• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

mm04

Framing finished. These are pretty high quality prints, all things considered.

WP_20160915_20_28_30_Rich_LI.jpg

Just watched the first two episodes. I like this so far, and the child actors are great. I have a question about an early death.

The diner guy....how in the world did the cop go yup; that's a suicide. The lady shot him from behind when he was several feet away; yet in the next scene he has an entry wound towards his front forehead...what?

Draft

Just watched the first two episodes. I like this so far, and the child actors are great. I have a question about an early death.

The diner guy....how in the world did the cop go yup; that's a suicide. The lady shot him from behind when he was several feet away; yet in the next scene he has an entry wound towards his front forehead...what?
Stranger Things is great, but it has a bunch of dubious storytelling. My suggestion is to let it slide off your back and appreciate that sometimes a little plot hole is necessary to fit a lot of story into 8 hour long episodes.

hydruxo

Really? Cool. Get the Oxenfree devs to do it

Yeah, here's a link to the interview: http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/03/stranger-things-creators-want-to-make-a-video-game-to-connect-to-season-2

Speaking with IGN about the end of the recently released eight-episode first season, executive producers Matt and Ross Duffer revealed they'd have to jump forward a year in the timeline of the show for the supposed next season. And if they could tell the story of that missing year in any medium, they'd prefer to do it as a video game.

"...What I really want is a video game," Ross Duffer said when posed with the idea of a comic book telling the story of that year in between seasons.

"Like an 8-bit… These fans, a lot of them have done this 8-bit video game art that’s blowing my mind," Matt Duffer said.

Zapages

One of the most fun shows ever... You just have to turn off your brain while watching it... Also its not that scary/freaky.

Also can't wait for season 2!

SillyJoe

Can't believe I only heard about this on Sunday. Saw the reviews and registered a Netflix account straight away. Finished now and... oh. my. god. Loved it.

Doubt the second season will be as good though. Actually I was surprised to see that they were doing one as I thought it was more of a one and done type show -- wouldn't wan't to tarnish the masterpiece as it currently stands with a mediocre season, you know? Still, high hopes.

Syriel

Blind posting because I just found the OT and just finished Episode 6.

All I have to say so far is:

giphy.gif

Can't wait to finish off the series.

Will post more thoughts when I don't have to worry about spoilers.

Taruranto

Finished.

Meh, it was ok I guess. The mystery ended up being kinda lame and the characters kinda paper-thin, but ok.

In episode seven and eight
it was kinda weird how no one of the adults seemed to care for Eleven much, Will's mum tried to bond with her a little in one scene, but after that she basically forgot she even existed. I was expecting the sherif to be at least more involved given how he lost a daughter, but nope, he even sell her out!

Zapages

Thinking about the show again... Did anyone else feel like it was like a Are you Afraid of the Dark episode done right with an addition of 80s vibe to it?

hydruxo

Thinking about the show again... Did anyone else feel like it was like a Are you Afraid of the Dark episode done right with an addition of 80s vibe to it?

It felt like an extended movie to me rather than a tv show. Like, it all just flowed perfectly. They nailed the 80s vibe for sure.

shanafan

Finally can come into this topic worry-free after finishing the season.

Ok, so maybe just me here - but Hopper sounds almost exactly like Harrison Ford during the entire season. If I closed my eyes, I swear he sounded like Ford.

hydruxo

Finally can come into this topic worry-free after finishing the season.

Ok, so maybe just me here - but Hopper sounds almost exactly like Harrison Ford during the entire season. If I closed my eyes, I swear he sounded like Ford.

Funny you say that, David Harbour is a big fan of Harrison Ford and Han Solo/Indiana Jones were actually huge influences on how he wanted to portray the character.

Here's a good interview of him talking about it and other things about the show

dakun

This show has become my obsession.
i first heard of the show after i watched them perform at the Emmys. i thought "well those kids are talented, lets see how the show is"
and damn i wasn't disappointed. An unbelievably good cast, tight episode with no unnecessary filler, high tension scenes mixed with more emotional and funny ones.

It's definitely among my favorite series. I hope they have a good vision for where the series is going in the future.

And i can't finish without adding. Millie Bobby Brown is amazing.
I hope she'll be back in S2. They kinda have to since she's so central to the story.

Syriel

Liked the way the show wrapped up, but wish they would have gone a little deeper with the monster
as it likely wasn't the only living in the Upside Down.

Also, it was never explained why
power worked in the Upside Down
near the monster's lair.

Would have also liked to have seen some reason for why the Upside Down was in its current state. I mean, it's supposed to be
a decaying version of our world, but starting from when? Why does it seem like a current mirror rather than an older one?
For example,
why are the Upside Down cars from the 80s and not from the 50s?

hydruxo

Liked the way the show wrapped up, but wish they would have gone a little deeper with the monster
as it likely wasn't the only living in the Upside Down.

Also, it was never explained why
power worked in the Upside Down
near the monster's lair.

Would have also liked to have seen some reason for why the Upside Down was in its current state. I mean, it's supposed to be
a decaying version of our world, but starting from when? Why does it seem like a current mirror rather than an older one?
For example,
why are the Upside Down cars from the 80s and not from the 50s?

The Duffer Bros have a 30 page document about the mythology and origin of the Upside Down, and they've only scratched the surface on it with Season 1. So lots more to come in the next season to hopefully answer most of your questions.

Can't believe nobody commented on these, they are freaking awesome!

