• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

zoukka

So many people love the show precisely because it does have those attributes. You're of course entitled to your opinion and subjective experience but if the crux of your criticism is that it does these things poorly, it's just as easy to say that the show does them well.

There's plenty of criticism towards different aspects of the show in this thread.

I love how hard it is for some people to not like something without also having to concoct some scenario where those who like it have been duped or are influenced by some external force into liking it.

Like it can't just be many people think it's a great show nah i's gotta be xyz external reasons that everyone else but me has bought into and they only think they like it, unlike me who has seen the light... get over yourself

zoukka

I love how hard it is for some people to not like something without also having to concoct some scenario where those who like it have been duped or are influenced by some external force into liking it.

Like it can't just be many people think it's a great show nah i's gotta be xyz external reasons that everyone else but me has bought into and they only think they like it, unlike me who has seen the light... get over yourself

Of course people like what they like because they enjoy the different aspects of the show. I picked up the series solely on its theme, because good sci-fi and fantasy stuff is incredibly rare (not that it was good in the end).

So true of so many things...from video games to movies to tv shows to music. Go in any thread and there will be these individuals.

Nope, can't just say "Well this didn't click for me". It's gotta be that their taste is superior.

Of course people like what they like because they enjoy the different aspects of the show. I picked up the series solely on its theme, because good sci-fi and fantasy stuff is incredibly rare (not that it was good in the end).

That's so blatantly not what you just finished saying.

guek

Banned
There's plenty of criticism towards different aspects of the show in this thread.
Sure, the show has flaws, but you were essentially saying people like it so much only because they're not smart enough to realize they shouldn't. If you're going to criticize the show, criticize the show, don't make excuses for why other people largely reacted differently than you did.

zoukka

That's so blatantly not what you just finished saying.

Sure, the show has flaws, but you were essentially saying people like it so much only because they're not smart enough to realize they shouldn't. If you're going to criticize the show, criticize the show, don't make excuses for why other people largely reacted differently than you did.

Well if it came out as if I said that's the only thing why people like it, then sorry.

But yes I do believe it is one of the reasons behind all the hype.

Well if it came out as if I said that's the only thing why people like it, then sorry.

So what percentage then? Because this show is a huge hit man.

Like I almost guarantee you most of the reason this show is hyped up and successful is because people ya know liked the show.

Like dude this show broke beyond just sci-fi fan crowd in terms of numbers

It's the third most watched series on Netflix, and it doesn't have a Marvel name or a previous season to build on to boost its popularity either, just word of mouth and reviews and concept.

guek

Banned

But there isn't really a shortage of sci-fi or even fantasy at the moment. Maybe by your definition there is a shortage of "good" sci-fi or fantasy in movies and TV, but if Stranger Things is what you call "bad" sci-fi/fantasy, I'm not sure what era of TV and film you're referring to as being so much better than the present.

It's a weird argument. It'd probably be more beneficial if you criticized the show directly. It does have flaws, though none that ruin it for me.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

On the flipside it's also more likely that more people want to nitpick a show that gets so much hype. Some people just don't want to like things that are popular.

Personally I was very interested in the show since the first trailer which I watched without knowing what the show was. I've avoided reading any reviews or really anything about the show and loved it from start to finish.

It's just a really well done show.

IvanJ

Banned
Finished the show yesterday. Finally. Never have 8 episodes seemed so long.
The series started off OK, was going well, but the further it went the more boring it became.
It takes a terrible effort to make the crescendo of the show the most boring part of it.
I really cannot see where all the praise is coming from. Far from it being a bad series, but anything above 6/10 is too generous, as far as I'm concerned.

It's probably me, but for starters I do not praise or value homages. And this series has just used the homage bit so that they can freely pilfer plotlines from a selection of popular 80s movies so that they don't have to bother coming up with anything original. They are only missing a Skittles sponsorship.

But, maybe I could live with that if it were not from a swiss cheese plot and one of the most ineffective monsters ever.

Not a complete waste of time, very little to watch in the summer, so it killed 8 hours, but I would never recommend this to anyone.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Finished the show yesterday. Finally. Never have 8 episodes seemed so long.
The series started off OK, was going well, but the further it went the more boring it became.
It takes a terrible effort to make the crescendo of the show the most boring part of it.
I really cannot see where all the praise is coming from. Far from it being a bad series, but anything above 6/10 is too generous, as far as I'm concerned.

