• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

- ‘Stranger Things’ Netflix Series Adds Two New Regulars. Promotes Two For Season 2
The supernatural drama series from brothers Matt and Ross Duffer has added new series regulars Sadie Sink and Dacre Montgomery and promoted Joe Keery (Steve Harrington) and Noah Schnapp (Will Byers) to regulars from recurring. They’ll join series stars Wynona Ryder, Finn Wolfhard, Gaten Matarazzo, Caleb McLaughlin and Millie Bobby Brown, who recently signed with WME in a very competitive situation.

Sink will play Max
, a tough and confident girl whose appearance, behavior and pursuits seem more typical of boys than of girls in this era. She has a complicated history and is generally suspicious of those around her.

Montgomery is Billy
, Max’s hyper-confident, and edgy older step-brother. He steals girlfriends away from their boyfriends, is great at drinking games, and drives a black Camaro. But lurking under his apparent charisma, is a violent and unpredictable nature.

Cat Party

Just finished the show. I don't binge watch so it took me a while. Where do I find a summary of the theories for what is going on with
Hooper and the box and those men who he got in the ca with
?

Also,
did Hooper really sell Eleven out? It doesn't fit his character at all to sacrifice her, nor would he believe that the boys would be safe. And did Dr. Brenner really die?

dakun

Just finished the show. I don't binge watch so it took me a while. Where do I find a summary of the theories for what is going on with
Hooper and the box and those men who he got in the ca with
?

Also,
did Hooper really sell Eleven out? It doesn't fit his character at all to sacrifice her, nor would he believe that the boys would be safe. And did Dr. Brenner really die?

The Stranger Thing sub-reddit is pretty good. It has a FAQ which explains some of the stuff you asked about. Also alot of theories about how the show could progress.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StrangerThings/

I tried to answer some of your questions but you have to understand though that alot of things can't be answered as of now.

Yes Hopper did sell Eleven out to have a chance to get to Will. One theory is that he knew she could handle herself. But i think it's just more likely that at that desperate point his priority was to get to Will. And Eleven was his only bargaining chip for that. Remember he knows next to nothing about her other than meeting her that one time, so his attachment to her is quite low. Hopper is a more complicated character. I wouldn't describe him as the guy who wouldn't sell someone he barely knows out to accomplish something he prioritized.

One theory is that the people in the car were from the Hawkins Lab and he has a deal with them. It's quite possible that they didn't give up looking for Eleven. Hopper might also feel guilty for selling her out which explains the "Eggo's in the Box" thing. My opinion is that Hopper is most likely the only character that knows about Elevens whereabouts due to his ties to the Lab.

Also Brenner didn't die as far as i heard, he got jumped (like Jonathan) but the monster was probably distracted by all the other people shooting at it.

kirblar

Just finished this. Easily the best thing Netflix has done due to the absurd consistency. Hopefully Defenders being 8 eps is Marvel paying attention.

Great to see that they got the same "take whatever ep count you like" deal that Penny Dreadful did - hopefully it doesn't share the same fate.

I now really want a Bryan Fuller Netflix series too.
I gotta say, I love the restraint they showed at the end by

Not having the mom and cop get together, not having nancy and jonathan get together, not having a cheeky little signal from eleven when mike looked back at her empty bed-nest...
. Even if you wanted it, they knew it would somewhat lose the reality of the piece. Great stuff.
Nancy/Steve/Johnathan is totally
Jean Grey/Cyclops/Wolverine. John will be the perpetual third wheel.

Watched one episode yesterday and the rest today. Man, what a great show. I've no idea why they'd want to do a season two with the same characters though. Everything seemed neatly wrapped up by the end.

IronRinn

Quoting myself because more art:

Scott Campbell's print for MondoCon (10/22-10/23) "Forest of Things". He is going to hold some for online sales the week following MondoCon.
Cu_UlrJXYAQf0Jn.jpg

hydruxo

Watched one episode yesterday and the rest today. Man, what a great show. I've no idea why they'd want to do a season two with the same characters though. Everything seemed neatly wrapped up by the end.

