• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

Perfect binge for the long weekend. Encompassed all my childhood favorites while still being able to be it's own thing. This series was pretty much made for me. Can't wait for S2 next year.

hydruxo

Just finished this. Man, what a great show. Incredible atmosphere, storytelling, score and great acting from the entire cast. Millie Bobby Brown and David Harbour in particular were on point all season long acting wise. Can't wait for next season.

I went in completely blind and binged the entire season in a sitting. What a great show. Looking forward to doing the same for season 2.

I watched Firestarter last night. It's an adaptation of a Stephen King novel and is supposed to have been an influence on Stranger Things, with its synth score by Tangerine Dream and the principal character being a girl with supernatural powers.

The film hasn't aged too well (in some places its unintentionally hilarious in Garth Marenghi kind of way), but the score is excellent.

Dantis

Finished it yesterday. I hope Jonathan's actor gets props.

I found it difficult to like Nancy, but everyone else was excellent.

Taruranto

I really don't like how they are shipping the Nancy with Jonathan, I know I'm supposed to feel sorry for him because he' s pooor and his dad is a jeeeerk, but fuck him, he's creepy and also kinda of an asshole.

The scene with 11's mom (???) was weird, in another show it may have been a turning point or creepy, but since the characters are pretty much aware of everything at this point (as so are we), it kinda just there to add some background infos.

I kinda like that the characters know so much though, it's oddly refreshing.

Also, they reference Stephen King's Carrie this episode (They don't say the book name, but it's obvious), given that the series was influenced by Silent Hill (that was influenced by King's Carrie too) the references kinda went full circle lol. WE HAVE TO GO DEEPER.

Just finished this. Man, what a great show. Incredible atmosphere, storytelling, score and great acting from the entire cast. Millie Bobby Brown and David Harbour in particular were on point all season long acting wise. Can't wait for next season.

Yep, everyone was good but those two were a revelation.

reKon

Banned
Ddn't read anything on GAF about this show. I just wanted something else to watch and it was between this and Narcos. I've heard from word of mouth that this was good one. Binge watched it over a couple of days. This was some good shit and I really enjoyed it the entire season. Hope they something strong set up for season 2. Can't wait.

Just finished Season 1.

Not usually into these types of shows or movies, but it had my attention and on the edge of my seat!

Bring on season 2! :)

That Steve and Nancy on the couch with the awful sweater at the end was the best

I'm on episode 4. So far, it's amazing.

In the part where they're at the quarry, I was like, "Ya know, in 30 years from now there's going to be a zombie apocalypse and this place is gonna be their last stand."

Is this the same quarry from The Walking Dead S1?

I'm on episode 4. So far, it's amazing.

In the part where they're at the quarry, I was like, "Ya know, in 30 years from now there's going to be a zombie apocalypse and this place is gonna be their last stand."

Is this the same quarry from The Walking Dead S1?

Aren't they both filmed in Georgia? so probably

Corto

Just finished watching. Excellent show indeed. The OST was superb also. I was already loving it, but as soon as I heard the first notes of Joy Division Atmosphere I decided that this was a top show.

Crispy75

Spoiler I guess? Fantastic Stranger Things cosplay :)

FQfPaGq.jpg

manakel

Just finished a little bit ago.

1. Winona was absolutely brilliant. I'm so happy to see her return to acting.
#JusticeforBarb
Steve can go in Season 2. He's annoying as hell.

Hands down one of the best shows I've ever watched.

Minamu

My gf did the thing with some decorative lights in her hands today and starting yelling for Will. She's such a nerd, we watched the show over two days I think last week and she's been "depressed" ever since it ended because it was so good. She keeps talking about how much she miss the show :lol

hydruxo

It's crazy, this show wasn't even really on my radar until I started watching it last week. I mean I'd heard some good things here and there but I didn't look into it for whatever reason. It's easily my favorite show I've watched this year.

