner cover is aiming at a lower common denominator, but it executes better than the original ever did.

Definitely agree, and the album that's on ("Has Been") has some really great tracks on it, probably helped by the fact that Ben Folds produced it.

"Near miss" is a good descriptor for the Pulp song, and I think those are the kind of songs that are ripe for covers--if you're trying to cover a well-known song you either try for your own flavor and risk removing the qualities people enjoyed about it, or otherwise make it so rote that you might not as well bother.

I'm quite fond of the Len "Kids in America" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn7zPdizrqk) over the original Kim Wilde (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hWZqllm3mQ) because as great as Wilde's voice is, the song's dragged down by its quissisential bad 80s instrumentation and a much more polished electronic sound suits it I think. No one remembers the cover except that it was apparently in a Digimon movie, so there you go.

Johnny Cash - Hurt

Noooooooo! It's really good, but the original is still the best.

I'd have to go with:

Disturbed - Land of Confusion
Marilyn Manson - Tainted Love
Marilyn Manson - Personal Jesus
Marilyn Manson - Sweet Dreams
Marilyn Manson - You're So Vain feat. Johnny Depp
koRn - Word Up

...and I'm going to get flamed for this one, but I also kind of like koRn's Another Brick in the Wall better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom