• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

Jzero

I'm on episode 5. Pretty good so far, definitely getting X-Files + Fringe + 80's horror movie vibes

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Last episode leaves you wanting, so much. I don't think its a one and done. But I wonder where it could go from there.

I'm sort of grudgingly enjoying this. It definitely feels like the product of Netflix's nostalgia algorithm. I wouldn't be surprised if the show runner turned out to be an AI.
Honestly that's a subjective thing. I have zero nostalgia for that era or those old movies (I don't even like ET or Goonies), but man, this was one wickedly-paced show with likable characters, great acting, solid cinematography, and creepy use of sci-fi and horror elements

Kuksune

Me and my gf watched four episodes tonight and i really want to keep watching but it's 4AM now. Can't wait to watch more tomorrow!

fernoca

What a ride!
Watched the 8 epidodes, just took a break after episode 4 to make dinner.

The nostalgia and the bits reminding me of Goonies and ET got me weeks ago, yet everything was so incredibly well done.

The kids all did an excellent job. Really liked Dustin. XD

Episode 5

So it seems like the monster didn't come to or discover "our" dimension until it saw El doing whatever it was they had her doing? And Nancy; why oh why would you climb through a gunk infested, interdimensional tree trunk?

--

Elegia fits this series so perfectly.

It's like watching peak era Spielberg and Lucas from the 80s.

Everything is fucking amazing. God I love it it is like watching ET mixed with The Goonies mixed with Tales from The Darkside.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Episode 5

So it seems like the monster didn't come to or discover "our" dimension until it saw El doing whatever it was they had her doing? And Nancy; why oh why would you climb through a gunk infested, interdimensional tree trunk?

--

Elegia fits this series so perfectly.

Yeah. Im only up to episode 6 but as far as I understand,
11 was using her telepathy more and more, going farther distances each time, and as she travelled the "astral plane", "mindscape", whatever you want to call it, she went too far, into another dimension far, where she felt the creature.

Episode 6 spoiler ahead

At first I thought the creature noticed her powers like more_badass had suggested but it seems it didnt, they noticed it and decided to poke the bear. They force 11 to make contact and when she does, the shock/fear from the creature attacking her in the "mindscape" causes 11 to open a tear in reality between dimensions, which the scientists cant close obviously.

Cliffhanger question:
Hopper's totally a mole now, isn't he?

Yeah. Im only up to episode 6 but as far as I understand,
11 was using her telepathy more and more, going farther distances each time, and as she travelled the "astral plane", "mindscape", whatever you want to call it, she went too far, into another dimension far, where she felt the creature.

Episode 6 spoiler ahead

At first I thought the creature noticed her powers like more_badass had suggested but it seems it didnt, they noticed it and decided to poke the bear. They force 11 to make contact and when she does, the shock/fear from the creature attacking her in the "mindscape" causes 11 to open a tear in reality between dimensions, which the scientists cant close obviously.

Ending:
Shit, that's right. They never actually closed the gate.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Just started watching this. Gotta say, watching this and The Goldbergs, 80s small-town/suburban US seems like the best place ever to live as a child. Damn the nostalgia must kick high for those who actually lived during that time and place.

DeviantBoi

Binged it!

Loved it!

It's ET, D.A.R.Y.L., Goonies, It, X-Files, and everything that was awesome about the 80s.

I freaking love, Netflix.

I got to say, now that I've seen this, Super 8 just pales in comparison. And I'm saying this is as someone who has zero nostalgia for that era or those kinds of movies

Not exactly a high bar :p

On episode 3 currently and so so on it thus far. Finding most of the performances and general casting to be rather dull, no one in particular that stands out save for Menacing Modine and the sheriff. Pacing is alright and the handling of the paranormal jank is decent. Favorite shot so far is
when Winona is looking back at the bedroom window with the flickering lights, reminded me of the coverage in Exorcist and Poltergeist of the two "possessed" rooms.

Will plow through the rest later.

jmood88

I was wondering why the kids were just out doing whatever they felt like, then I remembered that I was a latchkey kid in the late 90's and went out with my friends all over the place when I was in elementary and middle school.

