• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

I saw episode 1. It feels a bit too much like a pastiche but I am enjoying it so far. Especially liked the credits sequence.

I hope they keep up that 80s carpenter soundtrack.

Also man its strange to see cleary from the knick be such a good dude

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Only seen the first episode so far, but this shit is awesome! Love the 80s Spielberg vibe, they totally nailed it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Just marathoned all of the episodes. Winona Still has it. The child actors were great. The whole cast was great. Too bad this didn't release in time for the Emmy's.

Episode 8 - End

Okay, the ending
seriously pissed me off. From the more mundane fact that she stayed with Steve, even though he showed himself to not be as terrible as his friends. Then comes the part about Eleven. Is she completely gone? The Chief was putting eggos and food into that drop box, I assume it was a drop box?
Then the last scene hits you. I was wondering if that thing with the tentacle being in Will's mouth along with the thing coming out of Barbera's mouth would come back. So his has upside down creatures coming out of his mouth and he is apparently still a flea unwittingly capable of shifting between the two dimensions. Fuck.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Question about the Russian:
That was supposed to be Eleven walking in the Astral Plane and trying to get to Russia, right? I mean, this whole project did in earnest start as a Cold War thing.

Two applications. One: They could spy on the Russians without them knowing it. All the stuff he was saying was coming out of their mics. 2: It's probable that they would see if she could kill people remotely.

So, I don't think Will is just like El. I think the alien slug thing, which most likely came from that egg, was in his system so long that his body acquired some of its dimension hopping capabilities.

It's alluded
that El became that way invitro because of the experiments and drugs. I think Will is still a flea and possibly regurgitating God knows what.

I didn't enjoy it that much. Elements were good and I liked the 80s vibe, but I was hoping there would be a bigger variety of weird things going on in that town. So much so that it'd tie into the title (ie "there are stranger things" or something).

But hey, it was good besides that.

Also: The MK Ultra stuff was CIA sanctioned, so you can bet they were hoping for typical espionage and black ops uses.

jerry113

Banned
This series is like an episode of The X-Files - except there is no Mulder & Scully, but only the local townsfolk to figure things out for themselves.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This show is fucking fantastic. God damn. I can't not finish this show in one day.

Hamlet

Just finished it. Such a fantastic show. Everything about it was done so well from the tone, to the acting, soundtrack and pacing. Pretty much the perfect Netflix show in making you want to keep binging it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Oh god this episode has New Order - Elegia in it. Best show.

Just finished it all in one sitting, what a show!

Lots of influences left, right and centre but very much it's own story. Great soundtrack, good acting, good characters with decent backstories and some really interesting ideas that could carry on to more seasons.

It felt like a long movie, a really top quality one.

Gotta love Netflix!

Grazzt

This show is awesome!!! Binge watched 7 episodes. Gonna finish it tonight.
My favorite character is definitely Joyce. Didn't like Nancy at first, but she becomes my second favorite.
Edit: Also love the cop.

That's so great. Just watched 4 episodes in a row, stopped to eat something and I'm already starting episode 5.

I love everything (music, costumes, atmosphere, etc.) about this show so much, the story could be terrible, I'd still watch it.

I am already at Ep. 8, but not really a spoiler.

Why the hell do they use shitty CGI instead of a practicle monster?

It looks terrible.

No it doesn't. Stop setting the bar to Avatar territory, seriously.

It looks totally fine.

No it doesn't, atleast for me. I don't set the bar to Avatar territory, lol.

I just don't get why they don't use some dude in a costume, especially since the monster doesn't do anything fence. CGI doesn't fit in the picture with the 80s setting.

Again, this is my opinion. It's okay if you're fine with it. For me, it was a distraction.

I really like how the writers subverted our expectations for the boyfriend of the female lead character. Sure he does asshole things but he isn't your typical douchebag caricature we see so often in this genre. Oh the 80's campy aesthetic is really well done.

Just marathoned it all.

What a fun show. I really enjoyed it and loved the 80s vibe of it.

I like how it (ending spoilers)
basically leaves things set up for another season without being an awful cliffhanger. Can't wait to see Will get the screen time they took from him in a season 2!