It's probably me, but for starters I do not praise or value homages. And this series has just used the homage bit so that they can freely pilfer plotlines from a selection of popular 80s movies so that they don't have to bother coming up with anything original. They are only missing a Skittles sponsorship.

But, maybe I could live with that if it were not from a swiss cheese plot and one of the most ineffective monsters ever.

Not a complete waste of time, very little to watch in the summer, so it killed 8 hours, but I would never recommend this to anyone.

You must not like much of anything if you don't care for homages. Seems like a very... arbitrary thing to dislike.

IvanJ

Banned
You must not like much of anything if you don't care for homages. Seems like a very... arbitrary thing to dislike.

Yes, because screw original ideas.
Let's just copy some films from the 80s and call it a homage.

But, I admit, still better than scene-for-scene remakes.

HStallion

You do realize the homage has existed for centuries though right? I mean do you like Star Wars because then you should probably read Valerian the comic it takes a ton of ideas and imagery from and perhaps watch Akira Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress which a lot of the plot ideas and story come from. My point is a huge amount of things you watch or read or whatever most likely contain homages, large and small just like tropes, cliches, arch types, etc.

guek

Banned

I agree that the show feels too reliant on homage at times but the notion that it doesn't do anything at all original is fairly ludicrous.

IvanJ

Banned
You do realize the homage has existed for centuries though right? I mean do you like Star Wars because then you should probably read Valerian the comic it takes a ton of ideas and imagery from and perhaps watch Akira Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress which a lot of the plot ideas and story come from. My point is a huge amount of things you watch or read or whatever most likely contain homages, large and small just like tropes, cliches, arch types, etc.

I don't like Star Wars.
It is one thing to make a movie and include a small bit as a homage (for example, have a shower murder scene or a hero with an eye patch), and completely another to have an entire series as a patchwork of homages without a single original idea to offer.

But I do not wish for my dislike to get hung up on that notion.
The series has plenty other problems aside from my personal opinion.

There are plot holes you can drive a electrical repair van through, there are terrible characterizations and cliches in abundance, there are serious pacing issues and some terrible acting jobs.

It is obvious that the show creators are very limited in their skill, in some other more skilled hands these deficiencies could have been masked better.

I don't like Star Wars.
It is one thing to make a movie and include a small bit as a homage (for example, have a shower murder scene or a hero with an eye patch), and completely another to have an entire series as a patchwork of homages without a single original idea to offer.

There are plot holes you can drive a electrical repair van through, there are terrible characterizations and cliches in abundance, there are serious pacing issues and some terrible acting jobs.

It is obvious that the show creators are very limited in their skill, in some other more skilled hands these deficiencies could have been masked better.

Ah yes the creators are low skilled hacks...

Obvious to who? You?

IvanJ

Banned
Ah yes the creators are low skilled hacks...

Obvious to who? You?

To me, of course, I am stating my opinion of the show. They did nothing...watched some 80s movies, wrote down some ideas and blended them together into an average show.

I know the next time I see the name Duffer to avoid it at all costs.

To me, of course, I am stating my opinion of the show. They did nothing...watched some 80s movies, wrote down some ideas and blended them together into an average show.

To each their own.

I think it's just funny to state the creators are obviously low skilled lol.

I don't mind when audiovisual sci-fi works doesn't have ideas that haven't already been in books, but here the ideas have been in audiovisual works already. It is still very decent even if it is not original. It is just not that sound to expect a lot more anyway, it's not like you go to watch Carpenter-like films expecting Scorsese, etc.

IvanJ

Banned
To each their own.

I think it's just funny to state the creators are obviously low skilled lol.

I never said that they are low skilled, but whatever.
It seems that you liked the show, that's fine. My dislike of it should in no way influence your affinities.

I never said that they are low skilled, but whatever.
It seems that you liked the show, that's fine. My dislike of it should in no way influence your affinities.

Trust me it doesn't....

Low and limited are relatively speaking synonyms....

I'm not going to argue the show being good with you but I will argue the idea that the artists are limited in skill.

