• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

HardRojo

Just finished watching it. Very interesting series and the ending definitely
hints at a second season.

Just a couple of questions:
Where was Hopper taken to by those suits at the end, and what was he leaving in that box and for whom?
Maybe it was obvious but I didn't quite get those parts.

Watevaman

Started this show with my girlfriend Sunday night. Only watched the first two episodes but it's really good so far. We're trying to do an episode a day so hopefully will have it done by next week.

Just finished watching it. Very interesting series and the ending definitely
hints at a second season.

Just a couple of questions:
Where was Hopper taken to by those suits at the end, and what was he leaving in that box and for whom?
Maybe it was obvious but I didn't quite get those parts.

Not sure where he's going. He's leaving food/Eggos for El

3rdman

It wasn't perfect. Winona Ryder is supposed to be a great actress but she over acts her heart out in this. That's the only flaw I can think of that brings the show down a little. It's a mild blemish on an otherwise well-acted show.

I thought she did great but in an unconventional way. She didn't simply play a woman looking for her child...she played it as a veteran of heartache and abuse. I will grant you that there was indeed something "off" about her performance but (at least to me) is it was reflection of her past.

She reminded me of people I've met in my past who were recovering addicts or abused and there are hints in the show that she "seen some shit" so if that was her goal, I think she nailed it...again, just my opinion.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
You guys are cute. Sorry I disturbed your fanboy wankfest. :)

Your abrasive attitude and the fact you won't let it go paints you as the disturbed one. You hated the show and think its all that's wrong with modern TV. What else do you have to add to the conversation?

Elandyll

Banned
I think he actually looks like a young Stephen King though I'm not sure if they were intentionally going for that.

Stephen-King-Young.jpeg

tumblr_oaohqf1EIm1vb3e4to1_400.jpg
On our first ep I told my wife: "I wonder... Could he be actually related to Stephen King?"

Just started to finally watch this last night and got through 2 episodes and I didn't want to stop. I loved what I have seen so far. Nothing ground breaking obviously but it does bring back a lot of memories of movies from the 80's which is cool.

Jonathon's actor reminds me of if you put Norman Reedus, Benicio Del Toro, Ethan Hawke, and Edward Furlong in a blender together.

I dunno about any of that. His performance is more like something young river phoenix (or even his brother) would do. Him and the sheriff and eleven were some of the better performances in here.

Kids were fun but I'm not enamored with them like I was with goonies, ET, or the recent gold standard attack the Block. That lucas was a shit too lol

n0razi

LTTP but I loved it... besides the obvious 80's influences (Spielberg), I really got a ton of The Last of Us vibes, which is a good thing.

malfcn

I had a harder time believing
Hopper turn believer and start chopping fools down and break into a secret lab, then the powers of El and the Upsidedown.
Is that a silly inconsistency for suspending belief?

HardRojo

I had a harder time believing
Hopper turn believer and start chopping fools down and break into a secret lab, then the powers of El and the Upsidedown.
Is that a silly inconsistency for suspending belief?
I don't think so,
he seemed to get on with it rather fast.

Taruranto

This seems to be more like Silent Hill than Twin Peaks.

The kids who bully whathisface are sooo baaaad.
"I BET HE DIED BECAUSE HE WAS SUCH A QUEER" "OH YEAH, THAT HE WAS"

I'm surprised they didn't high-five, lmao.

I'm not feeling the characters overall, the evil scientist is pretty bad too.

Was the librarian the same lady the sherif was shown sleeping with in episode 2?

I feel like I'm on a post-Stranger Things comedown. I had late night sessions watching this for the last three nights and now it's the fourth night without ST to watch and I feel like there's an empty void. I guess it's a testament to how good this show is that I miss it so immensely now I've finished all the episodes. Ah well - at least it's confirmed we're getting a season 2.

jelly

That was great.

Some of Dustin's lines :D

One thing I found grating was the kids shouting, that got so annoying. Turn it down a few notches next time, it was just noise at times.

RyanW

So I got curious and started looking up what other stuff the kid actors are in and saw that Millie Brown(Eleven) was in an episode of NCIS. Just got done watching it on Netflix and it was pretty good. Season 12 episode 6 for anyone interested. Makes me want to watch the BBC series Intruders that she starred in awhile back.

Rydeen

That was great.

Some of Dustin's lines :D

One thing I found grating was the kids shouting, that got so annoying. Turn it down a few notches next time, it was just noise at times.
TBH that's pretty accurate to how it felt to watch The Gonnies as an adult at times, the kids are constantly yelling and shouting in that haha.