I wonder if they're going to try play off
Eleven being gone and tell Millie to say she isn't returning when she does interviews
. Kind of like [GoT Spoilers]
what Kit Harington did after Jon died and he told everyone he wasn't coming back when he actually was.
I hope they don't do that but I kind of feel like they will to try and catch people off guard with
Eleven's return (though it's a given she'll be back IMO).

hydruxo

Vinyl is coming out October 28th.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/09/stranger-things-score-to-be-released-on-vinyl/

nKbkF9N.png

Come October 28th, the first volume of the series’ magnetic, top-rated score will be yours to spin. The double LP will arrive in a gatefold sleeve with album credits and additional art, and yes, there will be color variants. The release date for the second volume will be announced shortly. However, there will be a 4xLP limited edition box set from Invada, whose distributing the album overseas, that should be out before Christmas.

For those that still kick around CDs, the first volume will be available on October 14th. In other words, there are way too many dates to remember and your nose might start bleeding if you try.

I've seen 3 different variants so far: black, clear, and clear with black smoke (pictured above)

Haven't really seen it up on many sites yet but Bullmoose has the black vinyl still in stock. I preordered the clear w/ black smoke on that site too but it seems like they are sold out at the moment so if anyone is interested in that color just keep checking back.

I gotta say, I love the restraint they showed at the end by

Not having the mom and cop get together, not having nancy and jonathan get together, not having a cheeky little signal from eleven when mike looked back at her empty bed-nest...
. Even if you wanted it, they knew it would somewhat lose the reality of the piece. Great stuff.

I gotta say, I love the restraint they showed at the end by

Not having the mom and cop get together, not having nancy and jonathan get together, not having a cheeky little signal from eleven when mike looked back at her empty bed-nest...
. Even if you wanted it, they knew it would somewhat lose the reality of the piece. Great stuff.

I very much enjoyed that as well. Of course, there is Season 2 where things can happen...

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Great show, but the last episode wasn't as good overall as the 7 previous.

Felt rushed, should have been another 2 episodes to really flesh out the other world before it all just exploding like that.

Still enjoyed it.. and it makes me want someone to do a HBO/Netflix style take on the Passage.

Just started it a few days ago and finished it.
Don't know the general opinion on anything regarding this show except for that it is liked. I feel like this is probably unpopular but I liked Steve's character arc and prefered that Nancy & Steve be in a relationship after Steve ditched his friends, or changed. The actual end where it showed them on the couch together didn't satisfy me as much as I hoped because I wanted to see more exposition or something with Nancy and Steve about his mistakes and yadayada, and for him to have a more substantial talk with Jonathan, but yeah.

Show was good.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just started it a few days ago and finished it.
Don't know the general opinion on anything regarding this show except for that it is liked. I feel like this is probably unpopular but I liked Steve's character arc and prefered that Nancy & Steve be in a relationship after Steve ditched his friends, or changed. The actual end where it showed them on the couch together didn't satisfy me as much as I hoped because I wanted to see more exposition or something with Nancy and Steve about his mistakes and yadayada, and for him to have a more substantial talk with Jonathan, but yeah.

Show was good.

Its a cultural phenomenon at this point so you're in good company

Binge watched this week with the wife, we both absolutely loved it and I am now officially in the Duffer Brothers fan club, can't wait to see more from them.

Beyond all the usual things people liked about this show, I absolutely loved how realistic the kids were and how there were 3 "strands" - kids, teens, adults - that each knew a bit more than the others and how it all came together in the end, naturally. Just amazing story telling and setup. Really amazing to see in this era of peak TV something come and raise the bar even higher for everyone else.

Chabbles

Decent for the most part, but i think the last ep., it really is proper shit, the last 2 in particular dropped off massively for me. They rush everything trying to tie up all loose ends in the finale, and it just gets too cheesy. The first 4 or 5 ep's were pretty good though. The audio and 80's theme really made it watchable.

Looks like 9 episodes then?

MADMAX
THE BOY WHO CAME BACK TO LIFE
THE PUMPKIN PATCH
THE PALACE
THE STORM
THE POLLYWOG
THE SECRET CABIN
THE BRAIN
THE LOST BROTHER

Or maybe 8, seeing as MADMAX doesn't fit the pattern. Might be a "season title"

I would not be surprised if they were episode titles, but this early would also surprise me.

bionic77

I just finished and I loved every second of this show.

