• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
No, it's
ET + Firestarter + The Mist + Poltergeist + a little Alien and Under The Skin

All the things that arent the ET/Goonies kids aspect can be linked to the x-men.
Hell the monster is straight out of that old ass issue with a demon stalking kitty pryde in the mansion! Not to mention the obvious "mutant" (who is basically Rachel Grey) and the government hunting her.

Im sticking with my comic analogy damn it!

Toa TAK

Banned
Tagged everything just in case.

Finished.
Man talk about an emotional resolution. Really happy with how this turned out. They nailed the 80s aesthetic, and I must have the score to this. Great soundtrack as well. I think the way they chose to end this season was just right, a solid conclusion to the story and characters with an ominous open ending. I'm not sure if I even want a return to the story or characters featured here. Stranger Things can easily be an anthology series. But we'll see, regardless, I'll be there for what's next.

Also, 11 for lyfe. And on that note, I'm pretty happy with the way Steve was handeled, as he could've easily been the clichéd bad boyfriend but bringing in some inner conflict and the will to do some good did wonders. Lucas bugged me in that realist or skeptical characters like that usually tend to work against the movement of the story but I'm glad he came around. Sheriff was awesome through and through. Creature design was really interesting and making it look plant-like or like a Venus flytrap really helped sell the other-worldliness it had to it. Also, alternate dimensions are always very interesting to play with even if what we saw here isn't at all new.

So yeah, cool show. Want more.
I think winona ryder is the weakest link.
You're WRONG.

God this show is very good. It is a love child of all your favorite 80's film mixed with a Spielberg aesthetic. I usually hate kid actors but this shows ensemble was really charming and the cast overall is quite solid. I love how all the story plots aren't there just for filler and they converge for a singular purpose. Oh yeah, I am in love with Winona Ryder again.

Edit: I haven't finished the season yet but I hope this is an anthology, with each season being a new story and setting ala True Detective/American Horror Story.

Finished episode 3. The show is great so far, the acting, the tension, and the sound are all really good. My only gripe is that the
creature is CG,
I feel like it would have worked better with prosthetics.

Just finished

1)
So I guess that implies that Eleven is stlll alive? Trapped on the other side or something?
2)
So Will is linked with that dimension now? Or is it a body-snatcher thing, because he seemed "fine" after the scene in the bathroom

Man, that was great. The pacing was non-stop, every episode had ended on some great moment or revelation that made you just need to see the next one. The acting was excellent, especially the kids, and the show absolutely nailed its emotional beats. It was touching, compelling, creepy, and atmospheric. It juggled different genres and ideas from different aspects of sci-fi and horror, and mixed them all together in a way that worked, didn't seem forced.

Bladenic

I think winona ryder is the weakest link. Not bad... But decent compared to the rest.

I think she has the most overacting prone material so a lot of her material is talking crazy or screaming but I think she does a fine job.

Also I could not place Nancy and Mike's mom, but it's Faye Miller from Mad Men!!

Wollan

Watched the first four episodes tonight. I'm really really loving this!

80's Spielberg with an fascinating blend of sci-fi horror and the super-natural. The main mystery actually feels kinda original. Winona Ryder is doing a great job. I'm intrigued.

Epcott

Just finished myself.

The actor who played Jonathan reminds me of Norman Reedus. Winona Ryder did a great job as hysterical mom. I hope she gets nominated for something. I also hope there's a season two.

By the way
was the officer leaving the waffle and snacks out in the woods for Ele/Eleven? Or was that just his little memorial to her, since she seemingly turned to ash?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is this show too scary for a 4 year old? I usually wait to watch any of "my" shows until she's in bed.

Well theres some creepy moments, there's
a creature
, and non-gory deaths

4 year old Rhaknar wouod have watched it, but that was 1983 not 2016.

Actually 4 year old Rhaknar probably wouldn't have watched it because he wouldn't make sense of it. I dont remember my life before 6 years old more or less >_>

j_rocca42

Yeah i think it is. It can get pretty creepy.

Yeah for sure. It has some good scares and the main mystery is pretty chilling.

Probably. Some scenes and moments could be pretty intense for young kids

Well theres some creepy moments, there's
a creature
, and non-gory deaths

4 year old Rhaknar wouod have watched it, but that was 1983 not 2016.

Actually 4 year old Rhaknar probably wouldn't have watched it because he wouldn't make sense of it. I dont remember my life before 6 years old more or less >_>
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I'll have to wait until bed time. :-(

Is this show too scary for a 4 year old? I usually wait to watch any of "my" shows until she's in bed.

Yup.