So I got curious and started looking up what other stuff the kid actors are in and saw that Millie Brown(Eleven) was in an episode of NCIS. Just got done watching it on Netflix and it was pretty good. Season 12 episode 6 for anyone interested. Makes me want to watch the BBC series Intruders that she starred in awhile back.
No Small Parts just did an exclusive mini episode on IMDB about her, gives some info on her NCIS appearance as well as her Intruders role.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4574334/?ref_=ext_shr_eml_vi_hm_vd_nsp_mbb#lb-vi106936089

Give her another few years, she's going to be an Oscar nominee, guarantee it.

guek

Banned
It bothered me how insanely specific his advice was. Like
oh yeah of course I know the precise details on how to build an isolation tank.

tbh, it's not really difficult to do if you're familiar with them. The hardest part is the salt but that comes down to putting in enough salt to make you buoyant.

It would have been funny though if during one of those instances of questioning he responded with "I don't know!"

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Only part that brothered me was when
they put the monster out of fire with the fire extinguisher.
Seriously? Like why?

tbh, it's not really difficult to do if you're familiar with them. The hardest part is the salt but that comes down to putting in enough salt to make you buoyant.

It would have been funny though if during one of those instances of questioning he responded with "I don't know!"

From memory he gave them really specific measurements and stuff just like off the top of his head it seemed.

Rydeen

It bothered me how insanely specific his advice was. Like
oh yeah of course I know the precise details on how to build an isolation tank.
I didn't mind it. Like yeah, he's a teacher, but he's also a nerd who knows about a lot of weird science / quantum theory just because he's interested in it. I had a lot of teachers in school that knew a lot more interesting or cool stuff than the curriculum gave them room to teach.

Loved it.

This theory has probably been said many times and the show is pretty much kinda set up this way, but
I think it's all just some kid(s) imagination ie. something like Lego movie etc.

spekkeh

Banned
Going to watch the final two episodes tonight. Unless they balls it up this show is gunning straight for the top spot in my all time favorite list. I'm just constantly amazed at how well written and directed it is. So many hairs on the back of your neck moments as storylines are teased and then come to fruition. Intense and utterly engrossing, not a moment where I feel compelled to look at my smartphone. And then those cliffhangers, lawd.
I hope Netflix (or production companies) are taking a ton of cues from this.

guek

Banned
From memory he gave them really specific measurements and stuff just like off the top of his head it seemed.

Only for the salt and the amount of water which go hand in hand. If you know how much water you need, which is just enough for one person, it's not particularly difficult to give a rough estimation of how much salt you'd need.
Maybe I'm forgetting some other measurements that were stated.

Just finished it in three nights.

Great story, some great acting, the kids were all likeable. All the characters were well played.

Winona's performance was great in my opinion.

Looking forward to season 2.

jorma

is now taking requests
Ok, four episodes in and i really like it so far. The kids aren't exactly stand by me levels, but they're passable. Except Eleven, she is amazingly good.

Nice to see Winona back in action as well.

Sad that i can't see the rest until gf gets back from vacation. I think she'd almost prefer regular infidelity over netflix infidelity :-/

Guys. How scary is the show?

I cant do horror. But I want in on the buzz.

I cannot do horror either. This show was the perfect level of scary for me.

There was one scene I couldn't watch
when Nancy is in the forest at night and goes into the tree
and I had to just listen.

But the rest had me on the edge of my seat, but not in a bad way.

Great show if you love the 80s shows/movies. It kinda felt like watching something from my childhood but I couldn't remember what happens.

That's some amazing fan art. Like one of the best I've ever seen. Looks like this show has some ardent and passionate fans.

As for the horror levels since that seems to be the current point of discussion I'd say it's not that scary at all. There's just a general scary mood, ambience and atmosphere particularly when they in the
dark world or when the monster shows up
but overall it's more chilling and spooky as opposed to straight-up horror.

Like a child could watch this and probably not get too scared. It's the perfect level of scary IMO. Really suits the mood and tone of the show.

Looking forward to season 2! Enjoyed this so much. Fantastic show.

Kard8p3

Wrong dude is holding the baseball bat.
Also would have liked if Barb and the main missing kid whose name i just forgot were reflections as well.

[To be fair he was holding the bat at one point (and he made it), it just got knocked out of his hands.

mm04

I got that print to go along with the Ferguson one. With the combined shipping deal, I couldn't resist. Now to find the wall real estate for 2 instead of 1. Or retire some other art on my walls.

Top Bottom