Geist-

So just finished the season. Really fucking good. A minor gripe
is that the kids show almost no reaction to Eleven making like 10 people's heads explode, but maybe they were really concerned for their friend who collapsed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Other than that, while I could see this as its own self-contained story that's simply done, I really fucking hope this gets a season 2. Does anyone know if they plan to expand it eventually?

BlueTsunami

I was wondering why the kids were just out doing whatever they felt like, then I remembered that I was a latchkey kid in the late 90's and went out with my friends all over the place when I was in elementary and middle school.

Yep, same way in 7th grade. Literally went to a middle school party in 7th grade. Came home after midnight. Different time.

So just finished the season. Really fucking good. A minor gripe
is that the kids show almost no reaction to Eleven making like 10 people's heads explode, but maybe they were really concerned for their friend who collapsed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Other than that, while I could see this as its own self-contained story that's simply done, I really fucking hope this gets a season 2. Does anyone know if they plan to expand it eventually?

According to Modine it's already been picked up for a second...

Though Netflix has yet to confirm.

The end of episode 3. Holy shit. Everyone needs to stop whatever plans they had this weekend and fit in time for this show. I started yelling at my tv because this show is fucking GOOD SHIT.

With The Night Of, Mr. Robot, and this, the summer tv season is in great hands.

BlueTsunami

Fuck. If the show dropped this seasons thread id be equally furious yet i would understand. I want clarification, but maybe not. This series is made for new threads in general.

From the same article:

We don’t even know officially that we’ve got a Season 2, but we are very hopeful, and we built the show so that we can pivot right into a second adventure.

Promising to hear it's not self contained though.

Tangentially was just reminded of Spielberg's produced tv series "Amazing Stories", pretty much a Twilight Zone/Outer Limits lite from the late 80s. Curious if the creators took any nods from those.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Me and my friends would spend hours in the woods with absolutely no supervision. That would be unheard of nowadays.

Well...I mean, if you wanna go there, and I mean this with no disrespect to the parents/gaffers, but we already had how many posts asking if this was safe for kids?

Meanwhile, I (and probably these same gaffers lol) was watching Robocop or Poltergeist when I was like 6 or 7. Its just a different world these days.

Well...I mean, if you wanna go there, and I mean this with no disrespect to the parents/gaffers, but we already had how many posts asking if this was safe for kids?

Meanwhile, I (and probably these same gaffers lol) was watching Robocop or Poltergeist when I was like 6 or 7. Its just a different world these days.

You had the cool parents, had to wait till I was almost a damn teen to watch R-rated anything :/

Well, save for Schindler's List cause "edumacational"

Rhaknar

You had the cool parents, had to wait till I was almost a damn teen to watch R-rated anything :/

Well, save for Schindler's List cause "edumacational"

Robocop and Poltergeist were rated PG lol. Fucking Robocop had kids toys. Like I said, different world back then.

Edit: wait wasnt Poltergeist like the first pg-13 movie or something? Still, not R :3

Rhaknar

I meant Robocop, which is absolutely rated R. I discovered Poltergeist later on though.

Was Robocop R back then? Thought it was another in the "this really shouldn't be PG" list from those days. Still, you know what I meant :p

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Finished and I'm glad it was just 8 episodes so it wouldn't drag with filler

Ending spoilers:
Goddamitt Nancy wyd #TeamJonathan

Was Robocop R back then? Thought it was another in the "this really shouldn't be PG" list from those days. Still, you know what I meant :p

For sure, though I think it applied more to raunchy comedies in that period where you'd see more liberal use of nudity at say a pg-13 vs violent fare that seemed more consistently R-rated past a certain point. From the Robocop wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RoboCop#Rating

The movie was originally given an X rating by the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) in 1987 due to its graphic violence, in sharp contrast to most other X-rated movies that received the rating due to strong sexual content.

So yeah, def never below an R lol.

ShaneB

Was really interested the second I first watched a little bit of the trailer a couple weeks ago.

Loved the 80s setting and knew I'd be hooked.

Watched 4 episodes amd love it. Had no idea the soundtrack would be mainly synthwave as well. Fantastic stuff.

Top Bottom