HStallion

I don't like Star Wars.

Well fine, but I'm willing to bet your favorite movies, shows, etc. aren't "original" as you claim as needed. However I basically disagree on most of your points, especially thing like plot holes, pacing, acting and whatever.

Also the creators are hardly hacks, that's fairly insulting for such a well crafted show even if its loaded with homages, cliches, etc.

If you want derivative bull shit look up Ready Player One as that's everything Stranger Things isnt.

IvanJ

Banned
You literally said that.
You literally don't know the definition of the word literally.

Well fine, but I'm willing to bet your favorite movies, shows, etc. aren't "original" as you claim as needed. However I basically disagree on most of your points, especially thing like plot holes, pacing, acting and whatever.

Also the creators are hardly hacks, that's fairly insulting for such a well crafted show even if its loaded with homages, cliches, etc.

If you want derivative bull shit look up Ready Player One as that's everything Stranger Things isnt.

Again, I never said they are hacks. The user below said that. The show is not well crafted, it's copied and not very well, because they got lost in juggling several plots from different movies.

Trust me it doesn't....

Low and limited are relatively speaking synonyms....

I'm not going to argue the show being good with you but I will argue the idea that the artists are limited in skill.

I am ready for them to prove they are not limited. So far, they have made this TV series about as well as many other TV-directors have done on other shows. That's why I think they are limited - they are a decent for hire choice for a random episode of Wayward Pines or perhaps Sleepy Hollow or Grimm or whatever is not cancelled in the future.
They will earn my appology once they create something original and when they show some hidden talent that they seem to be hiding well so far.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

You didn't use literally the exact same words, but you did literally make the same sentiment. Unless you feel "very limited" isn't synonymous with "low"?

HStallion

Again, I never said they are hacks. The user below said that. The show is not well crafted, it's copied and not very well, because they got lost in juggling several plots from different movies.

I am ready for them to prove they are not limited. So far, they have made this TV series about as well as many other TV-directors have done on other shows. That's why I think they are limited - they are a decent for hire choice for a random episode of Wayward Pines or perhaps Sleepy Hollow or Grimm or whatever is not cancelled in the future.
They will earn my appology once they create something original and when they show some hidden talent that they seem to be hiding well so far.

Haha dude really? The show is INCREDIBLY well crafted. That's one of the reasons I like it so much. Its not sloppily done in the slightest, even how the show is filmed is incredibly well done. They used 4K digital cameras but then applied just the right amount of digital film grain to match footage filmed in the era its based on as well as putting it through proper color grading to match film stock used in the films it was emulating. Not too mention everything else that went into the filming, the cinematography, and so forth.

If you're going to try and rip something for being poorly made at least know what you're talking about. Its very well made and it shows they have quite the eye for the craft in general, not just lifting from past works. Not only that but they're working with a group of people who know what they're doing like Survive handling the score for example.

Good. You can skip Season 2 then and save the Netflix bandwidth for the rest of us who like to enjoy nice things. :)

Sami+

I just binge watched eps 3-8 after watching the first two with my gf last night. Amazing show- gonna watch it again with her to see if there's any details I missed.

mm04

Good. You can skip Season 2 then and save the Netflix bandwidth for the rest of us who like to enjoy nice things. :)

I'm reminded of the sage words of Raylan Givens. Except substitute asshole with people with bad taste. When the great majority of the people disagree with you, it's not us. It's you. But you best believe some of those folks who think this show sucks will be hate watching Season 2.

rashbeep

Banned
A good show in the end, not a great show. I feel like the show ran straight into what I would term the 'Lost' problem. They were initially building up an interesting mythos and a set of mysteries, but in the final few episodes they basically abandoned any kind of mystery element to tell a very standard monster story. They could have done something interesting with Brenner or the government agency, but in the end he was just a crazy scientist, and they were just fighting communists. They could have done something interesting with the monster, but in the end it was just an animal that eats people. They could have done something interesting with the upside down, Eleven and people's interactions with the dimension, but in the end it was just an evil version of the town. All very regular story tropes, so in the end all the drama came from the human characters and not from the world.

