• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just got to episode 6 and its excellent so far. People say its a nostalgia trap but I say its an excellent period piece that captures the mood, tone and life style back then far better than most other attempts to in the last decade. Its a damned good show on top of that but damn, they are really knocking it out of the park. A lot of it just feels very natural, especially for the time period, even the derogatory stuff the kids use to make fun of one another, its gross but authentic in that sense.

So unless they really drop the ball in the last few episodes this is already a better show than 90 percent of the Netflix made shows and that includes Dare Devil, Jessica Jones and so on.

Edit: Also the soundtrack is a huge love letter to John Carpenter and I love it.

squadr0n

stumbled on to this show last night and I cant stop watching. Its soo good! Best original Netflix show since the first season of House of Cards. The Marvel stuff is good but this is much better imo. Netflix has been killing it since they started doing original programming.

The Music alone is perfect. The opening theme is straight out of a John Carpenter film.

I really hope this show gets the recognition it deserves. I dont know if they could do a second season and still keep what is so special about this season but if they have a good idea then ill be there day one.

If you havent watched it yet do yourself a favor and check it out. Its a great mash up of The Goonies and John Carpenter's Horror films of the 80s. Has a great Spielberg feel that JJ Abrams tried to recreate with his period piece Super 8. Super 8 is probably the closest thing to this series.

Skinpop

just finished watching the last episode. Best thing about the show was the likable cast of kids(I usually hate kids in movies or shows). I didn't care much for the story and thought most episodes were boring/too long but it was still a decent series with a few nice moments.

HStallion

I really like how most of the characters actually get to do something, even minor side ones like the science teacher do their part.

Spoilers Ep8:
So El is alive, right? Otherwise the whole putting out food thing wouldn't make any sense, unless I missed something.

The actress playing El is crazy good for her age. All the child actors are.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Spoilers Ep8:
So El is alive, right? Otherwise the whole putting out food thing wouldn't make any sense, unless I missed something.

The actress playing El is crazy good for her age. All the child actors are.

Could be hope. Could be a tribute. Its one of those things left to interpretation.

Thoughts/speculation on the USD:

So does anyone else think the universe the monster was in originally started out like the show's universe? As in full of people and not looking like Silent Hill. I'm thinking something similar happened in the USD that brought the monster there (either on its own, or another child psychic), but that world ended up being destroyed. I'd imagine if it was a bunch of universes over, El would've never made contact with it, but since it was already "right next door", shit ended up hitting the fan much easier. If this turns out to be the case, I'd love if there were some human survivors in the USD that show up in a potential season 2.

HStallion

So does anyone else think the universe the monster was in originally started out like the show's universe? As in full of people and not looking like Silent Hill. I'm thinking something similar happened in the USD that brought the monster there (either on its own, or another child psychic), but that world ended up being destroyed. I'd imagine if it was a bunch of universes over, El would've never made contact with it, but since it was already "right next door", shit ended up hitting the fan much easier. If this turns out to be the case, I'd love if there were some human survivors in the USD that show up in a potential season 2.

This doesn't take into account that the Upside Down seems to be an exact replica of the regular world including Wills Fort in the woods. I guess it's possible that it had its own history but it seems like a shadowy mirror of the real world

Haemi

Man, i liked this. They almost nailed the 80s stuff perfectly.

The egg shaped thing in the other dimension?

They followed the blood from the house to the library, but the monster appeared at the school. Is there more than one monster?

Need answers!

What can I say about this show that doesn't sound like hyperbole? Nothing. I loved it too much for that.

Now where can I buy this poster:

strangerthingsposter.jpg

HStallion

Man, i liked this. They almost nailed the 80s stuff perfectly.

The egg shaped thing in the other dimension?

They followed the blood from the house to the library, but the monster appeared at the school. Is there more than one monster?

Need answers!

I think a lot of that is left up to interpretation by the viewers. I'm more curious about
the scene with Will at the very end puking up the slug creature.

Just finished this and I can't get over how much I love this show. The kids were all fantastic in their roles. Loved El's performance the most. Can't wait for the next season.

I think the USD is more related to Cold War tensions:

Nukes went off, nuclear winter, toxic air, etc. Mutated people.

I had heard basically nothing about this show. I think I saw a thumbnail for a trailer. I watched the first episode this morning. Then the second. And the third. And the fourth. Just taking a break now to prep food and then will probably watch the rest of it tonight. It is so excellent.

