• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

Finished episode 4.

This show is sooooo gooood.

Didn't hear about it until a few days ago when the internet couldn't shut up about it.

The Kids are great. Shitty child acting could have ruined this but they rock.

Just started watching this. I'm on epsiode 5. This is so god damn good. Seriously, so damn good. I've never had a show with a kid oriented cast like this that is this good.

Holy shit, I just finished episode 8. The part where
the chief has his flashback while trying to resuscitate Will
. Feels, man. Feels. That whole episode was just fucking amazing.

dn2q967zvmq0cwsb3a3p.jpg

So good

I just shared this on twitter. This is awesome!

Fantastic to see this show is quite the massive hit. This is Netflix' most successful recent show correct? I only watch this and Daredevil from them but I'd say I preferred Stranger Things over the former. It's just such an original, unique and enjoyable and entertaining show. Now that it's over I miss it and I'm anxiously awaiting season 2.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Fantastic to see this show is quite the massive hit. This is Netflix' most successful recent show correct? I only watch this and Daredevil from them but I'd say I preferred Stranger Things over the former. It's just such an original, unique and enjoyable and entertaining show. Now that it's over I miss it and I'm anxiously awaiting season 2.

We don't have official numbers since Netflix doesn't release those to the public but a couple of the major tracker sites/companies have said its up there though take those numbers with a grain of salt. I believe top three and above even shows like DD and JJ.

I don't see how it isn't. Almost everyone I know watched/is watching it and I mean that literally.

Finished this recently. I thought it was fun distraction, but overall it didn't rock my world. More of a fun 6 or 7 out of 10.

Pluses: intro, soundtrack, creepy small town atmosphere, and some impressive acting from the kids. Minuses: fairly shallow characterization (but admittedly par for the course as far as the genre is concerned), boring monster (both as a concept and creature design), paper-thin villains, mostly pointless teenage drama subplot, Winona Ryder, and some eye-rolling genre cliches.

More of the same is welcome (the potential is certainly there), but not essential.

urge26

Completely blown away. Knew nothing about this and just binged because it showed up as trending. From being creeped out, to laughing, to crying, to all those 80's feels. Well fricken done... What a short ride.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Finished this recently. I thought it was fun distraction, but overall it didn't rock my world. More of a fun 6 or 7 out of 10.

Pluses: intro, soundtrack, creepy small town atmosphere, and some impressive acting from the kids. Minuses: fairly shallow characterization (but admittedly par for the course as far as the genre is concerned), boring monster (both as a concept and creature design), paper-thin villains, mostly pointless teenage drama subplot, Winona Ryder, and some eye-rolling genre cliches.

More of the same is welcome (the potential is certainly there), but not essential.

I do think people undersell Matthew Modine's Dr. Brenner. He pulls off the super cold calculating sociopath incredibly well. Its not nearly as showy as some mustache twirling evil doer or the over the top nut job but its a lot of his subtle reactions or rather lack there of that really does a good job at that scientist going too far for his research and experiments and thinking nothing of doing horrific things to achieve his goals.
The scene immediately after Eleven flips the van speeding at her and the kids is a great example. The van is upside down and no doubt full of injured or dead subordinates of his and could even catch on fire and explode. However Brenner walks right past it without barely even looking at it, he barely even acknowledges it. Not only that but his prey had gotten away yet again but he looks so damn smugly impressed in the fact that not only is she using her powers freely but she's able to do such amazing and destructive things. He doesn't even seem to register he might be next to an imminently exploding vehicle or that he could have just lost several men. He only see's what he's after.

We don't have official numbers since Netflix doesn't release those to the public but a couple of the major tracker sites/companies have said its up there though take those numbers with a grain of salt. I believe top three and above even shows like DD and JJ.

I don't see how it isn't. Almost everyone I know watched/is watching it and I mean that literally.

Okay thanks guys for the responses! I believe that it's up there and potentially top three as everyone I know is also watching this. I've had it recommended to me by people who've seen it - it seems like it's a smash hit. Good for the show and it bodes well for future seasons. The show being above Daredevil is super impressive as Daredevil is very successful and did very well for Netflix. If Stranger Things is above it, it must be doing exceptionally well.

Hopefully the show runs for multiple seasons. I'm really looking forward to season 2.

I've been disconnected from ST fandom since I watched the show a month ago. Has there been any Emmy buzz around this show from the media? I specifically ask about Eleven's actress. She's phenomenal and, I think, Emmy material right there!

Too bad this show launched a bit too late for this year's Emmys. If they get any nominations we'd have to wait until September 2017!

Nodnol

Finished up tonight. Superb.

I love the celebration of 80's pop culture, and the heavy influences of King, Spielberg, Carpenter etc.