That is because when I saw them in this thread (first time I ever saw them) I spent the rest of my time trying to find me that D&D inspired one. So sad I was way too late.

Yeah I was really bummed I missed out on those. Really awesome prints.

I bought this one the other day:

That one is nice too and not a bad price.

RedSwirl

Just finished episode 6. I'll admit, it's good.

Originally I wasn't rushing to watch it because everyone was shouting "nostalgia!" as the main reason to watch it. I've had enough nostalgia mining from the media, that alone isn't enough. That said I'll admit that if you move the setting up by about 15 years, Lucas basically is me, right down to the strapped-on utility belt and military bandanna. But aside from that, this actually is a really good mystery show. They're doing a nice job of having the plot unfurl through multiple points of view, to where you just keep waiting to see if they'll all link it up by the end.

Just finished episode 6. I'll admit, it's good.

Originally I wasn't rushing to watch it because everyone was shouting "nostalgia!" as the main reason to watch it.
That's why the show is so good. I have zero nostalgia or frame of reference for anything in this show's era, and I still loved it

So while nostalgia is a nice bonus, it's not the show's main strength

Vyer

Finally got around to watching this and yeah, it was freakin great.

what are the theories about the 'egg' in upside down?

Roo

So I know I'm late to the party but I don't care, had other series to catch on to lol
Anyway, it was really good. I have to say I was impressed at the good job nailing the 80's look. From the music to the clothing and atmosphere.

You sometimes see movies and/or shows where they go "back in time" but there's usually something that feels wrong. Like, they can't capture the full essence of a decade. Little details that make the whole thing fall apart.

Not here, no. IMO, they did a great job.
Kids were just amazing. They are really talented.
The story definitely has a lot of potential for future seasons. Although there was some suspense at the very end, it didn't finish in a "OMG, what the fuck is going to happen now?" way like other shows' finales tend to do (which I personally appreciate, I hate when they simply leave you hanging there)

Great show. I'm loving all the Netflix original series so far. Marco Polo and Sense8 are my favorites but this one is a strong contender as well.

btw...
poor Barb, girl didn't see it coming :(

Finally watched the show last week and loved it. Binged it in 2 nights which I wasn't expecting. Damn good show.

Can't wait for season 2.

I wonder if
Mike's dad will have a bigger role. I kept thinking the show would reveal he knows more than he lets on.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Finally watched the show last week and loved it. Binged it in 2 nights which I wasn't expecting. Damn good show.

Can't wait for season 2.

I wonder if
Mike's dad will have a bigger role. I kept thinking the show would reveal he knows more than he lets on.

He doesn't even know his own kids all that well. I think you may be giving him more credit than is due.

He doesn't even know his own kids all that well. I think you may be giving him more credit than is due.

It seemed like they kept his character vague besides the mother mentioning he had a good job for the area. I just kept being reminded of twists where the inattentive father is actually a mid level worker for the shadow group.

Either way, definitely excited to see where the season goes.

Raylan

Banned
Sooooo I finished watching it a few days ago and..... IT'S AWESOME!
One of my favourite TV Series ever. And I watched a lot of them. A LOT! Millie Brown (as Eleven) is fantastic. Super cute. Now I want a daughter like her (in 10 years maybe :p ).

All I can say is: Keep the 80s theme. It's what makes this so special. The 80s synth soundtrack, the 80s look, the town, the wardrobe.... everything. Keep it! Damn, it's so, SO damn good!

<3

- THR: The Duffer Brothers Are Reading Your 'Stranger Things' Reddit Theories (interview)

A few selected quotes:
Did you have a good idea of what you wanted to do when you started?

Matt: Even way back when we pitched to Netflix the first season, we talked about where it would potentially go. They understood the potential. Season one does almost feel like a big movie that comes to a sort of ending. A lot of that was based on the character of Will and the repercussions of him being in this upside down world for a week. Exploring that would be the second season. Once we got into the room for season two, we started expanding our mythology. We never got boxed in, because we’re dealing with an alternate dimension. It feels like the possibilities are limitless. We’re building up the mythology in a way that we know now where we want the story and these characters to end. We have more of a game plan now than we did two years ago.
Where are you guys with casting?

Matt: We did a wide, wide search for one new kid that we're adding. She's a cool new character.

Nine is an even more specific episode count than eight. How did you land there?

Matt: It’s a weird number, right?

Ross: Netflix didn’t pressure us to do more or anything. We don’t feel like we need a full 10 episodes. But it can’t quite fit in eight, so that’s how we ended up in nine. And I think in future seasons it will be the same thing. Let’s break out the story and see what we need. Whatever number it ends up at, great. The thing I like about keeping it down to eight or nine is that we’re able to more meticulously control things and try to keep it from turning into this machine that’s grinding things out. If it gets much longer, it could become unwieldy and just turn into a traditional show — which is what we’re avoiding.

Matt: I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that we didn’t grow up watching any television. Mostly, we watched movies. We like the pacing of film, so what we want to as much as possible is make the show feel like a movie.

Ross: And what we’re actually able to do the second season is ramp it up like a coaster that just keeps getting bigger and bigger, and it builds to this big, climatic finale. That was harder in the first season because Will was taken right away and everyone was on high alert. The concern, if we did 13 episodes or something, would be having to tread water. We like this format, but we’ll see where the story goes.

Matt: And each episode can be however long we want it to be. I asked Netflix, straight up, "How many episodes do you want?" They really did say, "Whatever you think you need to tell the story" — even after the show became successful.
More via the link.

Top Bottom