HStallion

I kind of wished they had released this during October. Would have been a great series to watch leading up to Halloween

strafer

Love the Michael Myers mention. In that universe the movie has been out for three years and already gaining popularity.

Tabarin

Banned
Just binge watched the show with my girlfriend.

This is just amazing, in every level imaginable.

The acting (dear god where did they find so many talented kids?!), the story, the pacing, the art direction and OMFG the music! Asise from all the 80s glory, all that synthwave epicness.

Seriously, Netflix does it yet again!

I've watched the first 2 episodes... Fantastic so far and I am so interested in what is going on! And the original music is amazing!

Elitist1945

Ive been binge watching this and I always think an episodes about to end but then the intro credits start. I love this show.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Ep8: Any theories on why Chief Hopper
got into the black government vehicle?

Just finished the show and I thought it was great.

Rootbeer

Banned
This show really lived up to its premise and the initial trailer I thought. Wonderful cast, captures the 80's really well for the most part, great score and song selection, pretty satisfying overall story with hooks for future stuff.

Wish they would have gone full 80s and used less CGI on the monster stuff. Would have really added to the impact for me.

Glad everyone else is enjoying it too!

~Kinggi~

Banned
Just finished this. It was really phenomenal. New top-tier Netflix show. So many nostalgia moments. And it ended so emotionally well, i was able to feel shit.

Scenes actually reminded me a lot of Looper, and then you mix in ET and with a bit of Goonies, and then an 80s carpenter horror movie. Thats basically this show. And it was made for basically kids 12 and up, making them feel like they were able to sneak into an R-rated movie.

Man i really wanna know about
if EL is still alive somewhere and what is the deal with Will and the new slug monster and shit, and the Chief, he clearly knows secretzzz

So many freaking question

1)
what the hell are those slugs

2)
what happened to el?

3)
what happen to the sheriff is he leaving food for el and why dd he leave with the CIA

4)
IS THAT WILL OR A FAKE WILL?

Follow up!

Winona fucking Ryder as Joyce: fucking floored me holy shit, she was electric. I was legit not ready for her performance in this series. Like I knew she could bring it but once she is set on her characters path and her ability to move between mental states and be both a real human being with complex emotions and not one note was amazing.

That scene at the house, with all the lights flashing, music, her being surrounded by the lamps and John coming home to found her just a mess was hard and the Christmas lights, her trying to convince others that she wasn't a loon and then finally getting in contact with Will after being lost, was heart breaking.

This show better get noticed and hyped so she can be recognized for a emmy.

The kids were a breath of fresh air and yeah some of there actions and scenes were a bit cliche but it worked and the actors did a great job with the material. Big things for them for sure after this and hopefully more from them in this story or sequel would be perfect.

EL character was pitch perfect.

Everything felt right, sounded right(that dark synth and mood yum), looked right and was clearly made with love and care for this type of series.

Great job by the cast all around (Though i do think that Barbara story line could have been either left out or changed to have more impact and meaning)

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
we usually hear about Netflix show renewals pretty quick right?

Yeah, pretty quickly. Got Bloodlines announcement a few weeks after it's S2 debut

Wish Netflix would have allocated it's budget to something else but hey, they like to give their original programming closure - it's commendable

jmood88

I really like how most of the characters actually get to do something, even minor side ones like the science teacher do their part.
The science teacher is great. I
thought he was going to die after he talked to the government people but I'm glad he got another chance to help out.

strafer

Episode 4 Spoilers!
Man fuck those bullies something fierce. Their best friend died and they went on like crazy.

Love when El made him piss himself though. REVENGE!

I wasn't alive back then but did bullies like that exist?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
thought he was going to die after he talked to the government people but I'm glad he got another chance to help out.

Dustin
cockblocking him hard with that phonecall tho
;_;

Sean C

I wasn't alive back then but did bullies like that exist?
In 80s movies they did. As Cracked once put it, for a decade, nerds were the most persecuted minority in America. Those guys in particular went full Cobra Kai by that point.

Dustin
cockblocking him hard with that phonecall tho
;_;
He also interrupted Mike and Elle's first near-kiss. He's honing his skill at moment-killing.

icespide

Banned
when he was talking to the chief during the search party I was kind of worried they were gonna go down a plot of abuse suspicion but I'm glad they didn't

Top Bottom