Most of all, I loved the young characters. Whilst the world around them was suitably delivered, particularly Ryder, they delivered so well that it had such a strong Goonies feel to it. There's a wonderful sense of naivety in the face of danger, a courage born from friendship and ignorance. The story itself is crafted with a real sense of danger, wonder and intrigue.

I'm happy with it ending how it did (very good finale), but I would like more if they can treat it with the same attention to detail and love they crafted this with.

Spoilers in general below, episode 8 particularly...

I really thought they'd tease El's whereabouts. I don't thinks she's dead, but I'm
glad they swerved a happy ending with her being adopted or whatever. She was truly awsome at times (mainly when she was hurting bad men).

There's obviously the spawn to worry about too.

I'd love the second series to jump ahead 8-10 years. Draw upon influences from It, where the characters have made a pact to return if they need to, and also touch on horror classics like Halloween and Elm Street, where the relevant boogie man is a local myth or legend. A whole new world of pop culture to draw upon too, but then maybe the 80's setting was part of the charm.

Finished up tonight. Superb.

I love the celebration of 80's pop culture, and the heavy influences of King, Spielberg, Carpenter etc.

Most of all, I loved the young characters. Whilst the world around them was suitably delivered, particularly Ryder, they delivered so well that it had such a strong Goonies feel to it. There's a wonderful sense of naivety in the face of danger, a courage born from friendship and ignorance. The story itself is crafted with a real sense of danger, wonder and intrigue.

I'm happy with it ending how it did (very good finale), but I would like more if they can treat it with the same attention to detail and love they crafted this with.

Spoilers in general below, episode 8 particularly...

I really thought they'd tease El's whereabouts. I don't thinks she's dead, but I'm
glad they swerved a happy ending with her being adopted or whatever. She was truly awsome at times (mainly when she was hurting bad men).

There's obviously the spawn to worry about too.

I'd love the second series to jump ahead 8-10 years. Draw upon influences from It, where the characters have made a pact to return if they need to, and also touch on horror classics like Halloween and Elm Street, where the relevant boogie man is a local myth or legend. A whole new world of pop culture to draw upon too, but then maybe the 80's setting was part of the charm.

Didn't the creators say that the show will age with the children, like the Harry Potter movies?

Apt101

It must be fun to write a show like this. I've read so much King, adored Spielberg films (and those like them) coming up, if writing for film and television was my job this is the type of gig I'd most love to land.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
just finished it was amazing monster was pretty much a
xenomorph version of http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-106 called it once i saw him traveling between dimensions leaving black substance behind even called him being attracted to violence/blood
still amazing and cant wait for a new season that guessing it will have some version of
night of the creeps/slither
going on

manfestival

They did. They said Season 2 would be a year later.

that makes sense considering how much bigger they will be when the enxt series of episodes comes through. it kinda sucks when the main characters are so young but it somehow works out in game of thrones because of traveling times and etc. feels like natural changes without having to make any announcements

Dahbomb

Great stuff. Excellent soundtrack and solid performances (especially the children). It was a little too schlocky with the school tropes (those bullies.. smh) but it works in that sort of 80s charm which was the point.

I loved the boys group, so full of youth and energy. Reminds me of the simpler times.

I just wanna give a shout out to the time-appropriate tupperware Hopper is holding in the final scene of ep 8. My mom totally had those exact ones when I was little, I remember those lids.

finished it last night and really loved it. had been hyped up for it but skipped it as I had other things to watch. touching and heartbreaking at times. fun and exhilarating at others. great great show all round and really well made.

3 take aways.

Winona Ryder is great. I think people just have a hard time swallowing a character like that.

The kids were probably the best child actors I've ever seen. By far. Wow.

The soundtrack is like auditory sex.

zoukka

Winona Ryder was the worst actor of the bunch. Dunno if it was the writing that did it or if she just cannot act. Haven't seen enough movies with her acting in them.

sohois

A good show in the end, not a great show. I feel like the show ran straight into what I would term the 'Lost' problem. They were initially building up an interesting mythos and a set of mysteries, but in the final few episodes they basically abandoned any kind of mystery element to tell a very standard monster story. They could have done something interesting with Brenner or the government agency, but in the end he was just a crazy scientist, and they were just fighting communists. They could have done something interesting with the monster, but in the end it was just an animal that eats people. They could have done something interesting with the upside down, Eleven and people's interactions with the dimension, but in the end it was just an evil version of the town. All very regular story tropes, so in the end all the drama came from the human characters and not from the world.

Of course, the flip side to this is that building up, and then satisfyingly concluding a mystery over several TV seasons is extremely difficult as Lost and its many imitators have shown. Stranger Things could have focused more on plot twists and world building, and then several seasons later ended up with mangled garbage explanations for everything that retroactively ruined the entire venture. Further, by wrapping up story threads now, Stranger Things felt like a complete story, rather than simply a prelude to the real story later on. Someone can watch Season 1 only and never watch the rest and still feel entirely satisfied with the ending.

