• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I thought the series did an excellent job of riding that razors edge between nostalgia 89's movie homage while also being authentic and natural with how the characters spoke, interacted, and the whole world in general. It was just movie like to really give it that special kind of magic even if it was a horror scifi series but also had a huge beating heart at the core of it all that made all the characters believable and loveable at that. Even that douche Steve Harrington has a couple of great moments.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
heres something that bothered me. Near the end (episode 7 or 8 not sure)
when the kids are escaping on bikes, Dustin is using a headset to talk to Lucas on his walkie talkie.
I dont think that existed in the 80s >_>

Elitist1945

heres something that bothered me. Near the end (episode 7 or 8 not sure)
when the kids are escaping on bikes, Dustin is using a headset to talk to Lucas on his walkie talkie.
I dont think that existed in the 80s >_>

I saw him wearing an antenna so perhaps the headset what just plugged into the walkie talkie? Or do you mean the headset itself

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I finally was able to sit down and watch the first episode. Holy crap it pulled me right in. The praise for the music was spot on! It is downright fantastic.

HStallion

With Eleven... well being 11 I do kind of wonder
If there were ten other kids/people before her that had similar powers or were somehow gifted in a supernatural manner?

strafer

They exist everywhere today if you look around long enough

In 80s movies they did. As Cracked once put it, for a decade, nerds were the most persecuted minority in America. Those guys in particular went full Cobra Kai by that point.

He also interrupted Mike and Elle's first near-kiss. He's honing his skill at moment-killing.

1) Those were classic 80s Film Bullies.

2) Bullies "like that" still exist.

Yeah, guess I dont pay that much attention.

Also, the dad is this guy, I knew I recognised him.

tumblr_inline_n279vmcCuG1sxpdwo.png

Guy from The Lost World who fucks with Ian Goldblum.

kai3345

Banned
Just finished the first episode. Loved the atmosphere of the whole thing. Really nailed the 80s small-town scifi feel

~Kinggi~

Banned
I think the USD is more related to Cold War tensions:

Nukes went off, nuclear winter, toxic air, etc. Mutated people.

this is actually a legit good idea that i can see being a main focus in future seasons, and therefore enabling them to continue using what they built in season 1.

HStallion

Oh wow. This would actually be amazing if true. I could totally see this being the case.

It could explain certain aspects but
nuclear fallout/winter usually doesn't entail people turning into freakish bullet proof monsters that can jump through the veil between realities. Seems more like something out of the movie Constantine where the other world is a dark murky monster filled reflection of the real world. Not saying its Hell but its a hellish place

Wollan

Finished watching it. That was great. Winona Ryder and pretty much the whole cast did a great job.

I thought it was a triumph in actually presenting us with a
supernatural element ultimately rooted in sci-fi
that felt fresh. Every idea seems overdone these days but this was new.
Family being haunted by a dimension-shifting alien. I loved how the actual portals were organic in nature as well.

nuclear fallout/winter usually doesn't entail people turning into freakish bullet proof monsters that can jump through the veil between realities. Seems more like something out of the movie Constantine where the other world is a dark murky monster filled reflection of the real world. Not saying its Hell but its a hellish place
Metro has the Dark Ones and mutations that somehow grow wings and such, so in the realm of science fiction, nuclear radiation is practically magic

HStallion

Metro has the Dark Ones and mutations that somehow grow wings and such, so in the realm of science fiction, nuclear radiation is practically magic

I'm also taking into account how the Upside Down is basically modeled entirely after the real world even down to things like Barb being in Steve's pool after she is dragged to the otherside and much the same Will's fort in the woods is basically the same as the real world version aside of course from the darkness, cold and other aspects inherent to the Upside Down world.

Wollan

Most memorable scene to me:
When the wall caves out for the first time as the mother is checking out Will's room.
Me and my gf both went 'Holy shit' at that. Expected something to happen but that was extra cool/creepy.

Timeaisis

Episode one was great. That's how to start a show, man. Gets right into it.