There are plenty of loose ends to delve into still

-Eleven's whereabouts
-Hopper's involvement with the government + what he knows about Eleven (eggos at the end of the finale)
-The slugs that Will is throwing up / his new possible powers
-Origin and mythology of the Upside Down (Duffers have a 30 page doc about this)
-More background on MK ULTRA and the other 10 experiments before Eleven (Dr. Brenner is presumed to be alive)
Probably some more I'm forgetting, but that's more than enough for another season.

So I just finished the season. I haven't been this enamoured and riveted with a show in a long time. Part of it is nostalgia for sure, I was a kid during this era (younger than the characters), but everything about the show is just perfect.

I guess only the final episode bothered me. Making Eleven a martyr but saving Will (who we didn't know long enough to even care about) was the expected thing, but pissed me off. Eleven had a short, shitty life and that's what you leave her with? Eating Eggos all alone in the Upside Down world (or whatever dimension she's in)? I guess we should expect her role in this isn't over, but I would've much preferred Eleven to stay around as a main character.

I was also surprised that Steve ended up with Nancy. If this was any self-respecting 1980's movie Steve would've been last seen face down in a pile of cow shit and it would've ended with a final shot of Nancy having dinner with Jonathan's family.

kavanf1

So I just finished the season. I haven't been this enamoured and riveted with a show in a long time. Part of it is nostalgia for sure, I was a kid during this era (younger than the characters), but everything about the show is just perfect.

I guess only the final episode bothered me. Making Eleven a martyr but saving Will (who we didn't know long enough to even care about) was the expected thing, but pissed me off. Eleven had a short, shitty life and that's what you leave her with? Eating Eggos all alone in the Upside Down world (or whatever dimension she's in)? I guess we should expect her role in this isn't over, but I would've much preferred Eleven to stay around as a main character.

I was also surprised that Steve ended up with Nancy. If this was any self-respecting 1980's movie Steve would've been last seen face down in a pile of cow shit and it would've ended with a final shot of Nancy having dinner with Jonathan's family.

What makes you think that
Eleven is dead
?

And the Steve and Nancy thing
was a lot more realistic than Jonathan ending up with her, IMO.
Also, the creators said their original vision was basically what you said, where
Steve was this despicable character so Nancy ended up with Jonathan, but the actor who played Steve did such a good job of making him appealing in spite of often being a dick that they changed things around.

mm04

And the Steve and Nancy...

Yep, seriously, think back to your high school days. More often than not, when
a couple would break up, they'd get back together. That was ridiculously common when I was a teenager. Off again, on again, rinse, repeat.
And actually, there were signs early that Steve wasn't all that bad. He actually eventually helped Nancy study and he scolded his friends for making fun of Jonathan while posting the signs. So even early on he wasn't entirely a bad apple.

KahooTs

Show was good. Winona was ace and the actor playing Steve was great too. Writing was strong and basically everyone was likeable.

The children's dialogue was too sophisticated and it was jarring. Some of the action scenes in the finale were awkward.

There may be some mileage left in how they've established the alternate dimension with which to push out more seasons, but it shouldn't be with these characters.

What makes you think that
Eleven is dead
?

And the Steve and Nancy thing
was a lot more realistic than Jonathan ending up with her, IMO.
Also, the creators said their original vision was basically what you said, where
Steve was this despicable character so Nancy ended up with Jonathan, but the actor who played Steve did such a good job of making him appealing in spite of often being a dick that they changed things around.

I didn't say Eleven is dead. I surmise that she's stuck in Upside Down or some other parallel dimension. Hopper left her food, so she's out there somewhere in some form where she can reach the food, but I certainly don't think she's camping out in the woods in physical form. So effectively she's dead as far as the show is concerned, unless she comes back as a ghost next season. I'm just upset that she got the worst end of the deal after such a horrible life, stuck in some other dimension. And honestly as a viewer she was one of the most charming characters, so with her probably gone I feel like I should keep expectations low for next season.