There's not really an ideal solution, a show can either choose the high risk of mystery, or keep things simple but also lessen the interest. I'm always going to prefer the riskier option myself since I've never gone into that kind of show with expectations of a satisfying conclusion and can thus end up with something that meets my expectations or something pleasantly surprising. But I know there are plenty of others who feel differently.

Some will perhaps point out that the show does still maintain some mystery, as they showed with the season 2 hints in the finale. But for me that was the worst part of the ending, as it seemed like the creators wanted to have their cake and eat it too. I can already tell that the worm will end up just another monster, Eleven will return and the government agency will continue to be boring. That's the kind of show they're making, and that's fine, it's still good as I said above, but if they pretend things will be mysterious and it ends up predictable then the show would really suffer.

That's just what I thought.

Nev

Banned
A good show in the end, not a great show. They were initially building up an interesting mythos and a set of mysteries, but in the final few episodes they basically abandoned any kind of mystery element to tell a very standard monster story.

Exactly.

The show will be remembered for the aesthetic and the characterization, nothing more. I was quite dissapointed at the end, I can't believe they "wasted" such fantastic style and setting for that boring, safe and predictable outcome.

Bad guys were godawful, they set them up as
evil, powerful and careless suit people who shot the bar man in an instant
only to have them
die in the most stupid way after doing nothing, that Papa guy at least.
There are many times throughout the whole thing in which the bad guys have done things that are way out of character or are just unbelievable stupid stuff they do as plot device, like when
the policeman knocks three of them out without anyone noticing, despite being 2 meters away from each other. Haha fuck that really.

The show didn't need 8 episodes, there was not nearly enough development or interesting things happening in these that couldn't have been done in 2, 3 longer episodes as a mini-series.

6,5/10. Cool B-side 80s setting can only get you so far. Another overrated Tumblr/Reddit one-month obsession they put as the best thing ever.

By the way, I don't know if Winona Ryder's character was supposed to clash with everything else in the show and had to be almost unsufferable or she's just a terrible actress, but it was weird.

Also, The Duffer Brothers™ played a bit too much Silent Hill.

Aurongel

For me "well-done" isn't nearly enough anymore. We are drowning in "well-done" series's nowadays.
Isn't enough for what exactly? To be worthy of being called great?

It's a really tone-deaf opinion to say that something well made isn't worthy of praise in this day and age. One cursory glance over the entirety of television/film will tell you that 98% of shit that gets released isn't well made in any measurable way.

I may have some misgivings with certain aspects of this show but I would be an idiot if I went around telling people that it wasn't deserving of most of the praise.

Also, if we want to be a bunch of nitpicky reductive Internet dorks then every one of your favorite stories ever can be boiled down into cliche "tropes". So that's another argument I don't get.

zoukka

Isn't enough for what exactly? To be worthy of being called great?

It's a really tone-deaf opinion to say that something well made isn't worthy of praise in this day and age. One cursory glance over the entirety of television/film will tell you that 98% of shit that gets released isn't well made in any measurable way.

I may have some misgivings with certain aspects of this show but I would be an idiot if I went around telling people that it wasn't deserving of most of the praise.

That's called opinions and we just disagree. I don't think this series deserves half the praise it gets. It doesn't have personality, ambition nor is it even remarkable in executing the tropes it builds upon.

There's a drought on decent sci-fi and fantasy, which to me seems to be reason it is so beloved right now.

Also, if we want to be a bunch of nitpicky reductive Internet dorks then every one of your favorite stories ever can be boiled down into cliche "tropes". So that's another argument I don't get.

Sure. Some are used more often than others, some are executed with innovation, in some series tropes are used in self-aware ways and some series (that are called classics) re-invent those tropes and turn them inside out. In Stranger Things the whole series was a big trope and not that well executed (which is why you see the "nit-picking").

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
We finished watching this last night, what an amazing show. As someone who grew up in the late 70s early 80s it hit all the right notes. The cast was wonderful as well, especially the girl who played El. Can't wait for season 2!

guek

Banned
It doesn't have personality, ambition nor is it even remarkable in executing the tropes it builds upon.
So many people love the show precisely because it does have those attributes. You're of course entitled to your opinion and subjective experience but if the crux of your criticism is that it does these things poorly, it's just as easy to say that the show does them well.

There's a drought on decent sci-fi and fantasy, which to me seems to be reason it is so beloved right now.
This argument is justifying your own opinion and why it's not in line with other people. There's no evidence suggesting the only reason people are responding so strongly to the show is because the genre is in a drought. Sci-fi isn't even in a drought, the genre is actually in a relative boon at the moment. Fantasy, I'll give you.

Top Bottom