Looking forward to the rest, trying to savor it over a week like.

Mr. Hyde

Ahhhhhhh! This show was amazing.

I really love that they went down the Lovecraft path due to how much of a nerd I was for his work in the 90s. I also love movies such as From Beyond and The Mist. Parallel universes sitting on top of ours full of creepy monsters flying and walking about is such a cool paranoid concept.

Potential hopes for the 'sequel':
Since Will should hopefully have a big role if it's still the central cast, I hope it deals with him kind of shifting back and forth from his humanity to possibly mutating into a monster like that. I would love to see his friends and him struggle to keep him from changing. He would have to be a good actor to really pull that off. I also hope to see more of what the sheriff knows since he got out of the mess he was in pretty easily. Didn't they say he was a city cop before? Maybe he was involved with something even more serious than just being a regular cop.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Man i marathoned this show in such a short time it was basically all i did and now im going through a weird withdrawel. :(

neoism

on the second ep now and wooow this show is really well done! really decent child actors most of the time they usually act really wooden!
also loving the title credits the music has an awesome tron vibe.

strafer

The actress playing EL is very talented. She show so much emotion with so few words.

Those kids will have bright future.

I'm probably in the minority but I'm not actually feeling the soundtrack. Not to say it's bad but I guess for something that is tapping into the 80s ET/Goonies/etc. nostalgia I was hoping for a more traditional orchestral soundtrack like you would've got from movies of that era. In a weird way the synthwave music is almost the most anachronistic part of the show for me in the sense that it immediately betrays any idea of this actually being a product of the 80s.

HStallion

I'm probably in the minority but I'm not actually feeling the soundtrack. Not to say it's bad but I guess for something that is tapping into the 80s ET/Goonies/etc. nostalgia I was hoping for a more traditional orchestral soundtrack like you would've got from movies of that era. In a weird way the synthwave music is almost the most anachronistic part of the show for me in the sense that it immediately betrays any idea of this actually being a product of the 80s.

The synth sound was pretty big in the 80's and was a huge part of some of the classics of the era so I'm not sure what you're getting at with how it doesn't fit.

The synth sound was pretty big in the 80's and was a huge part of some of the classics of the era so I'm not sure what you're getting at with how it doesn't fit.

I guess I mean that most of the movies of the era the series is aping, at least from a mood standpoint (ET, Goonies, as mentioned), tended have more traditional orchestral/symphonic soundtracks, regardless of the popularity of synth elements in popular music of the time. To be clear, I'm not saying there's anything objectivity bad about the soundtrack. Just that it is the biggest thing that sticks out to me in not capturing the Spielberg mood that it seems to be going for.

I feel the exact way, about the soundtrack being anachronistic. But i really really like it.

HStallion

I guess I mean that most of the movies of the era the series is aping, at least from a mood standpoint (ET, Goonies, as mentioned), tended have more traditional orchestral/symphonic soundtracks, regardless of the popularity of synth elements in popular music of the time. To be clear, I'm not saying there's anything objectivity bad about the soundtrack. Just that it is the biggest thing that sticks out to me in not capturing the Spielberg mood that it seems to be going for.

With all the shout outs to John Carpenter through the show I think they were going more for him than they were Spielberg. Carpenter was the king of moody synth soundtracks for many of his movies, some of which are actually being watched by characters in the show.

You're killing me yo. Let me dream!
But to be fair, the government created a psychic capable of communicating/spying long distances by using the astral plane or whatever, and who can interact with beings from another dimension; even capable of tearing space and time itself, creating a door to another universe. If humans can make that, then nuclear fallout can mutate people into Lovecraftian, cosmos spanning creatures.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The actress playing EL is very talented. She show so much emotion with so few words.

Those kids will have bright future.

The girl who plays Eleven reminds me a whole lot of a younger Natalie Portman and I could definitely see her career going down a similar path. She's great.

(the other kids aren't half bad either!)

Top Bottom