• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I only just watched the intro and I gotta say. Pretty damn good start. I haven't read anything in here but I really love the style to everything.

uniform

Yep, same way in 7th grade. Literally went to a middle school party in 7th grade. Came home after midnight. Different time.

For me it was the early to mid-eighties. It wasn't the same for every friend. My friends that were upper middle class had to be home earlier (before dark), while myself and another group of friends living on welfare and/or in single parent homes were allowed out until 11pm on school nights.

That's not to suggest this was the case for every child living in poverty, or that single parents living in poverty care less about their children's safety, it was just my experience growing up with friends in two completely different situations. From what I see, today is so far removed from that time in regards to parenting, I think even the parents of the upper middle class friends I had would be considered reckless by today's standards.

I have not started this show yet, but this thread is really getting me excited to see it.

HStallion

Just finished the first episode. Can I say is woah. Is this one of the first films or movies in a long long time to really emulate the greats of the 80's and early 90's? I rarely say I'm impressed by a starter episode but the way everything in the show is handled from the old style panning letters of the title after the intro ends to the kids and families actually acting and sounding like kids and families from the era in just enough of a stylized fashion to it and a good amount of random jump scares and shocking moments. Bravo. Even gets the awkward teenage romance down fairly decently.

HStallion

Liking the little lingering moments on the many different characters, even
the two cops gossiping about the sheriff during the search.
Gotta say all the characters feel individual and unique and totally apart of the world.

Question about the Russian:
That was supposed to be Eleven walking in the Astral Plane and trying to get to Russia, right? I mean, this whole project did in earnest start as a Cold War thing.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Towards the end of Episode 1 and beginning of 2, end of 2. I dunno I don't pay attention lol.

Dude...episode number outside the spoiler tag so people know if they can click it or not lol

Question about the Russian:
That was supposed to be Eleven walking in the Astral Plane and trying to get to Russia, right? I mean, this whole project did in earnest start as a Cold War thing.

Yes.
She reached so far that she kinda went TOO far, into another dimension :p

carlsojo

EL IS BEST GIRL Episode 4
I need a gif of her wiping her nose after making that shithead piss himself.

Also are parents in this era terrible or like are the kids just that good at sneaking around?

Episode 7

giphy.gif

So, Peter's turned out to be a pretty decent guy. And holy crap the shot of Barb was nightmare fuel. Also, Lando Calrissian.

"You always say we should never stop being curious. To always open any curiosity door we find. Why are you keeping this curiosity door locked?"

That got a good chuckle out of me.

--

Is it wrong that the opening gives me an erection everytime?

On episode 4 now.
No, my friend. That's a perfectly normal reaction.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Sorry guys, I will make sure to be better about it in the future.

Its fine dude, it was just ep1 stuff anyway. Just thought your complete lack of spoiler etiquette knowledge was funny :D

What? Dustin's the best kid!

Dustin at first annoyed the hell out of me. By the end of the series I fucking loved the well meaning idiot.

EL IS BEST GIRL Episode 4
I need a gif of her wiping her nose after making that shithead piss himself.

Also are parents in this era terrible or like are the kids just that good at sneaking around?

We had a ton of freedom back then. Kids in small towns like this show had even more. Just a different time.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So I just finished episode 5.

Spoilers for up to the end of Episode 5.

Has anyone else mentioned that this seems like a prequel to
Warhammer 40K
?

First tests done on the first recorded Psyker, Eleven, that taps into a power coming from the upside down dimension, The Immaterium, which also contains daemons that can come into The Materium through rips.

Stranger Things ->
Event Horizon
->
Warhammer 40K

CDX

First time I've finished a Netflix season in less than 24 hours.

I loved the show and felt it had a satisfying ending. The pacing for all 8 episodes in the season felt great to me, with none of the episodes feeling like filler episodes. For streaming services I wish more shows would be flexible with the number of episodes, not every story needs a perfect even 13 episodes.

Rhaknar

First time I've finished a Netflix season in less than 24 hours.

I loved the show and felt it had a satisfying ending. The pacing for all 8 episodes in the season felt great to me, with none of the episodes feeling like filler episodes. For streaming services I wish more shows would be flexible with the number of episodes, not every story needs a perfect even 13 episodes.

Go tell Jessica Jones that (and to a lesser extent DD) :(

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Two episodes in. I like it but it's so badly shot. The editing and cinematography are so borderline bad. I'll make it through but it could have been so much better. The story is very typical of these kinds of things so far.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Two episodes in. I like it but it's so badly shot. The editing and cinematography are so borderline bad. I'll make it through but it could have been so much better. The story is very typical of these kinds of things so far.

Some of the transition changes with music are amazing.

Couldn't disagree more, but it is shot in a very odd aspect ratio.

Jzero

Finished episode 8 and i'm still so confused about the creature.

Does it live alone in the parallel universe
?

What does it eat on its side
?

I can't believe Nancy stayed with Steve 🙅

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I don't think a previous Netflix original show has drawn me in so quickly. Right now I just want to marathon the remaining episodes asap. I just really like it so far, I hope it stays great the whole 8 episodes.

Same. I've watched the first three and am already totally hooked. Think I'll watch one more tonight and then finish up tomorrow. This'll be the fastest I've ever blown through a Netflix series!

Rhaknar

What is the thread title in reference to anyway?

icespide

Banned
hollleeeeee sheeeeeeeit this show ticks all my fucking boxes. that synth wave soundtrack. John carpenter + Spielberg + goonies + so much 80s nostalgia.

that intro gives me a huge boner every time I see it

Episode 8

That was a great end to an amazing series.
The fight with the monster was awesome. The walk through Silent Hill the other dimension was dope, El was a bad ass. Just a great episode all around.

So, I don't think Will is just like El. I think the alien slug thing, which most likely came from that egg, was in his system so long that his body acquired some of its dimension hopping capabilities.

I'm really glad to see that El is most likely still alive. The chief leaving eggos along with the rest of the food alludes to that. Also, I wonder what kind of deal chief has going with the government. It's gotta be more than just not talking about everything that went down.

--

This is without a doubt my favorite Netflix original. It was damn near flawless in its execution. The music/audio was amazing, the pacing was really good, the acting was great across the board, with the kids being the standouts, the story they told was incredibly engaging; just everything was really well done.

My only complaint is that I have no more episodes to watch. Sure, more episodes would be nice, but the fact that they were able to wrap things up in eight episodes without it feeling rushed is something to be applauded.

Maaan, I will be incredibly disappointed if there is no second season. I need more of this in my life. Don't let me down, Netflix.

Palmer_v1

Just episode 8 left to go. Goddamn this soundtrack is great. The sound in general is phenomenal.

My only tiny complaint is some of the special effects being not quite big screen quality.

Finished episode 8 and i'm still so confused about the creature.

Does it live alone in the parallel universe
?

What does it eat on its side
?

I can't believe Nancy stayed with Steve 🙅

They left a good chunk for season two.

Top Bottom