All the kids were great in this. Props to them and the main cast, really.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Anyone else find it strange that
they let the sheriff live after he infiltrated the lab and saw what he did?

I figure they did it to
help along their own investigation, hence the bug. They eliminate him they lose a vital source of info.

Geist-

Anyone else find it strange that
they let the sheriff live after he infiltrated the lab and saw what he did?
I'm assuming it would just be
unnecessary attention to kill the sheriff of the closest town to their lab. A fake suicide of a restaurant owner is one thing, but the local sheriff is kind of important.

I also felt like it was implied that the lab didn't want any of this getting out because it's their fault a portal to another dimension opened up and let a monster start kidnapping people and they don't want to take responsibility, not because the federal government itself is letting them do whatever they want. Thus they didn't want to bring too much attention from other federal authorities.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
And done. Last 2 eps didnt disapoint, fantastic show overall. Even if the ending is a tiny bit cliffhanger-y (but not really) i still think a season 2 would be a new setting, not unlike AHS/True Detective/Fargo

Geist-

And done. Last 2 eps didnt disapoint, fantastic show overall. Even if the ending is a tiny bit cliffhanger-y (but not really) i still think a season 2 would be a new setting, not unlike AHS/True Detective/Fargo
Here's what the creators say:

We wanted to do a couple things with this season. We didn’t want to do The Killing thing. We wanted it to resolve that main thing of Will going missing in the first season. So in that sense, it is like an eight-hour movie. Now, we don’t answer all the questions by the end of the season - there are definitely some dangling threads. The hope is that it feels satisfying but that we left room and that if people respond to it we can go back into this world. But if we do get to go back, it’s not a second season as much as a sequel.

Episode 7

giphy.gif

LMAO. Just saw this. I hopped on GAF just to say that this gif can finally be retired.

-griffy-

Banned
On Episode 3 right now and realized this is the Fringe replacement I've been waiting for since Fringe ended (and Almost Human wasn't given a chance to become).

Almost done with this, almost makes me sad. :( What a
lovecraftian
journey.
Yes, I'm so happy about that. It's exactly what I wanted from the show, but I never expected them to actually do it
Looks like test subjects, hope it isn't aliens. That shit always ends up underwhelming. In fact I hope they're willing to buck genre tropes.
Some Lovecraftian/cosmic horror stuff could be cool

Szeth

I shouldn't have started watching this at 11 last night. Stayed up all night to finish it, so good.

Ending
So Hopper just straight up sold out El to the government? I guess he had no other choice. I couldn't decide if the end was a sort of memorial to her because he felt bad or she was still alive on the other side and he was leaving food for her. I see other people think it's the latter, I hope so too, she's awesome.

Sean C

I watched the whole series from late afternoon yesterday until around 2 AM, which is the first time I've done that sort of thing. It's a lot more manageable with only eight episodes, obviously, and by the time you've finished the seventh episode it feels kind of pointless to stop and go back to watch the eighth the following day.

The caliber of the child actors is consistently impressive, with Millie Bobby Brown being the obvious standout.

The bike chase was well-done, though I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad that they didn't go full rip-off and have Elle make the bikes fly. The guys being so thrilled with her power display was fun, though. In general, I liked that they didn't make a huge thing out of Elle's willingness to kill people.

Poor Mike, you started making plans for the future with Elle before the villain was defeated. Classic mistake. Hold out for next season.

Steve, my man, when you showed up at the house I was sure you were fated to be fodder, but you proved to be surprisingly badass. And you still had the girl at the end (though assuming there's a second season, that's probably going to be revisited; enjoy it while it lasts).

number11

Just noticed Netflix had their own after show for this. For a show most people will binge watch I feel it's pretty pointless, but is it still worth watching?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
by the way I absolitely adored the look of the
upside down

I want more strange shows set in the 80's

I want more shows set in the 80s period. The Americans says hi

AppleMIX

Just fished it. Really hope this becomes a anthology series.

My only real complaint is that some of the CGI was poorly executed.

Top Bottom