Of course, the flip side to this is that building up, and then satisfyingly concluding a mystery over several TV seasons is extremely difficult as Lost and its many imitators have shown. Stranger Things could have focused more on plot twists and world building, and then several seasons later ended up with mangled garbage explanations for everything that retroactively ruined the entire venture. Further, by wrapping up story threads now, Stranger Things felt like a complete story, rather than simply a prelude to the real story later on. Someone can watch Season 1 only and never watch the rest and still feel entirely satisfied with the ending.

There's not really an ideal solution, a show can either choose the high risk of mystery, or keep things simple but also lessen the interest. I'm always going to prefer the riskier option myself since I've never gone into that kind of show with expectations of a satisfying conclusion and can thus end up with something that meets my expectations or something pleasantly surprising. But I know there are plenty of others who feel differently.

Some will perhaps point out that the show does still maintain some mystery, as they showed with the season 2 hints in the finale. But for me that was the worst part of the ending, as it seemed like the creators wanted to have their cake and eat it too. I can already tell that the worm will end up just another monster, Eleven will return and the government agency will continue to be boring. That's the kind of show they're making, and that's fine, it's still good as I said above, but if they pretend things will be mysterious and it ends up predictable then the show would really suffer.

That's just what I thought.

Mirrors my thoughts

C4EMGEN

Just finished watching this after friends recommended it to me.

I'm completely blown away by this show. The story, the actors, the music... The MUSIC! It's absolutely amazing. First thing I did was look for the OST.

Can't wait for season two.

kavanf1

I'm devastated - I had it in my head that this first season was ten episodes. Started watched episode 8 last night thinking I would have a nice marathon to look forward to to finish the season off. As the episode went on I began to realise this was looking more and more like a conclusion...nooooooo.

Great show though, they really nailed the aesthetic they were going for, and the acting was universally great.

I want to know if
Doctor Brenner
is still alive.

enemy2k

Does anyone have any good articles that talk about how the series was shot. Such as cameras, composition, etc. I can definitely feel a difference in how this was shot compared to most things I've seen lately. But I'm not exactly sure why, although I have some ideas.

E-phonk

Banned
Does anyone have any good articles that talk about how the series was shot. Such as cameras, composition, etc. I can definitely feel a difference in how this was shot compared to most things I've seen lately. But I'm not exactly sure why, although I have some ideas.

This is a nice technical interview about the guy(s) who created the title sequence:
http://www.artofthetitle.com/title/stranger-things/

And here is some short info on camera's used:
http://3gr.la/shot-dragon-stranger-things-netflix
Stranger Things, an 8-part original series, is now streaming on Netflix. Shot on RED EPIC DRAGON and Leica Primes by cinematographers Tim Ives and Tod Campbell, both of Mr. Robot fame.
With some further info here: http://indiecolorgrading.com/stranger-things-color/

HStallion

This is a nice technical interview about the guy(s) who created the title sequence:
http://www.artofthetitle.com/title/stranger-things/

And here is some short info on camera's used:
http://3gr.la/shot-dragon-stranger-things-netflix

With some further info here: http://indiecolorgrading.com/stranger-things-color/

Yeah they color graded it to what it would look like if shot on film stock of the time and the also added a digital film grain filter over it based on the same film stock. Its weird because its so damn crisp thanks to being in HD but still has that slightly "rough" look films used to have.

RyanW

Dropping soon from Bottleneck:
Glen Brogan - Players Manual
12" x 16" giclee
DSoD93C.jpg
$30

Still patiently waiting on this to go up.

ineeeeeedit.gif

LifEndz

Great first season. Only drawback for me was Winona Ryder. She's a better actress than this, so I'm chalking it up to direction. She made the same timid scared face the entire season. Almost every other actor displayed more a wider range of emotions than she did.

And wtf with killing the paramedic from The Knick so early? lol

kavanf1

Great first season. Only drawback for me was Winona Ryder. She's a better actress than this, so I'm chalking it up to direction. She made the same timid scared face the entire season. Almost every other actor displayed more a wider range of emotions than she did.

Possibly because her son was missing for the entire season. I thought she did a pretty believable highly strung mother.

dan2026

Did anyone else think it was really harsh the the sheriff betrayed Elle and the rest of the kids to the evil scientists. Kinda makes him seem kinda like a dick.

Top Bottom