Oh sure, Steve and Nancy together is the realistic thing. I'm just saying it's a deviation from the 1980's movie trope where the outcast always ends up with the girl and the rich guy learns a lesson in humility.

kavanf1

I didn't say Eleven is dead. I surmise that she's stuck in Upside Down or some other parallel dimension. Hopper left her food, so she's out there somewhere in some form where she can reach the food, but I certainly don't think she's camping out in the woods in physical form. So effectively she's dead as far as the show is concerned, unless she comes back as a ghost next season. I'm just upset that she got the worst end of the deal after such a horrible life, stuck in some other dimension. And honestly as a viewer she was one of the most charming characters, so with her probably gone I feel like I should keep expectations low for next season.

Oh sure, Steve and Nancy together is the realistic thing. I'm just saying it's a deviation from the 1980's movie trope where the outcast always ends up with the girl and the rich guy learns a lesson in humility.
Ah right, your use of the word martyr threw me as a martyr is someone who gets killed for their beliefs. I think they know Eleven is
too much of a favourite to kill her off, on that alone I feel hopeful that she will still feature significantly in season 2.
Fingers crossed anyway.

Yep, seriously, think back to your high school days. More often than not, when
a couple would break up, they'd get back together. That was ridiculously common when I was a teenager. Off again, on again, rinse, repeat.
And actually, there were signs early that Steve wasn't all that bad. He actually eventually helped Nancy study and he scolded his friends for making fun of Jonathan while posting the signs. So even early on he wasn't entirely a bad apple.

Yeah there were loads of times I wanted to hate Steve but couldn't bring myself to, which says a lot about the actor playing him. Also, the actor playing Jonathan did a great job of treading the line between likeable and downright creepy. They both fleshed out what could have been very stereotypical roles.

dakun

we can be pretty sure
Eleven will be back. The actress that plays her, Millie Bobby Brown, got scripts for season 2. She and David Harbour who plays Hopper basically confirmed that at NYCC. And as far as i know, no actor who is gone from the show will continue getting scripts.

Also i don't believe that she's dead anyway. I think Season 2 will explore the search to find and bring back Eleven to the real world. Similarly to how Season 1 was about the search to find Will. That's why Season 2 is confirmed to explore the UpsideDown way more than in Season 1 in my opinion.
We know from Season 1 that you can be in another dimension, gone from the real world and still be alive. Hopper, Joyce, Nancy and Will made that trip back and forth. And we also know the Portal to the UpsideDown is very much still there. So with the Hawkins Lab and Hopper now being in some sort of deal, i do think they are very much interested in finding Eleven.

we can be pretty sure
Eleven will be back. The actress that plays her, Millie Bobby Brown, got scripts for season 2. She and David Harbour who plays Hopper basically confirmed that at NYCC. And as far as i know, no actor who is gone from the show will continue getting scripts.

Also i don't believe that she's dead anyway. I think Season 2 will explore the search to find and bring back Eleven to the real world. Similarly to how Season 1 was about the search to find Will. That's why Season 2 is confirmed to explore the UpsideDown way more than in Season 1 in my opinion.
We know from Season 1 that you can be in another dimension, gone from the real world and still be alive. Hopper, Joyce, Nancy and Will made that trip back and forth. And we also know the Portal to the UpsideDown is very much still there. So with the Hawkins Lab and Hopper now being in some sort of deal, i do think they are very much interested in finding Eleven.

That's good to hear.
I assumed she wouldn't be completely gone from the show. Yeah, the only concern with Upside Down is that it's established to be a toxic atmosphere, which is why I think we saw Will becoming very weak towards the end (before he was captured). Perhaps Eleven has some immunity, or it could set up a race against time. Either way, I can't imagine Hawkins lab has anything good planned for Eleven if they get her back. Not thrilled that Hopper is working with them and was instantly ready to throw her under the bus to get Will back.

Rootbeer

Banned
thought i was done with POP! but... i might have to get some of these. Could be the only Stranger Things figures to ever get made.

hydruxo

yeah I'm getting all of them.. fml

Same, could do without Barb though lol. It's a shame they gave into the Barb meme hype instead of making figures for characters who were actually vital to the plot (Hopper, Joyce, Nancy, Steve, Jonathan)

Solo

They're about 6 months behind S1 when it commenced photography last year. Wondering if this won't be an October or November 2017 release.

dakun

They're about 6 months behind S1 when it commenced photography last year. Wondering if this won't be an October or November 2017 release.

what do you mean? Season 1 filming started in October 2015 and ended in March 2016. They took about 11 days per episode according to Shawn Levy. So they are still in a reasonable time frame for a summer release.