My only nitpick is
that I wish they went full on happy 80s ending with Hopper adopting eleven to replace his lost daughter and Will not having any left over alien boogers in his system or some equivalent of that. I also don't think that the follow up can be as satisfying because much of the pleasure was seeing the journeys these different people took to figure out and confront the issue their small town was having

Still looking forward to season 2, but I don't see how they can top that. Would have been better if they just started anew.

Really great show. It was hard to stop watching it.

tmdorsey

I just finished and I loved every second of this show.

My only nitpick is
that I wish they went full on happy 80s ending with Hopper adopting eleven to replace his lost daughter and Will not having any left over alien boogers in his system or some equivalent of that. I also don't think that the follow up can be as satisfying because much of the pleasure was seeing the journeys these different people took to figure out and confront the issue their small town was having

Still looking forward to season 2, but I don't see how they can top that. Would have been better if they just started anew.

Really great show. It was hard to stop watching it.

Welcome to the party bionic!

I watched Firestarter last night. It's an adaptation of a Stephen King novel and is supposed to have been an influence on Stranger Things, with its synth score by Tangerine Dream and the principal character being a girl with supernatural powers.

The film hasn't aged too well (in some places its unintentionally hilarious in Garth Marenghi kind of way), but the score is excellent.

Speaking of Tangerine Dream, they have covered a couple of songs from the soundtrack
The Title theme
https://soundcloud.com/tangerinedreamofficial2015/without-glitch

bionic77

Welcome to the party bionic!
It was an amazing ride!

They are going to have to be really creative for a season 2 of this to work.

And they better get it up quick as those kids are going to age fast.

No matter what happens I am down for the second season. They earned my viewing time with this amazing show!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Just marathoned this.

Good child actors, amazing, really
A bit too tropey
Winona did great, I really dug her third (fourth?) of the story the most
Not enough psychic/Vale of Shadows stuff
Ugh Steve/Nancy/Jonathan dynamic
Barbara got done dirty

I think I either found a mistake or maybe I just don't remember thing correctly.

Around mid-season, a woman comes to the dissapeared child's house with a little girl, the little girl starts following the blinking lights without the adults noticing, until she ends up in a room alone, and a hand starts reaching out to her through the wall.

Aren't blinking lights real people in the other world? Shouldn't the monster be turning the lights off?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I think I either found a mistake or maybe I just don't remember thing correctly.

Around mid-season, a woman comes to the dissapeared child's house with a little girl, the little girl starts following the blinking lights without the adults noticing, until she ends up in a room alone, and a hand starts reaching out to her through the wall.

Aren't blinking lights real people in the other world? Shouldn't the monster be turning the lights off?

That is Nancy and Mike's mother and their little sister.
The monster causes all kinds of electrical disturbances when its around.

That is Nancy and Mike's mother and their little sister.
The monster causes all kinds of electrical disturbances when its around.

I'm terrible with names.

But I thought it was clearly established that
lights start flashing in a weird way all over the place = monster, some lights start turning on in a specific pattern = human in that place in the other world.

The Beard

I'm terrible with names.

But I thought it was clearly established that
lights start flashing in a weird way all over the place = monster, some lights start turning on in a specific pattern = human in that place in the other world.

Yeah, it was.

The portal between dimensions, which the monster travels through, is what causes the big electrical interferences. A person walking around in the dark world, causes lights to go on at that same place in the normal world.

Yeah, it was.

The portal between dimensions, which the monster travels through, is what causes the big electrical interferences. A person walking around in the dark world, causes lights to go on at that same place in the normal world.

Well then this scene doesn't make any sense, does it?:

The Beard

Well then this scene doesn't make any sense, does it?:

It was never a defined "rule". I suppose that the monster's energy could light up the bulbs as it walked down the hall just as a person's would. It's only when the monster opened a portal, that all the electronics would start to freak out.

Top Bottom