The trailers don't let on to how dark this show actually is.

I mean, yeah, most of the main cast are early teens and the spine of the show is a 1980s kid adventure, but a lot of the imagery is really intense and the monster is scary as fuck. The episode four opener alone will give them nightmares.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Episode 8
monster fight scene was fucking amazing. Great use of strobe light to still obscure the monster somewhat

Ydelnae

Okay I watched the first episode before going to bed and here I am sitting on my couch finishing episode 3. This show, man. The pacing is amazing. I'm seriously loving this.

Ydelnae

Woah, that scene with the kid saying
"my dad says your queer friend was probably killed, maybe by some other fag"
just like that to Mike, Lucas and Toothless... children can be so cruel sometimes.

just like that to Mike, Lucas and Toothless... children can be so cruel sometimes.

The Stephen King vibes are strong, especially with the dialog of the kids. This series almost feels like what you'd get if you take an Amblin film and mix it with Stephen King and a dash of Koontz.

Also, haven't seen this much use(and reference) of real-life pop cultural items or products since actual 80s movies. He-Man on the television, cans of Coke, Star Wars toys, you don't really see that kind of thing in movies anymore. I'm almost reminded of Roland Emmerich's Joey/Making Contact, which had a ridiculous amount of products appearing in the movie, but there is some reality to that because, well, if you were a kid in the 80s, that's kinda the stuff you HAD. You didn't have made-up generic "Space Battle" Centurian Eagle, or Him-Guy. And because of that, like I said, it feels more genuine.

I got to say, now that I've seen this, Super 8 just pales in comparison. And I'm saying this is as someone who has zero nostalgia for that era or those kinds of movies

Episode 4

Well I'll be...

I was wrong. Will is definitely still in his body. He's just in another dimension. I'm sure of it now. Especially since he said it looks like home or something. Also, seeing the cotton come out of that body was legit creepy. I had a feeling it was fake by that point in the episode, but I wasn't expecting it to be stuffed liked that.

The child actors in this are so good. They really sell this show

Binged the entire thing and it exceeded my expectations.

Only thing I didn't like was the pacing of the final episode. Felt like a completely different show.

Just finished Ep6. Amazing intro, title card and OST. Was looking forward to this one for a while now and I'm glad it didn't disappoint. Love how layered the plot is. Sort of reminds me of Oxenfree at times.

Ep. 8 cliffhanger shit:
I like the fact that The Upside Down is not just a one-season thing. It was my main concern with a show like this, how to have weird shit keep happening to the same town and the same people.

Eleven obviously is not dead. That was telegraphed perfectly. Plus, we already know that the creature can jump dimensions at will, and either prefers to eat its prey in The Upside Down or cannot eat anything on this side. The "eggs" and the tube sucking the life out of Will seem to support the latter. We're obviously getting more information about TUD next season, as Matt Modine's supervisors will surely now come into play. They, the entire season, seemed to be more interested in parallel dimensional access than making human weapons. Even AFTER the events of the series started, they were still performing tests.

I would not be surprised if we got humans from TUD next season. If not for an explanation of how things got so incredibly fucked on that side.

As for Will's reveal at the end.... it's clear that he has a connection to TUD, and that it is because of the tube that was still inside of him when he was pulled out into our dimension, but as far as the mechanism of connection or even the purpose of the tubes (if they are for more than slow roasting), that is far too vague as of now.

But it will be interesting because now the government has a vested interest in obtaining Will. He's their new Eleven. He's Twelve.

I love that Steve is now one of the Scooby Gang. His ex-friends are going to be LOVELY villains next season. I also love how, by the end, Steve is super okay with Nancy's friendship with Jonathan, to the point of asking if he got her present.

Entire series, subtle overtones:
Of course the rampant homophobia of the 1980s, most especially emphasized in how basically everyone equated being gay with being a serial killer. I loved how we got that one line from the bullies and we knew exactly what their home life was like.

Shepard being Dr. Brenner's son.

Steve (or at least First Half Steve) reflecting Nancy's mothers choices in men.

I'm a 90s kid but watched a lot of 80s movies in my childhood - E.T., Close Encounters etc.

The nostalgia is embedded very well but not overly aggressive.

Also, discussing Season Finale spoilers,
is it suggested some of the parents are told about the girl and the interdimensional monster?

One more thing, the intro title screen and music with a lead up to the following scene through the camera episode title text zoom in each episode is fantastic. Has this been done in any other TV series?

I'm sort of grudgingly enjoying this. It definitely feels like the product of Netflix's nostalgia algorithm. I wouldn't be surprised if the show runner turned out to be an AI.

Top Bottom