Solo

what do you mean? Season 1 filming started in October 2015 and ended in March 2016. They took about 11 days per episode according to Shawn Levy. So they are still in a reasonable time frame for a summer release.

Where did you get that info from?

I recall the interview where they convinced Millie to shave her head because Mad Max had just hit and Charlize looked so cool, and Mad Max was out in May, so I always figured it commenced photography in like June or July.

dakun

Where did you get that info from?

I recall the interview where they convinced Millie to shave her head because Mad Max had just hit and Charlize looked so cool, and Mad Max was out in May, so I always figured it commenced photography in like June or July.

There are multiple interviews out there where some of the actors stated that shooting took about 6 months starting from October. I think one was from a Comic Con panel. The 11 days per episode info i got from a video interview with Shawn Levy talking about the creation of Stranger Things.

Just an example but here's the original casting call for Stranger Things extras with shooting dates going from October 2015 to April 2016.

http://www.projectcasting.com/casti...eries-stranger-things-casting-call-in-atlanta

Actually David Harbour also confirmed that he'll be shooting season 2 for 6 months on twitter. So they'll probably wrap production up in April 2017 and have 3-4 months of post-production.

Solo

Cool, thanks!

So maybe not November, but maybe a month later than this year. Somewhere between mid-July and end of August would seem to be reasonable then. Would be cool if they could hit mid-July again.

More S2 casting news:Stranger Things 2 exclusive: The Goonies, Aliens stars join Netflix series
Danish actress Linnea Berthelsen has been cast as Roman. Per Netflix, she’s
“an emotionally damaged, magnetic young woman who suffered a great loss as a child. Although she does not live in Hawkins, she is mysteriously connected to the supernatural events at the lab…”

Sean Astin (The Goonies, Lord of the Rings trilogy) will play Bob Newby,
“a kindhearted former nerd who went to high school with Joyce (Winona Ryder) and Hopper (David Harbour) and now manages the local Hawkins RadioShack.”

Paul Reiser (Aliens, Whiplash) has been cast as Dr. Owens,
“a high-ranking member within the Department of Energy on a ‘clean-up’ assignment, tasked with containing the events of last year.”

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
You know, Burke Dr. Owens, I don't know which species is worse. You don't see them fucking each other over for a goddamn percentage.

Just finished watching.
Definitely one of my favorite things from recent memory. Sooo good. Great show.

That said... Season 2? Nuh uh... Unless it's an anthology series, it's almost certainly going to detract from the original package, even if it's still good.

hydruxo

Just finished watching.
Definitely one of my favorite things from recent memory. Sooo good. Great show.

That said... Season 2? Nuh uh... Unless it's an anthology series, it's almost certainly going to detract from the original package, even if it's still good.

Waaaay too early to make any assumptions like that. I have faith in the Duffer Brothers. They're still keeping the same core writing/producing team in tact. Plus I don't see how it would detract from S1 if it's still good. That doesn't make sense.

Waaaay too early to make any assumptions like that. I have faith in the Duffer Brothers. They're still keeping the same core writing/producing team in tact. Plus I don't see how it would detract from S1 if it's still good. That doesn't make sense.

It could detract from S1 if it opens a whole new can of worms, takes previously existing characters, and stretches them even thinner. It's what sequels often do.

S1 will always be great, but S2 would have to be better to justify rounding up all these characters again, trying to come up with new motivations and development arcs. I'm just saying, that's putting a lot at risk, because S1 was done so well!

Also, great movies don't need sequels.

But yeah, that was great, so I'm looking forward to what they do next, particularly knowing the core team is intact.

Just got around to watching season 1. Great show. Someone probably made the connection, but is Eleven supposed to be a homage or reference to Paula from Earthbound when she dresses up? She has psychic powers too!

83078c4fd114ba5cd9d3c805493c4455.jpg

MTQxNjM2MjM2NTY4NzAwNTE4.gif

Top Bottom